Saved as Draft: Stories of Self-Discovery Through Letters and Notes

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Sep 2019

I was intrigued by the premise of Saved as Draft. The idea of self-discovery through letters and notes is something that we don't often see. N.D Chan's work is unique, they show us the world through a variety of lenses as a small child left to be raised by her Grandparents before being brought to the US to her mother, but not her father. It also looks at the relationships they have, their exes, the relationship with their mother and, most importantly themselves. I did enjoy reading but felt that it could have gone into more detail, it wasn't until the end that I thought I had connected with the author - but I would like to know more. I gave this 3 stars. Thank you to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this book in exchange for an honest review.
I received this ARC from NetGalley in trade for an honest opinion and reflection.

I was excited to read this book and it started off well with the first few pages but after that I just did not feel intrigued enough to continue reading. I did want to see the overall message though so I made it to the end. I cannot rate someone’s own life experience in comparison to mine as we are all unique. I firstly didn’t particularly feel anything from the short poems between letters and I felt they lack a little oomph. I did feel the heartache from her though and that her story is as important as everyone else’s. I think it was very short and could have been longer and I think with further analysis and more honest reflection this could be something truly special.

Final Rating: 2.5 stars!
Beautifully written a book of self discovery a child sent back to China in childhood to live with her grandparents .aGrown woman who discovers her mother sent her to live with her grandparents because she didn’t have time for her.Layers peeled away questions asked and answered a lyrical memoir that will stay with you, #netgalley#friesenpress.
SAVED AS DRAFT: STORIES OF SELF-DISCOVERY THROUGH LETTERS AND NOTES

BY N.D. CHAN

FRIESENPRESS

BIOGRAPHIES & MEMOIRS

PUB DATE 06 AUG 2019

I am reviewing a copy of Saved As Draft through FriesenPress and Netgalley:

N.D Chan was born in Chinatown New York but after her Father was murdered in a street shooting her Mother sent her to live with her Grandparents in Guangzhou China, where she would stay until her Mother got remarried but after she was remarried to a dentist and they became wealthy living in Long Island, N.D would find her Mother really didn’t have time for her.  When her Mother was busy and away she would go through her Mother’s drawers, hoping to get to know who her Mother had been.

This brief Books is a series of observations about who she is, and who her family is, it’s a very brief look into her self-discovery.

I gives Saved As Draft three out of five stars!
It is an enticing read. A biography written in a letter style. As a working mom myself, I feel some of the letter for/about her mom quite relevant for me. It's like reading about what I worry about and what I hope for.

The book is beautifully written and worth to read especially for coming of age reader.

Thank you netgalley and friesen press for providing the arc