The First Mistake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 27 Jun 2019

Thank you to Netgalley and Pan Macmillian for this advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review and feedback. This was a really good fast paced domestic thriller which I could not put down. One or two well played out twists kept me guessing right until the last page. Another great page turner by Sandie Jones
Tom was the love of Alice’s life and the Father of her first child. Following Tom’s death, Alice meets Nathan and within their first year they are married, with a baby on the way.
Alice has everything, her own successful business, a great marriage, two children, a beautiful house and her best friend, Beth.
Cracks begin to show in various aspects of Alice’s life and she soon suspects her Husband of having an affair, but is she being paranoid? She turns to Beth, who is keeping secrets of her own and Alice soon learns who she can trust.
This is a very cleverly entwined psychological thriller, but it could be argued that it is a little overcomplicated. I guessed early on how the main plot was going to pan out, but it didn’t spoil my reading experience as there were still lots of unforeseen twists to come.
I absolutely loved this authors first book so was very excited to read this one.  It was full of twists and turns which kept me hooked the whole way through.  I read it in two sittings and would highly recommend it.
Oh my goodness, this book is amazing! I loved every page and I’m gutted that I’ve finished it. The book is fast paced and the ending great. It’s one of the best that I’ve read this year and worthy of 5 stars.
The Other Woman was one of my favourite books of last year and one that I recommended to many especially as a holiday read as, once started, it was impossible to put down. So Her First Mistake was a must read for me!! Did it live up to my super high expectations?! Absolutely!!! It’s another twisty relationship thriller which will keep you guessing until the very last page.

I love it when a book takes me in a totally different direction to the one I was expecting and here, Sandie Jones made me do a complete 180 degree turnaround in my expectations with a twist part way through Her First Mistake that I hadn’t seen coming! With my jaw firmly planted on the floor, I had to then reassess my opinions of characters I thought had been thrown in to support our protagonist but who had been quietly waiting to surprise us.

Sandie Jones writes involving and gripping moral dilemmas with characters that you can empathise with even if you don’t find them particularly likeable! Expect your emotions to be played with throughout with some shocking twists and behaviours but, OH MY GOODNESS, what a thrilling denouement!

This is a brilliant second novel from Sandie Jones and I loved every page!
Another cracking read from this author.  It was hard to put down and I didn't guess the end but I like that.
love this author and this book did not disappoint! and this was another hit for me!! enjoyed every page! i cannot wait for more!
Brilliant read that has you guessing in all directions. Not often I lose sleep staying up to finish a book but I did for this one. Lots of originality. and very contemporary. An author I will look out for as she has a great future
Thanks to NetGalley and Pan Macmillan for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is another good, fast paced, quick read from Jones. I really enjoyed this book but I just don't think it had as much of a shocking twist as her previous book. And the ending was quite abrupt. I'd still recommend it to people who enjoy a thriller and who like guessing what the twists are before they come.
Wow! I was captivated from page 1...........A thriller with so many twists and turns that I hadn't a clue as to what was going on and that's just the way I like my thrillers. I read this book in 2 sittings and I'm thinking of re-reading it - and that's something I NEVER do with a book. The last few chapters left me breathless wondering what the outcome was going to be. I won't say any more as to do so would be to spoil the enjoyment for other readers.
This is an entertaining read focussing on two women and the men in their lives. Alice, whose first husband Tom dies, but now has a wonderful husband Nathan and a business that is going from strength to strength. She still suffers anxiety over what happened to her first husband and so it is unclear if her fears about Nathan being faithful are justified or paranoia. Beth is her new friend. she is a single Mum and midway through the book, her back story is filled in. Their lives are more closely intertwined than Alice realises, and there is a big twist at the end that brings everything together.
However, (probably because I read a lot of thrillers) I did guess the twist early on. The plot was somewhat disjointed and not as strong as it could have been. Essentially everything happens because the women are so gullible / too trusting. I would perhaps have felt more invested if it was a little clearer how close Beth and Alice were supposed to be.  There was also a strange focus on Thomas's tattooed arm which kept making me laugh every time it was mentioned.

My thanks go to the publishers and Net Galley for the advanced copy in return for an honest review.
This is a really good read with an ending that was a total surprise to me. I had not guessed the ending at all. There is a lot of suspense throughout and it builds slowly as the book continues. I would definitely recommend this book.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
I enjoyed reading this book, it had me gripped and there were parts  where I couldn’t put it down I had to keep on reading.
I did kind of work out what was going but it didn’t spoil the story for me. I was still immersed in it and I wanted to read on.
The only downside for me was the switch to third person in the end, it threw me off my stride a bit.

I was going through a bit of a reading slump at the time and this book was a good easy read to pull me out of it.

I would recommend this book if you enjoy a suspense thriller.
thank you for allowing me to read this book. it was very easy to read. i enjoyed the story line and the characters. look forward to reading more from this author.
After reading and loving ‘The Other Woman’ by Sandie Jones I was really excited to see what this second book would be like.  I have to say was not disappointed this is another brilliant book.

Alice has it all, a loving husband, two beautiful children, a successful business and a beautiful home but Alice is haunted by the sudden death of her first husband, Tom.  Despite her never getting over the loss of Tom, Alice has worked hard to build up their business and build a loving home for her family.

But then her world is turned upside down when she suspects that her husband, Nathan, is having an affair.  Could this really be happening to her ? Alice turns to her best friend, Beth, for advice but is Beth really a great friend or is there more to their relationship than Alice knows ?

This is a fantastic psychological thriller that will keep you hooked to the final page.  If you lived Sandie’s first book you will definitely love this one too.  If you haven’t then you really should read them both !!

Thank you to Pan Macmillan and NetGalley for a digital copy of this book.
What a fantastic read, I was second guessing through the whole book with what I thought was going to happen and who was who, but couldn’t have guessed by the twist ending! Really well written, and definitely worth a read. Took longer then I wanted to read, due to other commitments, but hadn’t been able to stop thinking about this one. I wonder if there could be another book after this one?! Brilliant!!
I suspect I may be in the minority here, as I didn't love The First Mistake.

Of course, there were things to like about it. Alice and Beth are both well drawn characters. And it's an easy, quick read.

My main issue with the book was that I found the unfolding plot so obvious. I predicted all the twists from miles away. There are so few key characters that it's not hard to figure out who's responsible for what. Even the final 'twist' was telegraphed with all the subtlety of a fire engine.

At the same time, not a great deal really happens. There's a lot of Alice angsting about her two relationships and whether one or both men betrayed her. If you've already worked out where the plot is going, this stuff is just frustrating.

Finally, I felt that the last third of the book was rushed and underwritten compared to the first two thirds. And I wasn't sure why it had switched to third person; it had a distancing effect and neutralised one of the key strengths of the book, the strong characterisation of the female leads. The ambiguous ending, too, was a let-down. I think I know what happened, but why not come out and say so?

Overall, it was ok but I don't think it will stick with me.
To say I absolutely loved this book is an understatement, if your a fan
of psychological and domestic suspense thrillers Sandie’s Jones second novel will not disappoint. I was totally gripped from first to last page .
From page one I was transported effortlessly into her characters lives and I liked them all especially Alice.
The authors uncomplicated writing style and the way she makes you doubt what you thought you knew makes this book stand out from others.
Unexpected Twists and turns kept me turning those pages as fast as my eyes ( and children ) would let me .

After the death of her first husband Alice has remarried has two children and a beautiful house, life has never been better.
When Alice begins to suspect her husband Nathan is having an affair, she turns to Beth to help her find the truth. A friend without judgement, she is the most trustworthy and loyal person Alice knows .
I don’t want to give to much away about the plot ,I don’t want to spoil it for you but when there’s a  husband , a wife and a best friend  in the mix , you just know your in for a treat but this book is so much more!

If you liked the mother in law , Our House or Sandie Jones debut The other woman then you need this book in your life , I cannot recommend enough.
Another winner from Sandie Jones,!, I loved The Other Wonan and The first. Mistake did not disappoint with Sandie’s unique storytelling  skills,  keeping me hooked from beginning to end.

Alice is enjoying her life again after tragically losing her first husband leaving her with a small daughter. She has now found happiness with Nathan her second husband ands EE seems to have it all with  a beautiful home ; 2 beautiful children and a successful business..

Nathan is Alices Knight in shining armour. He has brought back happiness to her life.

Beth is Alices best friend and a constant in her life. They are there for each other through good and bad times.

When Alice’s world is rocked by her suspicions of Nathan’s infidelity,  who would she turn to but Beth, As secrets begin to be uncovered Alice begins to question her trust in both her husband and her friend Who should she trust.? Who is telling her the truth.? .

The journey Sandie took me on was one which had me questioning each character and thinking I had the plot figured out only to find out I was completely off the mark. The twists and turns just kept coming and the ending was definitely the icing on the cake,,,

This book is guaranteed to have you addicted to the story, page turning at every opportunity,, definitely one to add to your TBR list . Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley for my chance to read this fast paced page turner .
I absolutely loved this book.  Fabulous writing style, amazing twists & very fast paced.  I’d recommend this to anyone.