The First Mistake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 27 Jun 2019

Even though I ended up buying a physical copy of this book, I would still like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a copy of this read in exchange for an honest review.

Another 5 star read from this author! I was completely hooked from start to finish! Such a page-turner!
This is a read that I honestly thought I had figured out straight away, but with twist after twist, it turned out to be far more exciting and heart-stopping then I thought! Excellent!
Can't wait for her next!
Thank you to NetGalley and Pan Macmillan for the ARC.

I read Sandie's first novel, The Other Woman and was blown away by it so I had high expectations for The First Mistake. I was not disappointed!!

Sandie Jones is certainly one to watch. I'm astounded this is only her second novel her writing is absolutely fantastic. I'm looking forward to reading more from her.
I really enjoyed this book, I thought it was an excellent read..  I was hooked from the start, a real page turner with lots of twists and turns throughout. A great story with interesting characters. I would recommend this book for people that enjoy reading this genre,  I will be looking out for more books by this author in the future.
Thank you netgalley for the opportunity to read this
This book drew me in from the very first page.

It was a well plotted, well written and on the edge of your seat book.

I raced through this book.

It was full of twists and turns and I did not see half of the twists.
A brilliant domestic suspense novel about a wife, her husband and the woman who is supposed to be her best friend.

Alice is married to Nathan and they seem to have it all, a beautiful house, a growing business and 2 children, but then something explodes, lies and secrets come to light and Alice has to work out a way to get out the mess she doesn’t understand how she’s in.

There are so many twists and turns in this book and each one leaves you reeling, it’s a fast paces, engrossing, quick read full of secrets and lies.

A twisted and entertaining plot perfect for psychological thriller fans, with a cliff hanger-esque ending.

Thank you to NetGalley for a advanced copy of this in exchange for a honest review.
Alice appears to have it all but she loses her first husband in mysterious circumstances and then her second one starts to act strangely.  The first part was a bit dull and I wondered if it was going to be a DNF but it certainly sprang to life when Beth (Alice’s best friend) tells her story and from then on I was hooked and had to keep reading with mouth agape at all the antics on the pages!  Well worth the time invested in it and thoroughly enjoyable.
I enjoyed the other woman. This book not so much. It felt like there was too much filler and some of the plot was predictable.
Predictable, far fetched, silly, all words that describe this book but all the reasons that make it enjoyable to read too!  Dramatic and full of suspense! An easy read
Fantastic novel. Really enjoyed the suspense throughout building to the finale. A number of twists including one that I wasn’t expecting
The First Mistake is a book I wasn’t sure if I was going to like after reading a few reviews but I really enjoyed this psychological thriller.
Alice has what appears to be a great life, two lovely children a 2 million pond house a thriving business and a doting husband, life hasn’t been easy after her first husband and love of her life tragically dies, Alice finds it hard to not fear the worst in situations.
I’m not going to go into the storyline as I feel your best coming in blind as the twist at the end is very cleverly thought out. The plot moves along at a steady pace, picking up speed about a third in when you don’t really have a clue what is starting to happen as your led up the garden gate.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
"The First Mistake" was a fabulous read that had me totally gripped from the start. With a fantastic plotline and brilliant characters, this was a superb thriller that kept me guessing throughout. This amazing second novel by Sandie Jones should certainly not be missed. A magnificent read and well worth five stars!

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Pan Macmillan via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I really didn't think it was possible for The First Mistake to blow me away as much as Ms Jones's debut, The Other Woman, but —mission successful! It is undoubtedly one of the most compelling and gasp-worthy works of domestic noir mixed with psychological thriller I've read this year so far.

It centres around two women, Alice and Beth, and the men who are their significant others. Alice has everything she could ever want: a new husband, two great kids and a thriving design business, but she can't escape her belief that hubby Nathan is being unfaithful. Whether her cheating anxiety is justified or merely paranoia will form part of the reveal. Beth, a single mother, is Alice's friend and confidante and they have both been there for each other through thick and thin. However, soon Alice is not only questioning the trust she had in Nathan but that which she had in Beth too.

What follows is a drama-filled, slow-burn thriller with a sizzling intensity and dark secrets lurking just below the surface. It's taut, twisty and so beautifully written you cannot fail to be captivated from the opening chapter. You truly feel for Alice and her situation as she is surrounded by some sneaky, underhand people who have only their own interests in mind. It's a gritty and gripping read in which no one can be trusted and nothing is ever what it first appears. I don't want to give away the ending suffice to say that it will divide readers. Some will love it, others will not. Recommended. Many thanks to Pan for an ARC.
I received an e-ARC copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The premise of this book sounded really interesting and like a real psychological thriller, but the actual book really disappointed. I had to rush through this book towards the end because I was really not enjoying it. I honestly don't think I enjoyed any part of this book and just became really annoyed with it.

My main gripes with the book were;
The book is not paced well at all so there are moments in the middle that just drag on and it seems like we're constantly reading the same pages over and over, and then suddenly the ending feels really rushed and the book is just over.

There were some quite confusing narrative perspective changes and it just confused me a bit. We spend most of the book in first person so moving to third person at the end was just a little bit odd.

The actual plot itself was just... too much. It felt like the author had so many ideas to try and squish in and it just didn't work out well. The plot twists were so obvious; we have Beth who is meant to be Alice's best friend and at every opportunity she avoids Alice's husband Nathan. AND ALICE NEVER NOTICED THIS OR PICKED UP ON IT. It was clear this was deliberate and it was clear that the plot twist was going to be about Nathan and not about her deceased husband.

The characters; if I don't connect with a character I really struggle to connect with and enjoy the book, and this was my main issue with this book that the characters were just quite unlikable.

This book just felt like an obvious tick-the-box thriller story. I don't think i'd be looking at reading any other books by this author at this time.
I was given an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest and independent review.
This was one of those books where you think you know what’s going on and then something happens and you realise you were wrong.
It was fairly exciting, with a good pace and interesting characters. I enjoyed it but was a bit let down by the final reveals and felt it was a little bit unrealistic. Such a shame as I loved her first book and was so looking forward to reading this one.
3.5 stars
One of my favourite books of the year! I couldn't put this down, so many twists and turns and I loved the ending - can't wait for more from this author!
Great mystery and a really good read. Couldn't put it down. Will look out for more from the author. Thanks for the opportunity to read
I read The Other Women by Sandie Jones earlier this year and I loved it. Full of crazy twists and turns and a brilliant ending I didn’t see coming!

As her second book, this was also full of exciting plot twists and interesting characters. I loved how the narrative switched between Alice Present Day and Beth 9 Years Ago then finally to Alice and Beth Present Day.

I liked the characters and I felt like the book was very well thought out and interesting. It seemed well researched and I enjoyed seeing the main women in a domestic thriller have a well paid and successful business. Makes a bit of a change! But the epilogue threw me a little. I didn’t know what to make of it - perhaps that was the intention!

Overall this was a great book. I preferred The Other Woman but this was still well worth the read!

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
# The First Mistake # Netgalley
I was absolutely besotted with this book. Beth’s story and Alices. I was so so really hooked by it. However right at the very end  I have to say I was so frustrated and disappointed. I knew exactly what was going to happen based on where Alice Beth and Nathan where. It became so obvious. Regarding epilogue there wasn’t really I need for it to be honest. Up until that point I was in awe of the book, well and truly just such a shame it ended as I thought it would.it genuinely was such a bad finish unfortunately.
This book is the first I've read by Sandie Jones, it's full of twists and turns. I thought I'd sussed it all out but oh boy was I wrong. This was told in three alternative narratives. Alice in present, Beth nine years previously and then Alice and Beth in present day. I think it would of been interesting to have have another narrative to see it through other people's eyes. I really enjoyed this and look forward to reading more from Sandie.

Thanks goes to net galley and  the publishers for providing me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley and Pan Macmillian for this advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review and feedback. This was a really good fast paced domestic thriller which I could not put down. One or two well played out twists kept me guessing right until the last page. Another great page turner by Sandie Jones