Death on a Quiet Day

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Aug 2019

Thank you Net Galley.  A fun read from the classic crime library..  A slow start that picks up as the book proceeds and the crime is discovered. Old time classics are charming. They are paced differently and the plot too, unfolds in a manner quite unlike present day mysteries.
This was my first book by Michael Innes, but I'd definitely read more by this author! The story moved along at a good pace and the characters were engaging and developed.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher Agora Books for the digital review copy.

Unfortunately my forbearance with the author now seems to have  reached its limit. I found this tedious and boring and very difficult to finish.
My sense of humour and love of the wry and ridiculous were untouched.
Those who have not read any Innes should begin earlier in the series.
I always find Michael Innes' books a pleasant and gripping read, well written and cleverly crafted.
This one was no exception and I can say it aged well.
The plot is unusual for a Golden Age mystery as it starts with a thrilling chase that keeps you on the edge.
The mystery is excellent, full of twists and turns.
The characters are well written as usual and quite interesting.
I loved this book and i look forward to reading other books by Mr Innes.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Shades of Buchans '39 Steps'.
A group of Oxford students with their tutor are staying on the edge of Dartmoor,one of them David Henchmen goes walking across the moor for some peace and quiet. Instead of finding that he finds a dead body,He suspects suicide until a fellow walker attempts to add him to his grisly find. There follows a thrilling chase across the moors as Henchman is chased across the moors by a number of armed men
I wont spoil it for you but the chase effectively ends when Henchman is found by Sir John Appleby of Scotland Yard,This is Innes Detective creation and central character of many of his books.
From here Appleby takes over co opting several members of the student group into doing tasks for him and unraveling a dastardly plot involving Espionage Blackmail Murder Red Herrings and a twist at the finale that's not without pathos.
All in all a cracking little tale that reads like an old black and white movie so vivid is the storytelling .Innes writing is as usual of a very high quality its a bit like being told a story by an avuncular and erudite uncle.The tale set over a single 24 hour period fairly zips along and I think that makes it one of my favourite Appleby books so far.Excellent.
Death On A Quiet Day was published in the mid-1950s, but has the sort of timeless setting common to novels about upper class English men. Here the protagonists are a small group of male Oxbridge students who have gone on some sort of study retreat with their professor. Ensconced in a Dartmoor hotel, they plan to read worthy texts and debate philosophical issues. This gentility is thwarted however when one of the group stumbles over a corpse on the moor and is then forced into a Hannay-esque race for his life, attempting to escape from anonymous shady characters who keep trying to shoot him. The hunt, for all its implausible moments, does make for exciting reading. I did struggle to take seriously the idea of an assassin wearing knickerbockers though!

Our hero, Inspector Appleby, doesn't actually even put in an appearance until a good third of the way through the novel. I'm not really sure how I felt about him because Innes didn't give him much of a character. In fact the characterisation for every man is pretty weak and the few women might as well be cardboard cutouts. Perhaps, as this is the sixteenth book of the Appleby series, readers are already supposed to be independently imagining whatever foibles and mannerisms had been described in previous stories? For me this lack of personality was a shame though. The mystery itself is well plotted and satisfying, and I liked the Dartmoor setting which gives a good atmosphere to Innes' tale. Overall I thought Death On A Quiet Day was pretty good for its time, but I wonder if the earlier Appleby novels would be stronger?
The thing I like most about Michael Innes' Inspector Appleby novels is that they're all quite different - you never know whether you'll get a thriller, or a more cerebral puzzle. This one was definitely a thriller, with mysterious murderous men pursuing a student across the moor, and his desperate attempts to escape them. The unexpected introduction of Inspector Appleby into the novel is a welcome break from the chase and leads to the unravelling of the mystery. I'd recommend these. They're fun.
Death on a Quiet Day was my introduction to Inspector Appleby and I will not be going out of my way to read more.    This was a boy's own adventure for the upper classes which was not at all my cup of tea.  I found the writing somewhat archaic and the regular literary references tiresome.  It also seemed to me to be dated in its attitude to women (who had a very small part to play).  Granted, the chase over the moor was exciting but ultimately got faintly ridiculous I thought with David getting on the horse.  In my opinion, a poor show, as David Henchman might put it.
I only quite recently realised how deficit my knowledge of old classic crime novels or even authors was. I am slowly working my way through (my) unknowns to identify if I am a true fan of the style of fiction. With this work as an example, I would say I need more familiarity with them but am definitely partial to the lot.

The reason for claiming I need to get used to the styles of these older authors is the speed of narration. The story only picks up beyond a point and some of them (like this one) do not provide too much of a character background in the time before the problem actually arises. If that bit had been shorter, I would have actually rated this five stars. A group out as a 'reading party' are enjoying a night out. This involves some rash decisions and a lot of jabbing each other with words. Finally, that scene ends and a new day dawns. This day sees our hero  David Henchman out for an early walk to gather his thoughts and ponder over existential thoughts and read a little. His trek has him lost and he tumbles on to an odd situation. He finds a body followed by a suspect. When he tries to keep the suspect in his sights, David has to run for his life quite literally and very very fast. The trail that David leaves behind and the man he befriends turns out to be an unlikely powerful hero. This is the John Appleby of the series. I have never encountered the man and his work before but his behaviour towards David is equal parts faith and other parts as an elder would talk to a child they are humouring. This combination makes for an interesting read.

Although the beginning of the tale was slow, once the plot thickened there was a lot to take in. It was funny in a serious fashion and overall was enjoyable. I could never have guessed the outcome although a few tricks were apparent. There are a lot of red herrings thrown our way but it is easy to accept the final reveal because of the gradual buildup. I would definitely pick up more books by the author and of John Appleby

I received an ARC thanks to the publishers and NetGalley but the review is completely based on my own reading experience.
A bunch of students, their tutor (from Oxford college) and a few other characters are holidaying in Dartmoor. The students are on a reading tour and there is a lot of quoting of shakespeare dotted throughout.
After playing a game of chicken on a deserted road late at night, David Henchman decides the next day to take a quiet hike through Dartmoor away from his fellow students. He loses his bearings and ends up near Knack Tor when he sees smoke on top of the hill. He decides to climb to the top and en route he hears what appears to be a gunshot. On reaching the summit he notices two feet pointing skyward and a man with a bullet wound in his forehead. On looking over the other edge he spots someone walking further down. He hails this man who at first pretends not to hear David and then eventually approaches and feints innocence of the crime. Things happen and soon David is running for his life, pursued by three men. The chase takes several chapters where at times you are left wondering is David jumping at shadows, reading too much into situations just because he is still rattled from the game of chicken the night before.
Eventually David arrives at a point to point and hops on a loose horse. This is spotted by Inspector Appleby whose interest is piqued by seeing a gunshot wound in Davids shoe. There is a little more cat and mouse before Appleby manages to get David to a police station and to hear the incredulous story of a body and a chase.
When Appleby and David return to Knack Tor they find a body but David is adamant it is a different body whom Appleby recognises. Enter scene left the reading party who David needs to warn away as per Appleby's instructions. Things do not go to plan and another person dies.
The following day Appleby tries to make sense of everything, a few red herrings are thrown out and David again puts his life in danger before a conclusion of sorts is enacted.
This is my third Inspector Appleby book and I have to admit is the only one I have actually been able to read with any enthusiasm. Michael Innes writes highly literate prose which can be very difficult to read at times. He also loves quoting Shakespear and poetry. Therefore his books are not the easiest of detective stories to read or the most enjoyable. I would recommend starting with this one as I found it the easiest of his books to get into.
A slow start for a murder mystery: a group of students and their tutor on an old-fashioned reading party on Dartmoor and a lot of chat, learned and otherwise. When one of the students finds a body and has to run for his life, it gets quite exciting; I was reminded of Rogue Male. Appleby is on the spot, as usual, to untangle the mess. As with Operation Pax (which I much prefer), the interest is more in all the chasing about than in the complicated plot and it’s disappointing that we never know exactly what the villains were up to. Not one of Innes’s best.
I have always been a fan of Golden Age Crime Fiction but somehow never got round to reading Michael Innes. I don’t know why because he inspired one of my favourite authors Edmund Crispin who took the surname of his pseudonym and his detective's first name from a character in Innes’ novel ‘Hamlet, Revenge!’

So I shall start with Death On A Quiet Day courtesy of Netgalley and Agora Books.

David Henchman is on a study holiday to Dartmoor with a tutor and some fellow students when he comes across a body with a gunshot wound to the head whilst out on a lone walk to rugged local beauty spot Knack Tor. The only other person he can see nearby quickly turns nasty and David goes on a run across country that would make a fell runner proud.
After this exciting, edge of your seat chase across the moor he happens upon Detective Inspector Appleby of Scotland Yard who is visiting his wife’s relatives locally and they return to the body together, and here we have the first twist, it is a different dead man.

I thoroughly enjoyed the chase across the moor and the later involvement of the other students in Appleby’s investigations.Although the local police were rather conspicuous by their absence, restricting themselves to one appearance in the police station and then happy to leave everything to good old Appleby.

Innes was obviously a man who could  spin a cracking good yarn. Part murder mystery, part thriller in the John Buchan style, he also throws in poetic quotes willy nilly.
I will definitely be reading more from this series, and having just consulted Fantastic Fiction there are plenty.
Really enjoyed this novel by Micheal Innes although you can tell it was written a long time ago as some of the words used I had never heard of and had to google their meaning but this did not lessen my enjoyment. The novel starts with a bunch of students on a break and one of the students goes off on his own to reflect on an incident that had occurred the night previously, prior to leaving the inn one of the other guests remarks that climbing Knack Tor and the view would be enjoyable so off he goes. He eventually reaches his destination and is having second thoughts about the climb when he sees smoke at the top and curiosity gets the better of him. Sometime before reaching the summit he hears what he thinks is a gunshot and on reaching the summit he finds the body of a male who has been shot in the forehead. This is really where the adventure and action start and is well worth reading.
Michael Innes does not disappoint in this story of adventure, murders, espionage  and mystery. These older books really know how to tell a story, how to make it a page turner without the blood and gut of some modern stories. Written by wordsmiths who really knew how to tell a story, create atmosphere, and fill it with characters who come to life in ones mind and then add plenty of spice and mystery.
Great read.
Thanks to NetGalley and Agora books for the review copy.
I was cautious, if intrigued, through the  first ten chapters. I appeared to be inside the head of an adolescent somewhere on the autism spectrum, in a schoolboys’ own adventure first published in 1956.. Then Appleby appeared, took charge and the narrative came together beautifully. I ended up engaged, full of admiration, not only at Innes’s skill as a story teller, but also his insight, compassion and integrity. While yes, there are bad eggs, they are, under normal circumstances, indistinguishable from good eggs. And good eggs behave pretty poorly at times. Innes understands stupidity, group dynamics, fears and adolescent decision making.  I really enjoyed the encounter and unfolding relationship between Appleby and Peter Henchman . The touches of farce and satire are there, but in check

It would adapt well and easily to the screen. It is a very visual experience - with plenty of action and traversing of landscape.. Once again, female characters are most noticeable by their absence. Innes writes about what he knows - mainly men and boys. Within those parameters, Innes is confident, sensitive and original in his creation. I’m very grateful to have read it.
This is the 16th of the John Appleby series. It was first published in 1956. It has recently been published in May 2019 by Agora books.
A young student David Henchman is out for a walk in the moors when he sees smoke on top of a hill. He climbs up to the top where he sees a dead man lying on his back with a bullet hole on his forehead and a gun at his hand. David looks around and sees a man at a distance walking away. He calls him up and they have a discussion. The stranger then picks up the gun and David realizes that he intends to shoot him. David runs away trying to escape. There is a long chase which is joined by some friends of the stranger. After several incidents, David finds himself in a Police station where he meets John Appleby of Scotland Yard. He tells him the entire story and then they return to the scene of the murder where a big surprise awaits them.
This is a thriller cum mystery. An interesting and intriguing story with lots of action and suspense. The characterization is good. The description of the settings is quiet vivid. There is also plenty of humour. A fun read.
However, I have two complaints:
1.The language used is highly literary/intellectual not consistent with a thriller/ mystery. This type of language extends even to the dialogues. No one talks in this manner in real life !
2. The chase scene in the beginning goes on too long for several chapters which makes for dull reading.
David and some fellow students are spending the summer studying and hiking. After a date gone wrong, David needs some time alone. His quiet hike doesn't go as planned. David finds a dead body. Then becomes the target of deadly game of hide and seek.

I loved Innes' books when I was younger and I still enjoy them. While the world described in its pages has changed in myriad ways, the mix of emotions the main character feels had not. Inspector Appleby is still a trat. If you are a fan of classic British mystery, give this one a try.
Death on a Quiet Day is the 16th Inspector Appleby mystery by Michael Innes. Originally released as Appleby Plays Chicken , this classic series is being reformatted and re-released to a new generation of mystery fans. This edition, out 9th May 2019 from Agora, is available in paperback and ebook formats.It also includes chapter 1 from book 17 of the series, The Long Farewell (1958).

I've reviewed a number of these mysteries by Mr. Innes and all of them are erudite and cleverly humorous. There are several where Appleby doesn't make an appearance until the stage is set and the dramatics are well underway and this is another such. The descriptions of the settings, the isolation of the moors, and the characterizations and dramatic tension are masterful. Innes was a sublime and capable author, despite the majority of the Appleby books being light reading.

The language is polished and urbane and the whole is very civilized, despite being a murder mystery. There's a calmness about Innes' writing and I find him very relaxing to read.

Worth noting for Kindle Unlimited subscribers many (most) of the Inspector Appleby books are available for download in the KU subscription for free.

Four stars, comfort reading.
I love a good, old-fashioned mystery. By that I mean not just a mystery set in the past but a mystery written in the past, so the current fashion for reviving the classic whodunnits of the early and mid twentieth century causes me incredible joy. They’re different in style to today’s modern murder mysteries, with a lot less grit and (generally speaking) a lot less procedure, but so what?

Michael Innes’s Death on a Quiet Day was written in 1956 and it begins not with a crime or a grim-jawed police officers but with a group of young male students on a study week in Devon. Their spirits bubble over, there’s a bit of (very 1950s style) banter and a game of chicken in which they all pack into a car, the driver takes his hands off the wheel and lets the car coast down a steep hill until one of them loses his nerve and reaches for the brake.

This is the set up for the subsequent discovery of a dead man on a moor and the chase which follows owes a lot to John Buchan and is fantastically gripping as one of the young men — ironically the one who was the “chicken" in their game — is hunted down across the empty moors by the killer. Then enter Inspector Appleby, a detective who loves a puzzle — and who has a classic to handle.

I really enjoyed this book. It’s a long time since my heart beat quite so quickly for a fictional character as David, the “chicken” repeatedly thinks he’s made his escape only for another twist of fate to throw him back in the villains’ path, becoming increasing tired, weak and desperate until the chase reaches its conclusion. And once that was over and the police became involved, the chase reversed, with the police and the students working together to identify the dead stranger and establish the cause of the crime.

I loved the style, I loved the setting and I loved the chase. It was a fantastic, old-style murder with twist after twist — a profoundly satisfying read that makes me wonder how many more undiscovered gems there are in this genre from this period.

Thanks to Netgalley and Agora Books for a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
This is what felt like a light-hearted tale of young student David Henchman who while out for a walks finds a dead body. Except when he comes back with the police the body has disappeared. It gets a bit farcical as the bodies swap several times. There's also a chase scene which went on a bit too long for me. I enjoyed the setting of the book and it does pack a lot into it. Quite enjoyable