Cover Image: Lie With Me

Lie With Me

I wasn’t sure about this at first but it really grew on me as the story progressed. Definitely worth a read.
A hauntingly beautiful story of love, loss, life and sexuality for two young men fighting to keep their relationship hidden for fear of the homophobic backlash.
A beautiful but sad story that deals with love, life, sexuality, loss betrayal and homophobia. It is a short book yet it has power behind it,
Thank you to both NetGalley and Penguin Books for my eARC of this book
"Lie with Me" is a short novel translated from the French by Molly Ringwald. Philippe, the narrator, is a successful author with a biography and career identical to the that of the author. The novel opens in 2007 when Philippe breaks away from an interview on seeing a young man who looks exactly like his first love, a fellow pupil from his schooldays, Thomas Andrieu. The action then shifts to 1984 and the nowhere town of Besson's teenage years, a place where nothing happens and from which it is hard to escape. Besson successfully conveys the claustrophobia of the narrator's teenage years, his sense of difference (his snobbish description of a family wedding is excruciating), and the electrifying effect of his relationship with Thomas. However, overall, the book felt rather flat and slight and towards the end I found it difficult to remain engaged.
A beautifully-written book.  I found it rather short, and slightly insubstantial, but it would make a very enjoyable holiday read.
A very simple story of love and loss.  A bit too short to be be absorbing, and not really much story to it - maybe something was lost in translation?
A poignant novella of teenage love and loss

A beautifully written novella, translated from French by the American actress Molly Ringwald. The story is one we can all connect with, first love and with that, the first heartbreak and loss, felt all the more keenly on the cusp of adulthood.

The title has been translated as Lie with Me, instead of the original Stop With Your Lies, but the English title is a clever play on words. The two young men in the story keep their love affair hidden as they maintain the facade that they barely know one another, and this adds to the element of secrecy and deception.

Philippe and Thomas meet in secret, discovering a passion that ignites a short-lived affair that shapes the rest of their lives. Philippe and Thomas lose contact with one another, but a twist of fate brings the past crashing into the present when Philippe encounters a young man that resembles Thomas to an uncanny degree. Philippe discovers the tragic truth about Thomas and the secrets that he carried for years as he lived a lie and never acknowledged his true self.

The story reflects their youth, to a time when they both discover that they share deep feelings for one another but chose never to disclose these to their family and friends. This decision shapes the rest of their lives.

A must-read, a coming of age story that lingers long after the last word has been read.

Gillian

Breakaway Reviewers received a copy of this book to review
A lovely, heartfelt story of true love, translated in style without losing its power. Very worthy read for any one with a heart!

It is too short in my opinion, so don't rush it.
A beautifully written book which flashes back and forward in two periods of the protagonists life. I enjoyed the way the story unfolded to enable me to try to guess what was happening and also how the relationships evolved.

Thanks for allowing me to review this book
My only criticism of this novel is that it’s too short. I was completely swept away by the flashbacks and the budding relationship the narrator describes and barely put it down as I hoped for a happy ending.
Lie with me is a very gentle and very sad novella.  The style of writing feels somewhat old fashioned and it’s very descriptive without dialogue, which makes it, for me, somewhat boring.  I didn’t really enjoy reading about the love making between two men, which was a little too vivid for my liking, but essentially it is a tragic love story, which I’m sure many will enjoy.
I don't understand the hype about this book. I found it boring and one dimensional. It lacked dialogue amongst the main characters. Despite it being a short read, it took me weeks to get through this book.
Lie With Me is a bittersweet reflection of first love. Philippe and Thomas become lovers in 1984 at a time and place where they could never be free to show their love openly. How unbearable it must have been to have to hide their happiness, 'we're left stunted, compromised, by the burden of having to always lie and censor ourselves'.

They spend as many stolen moments as they can together but as life leads them onto different paths they part without recrimination, just a weary sense of resignation.

Almost twenty years later, Philippe is a successful author being interviewed about his latest book when he catches a glimpse of his beloved Thomas...'it's almost him. The resemblance is uncanny'. The man is in fact Lucas, Thomas's son. Lucas and Philippe stay in contact and in 2016 meet again where Lucas reveals some tragic news and gives Philippe a letter written by his father back in 1984:

'It was love, of course...I just wanted to write to tell you...that I have never been so happy, and that I already know I will never be so happy again'.

Lie With Me is beautiful, haunting, and thought-provoking. I adored it.
I found this really boring and over descriptive. I don’t know if it was lost in translation but I just did not enjoy it and gave up very early on.
Thanks to the publisher for granting my request. Reminiscent of Call Me By Your Name. The last quarter is a real gut-punch. Made me cry whilst on holiday by the pool!
Lie With Me is a heartbreaking true story of hidden love and loss. A quick read that you will remember for a long time. 3.5*
A story, maybe autobiographical that shows how a decision taken can change the life of two boys completely. Love does not always run smooth but is never forgotten. Time passes but emotions remain in the memory forever. Boys grow up to become men but the mind stays back in their youth.
Very enjoyable and thought provoking, sad but joyous that at least they had a time together neither ever forgot
A beautiful coming of age story about two gay seventeen year olds in France during the 1980s. The story is told from Philippe's recollection as an older man reminiscing. It was a raw reminder of how painful teenage love can be. The damning realization love has on the heart and soul, not to mention rational thought.

Thomas, it seems, knew the affair would be short-lived "You will go, and we will stay." He knew Philippe was meant for bigger things.

The story is rich and vibrant. And the end was all the more poignant for the journey the author had took the reader on.
An excellent read.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Thank you so much the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a complimentary electronic copy in return for an honest review.
What a beautiful and heartbreaking exploration of first love this is. The book is broken into three parts; part one remembers the relationship between Philippe and Thomas in 1984 as high school students coming to terms with their sexuality and their intense feelings for one another while also keeping their relationship secret. As a historical piece, I found it really evocative of the eighties and I thought the conversation about the AIDS crisis was really well done. As an exploration of a relationship it was beautiful and touching, but there were a couple of places that I felt it was a little repetitive. The latter two parts follow Philippe as he encounters someone to connect him to his past and I found these parts simply stunning in their simplicity and poignancy. It is impossible to read this novel without a sense of nostalgia for the ferocity of our teenage loves and Besson has captured the angst of youth beautifully. This achieves an awful lot in a scant few pages and I really loved it.
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Philippe has never forgotten his first love, Thomas. When he meets his son, he remembers their time together and learns of Thomas' life afterwards .  An interesting book with an  unusual, enjoyable theme.