Cover Image: The Mother's Mistake

The Mother's Mistake

I just loved this book and the way this author writes.  It held my interest throughout and all the characters were interesting and I felt as though I knew them all personally.  An addictive psychological thriller, full of twists and turns which  kept me on the edge of my seat throughout with a satisfactory, exciting ending.
I hope to read more from this author in the future, well done Ruth.
*Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.* Claire and Matt move to the countryside with their baby girl, Olivia. The return to the village in which Matt grew up is meant to help them save to buy a home of their own, whilst Matt establishes his veterinary practice. However, the downside is that they will be living right next door to Matt's controlling mother.  With the MIL from hell right nearby, a husband working long hours and a baby that won't settle, Claire finds herself spiralling into depression and starts to doubt her own sanity. Who is watching her? Who is entering the house when she isn't there? Who can Claire trust? This book is a thriller, complete with many twists and turns. I am loathe to give away any more of the plot, for fear of spoiling the suspense. An enjoyable and intriguing read.
A psychological thriller was a very surprising end!
"The Mother's Mistake" will be revealed at the end of the book, but the mother wonders who she should and can trust (including her loving husband) and who is lying and deceiving her.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC for my Kindle.
Okay, I read this on my Kindle so it took me a while because I read a chapter before bed. I found the story to be okay, overall.  I felt that the plot was slower than it should have been,  things seemed to be happening slowly and it did make the story drag. I felt sorry for Claire because he mother-in-law was quite an unpleasant woman. I can't imagine having to deal with someone like her, and she was my least favourite person in the book. That's including the 'baddie' in this story.

I can appreciate the author's intension in making the events that happened to Claire a slow build up to making her feel 'crazy' but they felt a little too slow for me.  Although, it was well written, I just found that I couldn't really sympathise with Claire, because at times I found her to be aggravating and a touch annoying.
It is a new beginning for Claire, Matt & baby Olivia. They are moving from London to the country for Matt to set up his new vet practice & to live in his Grandmother's old house so that they can save up for a place of their own.

The dream doesn't last long. Matt works all hours & makes no effort to help with the baby. Claire is battling to bond with her daughter, she wants to love & protect her, to give her the best life but can't seem to care. The house is exactly as Matt's grandmother left it when she died. Matt's mother Ruth, says her grief is too raw to clear it-I'm not sure how long Grandma has been gone but it seems like quite a while. Ruth really is a nightmare!

Claire makes friends with a local girl, Emma, who also has a young baby. When she gets a note that stirs up all she has been trying to forget & Matt seems to spend more tie with his receptionist (who is alo an old flame), life becomes ever more difficult.

I found this book a bit slow going at first & I wanted to give Matt a good shaking & force him to deal with his mother! I wanted to know what happened but for me it was just an OK read. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
Read this book in two sittings on the beach. It’s very readable and I liked the characters. A good beach read.
This is a gripping story with well described characters. The reader is drawn in from the start with lots of twists building up to a scary climax. Highly recommended
An easy five stars. This is a psychological thriller that lives up to its name. I loved the setup and enjoyed watching it all unfold as Ruth becomes increasingly isolated and unsure of her own sanity. Trust, deceit and betrayal are at the heart of the story. The identity of the person in the italics sections kept me guessing. Brilliant characters and lots of twists. I think it will appeal to readers who enjoyed The Little House by Philippa Gregory or stories by Barbara Vine.
Claire and Matt and their baby daughter, Olivia, have moved to Matt’s home village to start his new vet’s Practice but the house is creeping Claire out. Claire is suffering from post natal depression and soon finds everything too much. Someone is out to hurt her and who is it?

Wow I could not put this down! So intense and gripping. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Wow what a suspenseful page-turner . Each chapter was short and kind of slow paced. Had a couple sleepless nights while enjoying the ride this story took me on. The  way the characters come to life in each chapter kept me engrossed and waiting for the next plot twists,
There was alot of plot twists that left you saying omg i didn't see that coming.I was hooked on the story from the beginning and it kept my attention until the very last page. I found the characters to be interesting and well drawn.Suspense was built up nicely and the end was a surprise.  I had to go back and read the last couple of chapters a second time just to wrap my head around what I had just read lol .I Really enjoyed this book . This was my first read by this author, but will not be the last. You can also read this review and all my other reviews   on my fb page at Joyce Stewart Book Reviews , my fb Group Stewart Book Reviews Book Club , Good Reads at Joyce Stewart Reviews and instagram at Stewarts_bookreviews.
The Mother's Mistake by Ruth Heald........What a brilliant book. I was hooked from the first few pages and I just wanted to read to the end to find out what happens next. I was not disappointed! I loved it!

At the beginning you meet Claire, who is married to Matt, they have a young baby called Olivia. They are all relocating from London to Matt's home village located in the peaceful country side and very close to Matts parents. Claire and Matt are going to move in Matt's grandma's house who sadly passed away. They are all going to live there rent free until they save up to purchase a house of their own. Matt is very busy opening his new Vet Practise. Claire is going to be a stay at home mum to Olivia.
They are excited about the future together. However, Claire has a secret from her past but it comes back to haunt her. She's also finding it hard to bond with Olivia plus Matt's mother who seems to be a perfect role model for the community and mother in law, keeps interfering in their lives.

WoW...................This is a book once you start to read it, it's very hard to put down.

Highly Recommend The Mothers Mistake. If I could give this book 10 Stars I would.

Big Thank you to Netgalley and to Bookouture for my copy of this book in exchange for a review.
Why do people feel the need to be perfect especially if you are a mother?  Mistakes happen in life we are human but others that know about the mistakes we make tend to exploit them for their own benefit.  There is no such thing as perfect lives as this story shows us even if it looks like it from the outside.  Well written characters along with the many twists and turns this story take had me on the edge of my seat as I read.
# A Mother’s Mistake # Netgalley
A awesome book, it’s fast paced with a actually brilliant storyline, emotional in parts, well a emotional book full stop, very cleverly written with lots of twists and turns, I devoured this book. It’s ond you feel you are a bit player in and your desperate to change circumstances, that you are on the edge of your seat, it’s definitely a jaw dropping storyline. Highly recommended
The Mother’s Mistake by Ruth Heald is a really good read!

Claire's life seems perfect, too perfect... but it's not... and someone knows it...  She wanted a fresh start but the truth, the secrets, might just come out...

Interesting storyline with twists and turns.  Not the type you can guess what's happening next or how it's going to end.

The descriptions and details are there.  Even though I didn't know much about postnatal depression I could feel the emotions.

Well written and captivating from the start.  Good pace.  You get into the story right away and don't want it to end.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
The Mother's Mistake by Ruth Heald was published by Bookouture on 06/11/19.  I was lucky enough to obtain a copy from NetGalley in exchange for my review.

Claire has a loving husband, newborn daughter, and a home in the country...sounds like the dream life, right?  That couldn't be farther from the truth for Claire.  Her life is actually falling apart.  When a note turns up in her mailbox declaring that she doesn't deserve her daughter, Claire might just have this "perfect life" destroyed right in front of her very eyes.

I read this book so fast.  The pace of the book demanded it.  It was so suspenseful.  It made me think of Sleeping with the Enemy.  When Julia Roberts' character runs away and starts her new life, she's always looking directly behind her for her past.  Claire is doing the same thing.

I had a bookstagram friend who read the book shortly before I did keep telling me to hurry up and finish because the book would blow my mind.  She was 100% right.  OMG.  THE ENDING TO THIS BOOK.  I never saw it coming, and I read a lot of thrillers.  I sent what I thought were 2 or 3 really good guesses to her mid book, and I wasn't even close.  I have no idea how Ruth Heald came up with this plot line, but I'm so glad she did.  I can't wait to read her next book.

This book is the 3rd in a string of 5 star reads for me.  I don't know how I got so lucky, but hopefully this trend keeps going!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟/5 Stars
Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy...

Oh my! I absolutely loved that book so much! I had to read book on Kobo cause last night, the book has been terminated from the other app that I had to read and was only 256 pages so I’m lucky to have a Kobe gift card whew! I had to finish it right away today...

Looking forward to read more book from this author soon...
Claire is suffering from post natal depression and struggling to cope with baby Olivia.  She has moved from London with Olivia and her husband Matt to start a new business and life in the village where Matt grew up.  She ends up living  in his deceased grandmother’s cottage next door to her in-laws and Ruth is the mother-in-law from hell making Claire’s life a misery.  We learn from the prologue that Claire has a hidden past and when she starts receiving anonymous notes she realises that someone else is aware of it.  Claire makes a new friend in Emma but then items go missing and she begins to  hear noises.  Her marriage is in trouble, is she suffering from a total breakdown?  This is an absorbing psychological  thriller, full of suspense and lies and builds to a frightening climax.  A highly recommended read and a it is a book that you will to be able to put down.
Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
I really liked The Mother’s Mistake.  It was one of those books where you have an idea of where certain things are headed due to the hints of the past, but you have to keep reading because it’s so well told and there appear to be so many secrets to keep you turning pages.  Very enjoyable.
A true psychological thriller.  All the elements here.  Starting with the perfect new start Matt and Claire move out of London with new baby Olivia to an idyllic country village.  Then its start to get more chilling as Claire spends more time on her own and her mental health is questioned.  An array of characters, a husband who may not be what he seems, a truly dislikable mother in law and a new best friend.  A big back secret which is stunning when it is revealed.  A gripping read.
4-5 stars!  A book that gets your attention in the prologue in a way that makes you yearn to learn more!  Well written, with characters developed in a manner that makes sure you can feel the suspense, thrills, chills they are feeling.  Some shocks are found as well!  Recommend to my fellow thriller lovers!
Will recommend to the members of Chapter Chatter Pub!