Chasing Vengeance

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Apr 2019

I received a complimentary ARC of this book via Netgalley but all opinions provided are my own.

I’ve been excitedly following Katie Reus’s Redemption Harbor series for the last few months, reallyyyyy enjoying seeing each agent pair off while they also do whatever it takes to protect the innocent. It’s been dramatic, action-packed, and sexy, and Chasing Vengeance—the last in the RH series—is no exception.

We met Layla in Hunting Danger, my favorite of Reus’s books, when the heroine of that book and her best friend, Nova, rescues her. In Chasing Vengeance, Layla’s close friends with the mysterious Xavier, even though she wants much, much more from him. She’s also being physically threatened by someone, and it’s up to the Redemption Harbor team, plus Xavier, to remove the threat before she’s hurt—or worse.

Luckily for Layla, Xavier’s not into finance as he claims. His skills are a bit more hands-on. Will Xavier and the Redemption Harbor team figure out who is targeting Layla? And will Xavier give into his feelings for her, even though he thinks he doesn’t deserve her?

Like in her other books, Reus creates thrilling chemistry between her main characters. She portrays the evolution of their relationship convincingly, showing how Xavier’s hang-ups in particular affect how he stumbles with Layla. The moments when they surrender to temptation—when he gives in—are filled with heat.

Less convincing for me is Layla’s reaction to Xavier’s secret, given her own history. I don’t want to reveal spoilers so I’m keeping it brief, but it just didn’t ring entirely true to me. There was also Xavier’s overall dilemma when it comes to starting a relationship, which felt similar to that of other books in the series, and not super original.

This wasn’t my favorite book in the series, but it’s a sweet, sensual conclusion to the Redemption Harbor storyline. I loved how Reus included previous characters in the series throughout Chasing Vengeance and appreciated one last time to see this kickass gang all together again.
This the seventh and sadly the last book in the 'Redemption Harbor' series.  I felt this was a great ending to the series.  I've enjoyed reading all the characters in this series and I am happy the author finished with Layla and Xavier's story.  I'm always amazed when an author can make you fall in love with a questionable character.  But who doesn't love a bad boy?  I loved that Layla excepted Xavier despite his job, saw the man for who he is on the inside.
I found this series to be fast past, suspenseful, with deep friendship old and new, and with sizzling romance.  This book had more of a body count then the other's books, which did not bother me.  I was happy to have my favorite reoccurring character in this story, Sky is a great character that makes me laugh and yell “you go girl!”.  Would I recommend this book to my friends and family?  Most defiantly!  And to everyone else who is looking for entertaining romantic suspense.

***I voluntarily reviewed this ARC for an honest review via NetGalley, this is my honest opinion and has not been influenced by the author, Publishers or NetGalley in anyway.*** Thank you!
Thank you to the publisher via Netgalley for the opportunity to read this title.

Chasing Vengeance is a great ending to the Redemption Harbor series. We first met Layla in her best friend Nova's book after she escaped from her ex-fiancee who killed a man. Xavier is a hired killer and after getting together with Layla, his past comes back to haunt him and hurt Layla.

It's great to see the Redemption Security team come together in this book, they are family and rally around when one of them needs help.

This book was action-packed, full of mystery, romance and adventure; Katie Reus writes great characters and engaging story-lines.

I am saddened that this series has come to an end and I look forward to reading more books by her.
I love Katie Reus' Redemption Harbor series, and I didn't want it to end. I told myself I'm going to ration Chasing Vengeance, so I can savored it. Well, savored it by devouring it in a single sitting, that's how good it was!

But like any indulgence, it was totally worth it. One of my favorite things about this series is the cast of characters. I love that Reus includes couples from every single one of the books going forward. Skye has to be one of my favorite characters EVER! And to see her grow throughout the series is a real treat.

Layla does have horrible taste in men, and many would argue that going from a drug dealer to a hitman isn't exactly trading up. But Xavier isn't your typical killer for hire. Watching Layla and Xavier dance around each other, all the while dodging bullets, cars and hidden threats, makes for one darn fine story.

While I'm sad the Redemption Harbor series is coming to an end, Reus did the series justice in the final installment. I can't wait to read the next world she creates!
Katie Reus gives a fitting finale to her Redemption Harbor series, with “Chasing Vengeance”. It only makes sense to give Layla her own happily ever after, after her torturous past with her murderous ex-fiance and being saved by her best friend and her team of specialists.

Starting over in Redemption Harbor among her new friends, also brings Layal to Xavier. Ace hitman and with an enemy wanting revenge for his past actions, bedding with Xavier only brings Layla into the crosshairs of danger. But then love doesn’t lister to the mind, and fate has it’s own agenda and with the entire team at their back, it is only a matter of time to eliminate the danger to their future. Xavier and Layla make an excellent pair with their chemistry and characterization.

I’ll miss this series from Katie Reus. From the romance seekers to the thrill seekers, this series was captivating and fulfilling. Branded and sealed by Katie Reus!!!
4.5 Stars of AWESOME!

The end is here! The Redemption Harbor series is now complete and goes out with a bang!

This story focuses on Layla and Xavier. And he is scrumptiously bad! Xavier definitely has a bit of a dark side, but he is trying to do the right thing when it comes to Layla. He doesn’t believe that she could have a future with him because of his past, but when it comes time to step up, he goes all in. I was really surprised by how much I liked him. He was very reserved, but I definitely got why and when he did open himself it was awesome to experience.

Layla was a very sweet character. She knows that there is something about Xavier that has a darkness to it, but she doesn’t let that stop her. But there was only so much she could take. She took the story more than I would have expected her too, but she knows the other characters in the series, so I guess she had an inkling to the type of person that Xavier was and wasn’t as shocked by the revelations that came out.

Overall, very nice story with a great pace and a great ending to an awesome series! I am going to miss the characters in this series and hope that the author, while not bringing them back here, may intersperse them through other series that she rights. So, two thumbs up and happy reading!
This is another hit in the Redemption Harbor series.  Yay for Xavier and Layla when their friendship turns to more because someone is threatening her safety and Xavier will not standby and let her be in danger.  The question is will she accept him?  Her ex has made the way she looks at men change drastically.

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is such an enjoyable series, but I have to say that this story is on the lesser end of wonderful. I have a hard time believing that every single person nonchalantly accepts someone who is a professional assassin, even if he only kills “bad guys.” It just didn’t ring true.

Layla, as well, seems like she wouldn’t be accepting of someone in this line of work, especially considering her ex-fiancé.

While I liked the book, it was hard to believe.
5 Stars for author Katie Reus “ Chasing Vengeance “
ARC received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review ...
Opinions expressed are my own ...

Great - read  📚  - LOVED IT !!!

Layla has major trust issues after having been lied to by her ex fiancé .....
Xavier is a good friend that she is very attracted to but reluctant to chance taking things any further.

What she doesn’t know is that Xavier has secrets of his own - one being he makes a living as a hired killer.

When Layla is threatened by someone in Xavier’s past all bets are off in the “friends only “ department & it’s time for them both to reveal their true feelings ....

This book has a great story line - great characters / secondary characters  & sizzling chemistry between Layla & Xavier.

Can’t wait to read other books in the series as well as the back list for this author !

Highly recommend this book !!!!!!
Another superb book by Ms. Reus. THey keep getting better and better. The plot was quite interesting and flowed quite well. I loved the romance.
The final book in the redemption Harbor series and this one ended with a bang no whimpers here So often Authors take a series and make it too long so that it becomes the same thing over and over just with different names but Katie Reus never fell into this trap.

This is Xander and Layla's story. Xander is an ex hit man he now works for Redemption Harbor Consulting team a company where not all the employees are good but they are all determined to do good. He doesn't believe that with his past he is good enough for Layla so when  he meets her at Axels wedding he firmly places her in the friend zone. Layla has had a tough time and she wants Xander he needs to step up as he is super protective but when danger strikes he realises that he will need to protect her and that maybe he can be the man for her.
ARC received for review

I'm sad this series in now over, but this was a great book to end it with.

We met Layla in her BFF, Nova's, book after she escapes her ex-fiancee. Xavier is a hired killer and friends with Alex. They hook up and Xavier's past comes back to haunt him and hurt her. All the Redemption Security gang comes in to help.

Great epilogue with Skye and Colt. Tears that it's now over...maybe one day she could do Valencia's HEA
Loved it!  This was a fast-paced story I could not put down.  This book picks up Layla’s story since she moved to Redemption Harbor.  She is working to get her life back and move past her disastrous engagement.  Xavier has become someone she counts on, but she doesn’t know his true profession.  He is a hitman willing to walk away from Layla in order to keep her safe from his past.  Their story is full of passion and suspense.  I am so sad this series has come to an end.
Another great one by Katie Reus, but Dang it! I think this is the last in the series.  I enjoyed our conflicted and imperfect hero Xavier. And Layla was smart and no-nonsense, which I like.

My one criticism is that when Xavier revealed his profession to Layla, her reaction wasn't very believable. It was sort of glossed over--no big deal.  But it was a big deal. A REALLY big deal, or at least I would expect, especially when Layla was coming out of a dangerous past relationship. But other than this minor issue, it was a great read.

Solid 4-star read and a great way to end the series.
Layla has always found herself attracted to or men are attracted to her that are on the bad boy side of life. Now being away from her ex-fiancé who by the why was as it turned to also be a murder. She finds herself attracted to Xavier. She really does not know anything about him other than he is in finance. She would like to start something anything with him but after a kiss and then another of hot making out he shuts her down. She has now shut him down. That all comes to a screeching halt when she is kidnapped. Why because someone is really after Xavier. His real job hit-man and he now has to find her and tell her everything. Even the one thing that he dreads he wants to be with her. What will happen? Read this fast paced and exciting story to find out. Really liked this book with all of the different characters.
Visiting Redemption Harbor is like coming home and catching up with old friends. Although each book is a standalone read with its own HEA, there are friends and colleagues from previous books that give a real depth each story. Xavier and Layla's story in "Chasing Vengeance" is filled with drama, suspense, falling in love, and a connection that is hard to deny. The last book in the series, I am sad to be leaving the "Harbor", but look forward to the next great series by Katie Reus. **I was gifted copy of "Chasing Vengeance" from NetGalley. Leaving a review is voluntary and completely my own.** 5 Stars!
Finishing this wonderfully suspenseful series is Xavier and Layla. When Xavier's past puts Layla in danger, they forego trying to be "just friends" any longer. This was a great story, and there were a few twists to keep it interesting. I'm glad Xavier saw the light, and his abuela is glad too! Sorry to see this series conclude, but it was great nonetheless!
This is the next story in the Redemption Harbor series and we get to catch up with all of our favorite couples. Layla was introduced in the last book as a good friend of Nova’s who Gage helped out of a bad situation. The romance between Gage and Nova needed a little push and Layla’s life-threatening problem brought them together. Now she is part of the Redemption Harbor group of friends and she is eyeing Xavier as her new best friend, hopefully with some benefits.

Xavier is a mystery man. We are aware he’s a dangerous man with a very dangerous job. He doesn’t want to risk falling for someone only to put them in danger. But the pull with Layla is new for him. Can he deny himself, especially after he knows she feels something for him too? But Xavier’s job has drawn the attention of the wrong person. He is out for revenge and is going to get it through Layla.

This is another suspenseful and fast moving story with just the right amount of heat and you should enjoy the entire series but if this is the only one, it is easy to read for a stand alone….
I binge read the series in the span of two days and I shocked when I reached the final page of the book and found out that this is the final book in the Redemption Harbor series. After seven books, it's time we said goodbye to these characters and that made me a little sad. I do feel like the author could have given a better ending to our characters, but at least this way we have room for the author to revisit the series if she wants to do that someday. The ending was good, but not perfect.

For most of the book, I was picturing myself running after Xavier with a rolling pin, on one hand, trying to make him see how wrong he was. He was so hot and cold when it came to making Layla his which was frustrating. He could have acted a lot better in some situations, but it's all water under the bridge now, I guess. Layla was quite likable and a good person. If you have read the previous book, you will know that her former fiance was not a good man and she is now trying to have a normal life. Of course, when Xavier is your soulmate that possibility flys out of the window. Especially considering that someone is trying to harm her and she and Xavier must run and hide until they find out who that person is.

The suspense part of the story was the part I liked the most. Xavier's reluctance to have Layla in his life because of his profession while was understandable to some extent, made me wanna throw some sense into him and it made him treat her badly in some cases which is the reason why I wasn't a big fan of the romance in this story. Overall though, I would not only recommend the book, but also the series.
Well it is here at last.  Chasing Vengeance is book 7 and final story in the Redemption Harbor series.   It is a must read although you would be best reading the series in order.  You will not be disappointed.  This book centres on ex-hitman Xavier and Layla.  Loads of action, romance and a great story.

I received this ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.  All views are my own.