Frozen: The Author's Cut

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Oct 2019

Frozen by Jay Bonansinga is a crazy combination of The X-Files and Supernatural. This book is seriously good!

I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN! Mummy’s, bear attacks, Mummy’s, demonic possession, Mummy’s, and exorcisms. Did I mention MUMMY’S! I did not see that coming, not at all. When I started reading this book I was getting some strong X-Files vibes (cue theme music). As I read my way through this bloody masterpiece it became apparent that X-Files was TAME compared to this book. I really enjoyed the mix of genres. You get a little true crime, thriller, mystery, suspense, and HORROR! Jay Bonansinga is incredibly talented. He is the writer behind The Walking Dead novel series. These books are amazing so naturally, I looked into other books by him which led me to Frozen. His stories are often fast-paced, action-packed, and filled with suspense. In addition to that, Frozen is extremely intelligent. Jay Bonansinga’s writing in this book can be compared to that of Michael Crichton. I enjoyed this read a lot but I found the ending to be a little off. I’d love to see this continue in a series but the ending has me thrown for a loop. Regardless of that, the author is sure to enthrall you with this thrilling and intelligent read that will certainly leave you wanting more.

“There is no explanation for evil. It must be looked upon as a necessary part of the order of the universe. —W. Somerset Maugham”

This book has a little bit of everything for readers. Much like the X-Files, the story has supernatural elements that trickle into an FBI investigation. I know there are lots of you that think that many X-Files episodes were scary but they were not like this. The Antagonist in this story embarks on a bloody massacre and he doesn’t give a shit what the FBI thinks. TRUST ME, this book is fast-paced adding the thrill to the read. You're either uncovering big clues surrounding the mystery behind the mummy creature or you're witnessing its macabre killing through demonic eyes. The HORROR of it all! Jay Bonansinga is not new to creating characters that will haunt the pages and Frozen is proof of it. I remember reading The Walking Dead Governor series and thinking that the author did such an amazing job making the zombies scary and he definitely did that again here. When I picture a mummy (if that's what he is) I picture the living dead, which doesn’t always mean scary because there are lots of zombies that are slow shambling creatures that aren’t that effective unless they attack by surprise or in a mass horde. The antagonist in this book is a decaying beast that will leave you with chills as you follow its journey. It was the perfect adversary for the protagonist.

“The old fart’s done it this time, Olivia thought to herself as she looked around the dim room and heard that crackling sound again beneath her. She looked down and her heart started beating faster. Blood.”

Credibility. This is something extremely important to me when reading. Authors that write with intelligence and accuracy build credibility and readers notice. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good story. I know that fiction is exactly that, fictional. BUT, when I read a book I expect that the writer has done their research in some way shape or form. I've heard of writers riding in the back of a cop car or shadowing people for research so they get the details that give their writing credibility. I don’t know the lengths Jay Bonansinga went to get the details that stitched this story together but im confident that he did and it shows in his writing. I can’t say how much I appreciate this.

“By 8:30 that morning, in the veils of mist billowing in from the Pacific coast, the Regal Motel teemed with somber activity. A kaleidoscope of cruiser lights and emergency flares streaked the sheets of rain with bloody watercolours, attracting onlookers like flames beckoning a swarm of moths.”

I refuse to say that the ending was bad… It just didn’t seem right. I think that maybe I just didn’t agree with the ending and thats why it threw me for a loop. There was a lot going on in the end and it was all very unexpected. The ending was just different from the rest of the story. Have you ever read a passage or a chapter that seemed wrong, almost like the writer was in a different place when they wrote that part of the story. Well that was what the ending was like for me. Not bad, just wrong…

I rate Frozen by Jay Bonansinga 4 / 5 stars. I recommend this story to those of you that are intrigued by the supernatural and have an investigative mind. You won’t be able to help but have tremendous confidence in the writer with this fast-paced and chilling tale that will be sure to entice most audiences. I didn’t really like the way the story wrapped-up but this was still extremely entertaining to read. Move over Mulder and Scully, there's a new team in town. And don’t forget folks, The truth is out there.

www.thebookdad.ca
www.instagram.com/thebookdad
www.twitter.com/thebookdad1
www.facebook.com/thebookdad
www.pinterest.com/thebookdad
www.goodreads.com/thebookdad
disclaimer: i received a copy of this book via burns & lea books in return for an honest review.

the description of "frozen: the author's cut" by jay bonansinga caught my attention and seemed like a story i'd enjoy. i didn't know how right i was.

bonansinga slams you into this story with the very first sentence and doesn't let you go. he effortlessly merges the pursuit of a serial killer with an archeological find and a centuries old supernatural power without it all seeming contrived. additionally, he creates rich characters who you invest in almost immediately and infuses a sense of urgency without it feeling artificial.

i finished this book in one night and am happy to report that it's only the first in a series. i'm looking forward to following ulysses grove on further investigations.

four out of five stars
There's a lot I wanted to like about this - FBI profiling, elusive serial killer, a paranormal twist - but this is a heavily flawed book.

If you've seen "Hannibal", you'll recognise a little Will Graham in Ulysses Groves in the way he reads a crime scene, which I struggled to get past. There's quite a few far fetched events as well, such as academics suddenly being able to fly round the world at a moment's notice just to attend a meeting to see how many have discovered evidence of similar crimes. In a world of email and video conferencing, it simply wouldn't happen.

Overall, this isn't bad but it isn't great. However, I have an open mind about subsequent books in the series, which I feel has potential.
This is an interesting concept for a story about a serial killer but I admit it took me a little while to get into it. About 1/3rd of the way in is when it finally starts to pick up but I'm not sure if most people would stick around that long. However, once it picks it up, is steadily good again until you get towards the ending where things become somewhat overly complicated. Overall, this didn't quite live up to my expectations but it's not a bad way to spend some time either.
I was instantly drawn in to this book because of the premise. serial Killers, frozen mummies had me excited for this story.

The pacing on the book was off to me. The set up for the trip to see the frozen mummy and the set up for why he had the stress induced breakdown at the beginning of the story happened too fast.

Though overall it was a okay story that had me guessing and the premise of a character who can see details in a crime scene others can't was interesting I wish it was a bit better executed.
Firstly, thanks to Netgalley, the publishers and the author for a free ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

Introducing Ulysses Grove, an FBI profiler with an uncanny ability to see things at crime scenes that nobody else can. He is able to piece together incidents by experiencing visions of the crimes. In Frozen, Ulysses is tasked with tracking down the Sun City killer, a murderer who poses his victims bodies post mortem in a strange manner, with their arm in the air, as if reaching for something. The problem is, the killer is proving to be very elusive, impossible to track down, and the bodies start piling up.

I love FBI profiler stories. There is something about the way these people can look at a crime and work out exactly what kind of person  could commit those crimes that just fascinates me. Add a little bit of the paranormal, and you've hooked me in. It almost seems like cheating that Ulysses has his abilities, which he doesn't want to admit could be supernatural, but he uses them anyway.

I really enjoyed this book, and it turned out to be the page turner it promised. The plot was very well laid out, the twists around the culprit was interesting and the ensemble of peripheral characters were good. My only real criticism was that I didn't feel like Ulysses Grove 's background was explored enough. There were touches of information about his Kenyan/Jamaican heritage, a little bit about his poor relationship with his mother, but not enough to really fill him in as the mystery he turns out to be. I'm hoping that, as this is book 1 of a series, that the author fills that in a bit more.

Otherwise, a good entertaining read.
Tom Grove is a paranormal FBI profiler working for the Behavioral Science Unit. With an extremely high success rate he is under pressure to solve a string of murders committed by a killer dubbed the Sun City Killer and having the same signature.

Maura is a magazine editor with a special interest in the recent discovery of a mummified body dating back to the middle century.

The connection they feel may never have the opportunity to grow into a relationship if one of them is forced to take the hand of evil.

What I thought was going to be similar to others I have read and enjoyed ended out in front eg by inclusion of the mummified body and possession.

Grove was my favourite character. A man open to new possibilities despite heartbreak in the past, having special skills and good looking without vanity. An appealing and somewhat complex fellow.

This is a serial killer story with an unexpected twist guaranteed to keep you interested, guessing and on the edge of your seat.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free digital copy of the uncorrected proof in return for an honest review.
I was gifted a copy of this book through NetGalley for an honest review: 2.5/5 (rounded to 3)

Overall, I felt that the story premise was really interesting, and that was what really drew me into the book and made me request a copy to read in the first place. The beginning of the book starts out in the beginning of drama which puts the reader right into the thick of it at the start, which I appreciated. It sometimes felt like the expositional material that is eventually sprinkled in to give the characters a more detailed past was often a little jarring as the writing wasn't super smooth. The characters for the most part were fairly average. I was hoping to really be drawn into at least one of the main characters, but most of them were fairly two-dimensional.

The book itself is divided into four separate sections, and Sections 1 and 2 were pretty good. Nearing the end of section 2, the story stops making complete sense and it caused me to begin questioning if I was even reading the correct book when I revisited the story after a week break. There are even parts of the story that do not seem to really fit the narrative all that well, but maybe these will be cleaned up before the actual release of the book as this was an unedited draft that was sent, and hopefully they will catch the random spelling mistakes and awkward formatting too.

With this being the first book in a series, I was expecting there to be more depth overall to have readers wanting to continue with the series as the story progresses, however I do not for-see myself picking up the rest of series.
I received a copy of Frozen: The Author’s Cut from NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. So, thank you NetGalley and Burns and Lea Books for my copy.

FBI Profiler Ulysses Grove was once the FBI’s top closer. He has a unique knack for catching killers: he can ‘see’ into their mind, and he knows what they are going to do next. But, this ability to track killers is weakening, and he is tormented by his failure to catch the Sun City serial killer, who has just claimed his sixth victim.

When Grove’s boss receives a message from science journalist Maura County, asking for some assistance on her story about a strange ice mummy excavated in Alaska, it gives him the perfect opportunity to give Grove some well earned rest. However, this story turns out to be a lot more than anticipated. Grove and County soon find evidence that the Ice Man was also killed by the Sun City killer – six thousand years ago.

This discovery plunges them both into a nightmare of paranormal evil as they struggle to stop a force as eternal and powerful as time itself.

When initially reading the synopsis for this book, I was so intrigued that I had to see how this story played out in full. However, I didn’t enjoy this reading experience as much as I thought I would. Don’t get me wrong, the story is okay, but quite predictable, and a little boring at times.

By half way through, you already know the identity of the killer, and that for me was where the book went downhill. All of the mystery of the story was gone, and it definitely got less exciting from that point. The idea of a serial killer who has been at large for six thousand years is so unique, and in theory a brilliant plot, but for some reason, this just didn’t seem to work.

I felt completely disconnected from the characters, and didn’t really care for their back stories. Parts of the story didn’t even seem to make sense, and other parts just weren’t necessary.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed, but the story wasn’t terrible, so I give it a 2/5 rating.
Frozen is about an FBI agent Ulysses.  He's investigating a serial killer that kills his victims the same way every time.  He starts to burn out while on the case, so his boss sends him on another case in Alaska to give him a break from the serial killer case.  In Alaska, they have discovered a 6000 year old body that's been preserved in a glacier.  When he examines the body, he discovers similarities in the Alaskan case with the serial killer case!  I really enjoyed this book.  It's a thriller mystery that keeps you guessing and wondering the whole time.  It has a lot of twists and surprises throughout the book.
Frozen is an interesting book though at the beginning I found some difficulties as I felt that I was put in the middle of a situation with Grove, the main character.  This was rectified that once I finish reading the book, I realised that this was series which explains my feelings at the beginning.

Bonansinga has an interesting character in Grove and proves to be the fascinating inspiration that carries the story forward.  The mystery unfolds in an interesting way but at times sometimes the mystical gets lost within the science.

He has done his research in the pathology and crime labs which really make the story shine.  The exposition for the crimes and the investigation is very high calibre.  This is where the novel really comes into its own.  The human relationships sometimes take a backseat but again this may have to do more with this being the middle of a series and there may be a lot of juxtaposition with character that may have come from previous instalments.  Saying this, this does not take away from the overall enjoyment of the novel.

The mystery and suspense work very well and following along with Groves as he tries to catch a serial killer work very well.  When the story turns to something beyond the realms of this world, then the story slowly loses some of the grit and grime that was before.  Personally, it felt a bit rushed and felt like an afterthought.  This did not spoil the overall enjoyment because Bonansinga has a great main character in Groves but it did make me waver slightly.

Overall, this is a quick fun read and does keep you on tenterhooks.  This is an author’s cut and as I had not read the original cut, the slight problems I found could be in this edit of the book.  I do recommend the book and think that if you like your crime fiction with colourful characters that take a slight turn off the beaten track that you really can’t go wrong but a tighter control of the mystical side would be the perfect win.
I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Thanks NetGalley!

I haev to start this off by saying I love Jay bonansinga.  If you've read his other work, than you already know how amazing his writing is.

This book was no different.    The characters are likable, and after about 15%, i was hooked.
Frozen by Jay Bonansinga
Frozen
by Jay Bonansinga (Goodreads Author)
M 50x66
Lou Jacobs's review May 06, 2019  ·  edit
really liked it

Enter the paranormal world of FBI profiler: Ulysses Grove. Grove throughout his childhood has experienced crazy spells ... visions .. not hallucinations. He has used these visions and dream images like a mathematician uses equations. As a wizard uses runes. His ability to make cerebral leaps is legendary amongst the bureau. He finds himself to be embroiled and frustrated in an ongoing series of homicides involving the Sun City serial killer. The victims are dispatched with a sharp weapon (spear; sword; or arrow) to the back of the neck in the high cervical region and then posed post-mortem in identical fashion ... with one arm and hand raised in a "summoning" fashion. Despite the murder count climbing to seven .. they have no identifiable motive. The usual psycho-social need or fetish in the crime is not present. His superiors sense his frustration and "burn-out" and divert him from the investigation by sending him away on a PR mission to help provide a profile involving an archeological find and possible murder. The "Mount Cairn Ice Man" was found in the Alaskan Lake Clark National Park ... uncovered was a Neolithic male from the Copper Age and carbon-dated to approximately 6,000 years ago. The preserved Mummy appears to have been murdered or sacrificed.
Ulysses, even after a cursory review, realizes that this Neolithic male was murdered with an identical signature of the Sun City serial killer. The implications are myriad and at the same time, unfathomable.
Bonansinga provides a lyrical narrative that in a cinematic fashion reveals the escalating bloodshed and mayhem. The suspense is sequentially ratcheted up with the reader inadvertently turning pages faster and faster at a breakneck rate. The reader is easily able to suspend his belief system and accept the twisted paranormal events.
Thanks to NetGalley for providing an Uncorrected Proof of this definitive Author's Cut of this novel in exchange for an honest review. I now have another writer to add to my Must Read List.
This book is different to books I would usually choose to read, however the description caught my attention. I was skeptical at the beginning of the book as to whether it was something I would enjoy, however by about 20% I was hooked! The storyline is gripping and the characters are very likable. The author obviously has good knowledge about the history and mythology related to the story and it proves for a very interesting read.
I have a weakness for serial killer thriller suspense books. As long as they are fictional, haha. Frozen was heart grippingly suspenseful in the best kind of way. Jay Bonansinga made it feel like you were right in the book and when I put it down, it took me a few minutes to grasp reality again. My favorite kind of book!
I liked this book quite a bit.  The protagonist reminded me of a cross between ex-President Obama and the character Alex Cross in the series by that name James Patterson writes, both moral men.  I would have given this 5*s but I found the beginning a bit slow and it took a while for me to get into the story, but once it got going, I was there.  I've read several of Jan Bonansinga's books in the Walking Dead world and know he's a great wordsmith. He really excels in actions scene because of the sharp and eloquent descriptions and this novel is no exception.  The ending in the mountains, for example, is terrific and the language used to describe the tense situation is just about poetic. The scene that followed—the exorcism—felt a bit quick and skimpy in detail, kind of rushed.  As it happens, I saw Otzi at the South Tyrol Museum when I was in Italy a while ago, The Ice Man mummy used as the basis of the story, so I could easily picture him. A clever idea overall.
Frozen The Authors Cut.. I had a hard time with this one. VERY slow moving. Never really takes off and draws you in.
Evil Never Dies
The Sun City Serial Killer just made his sixth kill. Who’s next?
FBI Profiler Ulysses Grove is tormented by his failure to catch the Sun City serial killer. Once the FBI’s top closer, Grove has a unique knack for catching killers: he can ‘see’ into the killer’s mind and know what he will do next.
But now Grove’s greatest fear is tearing him apart: this ability to track serial killers is weakening.
Science journalist Maura County needs Grove’s forensics expertise for her story about a bizarre ice mummy excavated in Alaska. Grove’s boss sends him to check it out and there they find evidence that the ice mummy was also murdered by the Sun City killer – six thousand years ago.
This plunges Grove and County into a nightmare of paranormal evil that will drive them into the darkest reaches of the human heart as they struggle to stop a force as eternal and powerful as time itself, before it kills again.

FBI Agent Ulyssees Grove is on the hunt of the Sun City serial killer.... forced to take leave, he is sent on what he thinks if a wild goose chase to see the site and remains of a 6000 year old mummified body which had been discovered the year before. dubbed "the Ice Man". The first thing Grove notices is that the way the mummy died is the mirror image of the Sun City's serial killer's victims!!!! How can modern victims bear the same pose and same wounds as a 6000 year old mummy....
An interesting plot line with some supernatural elements to it.
The book was an interesting plot with some supernatural elements to it, so you will enjoy this book if you are a fan of fantasy as well!
Recommend Reading.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Burns & Lea for an advanced copy of this novel.
Frozen (The Author’s Cut) by Jay Bonansinga goes one step beyond the conventions of the everyday tale of FBI versus a serial killer.

Readers join FBI profiler Ulysses Grove as he agonizes over his inability to solve a case.  The Sun City Killer has taken six lives, and Ulysses is at a dead end.  He cannot sleep.  The stress is affecting him physically.  He suffers from fainting spells.  And beneath it all lies the long-time stress of a strained relationship with his mother and the pain of losing a beloved wife only a few years ago.  Ulysses is a complicated and highly likable protagonist--smart, honorable, elegant, and loyal.  Most important, he demonstrates great respect for humanity as shown when he attempts to revive a dying victim.  Readers will care about him and become loyal followers.  Although Frozen is an extension of a series, readers can enjoy this story without having read any of the earlier novels.

Grove finally gets a tip that seems like a long shot, but he will do anything to catch the Sun City Killer.  Urged on by a science journalist, Grove heads to Alaska to examine a recently-discovered, tattooed, frozen body over six thousand years old.  Experts note that it is posed in a gesture of summoning.  Along with Grove, readers will doubt the possibly of a connection between an ancient mummy, his tattoos, and the Sun City Killer.

The serial killer is a fascinating character.  This successful, well-respected business man is intense, relentless, unpredictable, and demonic.  His determination and strength seem unnatural.  His victims seem randomly chosen.  The unlikely killer is at once disturbing and sympathetic--the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.  To stop him, Grove must find an explanation for the killing spree and discover his inexplicable motivation.

Bonansinga is a masterful writer.  His prose is clean and smooth.  There are no wasted words or superfluous dialogue tags, so readers will fly through the text without interruption.  Show prevails over tell, thus drawing readers closer into the action.  The backstory is never dumped on the reader, since its elements are strategically positioned throughout the story to tantalize the reader and prepare him for the unexpected conclusion.

The action takes place in interesting locations across the country.  The author takes readers along for the ride via lush and evocative descriptions.  The supporting characters are well-drawn and work together seamlessly, even the less likable.

The plot is fast paced and never bores.  However, at times one might want the pace to slow down in order to luxuriate in the hints of romance and the unforeseeable, unfolding outcome.  Realistic enforcement procedure creates an aura of authority.

"To paraphrase the Bard, there’s far more in heaven and earth than you’ve ever dreamed, Agent Grove" (Father Carrigan).

One astounding plot twist that makes this mystery unique requires a willing suspension of disbelief that would make Coleridge proud—the inclusion of the metaphysical.

It a time when science and its uncompromising sensibilities rule, Bonansinga’s readers are compelled to accept the possibility of subtle supernatural elements.  Those who may hesitate to accept such content might do well to examine books such as Field Guide to the Spirit World by Susan Martinez, Ph.D. and Self Deliverance by K.A. Schneider.  Both books could serve to urge readers to rethink long-held convictions.

Frozen is a novel that is recommended for readers of mystery, crime, and the supernatural.  The only downside of the novel is the fact that it ends too soon.

Rougeskireads.com
"There's a concept in forensics known as the "evidence clock." The clock starts the moment a murder is committed, at which time the hard evidence starts to degrade. Prints mingle, DNA washes away, blood dries and flakes and vanishes. Even psychological evidence atrophies over time. Body positioning is changed as uniformed officers move things. It's an unavoidable aspect to crime scene processing . . . and nobody knows this better than the FBI profilers."

◆ Ulysses: The best profiler in FBI history, self-proclaimed "Beefcake" (extremely handsome, TOO HANDSOME to be taken seriously...he sure isn't humble), and The Chosen One. I really felt like he was a total "Sue", written to be this extremely special person and everyone bends over backwards for him, even when he's an asshole. I was uncomfortable with how he was so self-loathing over his black features and his black heritage (African / Jamaican). Overall he seemed an okay character, if you can get past the whole Sue-ness.

◆ Maura: Editor at Discover Magazine and total quirky blonde who reaches out to Ulysses to come profile the 6,000 year old murder victim mummy discovered up in the Alaskan mountains. She was inserted into the story to move the plot along: a link between Ulysses and the Sun City serial killer, a love interest (which for me didn't pan out in the slightest, it really shouldn't have happened). Her life is put in danger which 'helps' Ulysses move past the loss of his wife years ago. I just really didn't appreciate how her character was used as a means of personal growth for the male MC. I also think it's really icky when a man refers to a love interest as "kid" or "kiddo", I cringe every time.

I loved the premise, and the book cover. The writing itself was quite annoying at times with repeated phrasings and the like (a personal pet peeve). At around 30% of the way into the book we collectively discover who the serial killer is, and from then on out the story centers on way too much police work in hunting the killer down. Except it was pretty boring. For me that killed the mystery, so to speak. I really wanted to like the paranormal aspects of the plot, and while I appreciate the uniqueness, it didn't come together in an interesting way for me.

I wasn't given much incentive to care about the MCs backstory, and the supporting characters didn't catch my interest either. The attempts at romance were stilted and awkward, and like I said earlier I really didn't appreciate the use of inserting a female character into the plot to move along a male characters internal woes in such a brusque manner, it's rude. Women are people, not just the object of the state of a man's mental health and successes in life.

There were several instances in the book where things didn't add up, so the scenes felt 'closed off' from reality. The ending itself was pretty cool, yet partly silly how all of a sudden Ulysses has all these epiphanies and everything spontaneously falls into place. The fact that he only felt comfortable with his black culture at the end of the book, after seeing that it made him special (because of a paranormal reason, not because he naturally grew to love his roots), didn't sit well with me. You don't need a paranormal reason to feel special in your own skin, and the narrative leaning otherwise is unnecessary.

Regarding being interested in this book because the author worked with Robert Kirkman on Return to Woodbury...well...TWD and Frozen are not comparable in the slightest.