The Housemate

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Jul 2019

Loved this book this is the first time I've read a C L Pattinson book and going in had no idea what her books would be like (or even the gender of the author).  I'm do glad I took a chance on this novel.  The way it's written was amazing all the way through the story I was absolutely convinced as to who the mystery person perspective was and thought although the story would still be reasonably solid it would have been predictable.  I've never been so glad to be wrong the twist is simply mind blowing.  I recommend this book whole heartedly to anyone who likes twisty psychological thrills, do yourself a favor and check this book out. I'm glad I did and I'll be purchasing this one in the near future unless C L fancies hooking me up with a signed copy lol
The Housemate is quite a tricky book to review, as I could easily give the story away, so I am not going to talk about any of it. The blurb more than covers just enough of a tease for the reader.

C.L. does a great job throughout the main story in making the reader feel unsettled. On top of that, an ominous feeling is also created with a subplot that takes you back to the past with a harrowing story that will break your heart. When the two worlds of the past and present come together it makes for such a chilling finale!

The story moves at a great pace and C.L. gives the reader just the right amount of suspense to keep you hanging on without dragging it out and making you lose interest. I lost track of time while reading this book, and one more chapter turned into another, then another till there was no more left!

C.L. has crafted a very believable story with well written and developed characters. Just when you think you know what the outcome is going to be then BOOM! you are completely thrown off course! This is a great read which I highly recommend. It is well deserving of the five stars that I have rated it.

Thank-you to NetGalley, Headline and C.L. Pattison for allowing me to read an advance copy of The Housemate in exchange for an honest review.

All opinions are my on and are not biased in anyway.
A good if predictable premise. No real big thrills for me but that said it was an easy read which I enjoyed in the most part. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it.
!
Menacing!
That’s the word to describe this book
When I read the title and the blurb I kinda imagined I knew all what this book would hold and how it would ‘pan out’, suffice to say I was wrong!
Yes there are elements of ‘Single White Female’ in the book but it is more, so much more than I imagined
Another of those books where I am
wary to say too much in case give anything away but it safe to say this.....Megan, Chloe and Samantha who share a house together will rue the day they decided to...all 3 main players are superbly cast and you will make
assumptions as I did and be led very neatly down the ‘garden path’ but keep your mind open and be aware....things are never as they seem
The story goes back in time for one of the 3 ( again YOU need to find out who ) and they have a shocking childhood and there is violent as well as psychologically disturbing scenes to be aware of ( not too many , the fear of what is going to happen is often left at that ) and also worth mentioning there is a scene with a cat that I avoided once was aware of it,again only a few lines but again worth telling you about, both things I have mentioned are a small ish but pertinent inclusion in the book that makes the bigger picture more understandable
I am not a fan of the word ‘riveted’ but this book had me so and it went from strength to strength and ended up as unexpected as I could have imagined when I started it
Very well told and a book that will leave you with goosebumps when you come to the final sentence......
10/10    5 Stars
While this book was certainly thrilling in moments, the narrative was very much by the numbers and while trying to deal with child abuse issues and how it resonates and stays with any individual for formative and adult years; the twist was somewhat telegraphed. Not to do a disservice to the author, it is good to read a book where women are front and centre, men are pigs and portrayed as secondary to the female protagonists who have jobs of distinction and merit.
The Housemate was astonishingly good!  This was a really great story with superb writing and it had me glued to the pages until I had finished the entire book. The ending was an absolute shocker!  Don't miss this one!
Billed as a gripping, psychological thriller with an ending you’ll never forget. It totally lived up to this.

Best friends Megan and Chloe have found the perfect house. After looking for a third person to help them with the rent, they meet Sammi who seems too good to be true. Megan thinks there’s more to Sammi than meets the eye, she’s secretive and doesn’t talk about family or friends. When things start happening in the house, Megan and Chloe become more alarmed and wonder if they’ve made a mistake letting a stranger into their home.

This book is brilliantly written. It’s a total page turner and one that you simply devour.

I would rate this 4.5 stars. Thank you to NetGalley, Headline and the author for the chance to review.
Best friends Megan and Chloe have finally found the perfect house to share. There's only one problem - they can't afford the rent. So when the landlord suggests advertising for a third housemate, the girls reluctantly agree.

At first, Sammi seems a perfect fit. But as she settles in, Megan and Chloe become more and more uneasy. Why is there new housemate so secretive? Why does she seem to have no friends or family? And why is she so desperate to befriend Chloe? When personal items start to go missing, and Chloe's night terrors start up again, the girls realise that maybe getting a housemate was the biggest mistake they've ever made...

This book was brilliant, and I couldn't put it down! It's the first I've read from this author, and though I loved the premise I did wonder whether it would hold up an entire book. Luckily I was in expert hands, and the author wove a brilliant plot where the tension and threat steadily increased. Chapters narrated by both Megan and Chloe were interspersed with those narrated by an unidentified child from the past in the form of journal entries, a child with a difficult home life who displays increasingly sinister behaviour. I don't want to say too much more so I don't give anything away, but the twist was brilliant. I thought I'd guessed it but I was still wrong, and I'm pretty good at spotting a twist coming! Super impressive, and I can't wait to read more from this author.

A fast paced thriller, kept me on the edge of my seat, even though I guessed I some elements it was a really good and entertaining read.,
This book kept me guessing till the very end. I enjoyed the buildup of tension and the mistrust between the housemates. It was a book I would recommend.
This is a great thriller with lots of twists and turns and an ending I did not expect. Well worth a read
Best friends Chloe and Megan are moving in to an apartment together. They need a third housemate in order to afford the rent so they invite Samantha who seems like the perfect fit. But along the way, strange things start happening and Samantha seems so secretive. Megan and Chloe start to worry that they’ve made a big mistake.
All in all, this was a pretty good read. It was interesting, mysterious, and unnerving. I suspected each character at some point. But there were no real twists, nothing that was “oh my gosh!” In the end it was easy to guess.
However, this was an easy read and it moved along at a good pace. It grabbed me in the beginning and held my interest most of the way through.
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.

I quite enjoyed this, however I felt that I did guess quite a lot of the aspects and there were no mind blowing moments, that I was left waiting for.

A domestic thriller with lots of gripping and disturbing twists.

I suspected every single characters, and was constantly changing my mind during this book.

A quick read that will scare anyone living with housemates.

That being said, there were no *gasp* moments and it was pretty clear from the beginning which direction the book was heading.

I found it easy to get into, easy to read and easy to form a connection with the characters.

3 out of 5 ⭐️
4.5 stars
What a twisted story!!!
This amazing story will keep you glued to your seat from the first chapter to the last page for sure.
When two old friends have found the perfect house to rent for living together and closer to their jobs, they had to look for a roommate to share the house bills.But not everything what you see is what it's real.
Told in Megan’s and Chloe’s point of view, fast paced read and great writing style, the story is talking us back to Megan’s earlier years and we get a lot of inside from her life and her family as well as their current living with all the ups and downs of their age and relationships.
Sammi is the new housemate and she's very enigmatic as , although she works with public figures, she doesn't exist in the social media, no account on any platform. That's when strange things stars to happen around the house and in their life, as well as it's very suspicious her affection towards Chloe.
You know you're reading a great book when the author takes you on a ride in one sitting reading a story that you think you got all covered and you think you know where everything goes and how everything will wrap up but trust me, you don't know anything at all and that's the author gift to us the readers.
I'll recommend this book to all my book friends and not only because it's one of the stories that everyone should know about it.
The Housemate by C.L Pattison
Thanks @netgalley @headlinebooks for my ARC
Publication date 11th July 2019
‘You should never have let her in’.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
What an amazing read. I read this in almost one sitting. The story had such a strong sense of menace and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. A really disturbing and suspenseful read. The story features an unreliable narrator, which I absolutely love in a psychological thriller, but can you guess who it is? Cannot recommend this book enough. Five big stars from me xx
This is the first book I have read by CL Patterson, and it certainly will not be the last.  I really enjoyed this and read it in one sitting.  Highly recommended,
I enjoyed this one, reading it in just over 12 hours. A domestic thriller in which two best friends invite a third person into their lives to share the cost of a rental house. Glamazon Sammi seems the perfect fit for Chloe and Megan but strange things begin to happen almost from the moment she moves into their box room.
The story is told from Megan and Chloe's perspectives in the present, with chapters from a mystery 11-year old girl interspersed throughout, which, as you learn more about Sammi from her housemates, you can safely assume these chapters to be filling in the blanks of the life Sammi refuses to share with her new friends. As the tension in the house share mounts, Chloe's historic night terrors return leading to some grim morning discoveries that leave her shaken and unable to function at work and in her relationship with her boyfriend. Cool, calm and collected Megan tries in vain to help Chloe regain control but they soon realise that it is Sammi's interference that is causing everyone's upset. They formulate a plan, albeit hardly a cunning one, to freeze Sammi out until she decides of her own accord to move out. But it's already too late for things to ever go back to normal and something terrible happens in the middle of the night...
I must admit, I suspected the twist quite early on, I just wasn't sure which of the possibilities was right. That said, it didn't spoil this book for me. I was hooked. An easy read that is successful in creeping you out, this author is skilfull in her misdirection. I'll keep an eye out for more from C. L. Pattison.
This is a fabulous page turner and a great thriller. This is the first book that I’ve read by this author but I’ll definitely be looking out for more books in future.
The ending is great and one that I didn’t see coming.
I’d recommend this book to anyone who likes this genre.
The Housemate is an easy and thrilling read.  The format is familiar, a little Single White Female-esque, The flatmate gone wrong.  Two best friends need to rent out part of their flat to make it financially viable, and in doing so let in an outsider who threatens to ruin their friendship. .

Written both in present day, and in flashback chapters of a disturbed child from a family with secrets, The Housemate is intriguing. I thought I had worked out the ending, but I was wrong. Once revealed, I did feel a little cheated, as the character in the final chapter is completely different to the rest of the book. However, I can understand it if she is a little bit schizophrenic, it could explain things.  Overall however an easy addictive read.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
It’s always good to come across an author that excites you.   The housemate was brilliant from start to finish.  Megan and Chloe have been friends from uni and move in together but need a housemate Sammi to share the cost.  The saying three is  a crowd comes to mind and it not harmonious. Friendships are tested.   I was totally sucked in to the story and thought I had an idea of the end.   How wrong could I have been.