The Dictionary of Difficult Words

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 May 2019

For the most part - I absolutely adored this book! The illustrations are amazing, creative and a lot of fun. The words chosen for this dictionary are inspiring. You can open the book at a random page, read just one word and be inspired to create a thousand things or simply dream about the word.

The definitions however... they need some work. Some word I still did not know even after reading the definition...
The Dictionary of Difficult Words by Jane Solomon teaches young logophiles how to work out what new words mean and how to say them. There are 400 fun words to improve vocabulary. Each has a pronunciation and definition. Many of the words have cute little illustrations, and some get larger extra illustrations that further explain the definition. These are bubbled in colour. Some of my fave included bellwether, Clowder, defenestrate, frabjous, kakistocracy, petrichor, and thigmotropism. I was quite impressed with the breadth of the words collected here! My cubs also read this and most enjoyed it. Others are less interested in language. Haha.

***Many thanks to Netgalley and Quarto Publishing for providing an egalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This is actually relevant to a project I want to do in the library in the coming school year. Definitely need to see about getting a copy!

First of all, this book is lavishly illustrated. I LOVE good illustrations, and you can expect a full page spread for each letter of the alphabet. It's such a delightful and creative dictionary!

Now, it doesn't have every word ever. It's not that kind of dictionary. Rather, it introduces kids to a handful of fancier words, ones that they can use in everyday conversations. Definitions are concise and easy to understand, and usually provide an example of how to use the word. My only complaint is that there aren't more words, but hey that could be a whole 'nother book!
The Dictionary of Difficult Words: With More Than 400 Perplexing Words to Test your Wits! was written by Jane Solomon and illustrated by Louise Lockhart. ​What is a bumbershoot? Or a moonbow? And what does it mean when someone absquatulates? Find out all this and more in the Dictionary of Difficult Words. Test your knowledge with more than 400 words to amaze, confuse, and inspire budding wordsmiths (and adults). All of the words featured in this book are difficult to spell, hard to say, and their meanings are obscure to most children (and most adults)! Written with simple, easy-to-understand definitions by lexicographer Jane Solomon, this dictionary celebrates the beauty of the English language for family trivia time spent around the printed page.

The Dictionary of Difficult Words is a fun, educational, and useful book for all ages. I love that the book starts off explaining the various ways readers can explore and enjoy the book. In the beginning there are also great explanations about kinds of words and how to decode intimidating words and how to pronounce them. These are things that will always be helpful, even if I know I mentally mispronounce things all the time- especially if I have only read them and never heard them spoken. I love the words that were chosen for this book. Some are adjectives and adverbs that are used sparingly, but are just great words. Some are just fun to say, like bumbershoot (which I proudly already knew the definition for). I learned a few new words, and am trying to figure out how to use bildungsroman instead of coming of age tale in a book review without sounding pretentious.  The artwork is fun and adds extra layers of understanding, fun, and style to the book.

The Dictionary of Difficult Words is a great book to have in home, school, and public libraries. It can help teach the use and functionality of dictionaries, and get readers to broaden their personal vocabulary in fun ways. This book is a win all around, and I think I need to add it to my personal collection.
I received this e-book ARC of The Dictionary of Difficult Words through Net Galley from Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Children's Books in exchange for a truthful review.

This book is FRABJOUS! I think the ARC I received included only about half of the pages, but I would definitely seek out this book for purchase. The layout was fun and engaging with pronunciations and interesting graphics accompanying the difficult words.

I also enjoyed the end notes which explained the use/history of THEY as a singular pronoun and also the discussion on how ALL words are real.
This was fun to read. I think that this is a great resource for writers that want to learn a more diverse knowledge of words. Thank  you NetGalley for allowing me to read this book.
This was a beautifully illustrated book that would make anyone interested in learning something new. I loved the challenge of trying to describe the words before reading the definition.
The Dictionary of Difficult Words is a fun, colorful resource. It begins with explaining in a fun way what a dictionary is, and then how to use the book (really, any way you wish!), and then gives a brief overview of parts of speech, and figuring out what some words mean without the definition next to it. This presents difficult words in a fun, approachable way that isn't as intimidating as, say, a Webster's dictionary. Illustrations are used throughout to help illustrate some of the words. Each letter of the alphabet has about two pages worth of words and illustrations. Some words seem everyday or common (like void), and others I learned from this book (like uliginous).

The whole thing is wonderful.
Frances Lincoln Children's Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The Dictionary of Difficult Words.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Although the formatting of the book gives readers the impression that this is a children's book, adults will also benefit from this dictionary of SAT type words.  Parents will enjoy learning along with their children, especially as the author has included the parts of speech and the phonetic spelling.  Besides including small drawings for many of the words, the author has chosen to highlight some with full page whimsical representations.

The author has included some helpful information at the beginning of the book, giving tips to the successful reading of this book, explanations of parts of speech, and hints about determining the meaning of certain words.  The presentation of the words is brilliantly designed to not cause anxiety over learning something that may be considered as difficult.  I would definitely recommend The Dictionary of Difficult Words to parents, educators, and children alike.
The dictionary is the most underutilized resource in the English classroom. The Dictionary of Difficult Words, however, is definitely one dictionary that is sure to be picked up countless times with enthusiasm by students from middle grade to high school.

From the first page, I was invested. Not only does it include some pretty interesting words but it also includes some educational notes on suffixes and parts of speech. There were a few words (for example xylophone and knack) that seemed out of place amongst the more difficult and intriguing words that ranged from bailiwick and ennui to schadenfreude and whippersnapper.

Overall, this is one book that I would not only list as a classroom must have but also as a must read for children and adults.
An illustrated dictionary of words that you are likely to come across in books and poems from 100+ years ago that are still popular, science books, mythology, history, the SAT, and other very random places.

This is a fantastic resource not only for the curious kid or adult, but also for those reading classic literature, high schoolers studying for the SAT, those aiming to build their vocabulary, and general word lovers. I consider myself pretty well-read, I like old classics, I’ve taught science, I taught crazy vocabulary to students preparing for the SAT (before the most recent revisions to cut down on the crazy vocabulary), and there were still several words in here I had never come across before. There are several that I now want to start using in conversations and writing (For example, ‘Excuse me while I darkle my phone screen.’ ‘I come from a family of ailurophiles.’ ‘That was a ridiculously gonzo news story.’ ‘I have to renew my teaching license every quinquennium.’) And I like that it is just 100 pages so it isn’t overwhelming. Readers of all ages can benefit from this book whether as a resource to have on hand or something to sit down and read in bits and pieces or straight through. Definitely getting a copy for both our Elementary and Secondary libraries. Highly recommended.

I received an ARC of this title from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book is fun for both young and old.
It would be a great way to get kinds interested in reading and in the English language.
I liked the drawings and think this would be a fun and funny interactive read for kids.
This book is the #1 new release in children's dictionaries on Amazon.  The cover itself is a sight to behold and very classy.  It is a large hardback with an embossed title and beautiful texture.  The illustrations are kid-friendly and fun.  Each page displays multiple drawings or collages that adds much interest to the reader. Lists of words from A to Z are  brilliantly presented by lexicographer Jane Solomon.

Kids will love and appreciate the science, nature, feelings, emotions and language words that adorn the book.  More than 400 difficult words to pronounce and spell are documented with easy to understand meanings that will intrigue both the young and the old alike.  I know I bumped into many that I was not familiar with.

This delightful book should not only be in every home but in every classroom and library.  It would make a perfect year-end gift to give to a teacher.   It truly is a celebration of words and our amazing language.  Who knew learning big words could be so much fun?   I highly, highly recommend this book.
This is a great dictionary of interesting words. Some of the words are obscure, but I could see a older elementary student enjoy reading this cover to cover. I definitely want to add this to my classroom.
As a teacher of gifted learners, this book was PERFECT! We are always challenged to find them new vocabulary words and encourage them to grow their language abilities. The Dictionary of Difficult Words will be perfect for our word-a-day moments and for those children who just love words. I already ordered it!
A beautifully illustrated graphic novel that was able to combine a compelling narrative with excellent illustrations and character arcs.
I very much wish that The Dictionary of Difficult Words by Jane Solomon was around when I was a child. You see, when I was a kid I just flipped to random pages in the dictionary and wrote down the ones that I found interesting and a part of me feels as though I would have found many more useful ones if I'd had books like this that had already picked out some of the better words to begin with. As an adult, I have to admit, I had a lot of fun reading this book. Frankly, I don't think this book is one that only benefits children. And that, I think, is one of the best things about it.

The Dictionary of Difficult Words is almost just as it sounds, but I feel it might be more accurate to call it the dictionary of interesting and often unused words. Of course, that title might be a bit too lengthy. And while I did know quite a few of these words, I was over the moon thrilled to learn a few new ones whilst reading this. I can say if I had a child of my own, I would probably have already bought myself a copy of this book. It has a lot of merit, I think, in getting children interested in new words in ways that might not have cropped up before. I mean, not every kid in the world is going to be like me and actually pick up one of those ridiculously heavy dictionaries to read on their own free time.

But this one, with the colorful illustrations and the brilliant manner in which the words are presented, could be pretty grabbing for quite a few kids. The truth is that I have a lot of respect and love for this book. At the end of it all, I know I'd really like to see it on a lot of shelves in the future. It will definitely end up on mine someday.

I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
The Dictionary of Difficult Words is for incurably curious. Come and join our secret lexicophile club. Some of these words are not that rare ('penultimate' and 'zilch' to give a few examples), they are just difficult to spell or pronounce, and others are hard to explain and tricky to use correctly.  Luckily, this dictionary has easy-to-understand definitions and fun illustrations to help both adults and children discover and remember these quirky word gems.
This book would make a great addition to a school library or a family bookshelf.
Thank you to NetGalley and Frances Lincoln Children's Books (Quarto Publishing Group) for the DRC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
Jane Solomon has delighted me with this fantastic and beautifully illustrated children’s dictionary.

“The Dictionary of Difficult Words” is brimming with fun, useful, obsolescent, and weird words. Some of my favourites are:

Blatherskite – a person who talks a lot, but says things that are meaningless or foolish.
Clowder – a group of cats.
Sesquipidalian – someone who knows lots of big words and enjoys using them.

I like learning new words, and it’s even better if the word is more obscure. That is why “The Dictionary of Difficult Words” caught my attention, as I wanted to see the additions I could find to broaden my vocabulary.

I loved this book and I learned so much from it. It was well written and an awesome book on which to build a child's vocabulary whilst having a laugh with words at the same time! The illustrations were very quaint and this would be a great book for a parent and child to enjoy together.

I rated this book with five stars but as I try to use emojis other than stars, let's give it a clowder.

😺🙀😼😻😾

I highly recommend this wonderful book!

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Quarto Publishing via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
A lovely resource for any parent or teacher to have, to help children with their reading. Would recommend to all.