Daughter of Neptune

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Apr 2019

Daughter of Neptune is a stunning memoir that explores the lengths that we go to to feel closer to others.

Theresa spends her youth at sea in order to feel closer to her father and connect through shared experiences. Throughout her journeys at sea she learns alot about herself and how to face the brutal waves as well as the inner emotional turmoils of adulthood.

This is such a touching book. Theresa is a courageous, strong and resilient woman who is an affable writer and story teller.
3/5 stars
Content includes depictions of alcoholism and parental death

I said it before and I will say it again: A cover that stands out on a website like NetGalley is essential! If it weren't for this gorgeous cover (Honestly, I would frame this and hang it on my wall!) , I probably would have scrolled past "Daughter of Neptune" which would have been a shame, because it gave me a very interesting and unique glimpse into a world I never really thought about: Life at sea - in particular from the perspective of a woman in her twenties.

The demanding day-to-day work, days and weeks of sea- and homesickness, her duties and mostly not so friendly male colleagues on various fishing vessels and the beauty, but also the harshness of the open sea are described at length, but those passages are just the obvious surface of Theresa Wisner's life-at-sea story.
Beneath it she opens up about her experience with alcoholism and the ongoing process that is called recovery, but to me the golden thread throughout is the relationship to her father, which unexpectedly made me so emotional in the last couple chapters, I had to put the book down for a moment. Although the relationship I have with my father is very different from what she describes, I could still relate to the underlying emotions of competing with my sisters for his undivided attention, constantly striving towards these special moments of togetherness and recognition.

The criticisms I have are in regard to repetitiveness when it comes to the descriptions of life aboard different fishing vessels and for my own mental timeline, dates along with each chapter would have been helpful. Nonetheless, I think "Daughter of Neptune" is a worthwhile read and I respect Theresa Wisner for her raw honesty and admirable perseverance.
Theresa Wisner embarks on a powerful journey to seek empowerment and belong aboard fishing vessels. Daughter of Neptune is full of determination and eloquence as she attempts to find a space for women, for herself, in a male-dominated field. Wisner packs her memoir with images of the sea as the young narrator struggles to overcome loneliness. Her story on the ship is made more trying by her ongoing struggles with alcohol and her troubled relationship with her ailing father.

Wisner’s story is a classic coming of age among the awesome backdrop of the sea. Anxiety about womanhood permeates this memoir as Wisner fights to be recognized as “beyond that thing called girl.” As Wisner takes on dangerous jobs as deckhand and cook, the reader is offered a glimpse into the cycle of her life as she tries, again and again, to earn her father’s approval by proving her toughness. For Wisner though, the sea is more than an obstacle to overcome. The sea is still beautiful, and her language reflects that in rare moments of calm: “The sea becomes a place of possibility, of magic. It holds the chance for change, for a new and different life.” Daughter of Neptune is a triumphant work of art, balancing the harsh realities of life at sea with the beauty to be found in these vast open spaces.
A wonderful memoir Theresa Wisner shares with us her attempts to be close to her father her life at sea struggles with alcoholism a really involving eye opening book.#netgalley #samscreekpress

Theresa spends her youth at sea in order to feel closer to her father and connect through shared experiences.  Throughout her journeys at sea she learns alot about herself and how to face the brutal waves of the sea as well as the inner emotional turmoils of adulthood.

This was an amazing memoir.  I love how the author perfectly captures what life at sea is like, along with the struggles of alcoholism.  The writing was very raw and that kept me engaged.
Thank you to Sams Creek Press and NetGalley for a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Daughter of Neptune is a memoir of a woman struggling to find her path in life, in young adulthood. A big part of her struggle are her efforts to win her father's approval, in a family where boys seem to count more than girls. Shaped by her father's love of the sea and fishing, she goes to sea, working in a man's world - and hoping to earn praise from her father because of it. At the same time, she shares her battle with alcohol, which is always lurking and threatens to pull her down into the depths of addiction.

The writing is raw, honest and atmospheric - deep-sea fishing is a world unknown for me, but after reading this book, I get the attraction of the sea. At the same time, the unvarnished truth of the boring, hard and sometimes disgusting aspects of fishing for a living are not swept under the carpet. Although this book has some of the weaknesses of a first book, the ending made me want to hear more from this author.