Aurora Rising

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Mar 2019

If there was ever a book that undoubtedly lives up to the hype and then some it's this.one.

Featuring the best ragtag band of misfits since Six of Crows, Squad 312 are trying to save the universe, one disastrous fudge-up at a time. Loaded with action, humour and lovable characters that will tug at your heartstrings, Aurora Rising has undeniably won its space in my heart that is reserved for those rare few books that just GET it. I cannot wait to see where Amie and Jay take this story and one thing is for certain - they're gonna' give us one hell of a ride as they do it!
When star pilot Tyler Jones lets off a little steam, taking an unregistered flight, he doesn't expect to find a a miracle girl who has been trapped in space for two hundred years. Nor does he expect to end up with the crew nobody wants, taking on a mission nobody would believe.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a lot of fun.

It starts with Tyler, who is the best of the best, at the Aurora Academy. He follows every rule precisely and is bound for amazing things, just like his famous father. Things are knocked off track when he rescues a strange young women from a ruined spaceship.
His heroism is rewarded with missing the Selection, and instead of getting the pick of the best crew, he gets the rejects nobody else wanted.

The girl he rescued, Aurora, has an even stranger time of it all. She was supposed to be joining her dad on an early colonisation mission; but instead she is lost in space for 200 years. When she wakes up, there are aliens and strange visions, and the fact that everyone she knows is dead. It's a lot for anyone to deal with, but it gets even more complicated when she realises she might have landed in a massive conspiracy.

Tyler's crew are great. It becomes clear that they all have their own skills, they just don't perform well in tests, or conform to the boring student model.
They each have their turn narrating, as they squabble and clash, and start to turn into a real team.
It's funny and full of banter, and each character has their own view on life.

Their adventure takes them across the known universe, having to deal with violent aliens, space pirates, and zombies!
They face multiple threats, as they try and uncover a conspiracy that has been infecting the human governments. Their only guide are a few mysterious hints, but they know that if they stop, they will be killed for what they know.

I very much enjoyed this, and I am looking forward to the rest of the series!
Wow! This book had a bit of everything. It was a superb, fast paced space romp with an intergalactic heist, huge monster and creepy plants thrown in for good measure.

The first thing that drew me to this book was the tag – line ‘They’re not the heroes we deserve. they’re just the ones we could find.’ It grabbed my interest straight away, in the event I think it was a little mis-leading. Yes, squad 312 were certainly a rag-tag bunch with whole load of issues but they were (sort of) chosen. OK, they were the un-chosen dregs and weren’t chosen as such but once formed into a squad the Admiral did appear to pick them for the task they were sent on.

That said I adored squad 312. They were all so unique with their own hang ups and distinct voices. I loved Cat’s cockiness and delight in flying. Tyler’s instincts and desire to do the right thing. Scarlet’s (and Fin’s) sarcasm, Zila’s quiet contemplation, Kal’s internal battles to overcome his instincts and Aurora’s dive into a future she never expected to be in.

I loved the way being a Squad meant there was a good reason to have an expert on everything, flying, tactics, computer skills, fighting etc. It didn’t feel un-reasonable that they could tackle everything that came their way.

The small touches in this book we’re also enjoyable. I adored Megallen the almost-but-not-quite sentient handheld computer who’d pipe up at the most inappropriate of times.

There were certainly heavier bits to this book and some of it was decidedly creepy but it also had great humour and heart. At points I found it reminiscent of The Girl With All the Gifts (not a bad thing) and at others it was a really fun space jaunt. I definitely recommend.

Now I just have to wait for the next one…
Fun, action-packed, and in SPACE! Another hit from Mister J! I am so incredibly happy to have had an early copy of this. Aurora Rising delivers gut-punching moments, but we all know that Mister J. holds no prisoners, he goes in straight for the kill. I love the Squad and I love how they're all misfits.
From GoodReads:
A motley crew of teenage misfits out to save the galaxy!
Races along at a hundred miles an hour from adventure to adventure never stopping to take a breath.
Start of a fantastic new YA series - can't wait for the next one.
I don't care what they are actually called - but there are elves!!!
Ouch! Writing this review kinda hurts my heart!

Nevernight, penned by Jay Kristoff, is one of my favourite books of all time and I also have a deep appreciation, awarding all books in the series a full five stars, for The Illuminae Files, which is penned by both Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman. Given how ardently I adored both authors' previous work I felt sure this was going to receive the same fanfare, but alas...

I truly think this is a case of 'it's not you, it's me' as there is nothing to fault about this novel, per se. Instead the structure of the story was seamless and the plot was twisted and nuanced. The characters felt authentic and the interplanetary exploration was vivid and thrilling. All these aspects combined to make this an action-packed read and yet I found something still missing in it, for me.

I think much of my dissatisfaction stemmed from the snarky personalities of all central characters. I found their sarcasm and sass not unlikable but not how I prefer my protagonists to voice their concerns. With sarcasm being their go-to response in any dire situation, some of the drama of the text was also lost for me. This felt, on times, forcefully upbeat and any gravitas the plot points could conjure was quickly lost. This is, of course, merely a personal preference, hence why this review and star rating feels like an unfair one, but was an element of the text I struggled to overlook, no matter how much brilliance was penned into every other area of it.
Aurora Rising was an *ASTRONOMICAL SUCCESS*
*Received from netgalley in exchange for review- but any into-the-stratosphere gushing and (bad) space puns is all me*
WOW. THIS. BOOK. Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman are back with another space adventure and I am blown away by its sheer awesomeness. I don’t even know where to begin with this review to be honest. I thought I took tons of notes for this, but truth be told I had so much trouble putting the book down that all I really came up with was “oohs” and ahhs” (and the occasional “oh damnnnn”)… so I guess I’ll be doing most of this review on the fly 😉
Starting off with a hold-your-breath situation, this quickly escalates with heart-stopping intensity, until you’re taken through *every emotion under the sun*. See why I couldn’t stop reading? What’s incredible about this book is that it gets better and better, launching into clever storylines and introducing creepilicious villains. There’s edge-of-your-seat peril at all turns; there’s explosive twists and clever revelations.
I had such a blast with this book- not least because the concepts are amazing. At times it feels like sci fi, at times it has a fantasy feel and always it delivered on a sense of foreboding mystery. There’s an ever-present sense that the heroes have dug up a universe worth of problems- and that makes for some serious entertainment. Think how the authors created a sense of stakes and drama in Illuminae… then times it by a billion. I swear, this author duo got the formula exactly right for those books and then, dare I say it, took it lightyears beyond that.
Especially because the world building is so. darn. cool. Set in the future, with more aliens and more tech, you really get a more advanced civilisation feel. Aurora Rising certainly transported me *out of this world*. I also really appreciated how each element- including the dialogue- was designed to give a sense of the universe. The way each of the characters talk gives a sense of different peoples.
This is largely thanks to it being ridiculously well written. I mean, on the one hand it has beauty in the hypnotic stargazing way and then on the other it’s hilariously witty and intelligently plotted. Like the Illuminae Files, this has a lot of inserts and multiple voices- except that in this case it’s a lot less fragmentary and easier to get into. Not only did I like how the tidbits between chapters built on the story and world, I also *loved* how differing writing styles were used to characterise all the povs. From Kal’s more flowery voice to Cat’s sharp humour to Auri’s charm, the entire cast shines and you really get the chance to know everyone. Achieving this shows off both author’s skills and I was rooting for all my heroes by the end!
I could easily wax lyrical about the characters as well. Some were down to earth relatable, while other’s made me starry eyed. I particularly loved Auri- I mean she curses in baked goods- how cute is that?! I also really liked Kal and Magallen- but yeah, Auri is where it was at for me. And if that wasn’t enough, the romance also put me into orbit! Even in space, they can hear me squealing! (yes, I know, I defy the laws of physics!)
Sorry for the gush… except I’m not really sorry at all 😉 It’s pretty much impossible not to be enthusiastic about a book like this. Kristoff and Kaufman took their winning style and stepped up their game. As I suspected before going in, if you already love the way these authors work together, then you’re pretty much guaranteed to have an amazing time with this. And if you haven’t checked them out yet- what are you waiting for?
Rating: 5/5 bananas
So have you read this? Or the author’s previous books? What did you think of them? Let me know in the comments!
Aurora Rising is the next hit YA sci-fi series. If you enjoyed Illuminae, get ready for your next obsession. This could be described as Six of Crows in space or Lord of the Rings in space and it is outstanding! Fast-paced and filled with action, romance, humour, adventure, this is a book that has everything! It is one of those "I seriously can't put down even to go do normal human things like eat and shower" books. The diversity is also worth noting. Highly recommended to readers who are looking for the next big hit series a la Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.
I got an ARC of this from netgalley.com, and have been sniggering about being a professional reader ever since - I buy and sell books, rather than being paid to read them (if only....).

Anyway! I am going to try to be as spoiler free as possible, as the book isn't out until May.

I loved it to pieces. It's sort of if Firefly had a kid with The Breakfast Club, a d sent the kid to space military school then this would be the weird and wonderful result.

A must, I think, for anyone who likes soft sci-fi, found families, female friendships, romance, witty banter, and space Elves. You can't forget the space Elves.

It's loads of fun, made me laugh, get a wee bit misty eyed in places, and I can't wait to read it all over again when I actually buy a copy when it comes out.