Nine

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2019

Book 3 in Boyle Heights brings Nine and Drew's journey . Enjoyed the storyline and characters although read out of sequence.
Ebook from netgalley and publishers with thanks. Opinions are entirely my own.
I have read most of the books published by this author and tend to enjoy them. This one is probably my least favorite from her and from this series. I do look forward to the next book though.
An engaging dramatic suspense opposite attraction romance story. Strong description of the characters. Well written book, I liked reading, it's a pleasure to review. I received a free ARC copy of this book, am voluntarily leaving a review.
I would rate this more like a 3.5. A good read but one I felt has been overdone as of late unfortunately
An interesting read, very good girl meets bad boy type book. which it something I enjoy. The characters were pretty well developed and you felt like you got to know them and didn't want their story to end. I had not read any of the other books in the series, and I didn't get lost even though there was some reference to events that had happened in previous books. I will be going back and reading the previous books, and looking forward to the new ones coming out.
 I volunteered to read this book from Kobo Writing Life in exchange for my honest feedback, the thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
Very seldom did Drew go out and let her hair down and it turned out disastrously> While out she got a call from her daughter Chelsea was in the ER with a raging fever , then her friend Ali  almost got raped and Ali’s boyfriend Beast took matters into his own hands. Than the blinding reminder of the kind of guy -Nine- she used to fall for leaning against her car. He was epitome of her weakness: a dangerously smug tattooed bad bo, she had no business thinking about what he’d be like in bed. After making sure Ali is sok he went to have a cigarette as they weren’t allowed around her daughter. Drew was very spoken for and had no business even thinking about Nine in any other way. Contrary to the rest of his bad boy image his hair was impeccably groomed and styled. She could hardly believe she’d ever been into guys like Nine. She said she wanted to stop and see her daughter one last time and Nine found it hard to believe her man wouldn’t care. He mentioned white people were like that. He was hispanic . Drew’s father-Phoenix-  was gay and she didn’t say eating with Nine at almost one in the morning she didn’t believe Brad would be thrilled about. Than her car broke down. Nine refused to leave Drew until triple A showed up. When back in the car she was overwhelmed by Nine’s presence next to her and her nerve-alerting scent. Nine was curious why any guy would let a girl as hot as drew out of his sight. Drew said he was out of town on a business trip. Brad was a Sports Publicist. Drew asked Nine what his real name was and he said Rudy but few called him that. Drew said she had to remember whoever she got serious about will be part of chelsea’s life also. So Drew’s standards had risen. Drew had been very cautious. Very selective. Her requirements for a man was: she had to like their personality,she needed to like the guy. Their conversation should be entertaining. When the tow truck got there Drew asked Nine to call as soon as he something about Beast. Beast got out of the charges as the whole assault on Ali was on tape Beasts reaction to the assault on his girlfriend from a guy with a long rap sheet. Beast, Orlando-O, and Nine- who were roommates- bought an auto shop.With his career swing in boxing. Beast backed the shop financially more in the business but O  and Nine would run the shop until Beast  retired from boxing. Beast wanted them all to be full partners as he wouldn’t be there full time but he only planned on boxing a few years. Everytime Nine thought about drew he shook it off. He didn’t need to complicate his life. Drew and Nine may be opposites but they had a sizzling chemistry. Nine and Drew ran into each other with wedding stuff to do and attend. Drew sees a sweeter side to Nine. Nine realizes drew is easy to talk to. But they were both fighting the attraction. Things started to change for Nine and drew. But they can only be friends Drew still had Brad.But than  Drew  lies to Brad about Nine.  Than Nine and drew have a very intimate dance at Ali’s and Beasts wedding. Drew had to decide of she would end things with Brad and take a chance on Nine.  Drew than realizes her and Brad aren’t going to work out. It is so obvious to everyone what Nine and Drew share is more than friendship.
I loved this book and it was a great read. I loved how Drew brought out the good in Nine and made him want to be the best he could be for her. I loved the pace and the plot. I loved the closeness of Beast, Nine, and O. Also Ali and Drew. I also loved the relationship between Drew and Chelsea and how drew put her child first and what was best for that child. I loved how realistic I felt Drew’s character was especially as far as being a single mom and the men in her life. I loved Drew and Nine together and how they interacted together. I also loved Nine’s honesty. I felt there were realistic situations and problems in this book and how they were approached or handled. I really enjoyed Nine’s character. I loved the slow build of Nine and drew’s relationship than to more. Sometimes I choked up when reading this book. I loved the characters and the ins and out of this book and I highly recommend it.
This is not my first book from this author but it is the first book I've read in this series and it was a good read. Nine made me wish I had read the previous books so I would have been more familiar with the side characters because they also play a major part in this story and it made me feel as if I was missing some things when it came to them. There were things I liked and disliked about this story. I really hated Daniele's nickname Drew, but it was something I could deal with. The chemistry between Nine and Drew was there, there's no denying that and when it came to their story there was sort of a slow burn feeling to it. This story had it's sweet, funny and steamy moments and it was full of great characters but some parts of the story felt as if it moved too slow and some parts moved too fast, especially the ending. When the characters finally decided to commit to each other, we got a sweet epilogue and the story was over but I wished we had gotten a little more. It was a sweet but disappointing ending at the same time for me. This wasn't my favorite read from this author but it also wasn't a bad read. I would tell readers to give it a try and see for yourself.