A Fatal Game

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Jul 2019

When a terrorist bomb goes off in a busy station and innocent civilians are killed tough questions are asked.  For Jake Winter this is too close to home as the bomber was one of his agents.  Juggling appearing at the enquiry with handling his latest recruit, Rashid, Jake is close to the edge.  As Rashid lets Jake know that another attack is due Jake feels his life unravelling.
There are some really good ideas in this book but sometimes they get lost in the welter of well-meaning.  Ideas about modern politics are pushed through less likely characters and it all becomes very confused towards the end with the plot turning in on itself.  Searle can plot a decent story and has really modern ideas about the nature of spying but tighter editing would make his books sing more.
Thrilling and clearly well researched. Very interesting facts thrown in too. The detailing is what makes this book what it is. Definitely helped to make me feel more in tune with the book. A little difficult at some points in the book but otherwise a fab read.
I am a big fan of Nicholas Searle's writing (very much enjoyed The Good Liar) but was less than totally absorbed by this latest one. He's excellent at switching genres and moving between very different types of book and writing and this latest is in the spy / thriller mold, but I felt the ending really let the book down. Sort of ended not so much with a bang as a whimper.
This is a perfectly fine thriller spy novel which earns its place alongside other releases this year.  The plot line is bang up to date and the author has humanised (if it's possible) the terrorist's dilemma. I enjoyed it. The characters were well thought through and while I didn't take to Jake, the lead protagonist, it didn't  detract from the plot.
A Fatal Game is another fantastic, thrilling book from this talented author!

Firstly the author has clearly done a lot of research into terrorism as there is a lot of details included into the story which I found very interesting to read about. I didn’t know how all the different services in the UK, like the police are counter terrorism units, worked together so I thought it was fascinating to discover more about this. These little details also helped make the story seem more real so I felt more invested in what would happen.

The characters are all very well drawn and believable and I enjoyed getting to know them better over the course of the book. The author slowly reveals to the reader more about their background and why they are in the situation they are in which made me feel more sympathetic to them as I understood the reasons behind their actions.

I thought this was a very absorbing, enjoyable read which I found easy to get into. The pace is quite steady and there is always something to keep the reader’s attention. The ending was a bit surprising as I didn’t see it ending the way it did for some of the characters.

Huge thanks to Ellie Hudson from Viking for inviting me onto the blog tour and for my copy of this book.
Well written novel on terrorism in the UK.
I found this book totally absorbing and immersed myself in the lives of the main protagonists.
Well researched on the subject - knowledgable about the terrorists and the English counterterrorism forces/police - makes this book an enjoyable, thought provoking read.
Characters are believable and the reader gets to understand how the different characters got to the places they are currently in.
Surprising endings for some of the main characters.
I would highly recommend this book.
A Fatal Game is the first book by Nicholas Searle that I have read and it is an enjoyable contemporary modern thriller set against a terrorist alert which is unfortunately let down by a weak ending.

The main part of the book is very good and enjoyable but the story lines just seem to fade away and the ending definitely detracts from the book
I don't repeat the blurb - you can read that. Quite enjoyed this very contemporary tale, although the ending was a bit of a let down,an anti-climax, if you will.  Definitely worth a read for insight into the work of agencies tasked with our safety.
Couldn't really get to grips with this one. Gave up around 65% as it hadn't caught my attention. I found it a bit heavy going and confusing at times.
That's my opinion.
I like it when an author does not get typecast and every book Nicholas Searle has written is totally different - but of equally high calibre.

I really enjoyed "A Fatal Game", a tense thriller dealing with the terrorist threat that faces us all today when nobody is quite sure who he or she seems to be.

Is the mole within the terrorist cell playing the intelligence services or is he really trying to help them?

The secret is not revealed until late on in what is a captivating and well plotted book that never fails to thrill.

Highly recommended.
Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this book.  I didn't like how the author told the story.  I couldn't finish this book.