Rosalind

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Jun 2019

It took me a while to get into this story as it was written from the male perspective and thinking which was initially confusing for me.  I have read stories written this way before so this was surprising, however I persevered and was glad. The prose improved in style and content and I began to understand the author’s mindset. And it clicked. I saw the rationale for his behaviours as his explanations became clear, and it was in truth a real love story.
This book is an odd combination of parts. It is told from the perspective of a male doctor who doesn't have much of a life outside of the hospital until he meets Rosalind, a good friend of one of his patients. He becomes nearly instantly obsessed by her, even following her out of the hospital one afternoon while she goes about her errands. Interestingly, while Rosalind is initially upset when she catches him, she feels something between them, too. The middle section of the book details, with some degree of sensuality, their budding relationship. A surprise twist takes the latter half of the book in a completely different direction.

I thought the pacing of this book was uneven. It's relatively short, so too much time seemed to have been spent detailing the doctor’s obsession, even to the point of distraction while he was working. In one scene, or was it two, that I found a little icky as someone who has been a nurse in a hospital, the doctor closed and locked his office door so he could fantasize and—shall we say—act on his thoughts while alone. The sensual aspects of the book were actually written in a way that turned me off completely. I'm not sure why. Rosalind herself was a bit of an enigma to the hero, but we slowly learned more about her. I didn't particularly like these characters, and I found parts of the plot just to be too slow moving or off-putting to keep me interested.
The author wrote a beautiful story, but it was ruined, in my opinion, with all of the clinical language.  The story would have flowed a lot better and been more enjoyable without the clinical language.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of Rosalind from NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This was a decent book.  It was definitely different, but I liked the characters and most of the storyline.  I believe it ended abruptly, however.  (I am not sure why "Rosalind" became the title.  I guess maybe she is the heroine in a way.)  The main character is a little unusual in a weird and off-the-deep-end kind of way.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
ROSALIND is a short, sweet story about emotions and life. The relationship between the main characters is heady and absorbing without being overly saccharine. I enjoyed reading about Peter and Rosalind so much that the ending really shocked me and made me think what I would do if I were in that position. The way the author presented the twist made it so much more anguishing than if she had done a great deal of foreshadowing. The book is so short that there isn’t much room for a lengthy buildup, but that is one of the more endearing qualities of ROSALIND.
The only fault I found with the book, necessary though it was to keep the plot captivating, was the fact that both Peter and Rosalind were two gorgeous, rich people with no care in the world. There were never any money issues, or instances of self-doubt (save in the beginning when Peter looks at himself with a critical eye as Rosalind goes off to the gym). The perfection was almost too perfect. However, perhaps that is what the author intended, to make the ending hit harder. If the characters had other struggles in their life, I may have thought the plot twist was par for the course. However, this could be a way of saying that despite money and looks, you never know what life is going to throw at you.
ROSALIND is a quick read with likeable characters and a thought-provoking ending.
Dr. Peter Sutter, a famous heart surgeon lives an orderly albeit lonely life since he separated from his wife. Uncharacteristically does he become fascinated with a woman who is visiting one of his patients. He follows her and she agrees to dinner. They fall in love and everything would be fine till a diagnosis is threatening their happiness. While the character of Dr. Sutter is well developed Rosalind remains an enigma, why does she change her mind after he finds him initially old and creepy? What does Rosalind get out of the relationship? Many questions remain after reading this story. It was a satisfying read with some problems.
I want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for this arc in return for my honest review.

This was a well worth read, it had me engaged from the start to the end.

Please take the time and put this on your reading list, it will not disappoint.
Great short book. I was invested in the story, and the characters from the first sentence. My only regret was it ended too soon. I look forward to following this author. A 5 star read.
The novella opens on the routine activities of Peter, a cardiologist and respected surgeon. During his daily rounds, he meets Rosalind: tall, beautiful, and an instant catalyst in Peter’s otherwise mundane life. This title is surprising in every way, with a genre that borders erotica, romance, and domestic suspense, without quite inhabiting these fields entirely. I found the writing incredibly beautiful in some parts, a bit choppy in others. The transitions were a bit abrupt, meaning that some of the critical plot points came out of left field. Where can the root of the chemistry between Peter and Rosalind be traced to? Why does Peter’s ex-wife Laura retain a critical role in the plot? While I found some transitions and character developments stiff, I can recognize the undeniable chemistry between Rosalind and Peter by the end of the book. Rosalind’s past in particular is extremely moving, and the last pages of the book had me justifying the time I spent questioning the preceding sections of the book. I recommend this book for those feeling aimless in their reading queue, for those who enjoy Ruth Ware but want a love story on a par with Meg Wolitzer.
Thank you, NetGalley and Plimsoll Press, for approving my reading of this title!
Dr. Peter Sutter is a top heart surgeon and he approaches life like the scientific clinician he is. Outside the hospital setting, he observes people as if he were doing an initial medical examination. He notes their height, weight, ancestry, and overall health. The only being he is somewhat close to is his golden retriever Genevieve. He lives alone; he has already divorced the first wife.

And then someone magical and colorful appears in his life. Rosalind. She is as entrancing as the cover of this witty, clever book. She is the elixir he’s been waiting for and he pursues her. Unlike him, Rosalind has lived and has felt joy and deep sorrow. Does she change him? We don’t know until the last few pages. Can they face what’s coming?

This spare and sophisticated book is a joy to read- such well-crafted characters. In some ways, I wanted this book to be longer, to spend more time with Peter and Rosalind. But the author’s spare language made this a remarkable fairy tale about two grown-ups in love in today’s world. This gourmet appetizer may not suit every palate, but I savored every page.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and BooksGoSocial for a digital review copy. This is my honest review.
Dr Peter Sutter, a renowned surgeon, meets the elegant Rosalind and immediately becomes fascinated with her, so fascinated that he starts following her. Not an auspicious start to a love affair and one imagines that in real life, especially in the current climate, this guy would be given short shrift.

It's basically the story of their love affair and the reader discovers more about each character as they do which draws us in and suspends our disbelief.

But it ends very abruptly which felt very like a real shock given how much time the author spent carefully developing our emotional investment in this romance. I felt it was the start of a great book but the author ripped me from my complacency by suddenly ending it which was disappointing.
I really enjoyed this (short) book, and wish it had been longer. Although the way that the two main characters met is a tad on the creepy side, if one can put that to one side and just think of it as “romantic” it makes the story better!

Some reviewers complain about the language used as too complex or complicated. In my opinion it’s nice not to be treated like an idiot! If a world-class surgeon (the narrator) had started using simplistic terminology, it would not have rung true. Perhaps we could have had more character development, but equally, I didn’t feel there were details I was missing: it was, after all, a novella, rather than a novel. Sufficient detail was given to make the characters believable (in my opinion, though not in the opinion of other reviewers!) and likeable (ditto)

The ending hit me like a ton of bricks – unexpected, neatly “twisted” so that even when it came, there was another shock behind it. It also had a definite ring of truth about it. Believe me, I know.

4 stars. No question.
Judith Deborah so moved me with Rosalind. I appreciate her skill at character development.  Ms Deborah's characters are layered and complex.  I loved spending time (mot enough time actually, it seemed short) with this novel, this beautiful, unpredictable love story.  I definitely experienced emotion while reading, and based upon this reading experience I will be seeking out Judith Deborah's backlist!
I received my copy through NetGalley under no obligation.
I really wanted to like this book, but try as I might, I could not get into it, and therefore did not finish. The characters are not well developed enough for me to find them believable.
Rosalind captures the heart and draws the tears. Ms. Deborah writes with passion and empathy and hits the reader with unexpected twists that keep you engaged. The story reads quickly while drawing out a variety of emotions. Many stories and characters fade from memory; Rosalind will remain.
Rosalind and surgeon Dr Peter Sutter, fall for one another in a heartbeat and Judith Deborah has the reader right on board. How I wanted them to connect; how I hoped their relationship would progress beyond physical desire; how I loved their love. I laughed; I cried; I was incensed by the intrusion and boldness of the ex-wife. It is true that I was also surprised (and perhaps despondent?) at said ex's involvement in the pinnacle moment of the tale, however, all is forgiven.
     A romance for the thinking reader: I whole-heartedly disagree with other reviewers criticism of Deborah's use of the wider English vocabulary. How refreshing to have a romance that is not only suited to lying half-cut in a fluorescent bikini under a parasol.
     Enjoy.
     My thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for sharing an advanced copy with me in return for an honest review.
I do not know why this book has such a high average rating. Reading this book just made me very upset from the start and the rest of the book didn't make that better. He's a creep and it leads to them dating. One moment she says stalking isn't okay and the next moment SHE is apologizing for reacting that harsh 🙄🤦‍♀️ that is just not okay. They date, no clue why he wants her other than that she's attractive, the characters stay very two dimensional and that's it. I really want to know why? I don't hate every book that has stalkers in there, but why act like it's "not that bad"? Just why? This happens in real life, it's wrong and this book normalizes it. Thank goodness it was a short read.
Rosalind is a simply beautiful story of love. Peter is a successful heart surgeon, divorced and not looking for a relationship or for love. When he meets Rosalind she beguiles him. The love between them is almost magical. The prose is  lyrical and lovely. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
A good book about chance encounters and loneliness. A surgeon falls for a patients relative. He cannot stop thinking about her and it leads to a whirlwind romance.
I am aware of the low ratings this book has been getting, but I fell in love with the cover and I just knew I had to read it. I was pleasantly surprised, I didn’t know I would love it as much as I did. “Rosalind” is a quick and lovely read about two very normal people, both lonely and at a mature point in their lives where they can almost say that they have “been there and done that” in terms of career and human relationships.

Still, this unlikely couple met, fall in love and found new meaning in each other. It was a bit of a slow start, so I was really shocked at the events towards the end. What seems to be a simple story of a whirlwind romance turned out to be a heartbreaking testament to the power of love and loyalty. Dr. Peter and Rosalind will definitely stay with me long after I closed the book.

It was fun to read about all the medical procedure and jargon. There were a lot of references I did not understand but it added to the dry humor that is a consistent theme to the story. The stark contrast between the character’s erotic thoughts vs the clinical/medical topics also provided an interesting reading experience. This may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m just glad I enjoyed it and I hope more readers will give it a chance.