Cover Image: Lie With Me

Lie With Me

A devastating novel full of love. Not a word is misplaced. The prose is gorgeous. I never wanted to leave these characters. A modern day masterpiece that left me longing for more.
A beautiful novel, filled with a quiet power. It only took me a couple of hours to read, but it is a story which will stay with me for a long time.
This is work of 'autofiction' is based on an experience that Call Me By Your Name author, Philippe Besson, had in his youth. Like a lot of queer film fans, I read it simply because I was still all over-hyped on the aforementioned film. This book covers similar territory, being focused around the longing of youth, but it is an entirely different story. No fruit was Hammered in the making of this story. This tale is a little less bittersweet and a bit more tragic, making it more realistic I think. It's definitely a wistful story that will appeal to queers aged 30+ as it takes a long, transportive look back at how much your formative years shape you. For additional campy points, the book was translated from French by Molly Ringwald.
Lie With Me is gorgeous, aching love story of young desire, struggle between freedom and fear, but also the disappearing youth and changes that growing up brings. In the setting of rural France in the 1980s, a fragile and forbidden relationship blooms between Philippe and Thomas. Besson tells the love story in lyrical language, with magnificent flow that makes reader live the moment with the boys. Absolutely unforgettable, Philippe and Thomas's story will stay with me for a long time. I barely have words to describe the novel, it is one of those best experienced by just reading it. I highly recommend it, it has been some time since I have read anything as aching and beautiful as Lie With Me.

Besides reading the book, I listened the audiobook and I highly recommend it; it is amazing, the narrator nails the feelings and the flow of this hauntingly beautiful novel.
Who wouldn't love this book!?  The characters make you feel you are part of their lives, you experience their highs and lows just as you would in your own lives with the hope that the ending would turn out well for them, after all a love story always does doesn't it? Set in wonderful Bordeaux this is a fabulous book, humorous, poignant and a true reflection of modern life.  A great read - highly recommended.
A moving love story. It meandered slightly in the middle, but it was worthwhile. The character felt vivid, and his story heart-felt.

The translation was also excellent, and by Molly Ringwald no less!
We need more books like this. Books about LGBTQ+ people that are so heart-achingly romantic and beautiful that you cannot help but be consumed by it. I have never read a book by Philippe Besson before, and I am so glad I started with this one. The romance between the two boys is almost palpable, and when ti ends abruptly it felt as if I had had the rug pulled from underneath me. It comes back to haunt the protagonists many years down the line. Living a lie leads to some very intense consequences.
This book blew me away.
Beautiful short novel of love and a lost time. I really enjoyed this book and it pulled at my heart strings hugely!
Enjoyed the book. I found the plot really good and really enjoyed it. I also found the characters really interesting. Thank you netgalley for the chance to read this in return for a review.
This book was so beautifully written and I absolutely loved it. It was so powerful, I didn't want it to end and still feel very sad. I felt like I knew the characters so well and it was so captivating I couldn't put it down.
I definitely recommend this book.
My thanks to NetGalley for my free copy.
This novella starts by telling the story of two boys who develop a clandestine relationship, the difficulty is it's in 1984 and the world is not accepting as it is now and they decide to hide their relationship. Philippe is aware of his sexuality and accepts his choice although does not declare it, Thomas on the otherhand struggles to accept himself and lives a dual life.
It continues years later when Philippe, as an established author, has a chance encouter with Thomas' son and Philippe has the chance of discovering what happened to his lover.
I really enjoyed this story but you know from the outset that the ending is going to be painful. It is beautifully written and keeps the reader enthralled regardless of how you feel about the characters involved.
This was an interesting story translated from the French Edition, about the love of two teenage boys with all the attendant fears. Delightfully written story.
Such a sad little novel, tender, haunting, a tale of love, loss and longing that I found very touching. It’s the story of the love between two French adolescent boys who meet at school, a love that never leaves them in spite of their divergent adult lives. Spare prose, with not a word wasted or out of place, expertly paced and with deep compassion for his luckless characters, this is a book that will stay with me for a long time.
‘Lie With Me’ is a novella of real depth and emotional honesty.  Set in France, it’s a story of adolescent love, recounted after several decades by Philippe, the son of the local head teacher and now a respected author.  So far, so predictable, one might think: the beautiful countryside, the tensions at social gatherings, the glances in the playground at school, the nod to 80s culture.  However, this love story is unusual in that it’s about two boys, very different in their aspirations but unequivocally drawn to each other.
However, theirs is a secret affair.  Whilst Philippe’s peers have their suspicions and he suffers from homophobic bullying, Thomas, a farmer’s son, is popular with the girls and a well-liked ‘copain’ amongst his group of friends.  And, yet, it is Thomas who initiates their relationship and lays down the terms in which it is to be conducted.
The reader might expect that the climax of the story will be when the liaison is discovered – but it never is.  What Philippe Besson gives us is a far more poignant and important idea: if you don’t live your true life, your secret will destroy you.  We learn that taciturn Thomas spends decades living in turmoil, repeating mistakes and yet stuck in a mire of his own making.  In the conservative countryside, he finds it impossible to own his sexuality.
All of this story is told through Philippe after he meets Thomas’ son.  Besson’s skill in ensuring that we understand not only the narrator but also the lover from long ago, both as a boy and a man, is remarkable.  It is a beautifully written quiet tragedy, made all the more unbearable because nothing can make up for the suffering of the past.
My thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for a copy of this novel in exchange for a fair review.
Short, sweet, beautifully written and totally heartbreaking. The tears are still flowing. I didn’t feel like  this was a story, it felt so real and written from the heart as if I  was being told something personally.
An evocative and sensual tale of first love, reminiscent of Call Me By Your Name (to which is has been widely compared) and The Lover by Marguerite Duras. I found the style somewhat mannered, but nevertheless enjoyable.
Beautifully written and superb characterisation, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Recommended for when you want to lose yourself for a few hours. I will look for more by this author in the future.
I felt that this story was one that the author needed to get off of his chest rather than one that others need to read. The descriptions and story telling a brilliant, but the content wasn't interesting enough for me.

I felt for Thomas, the fact that he was never happy with who he was even at the end.
A story of first love between two boys, set in France.  It's beautifully written despite feeling (in my view) somewhat dated. What it does convey is the suffering inflicted by the isolation arising from the attitude of society at the time towards homosexual relationships. The awards for this book are well deserved.
I wasn’t sure about this at first but it really grew on me as the story progressed. Definitely worth a read.
A hauntingly beautiful story of love, loss, life and sexuality for two young men fighting to keep their relationship hidden for fear of the homophobic backlash.