Cover Image: The Housemate

The Housemate

C.L Pattison has been put on the level with some very accomplished authors, but The Housemate has proven she is in a league of her own.

This gripping and disturbing read is brilliantly written.

Not every author can write a novel so adept at deception. It puts the reader in a position where they think one thing but something else entirely is going on

Chloe and Megan rent a gorgeous house, the owner has just passed away and they instantly fall in love with it. In order to pay the high rental they meet Sammi, and she soon rents the spare room.

This book is written in two timelines. The present, where we get to know the three women, the strange happenings and Chloe's demons with night terrors, and the past, where the abuse of a small little girl at the hands of her mother and her beautiful and needful friendship with Anouk.

The psychological thread in this book is hard to read at times, and for some, including me who had a hard time growing up, it can be quite triggering. But this is a fabulous tale and I loved that each with turn of the page it brought with it a fascinating look into human survival, jealously and hate.

The Housemate was a one sit read for me and I absolutely loved it. It has all the feelings of dread, the twists and the shocks that you would expect from such a read. It is dark and disturbing and comes with a sadness for the most unlikeliest of characters
I've never had a housemate and now I don't think I ever do want one!!  A taught and twisty read that had me gripped and on the edge of my seat.  Well written without cliche, I thouroughly enjoyed it!
Thank you for allowing me to review this book.
I have read others by this author, so was excited to get started on this one and it did not disappoint.

Two friends, Megan and Chloe have been friends for years and decide to rent a property in London together, they find the dream property but realising they cannot afford the rent they take on another housemate and rent out the third spare room to the very secretive and simple living Sammi.

Throughout the story friendships are tested and we get a glimpse of a (unknown) characters childhood throughout the story, which really makes this book work. You are constantly on edge trying to figure out who this person could be. The story does have lots of twists and turns, which makes it hard to put this book down. Its definitely worth a read, with such a great ending that you don't really see coming.

This really is a well written page turner!
A good read with a well developed story and interesting characters, not quite an edge of seat thriller in my opinion but a thoroughly good read.

Thank you to Netgalley and Headline for giving me the opportunity to read this book.
I really enjoyed this book - it has a great plot, excellent main characters and is a real page turner.  I would highly recommend this book.
Compulsively readable - with a genuinely unexpected twist! The ending seemed to happen fairly swiftly, with little build-up to certain reveals; but overall a great thriller and an easy read.
Good story quiet hard to get into, but boy the ending blew me away!! When you realise who the other person in the story actually is I was shocked!!
Two best friends decide to move into a rental together, but can't quite afford the rent.  What's the solution?  They must find another housemate.  And this is where the story really gets tricky.  After the new housemate moves in, things start to go awry.  Will they all come out of this unharmed?  Loved the twists in this book!
What a thriller! I was on the edge of my seat never knowing what was going to happen next in the fast paced and very enjoyable read. You never know who to trust between the three housemates due to the constant changing dynamic. What an unexpected and suspenseful ending as well!! Overall, a great pick for those who love this genre.
Really blew me away!  Really really great story, excellent writing, and had me glued to the chair, literally, until I finished the entire book.  And the ending was shocking!  Don't miss this one!
The housemate, what a plot twist!
I have read The Book Of You by this author which I enjoyed so was so eager to read the housemate.
The books about two best friends (Chloe & Megan) who find the perfect home although rent is high so they decide to have a housemate. The housemate they choose is Samantha but they know nothing about her life, family & not a lot of info on social media but after quizzing her they think she’s going to be the perfect housemate. Things keep happening in the house, items going missing and Chloe and Megan begin getting alarmed.
I love how this book skips back to the past but you’re left guessing who’s past it could be. It’s quite fast passed and so hard to put down. Really good page turner and a huge twist.
Thanks for #netgalley & the author for letting me read this book in return of an honest review of the book.
#thehousemate
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher Headline for  an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

When two best friends, Chloe and Megan find the perfect house to rent, but can't afford the high rental they agree to take on a 3rd housemate, Sammi.
Sammi has a great job, she's smart and sophisticated, and loves cooking! Chloe and Megan hastily decide she's the one. Things get off to a great start, but Sammi isn't forthcoming with information about her past, she doesn't have many friends, and doesn't socialise that much outside of work. And, when weird things start to happen to Chloe and Megan, and personal items disappear they soon become suspicious....who is Sammi?
The story is told by Chloe and Megan in chapters, which gives the story great pace. The suspense is also carried along with interspersed chapters told by an 11 year old girl who is neglected and abused both mentally and physically by her Mother....who is she?
This story is full of suspense and has an unexpected ending. For those who love this genre, and a quick easy read, don't miss this one!
This is a real page turner! The author created  main characters with unlikeable traits who were vulnerable and interesting enough for me to care about what happened to them. Puzzling over which housemate was the disturbed little girl kept me reading . I liked the twists and the ending.
In the early chapters I found the writing a little clunky in parts, and wasn't entirely convinced by the way the characters spoke to each other. However, I was still gripped with intrigue and the book gets better and better as it goes on. Very dark in places and very suspenseful. You don't know who to trust out of Chloe, Megan or Sammi and the ending had a neat, dark twist. I finished this book within two days.
This book kept me guessing till the very end. I enjoyed the buildup of tension and the mistrust between the housemates. It was a book I would recommend.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.  I really liked this book which is about 2 friends who find the perfect place to live.  I would recommend this book to other readers.
Flew through this book - the story of two friends, Chloe and Megan who find the perfect house to rent, but can't quite afford the rent, so take on a third house mate, Sammi. All is perfect to beginning with but Sammi's behaviour quickly becoming questionable and with Chloe's night tremors which she suffered from as a child returning, it's far from a happy home.

Running along side the main narrative is the story of a young girl at school, lonely, without any friends, coming from an unstable home life, she manipulates situations to her benefit., this character isn't spoken about by name, so it's up to the reader to work out who she grew up to be (until it's revealed at the end.)

I'd worked out who this character was quite early on, but it didn't stop my enjoyment of the story, I just sat back and watch it all unfold.

Really enjoyed this read and would recommend. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book - this is my honest opinion.
Good plot, great book overall. I would read other books by this author now. The characters were interesting.
Excellent.  I really enjoyed this book and it has a very good ending which I think is so important.  Definitely worth reading.
I so enjoyed this book quite sad 1 girl will do anything to have a best friend but witch one. one had a horrible childhood but witch one I figured it out half way I can so recommend this book very gripping must read