Cover Image: Lords of Deception

Lords of Deception

Unreadable

I simply could not read this. If it were a later book in a long series I might think that the problem is that I did not know enough about the world being discussed. But this is a debut.

Especially in the early chapters, Mr. Fuchs conveys nearly every single thing through dialog between people we don't know, about things we know nothing about. There is almost no factual scene setting, no political background, and very little that established the relationship between characters. And for some reason I found people's names irritating. This book was not for me.
This book (I had an ARC) was really well written - I enjoyed it a lot. It describes a crumbling kingdom on the brink of war with its neighbours, as the nobles beneath the king jockey for position and shadowy powers scheme to bring everything crashing down. The narration rotates through the characters with each chapter (a bit like the style of Game of Thrones) and cleverly reveals the plot as this characters experience it. The story is pacy and I found it hard to put down. Can’t wait for book two.
You can get bad books, average books, good books and then there are books you wish you could wipe from your memory so that you can relive the experience of reading it for the first time again.  This is one of those books!

Lords of Deception – An Earthpillar Novel is set in a medieval fantasy setting with a weak king and nobles struggle to remain loyal.  The chapters are given in characters points of views, which as always helps the reader get a better understanding and connection.  The plot is unique and moves at a great pace, (can't say more without giving away spoilers), the characters themselves are fascinating and relatable.  It is refreshing to get a book in which you have a warrior scholar in the one vessel as I'm used to so many books having either one or the other.  I cant wait till the next installment, and this series is my new obsession..  Christopher C. Fuchs.....write faster!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher Loremark Publishing for this electronic advanced readers copy of this novel in return for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.
This tale was quite intriguing. It's been a while since I've read a medieval-like high fantasy novel. I also liked the idea of Arasemis being a warrior-scholar. Usually, a character is designed to be one or the other. I found all the characters to be intriguing and I loved that it jumped from one character to another. I prefer to be able to capture the story from multiple perspectives, so I love being able to follow different characters!
I really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the sequel.   Characters are well developed and plot moves quickly.   The plot was unique.