Cover Image: The Friend Zone

The Friend Zone

Not a bad read, didn't love it but was entertaining.  I really enjoyed the characters and the storyline, even teh slow burn, just wished there had been some actual heat in the story
The Friend Zone is the first book in the End of the Line series by Sariah Wilson. I really like this author and this book wasn't an exception.
I love a good book about a football player, and this did not disappoint!  Logan is a college quarterback who dreams of the NFL.  He “screws up big time” and has to follow some simple rules in order to get his second chance.  Can he follow these rules and make it back?
Thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I’ve read many variations of this trope over the years but one thing that stood out was how the characters went about falling in love.

Logan and Jessica start their relationship as friends after Logan is recruited to the college where Jessica’s dad works as a football coach. Logan’s dreams have been to get drafted into the NFL after being born on the wrong side of the track and having little to nothing including food while growing up. Jessica on the other hand after going through something traumatic on her freshman year of college wants nothing to do with men and with her father’s rules of no man in his team dating... things get kinda complicated for our two main characters.

They soon learn though that staying friends when their are feelings involved is easier said than done in a lot of cases. When everything comes out into the open both Jessica and Logan have to decide if their love is worth potentially losing everything they’d worked so hard for.
Oh Sariah Wilson swept me away with this book! I love sport romances and she scores a touchdown with this story!

I voluntarily reviewed this book.
The Friend Zone

**received an ARC in exchange for an honest review**

4 ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

A great story about second chances and finding that one person who will believe in you no matter what.

Logan has one last chance to prove to everyone especially NFL that he is serious and not a liability. He is at End of the Line college and needs to make this work in order to move on, but will he be able to hold his temper in and follow the rules? When he meets Jess, he thinks maybe she can help him not only in school but also as a friend. The problem though, is as they are beginning to become close they are starting to have feelings for one another. But there is one huge problem, Jess is the coaches daughter and is off limits. Logan and Jess will have to figure out a way to either stay friends and Logan can stay on the team, or they can break the rules and put Logan’s future in jeopardy.
Quarterback Logan Hunt messed up at his previous school and is now at EOL college aka "End of the Line" to try to try to finish school and make a comeback. EOL has a lot of rules, no drinking, no partying and no relationships. Logan is all in until he meets Jess, the coach's daughter. We've all seen this "forbidden fruit" trope before, but the author makes this one a little different. Jess likes Ben, a broody loner. Logan helps her get his attention, but in the process he finds himself thinking of Jess as more than a friend. At a Halloween party, Logan comes as Batman and they kiss, with Jess thinking Logan is Ben. Jess soon realizes that she likes Logan a lot more than Ben, but it takes way too long. There is a lot of anticipation in Logan and Jess, but I also found most of their inner dialogue very immature. These are supposed to be college upperclassmen (early twenties), but the way they talked was as if they were 16 year old virgins. I'm glad they got together in the end, but the proposal seemed too soon.
Kind of cheesy, but sweet and cute. The characters were likable enough. Another book that was decent for a KU pick, but one I'm glad I didn't spend money on.
I struggled to get in to this book at first, but persevered to finish. I found the characters likable and it was an enjoyable story overall. A sweet story and a nice change to some of the romance style books out there.

I would recommend this book if you enjoy young adult romance which is light hearted.
I loved every minute of this book!! From Logan and Jess's first meeting to the very last sentence, I was engrossed in their story. I loved that Logan and Jess really got to know each other because of the "rules". Since they are not able to have a romantic entanglement or physical relationship but they want to be around each other, they really get to know each other on a deeper level. Despite both of their past traumas, they haven't lost their sense of humor and the banter is fantastic. I especially loved Logan's little nicknames for Ben! This has such a great cast of characters (I'm looking at you, Bash, and your creative swearing), a slow simmer romance and fantastic writing.
I didn't want this story to end.
Holy crap! This was one awesome read! This is my very first Sariah Wilson novel, and I will tell you this much right now. It will absolutely NOT be my last! This book had the perfect blend of amazingly chiseled characters, wit and sass, and an epic plot line!

I absolutely fell in love with Jess and Logan. Hands down, no doubt about it, head over heels. That sorta thing. Their characters were awesome. I loved the way they fought their attraction for each other. It really made those sparks fly off the pages! The banter that they share had me smiling so much! And, when they finally accept certain things…..well let’s just say it’s an unforgettable moment!

If you want a book that will have you turning the pages long into the night, and laughing your butt off throughout, then this 4 star novel is for you. It’s the first in Wilson’s End Of The Line series and I am looking forward to reading book 2! I am now a fan for life of Wilson’s and can’t wait to go back and read her other works. Great job!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley, Publisher, Montlake Romance and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.*
I’ve had a really tough time trying to get into this one. When I’m reading, my mind is wandering. I can’t connect with the characters. I might try again down the road, but for now it’s a DNF for me. Shame, too, because I had high hopes for this book.
I’ve never read a book by Sarah Wilson before so I figured why not start now. I loved this book. Cute concept with great characters and excitation. Really enjoyed it!
The title says it all. I really liked this story and was hooked from page 1 of this story. it had it all.
I really enjoyed this one. Jess and Logan had chemistry, but a relationship was forbidden. So, they did everything but "officially" date. I loved the way they got to know each other as friends. I loved Logan's Ben one-liners. I laughed way too much. Bash's psuedo-cursing made me giggle too. I could use some of his tips. This book was sweet and hilarious, and I loved it!
The Friend Zone is an adorable college romance featuring one reformed player who is at his last chance college and one football coach's daughter that has turned her life upside down after a trauma. I adored Logan and Jess!

I fell in love with both lead characters. There's Logan, the swoon-worthy quarterback who is determined to do more with his life than the dysfunctional parents who raised him. Logan is strong and ambitious and totally driven to achieve his goals, but he's also incredibly caring and sensitive, not to mention hilarious and totally gorgeous. He's not looking for love, only for redemption and the chance to fulfill his dreams, but then he meets Jess and realizes how much he needs someone to care about him. And then there's Jess, a woman who has survived both the death of her mother and a vicious attack and betrayal that sent her spiraling into an identity crises. She hides behind her trust issues and overprotective father as an excuse not to put herself out there. That is, until Logan Hunt comes along and she finds her heart healing and her ability to trust and open up to someone returning.

The romantic tension in this story was through the roof- how could it not be when two people wanted to be together and yet couldn’t? The plot was good, with two people becoming friends and fighting to stay that way when they both want to be more. I loved the author’s way of switching first person perspective between Jess and Logan. It brought the book to life, especially with the skill the author had in writing from a girl’s AND boy’s perspective.
“The Friend Zone” is about second chances, but not in a romantic way. It’s about disgraced but talented football players who were kicked out of their Division 1 schools and stripped of their sports scholarships.

College quarterback Logan Hunt was one of them. A huge mistake cost him everything and that was the reason why he found himself in Seattle’s little known EOL college under the mentorship of Coach Stan Oakley who was willing to give him and bunch of other misfits like him a second chance for football greatness.

But, there is a cost… or to be exact, a long list of rules – no drinking, no drugs, no swearing, maintain your GPA and many more. And the hardest of all, no dating!

That was okay for Logan. He was serious about getting his degree and playing football, i.e., until he met Jess Oakley, math whiz and his math tutor. Notice the last name? Yes, Jess is Coach Oakley’s daughter. Ah, what a conundrum.

Though classified as a romance, “The Friend Zone” is actually a coming of age story. Both Logan Hunt and Jess Oakley have to make peace with the pasts so that they can face their future. To use an old saying, “one step back, two steps forward,” because that was the only way they can reach true adulthood.

The topic is actually very serious, but it does not mean that “The Friend Zone” did not have those laugh out loud funny moments. Author Sariah Wilson has a wicked sense of humor and great in one liner puns. My favorite, when Logan and Jess saw a middle age couple kissing, Logan said, “Talk about Fifty Shades of Gray” an obvious pun to the infamous book wherein the last word is spelled “Grey.”

Puns aside, there are a lot of clever lines in the book. If Sariah Wilson tires of being a novelist, she can write jokes for one of the late night talk shows.

“The Friend Zone” is a leisurely read that will tug at your heartstrings. All the characters, from the lead to the supporting ones are three-dimensional complete with back stories. This book should on your To Be Read list.

“The Friend Zone” is Rated T for Teens. There are no sex scenes. Parental guidance is strongly advised due to some adult situations.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for this book! First book by this author, and I really enjoyed it. Good writing, college romance, slow burn, with enough depth to keep me hooked from start to finish. I really recommend this one!
I've read this author before and have enjoyed the wit and honesty in her books, but this one felt a little off for me.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy the book, just that I wanted there to be more to it.

There was plenty of tension and healing found in this book, but I thought that the deception angles went a bit too far for me.  Jess and Logan were good characters, fairly easy to relate to, but slightly difficult to connect with enough to care about them.  The book felt more like a high school romance, rather than an actual college/new adult one.

While this one missed the mark for me, it hasn't lessened my enjoyment of the author's writing.  I'd be interested in seeing where she goes from here.