They Call Me the Cat Lady

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Apr 2019

I didn't know what to expect from this book and I was pleasantly surprised to discover this charming and heartwarming book. It was a delight to read from start to finish. I look forward to reading more from the author in the future.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this ARC
I assumed that this book by Amy Miller would be nothing more than good comedy or, at best, a Rom-Com. I couldn’t have been more wrong. They Call Me The Crazy Lady snuck up on me and grabbed me and did not let me go. It is an emotional, uplifting, hopeful book about letting go of the past, making changes and moving forward. I laughed, I cried and I was angry at times but in the end I was incredibly happy with the way everything worked out for everyone. The story is beautifully written, the characters charmingly created, and the cats wonderfully portrayed. I loved every single line of this tale. The book is gender neutral even though the word “lady” is in the title, it’s a delight for both sexes and all ages. I also found it to be a bit genre defying and would simply say that it’s well-done fiction. I highly recommend it.
Leading lady Nancy is a fairly charming character, your typical example of how people judge others and never actually get to find out the actual person
With a variety of topics, this book tells us of an incident in her past that leads Nancy into living a reclusive life. She keeps herself to herself, loves her cats – which is good because she cannot help but take in any waifs and strays.  I particularly enjoyed the relationship between Alfie and Nancy, it was really sweet.

Overall, a heartwarming read that feline fanciers will truly enjoy.
My thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
To be quite honest, as I'm reading and nearly done with Ruth Hogan's The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes, my opinion on this novel has changed a bit. Not for the better to be quite honest. I just feel that I am certainly not the intended audience for this having never lost anyone that close to me. This book will definitely pull on your heartstrings if you've experienced grief and therefore you should not take my review into consideration when thinking whether you should read it. It's beautifully written and has the loveliest characters which you'll grow to love, but just the story itself wasn't for me.
This book screamed at me to read, just from the title! I am a cat lady! So is Nancy, who the book is centered around. I found this to be a fun book to read. It is the love of cats that is the center of the story really, that, and Nancy's past. She has to deal with both in her life and be able to move on in her life. I found the writing to be really good, which really helps to make the storyline even better. I do recommend this book.  It is great to read for a rainy weekend with some tea or coffee. Enjoy!
I have enjoyed Amy Miller's 'Wartime Bakery' series & being fond of cats this seemed like a book for me.

I'm not quite sure why I didn't really fall in love with this one. The main character is well portrayed but somehow I never really gelled with this one. It was quite an enjoyable read. Thanks to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read & review this book.
This was not my type of book and I was very disappointed in it.
I had such high hopes for this book
Enjoyed the characters and the subject of cats. The unveiling of her personality was lovely.
No one knows what goes on in other people's lives do we
When I first saw the title of this book, I knew it was one I just HAD to read, and I am glad that I did :)

Nancy leads a quiet existence with her 5 cats, and her part-time job at her local school. She keeps her cards close to her chest and the locals don't actually know that much about her. Her run-down house is her happy place and she doesn't need anything or anyone, other than her kitties. Then, one day, she sees a photograph which pushes buttons she has tried so hard to ignore. This leads to a whole series of events which turn her life upside down.

This book was clearly written by someone who really GETS cats! I have 4 of my own and a similar kind of relationship to them that Nancy had to hers, and so I found myself really getting emotionally caught up in her story. I loved that Nancy was there to help out Alfie (and then later his dad as well) and was a soft place for him to land. All Alfies should have someone like Nancy in their lives. I felt for her as she re-visited the painful parts of her past but cheered her on, all the way.

A gorgeous book.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture.

4.5 stars from me.
This was an inspiring story which I really enjoyed.  There were many lessons to be learned from it - namely don't judge people as appearances can be deceptive.

The central character is Nancy who lives alone in a dilapidated house with her cats.  She works as a school secretary and keeps to herself as she is wary of becoming involved with people.  Her cats are her family and provide all the company she needs.  As the story progresses we learn about Nancy's background and that she has had tragedy in her past, which now affects how she lives her life.  Through her other job as a 'cat sitter', she comes into contact with someone from her past who helps Nancy to revisit her past and begin a journey of healing.

Ultimately this is an uplifting and touching read with very believable characters who are easy to engage with.  I will definitely look out for more books by this author.  Thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to read it in return for an honest review.
Everyone in town knows Nancy Jones, she's the cat lady, but do they really know her? Whilst she enjoys her job at the local school, Nancy pretty much keeps herself to herself. Other people may wonder about her but they don't know her secrets. They don't know the dark secrets, or why she's given her cats the names she has. They don't really know Nancy at all. A new cat sitting job brings a chance encounter that opens the door on a very painful past for Nancy. Will, she let people in and share her secrets? This is a lovely book, that will tug at your heartstrings. This is the first book I have read from Amy Miller, I would read more of her work.
Being owned by three cats I just had to read this book!!  I loved it. They Call Me the Cat Lady was a fab book that I could not put down. A great read.
This is a beautiful book about a woman and her cats, but it is more than that. It is about a woman carrying a secret grief that no one else knows about. It is a story of loss, but it is also one of hope. I enjoyed this book.

I would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
Nancy is such an uplifting yet sensitive character – I really love novels that are character-centric. Her relationship with her cats was so cute, the way she spoke to them was so genuine and their personalities seemed to really shine through. The moments with Nancy and her cats were some of my favourite scenes in the whole novel, as she was at her most comfortable and relaxed, and the reader got to see another side to her than during her interactions with other people.

Nancy’s story was honestly so heart-breaking. Her cautiousness and safety-conscious attitude were an intrinsic part of her, and it was devastating that the one time she relaxed a bit something tragic happened. I won’t give too much away, but seeing her genuine pain and guilt affect her present-day relationships and decisions was very emotional. Her relationship with her ex-husband was clearly problematic in various ways, with overwhelming feelings of guilt and blame hanging over both of them. Their reunion towards the end was super sweet, and it was satisfying for the reader to see some of their issues being resolved.

I felt like Nancy’s journey throughout the novel was so beautiful, and it was explored in a really in-depth way. She started as a really lonely and fragile woman who slowly became more confident and happy throughout. Her friendships and relationships improved dramatically as the story went on, and I loved how the improvement of her house mirrored this. Her house started as a ruined and dusty dumping ground, with an overrun garden and unused rooms. By the end it was transformed, reflecting Nancy’s personal growth and increased happiness, and I loved how this connection between the two worked.

I would definitely recommend this, it was different to a lot of my recent reads, but it was fun, inspiring and a very sweet story.
The title and cover pulled me in. This was a case where I picked the book before reading the synopsis. What a great surprise!
This is a story of love, loss, friendship and the ups and downs of life. Thank you NetGalley!
Surrounded by her cats, named after those that she loved best, Nancy’s story is painstakingly revealed and with each devastation, her life comes into sharper focus for the reader.

Being the sort of person that she is, Nancy has always put people and animals before herself.  It’s not that she collects the broken, but more along the lines that she wants to be the person that helps other to put their lives back together in a way that she has not been able to do for herself.  After the end of her marriage and the death of her daughter, she was broken.  She did not have a path or a vision for the future so she shut down her life in a ramshackle home with her cats and a part-time position at the local school.

Not needing anyone to know her business, she kept to herself but when she takes a young boy who is the subject of a bully under her wing and starts a cat-sitting business, which brings her face to face with her daughter’s best friend, Nancy’s life begins to open in an unimaginable way.

As I said, this is a sad book, but hopeful in that you can see the characters growing, accepting, and optimistic for a future that was not obvious from the start.  You can feel Nancy’s pain and trepidation as each new situation arises, but at the same time, you can feel her burden lighten and with her, you have hope for her future.
This is such a beautiful book, that is well written and completely absorbing.

Everyone thinks they know Nancy, the odd lady that lives with cats.  No-one cares to look a bit deeper, but aren’t we all guilty of that?  Nancy’s character slowly unfolds as the story develops.  The people she works with every day are unaware of the depth of her history, how life has left her avoiding people preferring her cats for company.

I love how the author shows that people can be completely different to how you imagine.  We call carry around our stories, some people’s masks are better than others.

A great read, that will definitely stay with you.
They Call Me The Cat Lady is a different kind of read for me but one that I enjoyed, it had an easily read writing style that enabled me to read it in a day.
Nancy Jones is the cat woman she lives alone with various cats, she avoids getting involved with people and you get the sense that if she didn’t have to go to work she wouldn’t go out at all. The reasons why Nancy is like this is revealed in stages throughout the book. I’m not going to spoil it but it does deal with some sensitive issues but done well with thought.
I enjoyed this book, the main characters were likeable and felt invested in their lives, I did particularly love George though.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
As per my “norm” this review will be spoiler free!

This author is new to me as many lately have been but what grabbed my attention was the title, because I am not definitely a cat lady, for all intents and purposes. This book has many quotes and a much needed insight for today's social norms and some we may not even think about often enough. Nancy's characterization is bright and lighthearted with a touch of loneliness. Something I can totally relate to. Nancy's journey was engaging and thoughtful and witty. She's not exactly what society deems “normal”, but normal is all relative. Isn't it?

You can NOT read this synopsis and wonder what will happen to her character.

The book is well-written and enlightening on so many things. Things we NEED to be talking and thinking and doing. Like family, family is very important, not just now but at any time. It keeps you enthralled and curious about where the story-line is leading you to. It is not just Nancy along for the ride but the reader as well!

I do highly recommend this tangible read.

They Call Me the Cat Lady is beyond what I expected and more than I could hope for in a read.

Thank you to Netgalley and Amy Miller for the chance to read in exchange for a honest review.

#TheyCallMeTheCatLady #NetGalley
I'm quite an emotional person at the best of time, and this novel really touched me. I've shed both sad and happy years whilst reading this book, a true testimony to the author at how emotive the book is. It's so wonderfully written and tells such a heartfelt story that I will highly recommend to many others.

Nancy's journey has really helped me to see that you will always find people who will be there for you; and they too are going through their own things that they may need support with. I genuinely felt grateful to be able to be a part of Nancy's journey because not only do we get to see where she is in the present, we get to see what has happened throughout her past, that has shaped her in to the person she is today.

I especially loved Nancy's devotion to her cats and the stories/reasons behind each of their names. It was lovely to see each individual cats personalities too and how in sync they were with their owners feelings, always knowing how best to react and interact with her.