Rosco the Rascal and the Holiday Lights

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Jun 2019

Such a cute and fun Christmas story, I loved it (even as an adult!) can be read standalone even though it's part of a series.
I received an electronic version from BooksGoSocial through NetGalley.
Rosco's fifth adventure takes place during the Christmas season. Their neighborhood has taken first place in the annual holiday lights contest. Adventures and misadventures take place along the way.
Younger readers will enjoy the humor as dogs wreak havoc with the decor on opening night. They'll also relate to the emotions and relationships at the elementary school level.
The story moves slowly but meshes the plotlines together.
James and his younger sister Mandy are typical elementary school children. They get excited about the holidays and want to participate in all the fun activities. They have friends in the neighborhood and others at school. They are concerned about belonging and fitting in and worried about looking silly.
James has a friend, Mason, who lives at the other end of the block. They are in the same grade and ride the bus to school together. Rosco is James and Mandy's dog.
When James and Mandy's father arranges for all the neighbors to decorate for a holiday lights contest, it is exciting to learn they have been chosen for Best Block, or best neighborhood. It is also a huge responsibility. How does one explain to a dog what this means?
This is a fun story about learning to be responsible and learning to share the spotlight and attention. It addresses issues that come up and need to be worked out between friends. It also teaches about allowing kids to take on more responsibility. There is excitement involving some puppies and dogs who forget how to behave. Is Rosco to blame or will he save the night?
At the end of the book there is a vocabulary list, as well as spelling competition words used in the story.
Fun to read and exciting. I asked for this book via Netgalley. This review is my own opinion.
Rosco the Rascal and the Holiday Lights by Shana Gorian is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. Rosco is a German shepherd dog that has a special talent for getting in trouble. He also just runs loose in the neighborhood. This is a middle grade reader book about Rosco, his kids, and a block decoration contest. Cute story.
This is a cute story with cute characters that kids would love. This is the first one I have read and I think it is adorable.
“Roscoe the Rascal and the Holiday Lights” was a totally delightful reading experience. The characters were realistic, and represented contemporary kids and families accurately. This book reminded me of family saga books that I read as a kid, such as those written by Beverly Cleary and Carolyn Haywood.

This story had lots of “kid appeal,” with its holiday setting, kid experiences, humor, and of course dogs! The children in the book had genuine fears and concerns about friendships and school, which should resonate with upper elementary to middle school kids. I also appreciated the positive values demonstrated in the book.
The book included underlined vocabulary words, a glossary, and spelling list at the end, just as a bonus, making it useful for the classroom as well as for personal reading.

As a retired middle school teacher, I can attest that this book would appeal to students, especially boys or reluctant readers. I found this book to be laugh-out-loud funny! I liked it so much that I ordered e-book copies of the other Roscoe books in this series.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
What a great cozy mystery! Let me cozy up by the fire with some coffee and this great book! I felt so happy reading this story and the characters plot. It was great!
The author does a great job creating typical problems a middle schooler would face. The challenges that Mandy and James struggle with were well thought out. Reading this book reminded me of my middle school years. Plus, sweet Rosco adds his own interpretation of the holiday excitement and is a dog every child needs growing up.
I loved this book: is a sweet and lovely story.
It's well written and with an interesting plot and some lessons to be learned.
I think it can be appreciated by children and adult.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
I read this with my nine-year old and we both enjoyed it! Rosco the Rascal and the Holiday Lights is a fun and well-written book for elementary-aged children. It’s a heart-warming tale about Christmas time and working together with a little bit of mischief and suspense thrown in. Boys and girls alike will enjoy it. The glossary at the end was a nice touch.
A wonderful children’s book for any age! As I was reading my 10 year old decided to read along with me and throughly enjoyed It! A great way to teach children about how good competitiveness can bring people together and become friends. We fell in love with Roscoe!
A community project like no other that brings the neighborhood together, had with a little petty competitiveness with the patrol watch between the boys that is a recipe for disaster. In this lovable tale,  James had to learn to work with Mason, and little Mandy was so positively sure she didn’t need her mama’s help, seems to have landed herself into a prickly mess, losing some of her confidence along the way. Roscoe did not understand what was going on, but all was not lost for Christmas is a miracle-working time, a time for giving, sharing, and loving and having a merry time.
This is such a sweet book. You can't help but fall in love with Rosco. This is a Christmas story for all ages to enjoy. Thank you BooksGoSocial via NetGalley for the copy of this book. This is my honest opinion.
I read this book to my Grandson, he loves anything Christmas and dogs. He liked the book and understood the little lessons to be learned. The characters were fun and likable. We both enjoyed the book very much.
Ok what can I say? This book was so cute and funny and beautiful and even when it’s about Christmas, it’s a children book and I read it almost close to spring I loved it, it has all the Christmas spirit that I love, I wish I could give it to my nephews so they can enjoy and love it as me but unfortunately they don’t speak English for now, anyway I can promise you would love and enjoy soo much and you would want more of the stories and adventures of Rosco.
This was a very well written children's book. Even though this book is part of a series you don't need to read the others in order to enjoy this book. Would be interested in reading more from this author.