The Housemate

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Jul 2019

With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the Arc, which I have enjoyed reading.
The Housemate is a psychological thriller with many twists and turns and concerns three young woman who house share. Megan and Chloe have been friends for 12 years and Sammi is the third person who comes in to house share with the other two girls. By the end of the book only two girls survive.
An intriguing storyline and interesting characters, made this an enjoyable read.
Highly recommended.
My 5* review for The Housemate by C. L. Pattison.

"YOU LET A STRANGER INTO YOUR HOME
Best friends Megan and Chloe have finally found the perfect house.
And when they meet Samantha, she seems like the perfect housemate.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT SHE'S HIDING
But Megan thinks there might be more to Samantha than meets the eye. Why is she so secretive? Where are her friends and family? And why is she desperate to get close to Chloe?

YOU'RE ABOUT TO FIND OUT
When strange things start happening in the house, Megan and Chloe grow more and more alarmed. They soon realise that letting a stranger into their home - and their lives - might be the worst idea they've ever had"

A brilliant psychological thriller that draws you in straight away and makes you keep reading to see what happens next, and try to work out what the heck is going on in this house-share.  The chapters alternate between Megan and Chloe, then occasionally there is a chapter which takes you back in time to a little girl having a traumatic childhood and acting strangely, and you are not sure who she is until nearly the end of the book, but all the way through I swapped between who I thought it was.  The characters and lives of Megan Chloe and Sammi are all explored thoroughly and you are sure you know them, and none of them would be doing such despicable things to the others, surely?!

It certainly made me want to keep reading and gave me goosebumps in places and feel quite uncomfortable about some of the happenings, but nevertheless I could not stop reading and I cannot wait to read more by this Author, well done C.L. Pattison, you have a new fan in me.
What a cracking read. Enjoyable and thrilling. Perfect start to getting my reading mojo back. Thank you for the advanced copy.
Megan and Chloe think that they've found their perfect housemate in Samantha - but have they..? Should they have let a stranger into their home...? Despite some darker and disturbing elements, not to my taste, this is still a well woven, twisty, chiller thriller with credible characterisation and effective mounting tension.
Gripping and enjoyable, this was a quick read for me which I thoroughly enjoyed. . Highly recommended.
A Gripping , addictive page turner . Wow I loved every minute of this book , a fast easy read devoured in 48 hours.
On the lines of single white female this thriller will keep you guessing and if you think you have figured it out , I guarantee you’ll be wrong!
Beautiful written , the story flows with suspense and gives you that just one more chapter ... chapter after chapter.

Chloe and Megan need a housemate and when they meet Samantha they think she’s perfect ,but have they made a mistake ? I am not going to say to much about the plot as I don’t want to spoil it.

YOU LET A STRANGER INTO YOUR HOME...
YOU DON’T KNOW WHATS SHE HIDING....
YOUR ABOUT TO FIND OUT....
YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER LET HER IN ..

4.5/5
Wow Fantastic book, real page turner!

This book had me gripped from the start, I found it very easy to read and hard to put down. It had me guessing throughout and definitely surprised me at the end. I really love the authors style of writing, even though it could jump between characters at each chapter it wasn’t confusing at any point.
I love the way one of the characters in the book had the ability to make me feel sorry for them at times and then hate them at others!
If you love a good suspense type thriller then I highly recommend this book. It proves aswell that you never really, truly know people!!

Thank you Net Galley for the ARC on this one in exchange for an open honest review 😊

YOU LET A STRANGER INTO YOUR HOME
Best friends Megan and Chloe have finally found the perfect house.
And when they meet Samantha, she seems like the perfect housemate.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT SHE'S HIDING

YOU'RE ABOUT TO FIND OUT
When strange things start happening in the house, Megan and Chloe grow more and more alarmed. They soon realise that letting a stranger into their home - and their lives - might be the worst idea they've ever had...
I’m a big fan of house share-from-hell stories so couldn’t wait to get stuck into this one and am so glad I did. It’s a light, quick read that for me got better and better as it went along. I loved the Single White Female vibe and was desperate to see where it would all lead.

It’s a story about friendship, rivalry and mental health and is told in three viewpoints – Megan, Chloe and an anonymous, disturbed and damaged eleven year-old girl. Obviously, this girl is going to grow up to be one of the housemates but which? I had a hunch from the start but had to keep reading to see if I was right and most importantly how this character had been shaped into the person she now is. Watch out for lies, misdirection and unreliable narrators!

I love the small cast which makes for a brilliantly claustrophobic situation and reinforces the tension between the women. I’d hate to be in a house-share with any of these women but they make for a highly readable psychological thriller which I think would appeal to fans of Louise Jensen and Laura Marshall.
"𝙄 𝙠𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙩𝙚𝙖𝙘𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙖 𝙡𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙤𝙣 𝙬𝙖𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙮. 𝘽𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙛 𝙞𝙩 𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙮, 𝙞𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙𝙣'𝙩 𝙗𝙚 𝙨𝙤 𝙢𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙛𝙪𝙣, 𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙞𝙩?"

After reading what this book was about, I thought I had it figured out. I was prepared for a predictable plot with maybe a few twists to try to throw you off. I was completely wrong. It's a book that keeps the reader guessing til the very end.
There are two threads to this book. The current thread follows Megan, Chloe and Sammi as they move into a house together, and leaves you feeling on edge as strange things start to happen.
The second thread is the childhood of one of the three girls. It touches on an abused child becoming psychologically damaged and becoming the abuser. I feel I should post a slight trigger warning here as some of the things that happen are slightly disturbing and could be upsetting for some readers.
Overall, I think this is an excellent book and I look forward to reading more from this author.
Loved this book this is the first time I've read a C L Pattinson book and going in had no idea what her books would be like (or even the gender of the author).  I'm do glad I took a chance on this novel.  The way it's written was amazing all the way through the story I was absolutely convinced as to who the mystery person perspective was and thought although the story would still be reasonably solid it would have been predictable.  I've never been so glad to be wrong the twist is simply mind blowing.  I recommend this book whole heartedly to anyone who likes twisty psychological thrills, do yourself a favor and check this book out. I'm glad I did and I'll be purchasing this one in the near future unless C L fancies hooking me up with a signed copy lol
The Housemate is quite a tricky book to review, as I could easily give the story away, so I am not going to talk about any of it. The blurb more than covers just enough of a tease for the reader.

C.L. does a great job throughout the main story in making the reader feel unsettled. On top of that, an ominous feeling is also created with a subplot that takes you back to the past with a harrowing story that will break your heart. When the two worlds of the past and present come together it makes for such a chilling finale!

The story moves at a great pace and C.L. gives the reader just the right amount of suspense to keep you hanging on without dragging it out and making you lose interest. I lost track of time while reading this book, and one more chapter turned into another, then another till there was no more left!

C.L. has crafted a very believable story with well written and developed characters. Just when you think you know what the outcome is going to be then BOOM! you are completely thrown off course! This is a great read which I highly recommend. It is well deserving of the five stars that I have rated it.

Thank-you to NetGalley, Headline and C.L. Pattison for allowing me to read an advance copy of The Housemate in exchange for an honest review.

All opinions are my on and are not biased in anyway.
A good if predictable premise. No real big thrills for me but that said it was an easy read which I enjoyed in the most part. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it.
!
Menacing!
That’s the word to describe this book
When I read the title and the blurb I kinda imagined I knew all what this book would hold and how it would ‘pan out’, suffice to say I was wrong!
Yes there are elements of ‘Single White Female’ in the book but it is more, so much more than I imagined
Another of those books where I am
wary to say too much in case give anything away but it safe to say this.....Megan, Chloe and Samantha who share a house together will rue the day they decided to...all 3 main players are superbly cast and you will make
assumptions as I did and be led very neatly down the ‘garden path’ but keep your mind open and be aware....things are never as they seem
The story goes back in time for one of the 3 ( again YOU need to find out who ) and they have a shocking childhood and there is violent as well as psychologically disturbing scenes to be aware of ( not too many , the fear of what is going to happen is often left at that ) and also worth mentioning there is a scene with a cat that I avoided once was aware of it,again only a few lines but again worth telling you about, both things I have mentioned are a small ish but pertinent inclusion in the book that makes the bigger picture more understandable
I am not a fan of the word ‘riveted’ but this book had me so and it went from strength to strength and ended up as unexpected as I could have imagined when I started it
Very well told and a book that will leave you with goosebumps when you come to the final sentence......
10/10    5 Stars
While this book was certainly thrilling in moments, the narrative was very much by the numbers and while trying to deal with child abuse issues and how it resonates and stays with any individual for formative and adult years; the twist was somewhat telegraphed. Not to do a disservice to the author, it is good to read a book where women are front and centre, men are pigs and portrayed as secondary to the female protagonists who have jobs of distinction and merit.
The Housemate was astonishingly good!  This was a really great story with superb writing and it had me glued to the pages until I had finished the entire book. The ending was an absolute shocker!  Don't miss this one!
Billed as a gripping, psychological thriller with an ending you’ll never forget. It totally lived up to this.

Best friends Megan and Chloe have found the perfect house. After looking for a third person to help them with the rent, they meet Sammi who seems too good to be true. Megan thinks there’s more to Sammi than meets the eye, she’s secretive and doesn’t talk about family or friends. When things start happening in the house, Megan and Chloe become more alarmed and wonder if they’ve made a mistake letting a stranger into their home.

This book is brilliantly written. It’s a total page turner and one that you simply devour.

I would rate this 4.5 stars. Thank you to NetGalley, Headline and the author for the chance to review.
Best friends Megan and Chloe have finally found the perfect house to share. There's only one problem - they can't afford the rent. So when the landlord suggests advertising for a third housemate, the girls reluctantly agree.

At first, Sammi seems a perfect fit. But as she settles in, Megan and Chloe become more and more uneasy. Why is there new housemate so secretive? Why does she seem to have no friends or family? And why is she so desperate to befriend Chloe? When personal items start to go missing, and Chloe's night terrors start up again, the girls realise that maybe getting a housemate was the biggest mistake they've ever made...

This book was brilliant, and I couldn't put it down! It's the first I've read from this author, and though I loved the premise I did wonder whether it would hold up an entire book. Luckily I was in expert hands, and the author wove a brilliant plot where the tension and threat steadily increased. Chapters narrated by both Megan and Chloe were interspersed with those narrated by an unidentified child from the past in the form of journal entries, a child with a difficult home life who displays increasingly sinister behaviour. I don't want to say too much more so I don't give anything away, but the twist was brilliant. I thought I'd guessed it but I was still wrong, and I'm pretty good at spotting a twist coming! Super impressive, and I can't wait to read more from this author.

A fast paced thriller, kept me on the edge of my seat, even though I guessed I some elements it was a really good and entertaining read.,
This book kept me guessing till the very end. I enjoyed the buildup of tension and the mistrust between the housemates. It was a book I would recommend.
This is a great thriller with lots of twists and turns and an ending I did not expect. Well worth a read