Betray Her

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Sep 2019

Unfortunately this book was not for me. I found it very slow and full of paragraph filling non necessary info at the start. It could have been pared down to be more exciting. I like to be grabbed by a book from the outset and unfortunately this book didn't do that for me.

Thank you to the author and Netgalley  for the opportunity to read it and wishing the author every success.
This was a slow start and I wasn't sure about the book but then it took off.  A fantastic read when the pace picked up. A story of two friends Jo and Kate with secrets, jealousy, bullying, love and resentment. Set in their school days 30 years ago and today. A powerful read with some great twists and surprises you do not see coming.
A slow start, but glad I kept at it as I enjoyed it very much in the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you so much to Netgalley for providing me with an advance copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Jo and Kate first met at public boarding school at the age if eight, forming a friendship that would last into adulthood.  They initially bond when faced with hardship, bullying and missing home, but their friendship soon become based around boys, marriage and babies.

This was such a good read!  The main character, Jo, was so likeable and real, that I felt `on side` with her all the way.  I liked how the alternating scenes from past and present revealed layers of questions and answers, twists and turns throughout.

Much more `feel good` and almost light hearted in places than the thrillers I read.  I think that this would be enjoyed by fans of 'Girl on the Train' and 'Gone Girl', but also by those who grew up enjoying 'Malory Towers'!

I look forward to reading more from this author.
"Best friends forever.

That's the pact you made.

You'd do anything for her.

(And you have)

She has it all.

If you could take it for yourself . . . would you?"

I must admit that it took me a little longer to get into this book than i expected, but that (i think) is down to me being in a bit of a reading slump :( but now i seem to be over it! Once i hot about 40% i couldn't stop reading and read the rest in one sitting. I felt that the characters were believable and I felt awkward towards Kate's character from the offset. The plot line was good but i did work out what was going to happen / was happening quite early on, but this didn't make the book off putting at all as i still enjoyed it!

I would recommend this to anybody who likes crime / thrillers.
Personally it didn’t get interesting for me until I was half way through. I enjoyed the ending and felt it made the book come together. I’m glad I persevered with it. It has a lot of great reviews on Amazon so certainly worth a read. I would like to read another of her novels.
This book was slow to start and never really picked up pace.
The book was written well and could have been so much better
This book spends time on a friendship spanning more than 30 years.  Having a friend like that, I could relate to the friendship bonds that were formed and strengthened over the years.  It is a slow burner, but still a solid read.
Really enjoyed this novel. The writing flowed and the characters were depicted very well. Couldn't wait to find out what happens next.
Many thanks to Caroline England and Brown Books for the opportunity to read and review this book. Betray Her was a good read if a little outlandish.  Based on a complex friendship between Kate and Jo the book takes us back and forth over the lifetime of their friendship.  Starting in boarding school to the present day when the women are now in their forties. Both in love with the same man, their friendship is based on love  hate and jealousy. I enjoyed the book but didn't like the characters much
Thank you #NetGalley for an advance copy of Betray Her in exchange for my honest opinion.

This book just wasn't for me. The problem might be that I read too many thrillers and it's getting more difficult that I get surprised and hooked by them.

The book started with the scene where the two main characters, Jo and Kate meet each other. I wasn't interested in their childhood but it was a good starting point as to how these two people became friends.

Then, the book jumped to the present. 30 years later but it all started in a weird way. I was quite lost. I didn't know who was talking. I didn't understand everything that was being said. I found the writing style difficult and at some point confusing. I tried my best and kept reading but I wasn't enjoying it much.

Other thing that strike me as odd at the beginning was how careless were Kate and his husband with Jo. They asked her very hard and straight questions in nore than one ocassion and I was like: WTF? Why do they have to be so raw with her? And they are her friends...?

Also, why were they obsessed with her getting a new boyfriend? Why didn't they accept her situation? Why did they push her?

Then I got to understand all those questions but instead of agreeing with them I just kind of despised them! What a tale of jealousy, lies, "friendship" and hurting.

I could not like any of the characters. Not a single one and that made me detached myself fro the story. I just didn't care about them.

There are twists and turns but as I wasn't immerse in the story, they didn't shock me.

It's a shame as I was very excited about this book but, unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it.
I was gripped from the very first page! Caroline England’s second novel is expertly crafted to shock the reader as many times as possible and I found myself gasping several times as all the clues left in the novel fell into place. Brilliant read, 5 stars
Sadly I couldn't get into this. It was well written, so I'm sure others will enjoy it, but it didn't reel me in as I would've liked. Thank you for my chance to read and review, and I will still try others by this author
A good story well written and easy to read.  Betray Her is a dark tale, not fast paced  but is an intriguing and unsettling read which absorbs you as the story unfolds.
A good read if you like psychological thrillers.
Jo and Kate met at boarding school when they were little girls, Kate coming from a more upper class and money type family, Jo a bit scruffy and feeling out of place. A friendship cemented and now we are decades later, the ladies are in their thirties and living very different lives. Kate seems to have it all, Jo struggling personally and her icy exterior and chip on her shoulder still impacting on here life choices/happiness. As Jo spends more time with Kate she realises her friends perfect life may not be so perfect and just how well do they know each other?

A psychological thriller that focuses heavily on friendship and family. We go between present and past getting more of a feel for the girls and how their friendship cemented and endured their hard times at school. There are a lot of twists along the way and lets the reader see sides of the ladies that helped shape who they are now.

In the present day, even though the ladies are close, some of their interactions, how they spoke to each other, for me there seemed an undercurrent. Supportive words but just a hint of something being a bit off but I couldn't put my finger on what it was exactly. For me I really didn't like Jo, she seemed to look down on people and have a massive attitude because of her experiences as a kid which you can understand to a degree but still. Kate I flipped a wee bit about as she seems like the sweet one, caring, housewife, family orientated but was it because I disliked Jo so much. I flipped back and forth on both the characters as England gave a bit more on one, then the other, then flung a curve ball every now and again. A book that keeps you on your toes, the timeline jumps are done well and flow so as not to distract from the flow of the story and gives you more insight into why they are as they. 4/5 for me this time, I have another of this authors on my tbrm, I need to bump it up, a story that will keep you guessing to what is coming next.
This novel is set in The Peak district,Manchester and Corfu flashung back to the past with the story unfolding throughout, I live just outside Manchester so loved the setting...fantastic! Really enjoyed reading this thriller about jealousy, betrayal and murder. Kept me up into the early hours as I couldn’t put it down. Great plot and characterisation. The love story was brilliantly portrayed - so intense and steamy. I will look out for her books in future!
I got the chance to read this thanks to Netgalley.l give this book 3.5 stars
A story of friendship, love,jealousy, secrets and betrayal.Not everything is as it seems!
I enjoyed reading this although it took me a while to get into it,about half way through l was hooked and literally didn't put it down until l finished it.Great twist at the end!
Sorry. I was disappointed by this book. It was predictable. It is about the lies, secret and jealousy between 2 supposed friends. I couldn’t warm to any of the characters and I struggled to finish the book.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
A slow read. I absolutely loved the premise but it wasn’t quite as impactful as I wanted. Good but not great.
I found this book to be rather over hyped. It's an OK 2.5* read that begins with 2 girls meeting at boarding school, both from very different backgrounds and their relationship continues amongst jealousy, lies and secrets.
It just didn't grab me, I'm afraid.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to preview.