The Body in the Mist

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 May 2019

DI Craig Gillard has two old aunts in Devon who call him to visit and see his uncle who is ill with alzheimer's in an old people's' home.  The local police find a mutilated body with al  ID absent on a quiet country road - accident or murder?  There are murky family secrets that Craig doesn't want to talk about with his wife, and the Beast of Exmoor visits his Aunt's farm at full moon and savages her sheep.  Shades of Cold Comfort Farm and no mistake. The full force of forensic science is brought to bear on the unknown corpse.  As a side dish the uncle may have committed  a murder in the distant past.  Lots to look into!  Very readable and fun
I found the story interesting enough, but the story-telling was stilted and a all over the place. I had never read anything from this author before and I was very surprised to see that he has published several books, this felt like a first effort to me. I am sorry to say that I did not enjoy the writing at all, the characters felt fake and not well rounded and the story was a little crazy, with a lot happening and not much making sense.
Not a book I would recommend.
Nick Louth is at his best with this delicious crime thriller I was gripped from the start.
DCI Craig Gillard and his wife Sam are on route to Cornwall after a call for help from one of Gillard two aging aunts.
An horrific hit and run left an unidentifiable man in the morgue but who was the driver  ?
As the story unfolds long buried family secrets unfold raising more questions than answers and finally the man is identified and the case goes to court.
Absolutely recommend to all thriller readers
Welcome to the third instalment of the DCI Gillard series by Nick Louth, and what an instalment it is! Gillard is now happily married to Sam, still puzzling over why such a beautiful woman would want a grizzly workaholic like him, when everything is threatened by one phone call. A deadly hit and run has taken place in Devon, the victim is unidentifiable but the car belongs to one of Gillard's aunts and he is summoned to Devon to sort out the whole sorry mess.

The story is told from two different sides, from Gillard's point of view as the one who's family is being investigated, and from DI Jan Talantire's as the official investigating officer determined to get to the bottom of the mystery. It's clear from the start that Gillard is highly uncomfortable being back in his aunts company, and the two women couldn't be more different. Trish is a former teacher, living in the house she shared with her ex-husband, Howie, who ran away to Thailand and Barbara, large in both stature and personality, running the family farm and struggling to make ends meet. Thrown in to complicate the situation further is Podge, or Uncle Phillip, a former reverend well known for his social injustice campaigning and now living in a nursing home, suffering from Alzheimer's and unable to walk.

It soon becomes clear that there is far more going on than what has already happened, and Gillard is dragged back into the nightmares of his childhood. Trying to deal with his abusive and abused aunts is more than he can bear but trying to distance himself is impossible and he's drawn back in almost against his will, bombarded with constant phone calls, having to drive back and forth to Devon, and discovering long buried family secrets, some of which are shocking even to Gillard as a serving police officer.

The Body In The Mist manages to be a well-written police procedural with multi-strand storylines converging together to make one of my favorite crime novels in a long time. Far from feeling spread out the various elements all weave together, forming a tight-knit tale which is impossible to put down, and impossible to predict who did it. Murders both old and new, a court case, and a sheep-killing beast are the main focus point of the book but it's the characters who balance out the story perfectly. Every single character, whether they're mentioned on every page or only appear once, is larger than life and not forgotten once you turn the last page.

I'm exceedingly pleased that this is not my family but the person you have to feel sorry for throughout the entire novel is Sam, Gillard's wife. Deeply unsettled by his entire family, and especially the lecherous Podge, she starts to wonder just how well she knows her husband but stands by him and supports him through the whole case. I'm just not sure how supportive she'll continue to be given the twist in the tale, on the very last page, which will make you rethink and/or doubt everything you've just read. Brilliant! This series gets better with every book but you could also read this one without having read the first two as each is a separate story. I guarantee though, that you will want to go back to the beginning and read The Body In The Marsh anyway! Now starts the wait for book four...
A mystery with a difference. Expect the unexpected from the accused and the accusers and you won’t be disappointed. Would you do the same if you were faced with the same dilemma, I am not so sure? A tease and a must read.
Another really good read that's good from start to finish!
You really get into the story!  Fast paced, not boring, captivating from page 1.
Well developed story, good plot and twists...  attention to details, police procedure...  Keeps you interested until the end!

Thank you to NetGalley and Canelo for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Great read ! Fast paced and holds your interest with the twists and turns .  Strange mad cap family all turn up and Poor Craig has to deal with it

I didn’t guess the ending! Recommended
I have read all of Nick's books as I find them very well written and a bit different. They always keep you guessing about who did it and even some red herrings sometimes. The cheaters are superb and just right for these stories. How long until the next one?
I enjoyed reading this book.  The plot was enjoyable and the characters good.
Overall I would reccomend this book for others.
I will look out for other books by Nick having read this one.
Enjoyable detective story with a twist of human interest.  What families will and won't do to save each other.  who or what is morally sound.
Another great book in this series. DCI Craig Gillard is dragged into a problem within his strange, argumentative and sometimes violent family. This is so well drawn and the threads linked together in such a way you can't help trying to work it out before you get to the end. I found myself getting very angry on Craig and Sam's behalf because his family are selfish and expect him to pick up the pieces even though he isn't close to them. When Sam questions Craig about his diffidence is telling her about his past, he finally allows Sam into his very upsetting secret. I really enjoyed this and look forward to reading more.. My thanks to Nick Louth, Canelo and Net Galley for my ARC.
This book is a fascinating story and will keep you reading right up to the final word. I enjoyed the twists and turns and did not anticipate the outcome until close to the finale. Definitely recommended.
Absolutely fabulous read, another triumph for Nick Louth. For anyone who loves police procedural/crime novels it’s definitely a must read. Highly recommended.
This was the first Nick Louth book I had read and I enjoyed it. Good plot, good characters, all in all a good read. I would recommend it!

Thanks to NetGalley for my free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Devon police investigate when a hit and run victim is found on a quiet country lane. The body has no identification and the labels in his clothes have been removed. Unfortunately for DCI Craig Gillard, the car involved belongs to one of his aunts and he and wife Sam travel down to Devon to help sort out the problem.  As he delves deeper, he discovers family secrets from the past which were better left unknown and gets drawn into the mysteries uncovered.

This was my first Nick Louth novel, however the story works perfectly well as a stand alone tale. The characters are well created and I found myself drawn into their lives and keen to learn the truth. In some ways the title body got pushed aside for the more historic crimes revealed, but the story flowed well and all was revealed at the end. I particularly enjoyed the final few pages of the story.

Definitely not the last Craig Gillard adventure I want to read!
This is the third in the DCI Craig Gillard series and the first one I have read.  I loved it.  The plot is clever, tense and at times wickedly funny.  Craig Gillard and his wife Sam visit Craig's family in Devon for a weekend only to be sucked into a crime that could well implicate his Aunts and Uncle seem wonderfully dysfunctional.

The storyline is well presented and the characters are all engaging and well developed.  The court scene towards the end of the book is edge of the seat stuff and the denouement is just brilliant.  I hope to get hold of the other two books now in this great series.

Highly recommended
My first Nick Louth book, but definitely not my last.  I'm always looking for a new DCI series to read, but somehow missed DCI Craig Gillard.

This was a fun read!

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this title.

#TheBodyInTheMist #NetGalley
"...very few people are all good or all bad. That combination is what makes us human."

DCI Craig Gillard is about to find out just how messed up his family really is when he and his wife, Sam, visit his two aunts and uncle in Devon. The body of an unidentifiable male is discovered on a road south of Exmoor National Park. He appears to have been the victim of a hit and run -- and the suspect vehicle belongs to Gillard's Aunt Barbara. Gillard's aunts deny driving the vehicle that day as they claim to have been playing Monopoly with his Uncle Philip who lives in a care home and seems to have his own secrets. It's a complicated case outside of Gillard's remit, but he offers to help DI Jan Talantire of the Barnstaple police with the investigation since he wants to help his relatives. There's a lot going on in this police procedural and murder mystery -- NO SPOILERS.

This is the third book in the series and I didn't like it quite as much as the first two. It seemed to take me a huge effort to really get into the story and to keep all the different threads straight. I do like the main characters of Craig and Sam and will be interested in reading the next book which I hope is set back in their home turf, Surrey. DCI Gillard definitely has a dysfunctional family and Sam is about to find out more about her husband.

Thank you to NetGalley and Canelo Digital Publishing for the e-book ARC to read and review.
Great book - great story - great characters.  What more can a reader ask for?  Obviously I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would love to read more by Nick Louth.
A hit and run, in Devon sets the tone for this.  DI Jan Talantine is on the case and a very complex one it is.  The body has been severely injured and his face is no longer there.  With no ID or labels in the clothing it is next to impossible to find out who this is.

DCI Craig Gillard and wife Sam, head off to Devon to see his aunts and an uncle he has not seen for years.  Little did they know that his estranged family were somehow caught up in this drama.

His aunts Barbara and Trish live near each other in the Barnstaple area.  Barbara runs the family farm, Trish is still grieving her husband who left her a few years ago, and uncle Philip is in a residential home.

The investigation begins, and Crag's two aunts are eventually under the spotlight.  They have many secrets between the three of them but Craig is the one who decides he needs to keep digging until he finds out the truth.  Devon is not in his constabulary's jurisdiction, so he has to liaise with DI Talentine with his enquiries and findings.  This is a complex case, but so well thought out.

It is another of this author's brilliant works and the reader is drawn in until the conclusion.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased.  My thanks to NetGalley for this opportunity.