Almost Adults

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Jul 2019

There's a lot to like about this book.

I'd say 3 out of the 4 point of view characters are relatable and have strong voices and personality that come across on the page and keep you reading. It's a story about messy love-lives, drinking with friends, a support network of women with strong bonds and a boat-load of humour.

I tended to glaze over during the Emma point of view chapters because not much seems to happen in these and maybe she lacks the sass of the other characters, but the rest was enough to keep me hooked and reading.
This was a great story about friends being there for each other through good times and bad.

Relatable characters and situations that kept me turning the pages
I really struggled with the way this was written
Each chapter follows a different character which meant I was forever  turning back pages.
The story was also fairly repetitive.
Not for me.
I really liked this book and can relate to it.  Four friends together forever in the same area or so they thought but circumstances change in their mid twenties.  The book has some really funny bits Edele being my favourite of the girls.  It is also sad and emotional and that adds to be delight.  It did get a little confusing with four girls and each having a chapter to themselves and then moving onto the next girl but I felt that this added to the dimension of the characters themselves and gave insight to them on their personal level.  Highs and lows but more importantly a lovely read
This book was perfection. As a girl in her late 20s still trying to get everything figured out, it really spoke to me. The characters were so relatable, and reminded me that no one is perfect. Some days we smash life and sometimes we don’t. And that’s okay. I’m already recommending this to my friends.
I downloaded this because this is the exact kind of book I've been looking for as a mid-twenty something reader and I found it very enjoyable and relatable. Whilst life did seem to end up fairly neatly for these girls, the struggles that all of them went through from relationships to therapy, house-shares to living with the parents were things that my generation of readers can definitely empathise with.

Fun, relatable and timeless, this story is for young women who are looking to find their place in the world and feel like they're cocking it up no end.
I would say this was more 3.5 stars. I liked it, was very readable my only criticism there wasn’t anything that made it stand out from other similar books I’ve read.  Still worth a read
Oh to have a group of friends .like these!

We all had a "lifelong" friend/s at school, but how many of us continue to be friends, after school and/or higher education finishes? Not many, that's for sure.

This group of 4 friends are amazing, going through thick and thin together, and truly having each others backs. I laughed and cried with them until the end came, all too quickly.

A really enjoyable book.
What I liked about the sound of this book was the way it seemed to question when exactly we are considered grown up members of the adult community. I think this is different for all of us depending on so many different things.

The four women at the centre of Almost Adults are navigating their way through life as best they can. One of them comes up with the term that gives the book its title and it’s a very apt description for them. They’re in their late twenties. Natasha and Alex seem to have it all sorted out, living with their respective partners. But just when they think they know which direction their lives are going in something happens to shake them up. Then there’s Edele who still lives with her mother and brother, looking around for a job and earning money from her mum for washing her car. The fourth member of the gang is Mackie, who is very switched on, very career and health focused, and yet there is that little something missing from her life.

I really liked all the women but I think Mackie was my favourite. Maybe that’s because she wasn’t chaotic like the others, she knew where she wanted her life to go and was very organised. The strength in this story is the solid friendship between them all and how that is most important to them, although as the book ends they might just be making that transition from Almost Adults to fully fledged ones and with that comes change and new priorities.

This is a book that made me smile quite a bit and guffaw once or twice. Despite the fact that I can’t personally relate to a lot of it, I still found myself drawn into the lives of the very likeable characters and wondering where life was going to take them next. Each chapter is from the point of view of a different character and I liked how this both enabled them to put across their story and also allowed the reader to see the other characters through their eyes.

Almost Adults is a really lovely story of friendship, the kind that doesn’t always come along very often, people who have your back, would drop everything to help you, to comfort you. It’s also about getting through job interviews, dealing with relationship break ups and working out what you want from life. I thought it was a really engaging debut from Ali Pantony.
I was too old for this book. Four female friends find they can rely on one another when the going got tough and their friendship came across well. They did disagree, but always found they could forgive and move on. their lives were played out among other family members, but always the strong bond of friendship shone through. A book for Millennials, not middle aged women!
I tend to avoid women's fiction and what's sometimes disparagingly known as 'chick lit' because I don't often identify with the characters. But I like Ali Pantony's writing and picked this up to see if my very typical millennial soul could relate to the Almost Adults she writes about here- Alex, Edele, Nat and Mackie. And I could! Pantony has hit the nail on the head, relating the relationship between these four late 20s women through WhatsApp messages and diary-ish entries from each of their perspectives as they pass through large challenges in the space of 6 months- new jobs, new partners, breakups, messing up, grief and depression. I think Pantony did a great job with the personalities of these women, drawing out elements in each that I could identify with. This is a quick but lovely read, full of actual emotion, big choices and loads of heart.
The MEAN girls.....the initials of four childhood friends and their whatsapp group.   Nat’s boyfriend has just dumped her, and the grils rally round.  The story of true friendships and finding yourself.   Really enjoyable read.
Absolutely blown away by this. The characters’ voices, the jokes and the life observations are all absolutely stunning. I genuinely laughed out loud a few times - the mark of well written comic moments.

Cannot recommend this more highly.
I enjoyed this.  Well written characters, each one of the main characters had their own individual story that drew you in.  Great book.
This is a feel-good story of four friends - Nat, Alex, Edele and Mackie, all in their late twenties who are making their way through adulthood. They face heartbreak, unemployment and hardships but their friendship is strong ✨ I loved the characters, I enjoyed each characters story and warmed to them all. I loved how Nat grew stronger as the book went on, Edele for having belief in herself and making changes, Mackie for her sarcasm and Alex for having her happy ever after. I warmed to the characters and cheered for them as the story developed. Friendships are amazing. I laughed and I throughly enjoyed this book. My first #netgalley book and I would like to say thank you @penguinukbooks
Made me wish for more friends, sigh.

A good holiday read for me.  Enjoyed the 4 main characters and could identify with different aspects of all of them (perhaps because I'm a couple of decades older and lived a bit more, been there, seen it etc).
This was a fun easy read. Even though I am some way out of being in my 20s, I really enjoyed this. I felt each girl was different and enjoyed seeing how their lives and histories entwined. A feel-good holiday read.
It's an okay book to read - something for holiday, as not too burdensome in the thinking department.  Rehashing the old story of four people who struggle to adult.  Nothing new here.  The characters aren't as strong as they could be, and over all is just a bit weak.  Like a wine spritzer without the bubbles.

I also really hate it when authors get basic facts wrong - you never get seven reminders to pay your council tax.  You get one.  And then they send it to a clams company.  Which if the author had used that instead, would have at least added something to this otherwise tired story.
I absolutely loved this story about friendship and how it lasts through everything else no matter what! The trials and tribulations of a group of girls and their lives and how they remain a constant!
Mackie, Edele, Alex and Nat are four best friends, desperately trying to navigate their 20s together. With breakups, new jobs, new relationships and major decisions, growing up can get messy, but at least they have each other.

As a 24-year-old woman, Almost Adults is one of the most relatable books I’ve read. It is funny and charming, and a very accurate representation of female friendship, with a lot of emphasis on the importance of having people you can rely on in your lowest moments.

The story follows all four women, as they each try to get through their own individual dramas. Nat, dealing with a breakup and learning to live on her own; Edele, trying to find a job and move out of her mum’s house; Mackie, deciding whether she’s ready to make a big move for her career; and Alex, watching the breakdown of her best friend’s relationship and becoming convinced that her own boyfriend is cheating on her. These are very realistic problems and the girls all have believable personalities, so it felt like I could have been reading about real people.

My one criticism would be that the girls didn’t have distinct voices. Although each clearly had their own narrative features to make it clear whose perspective each chapter was written from, the actual voices sounded the same across the whole book. I would have liked for the girls to have had more individual voices to distinguish between them, rather than just narrative methods such as lists, etc.

I would definitely recommend this book to all 20-something women looking for an enjoyable read.