I Know You're There

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Whew, has a hard time with this one. Not sure if it was the writing or the characters, but I just could not get into it. Some called it a slow burn, but I felt like it just fizzled out. I kept getting distracted and didn’t want to read it. Had to fight to finish.

Thanks NetGalley for the ARC
this book kept me glued to my kindle! thank you Net Galley and Sarah Simpson for the opportunity to read this ARC. The characters were well introduced and described. the main character Natalie lives in a building with three other tenants. they have come to know one another while living together, some better than others. Natalie's best friend is one of these tenants, Mo. They get together often for drinks and to socialize. We come to learn that all the tenants of the building have something in their pasts, Natalie starts to feel like she is being watched, and some items from her apartment start to go missing, at first she thinks she has misplaced things, Then all the tenants start to get little notes that only they understand about their pasts but makes them question who is sending them and who really knows about their pasts. The tension builds well throughout the book until the very end when it all becomes clear and everything makes sense.
this book was well written and kept me guessing about who dunnit until the very end. The book was written from different perspectives throughout, but easy to follow, I will read more of Sarah Simpson's books, this was my first.
I hate giving 1 and 2-star reviews, but I really struggled with this one. The pace of this book was so slow, I was distracted so many times and almost gave up reading. It took ages and pages for the story to captivate me and I found myself starting to take interest about 80% into the book. Where's the fun in that...

Natalie spent most of her childhood feeling afraid. So when she moved into her cozy little flat in St Ives and met her three friendly neighbors, she knew at once it was somewhere she'd feel safe. Before long, Natalie's neighbors have become the family she never had. Kind, motherly Morwenna, serious, reliable Nigel, and sweet, anxious Daniel. They collect each other's mail, water each other's plants, and share each other's lives. But as Natalie knows all too well, the people who are closest to you can also be the most dangerous. And this house is not as safe as she thinks...

The story is told in alternating POV's - Natalie, her neighbors- Morwenna and Daniel. Somehow, Nigel, the last neighbor got left out. Why? I'll never know! Among all, I found Daniel's POV to the most repetitive - it was almost as if I were reading the same chapter over and over again - it just got frustrating at the end. The "Natalie" and "Morwenna" chapters were mildly interesting, but it was a slow slow slow book( and in a get-to-the-point-already sort of way). I've read books on the "issue" that's troubling the 4 people, (which is sadly revealed only at the end) and hence I feel that this book had so much more potential. Sadly, I could not wait to just get this book over with.

Thank you NetGalley, Aria and Sarah Simpson for an arc!
I'm quite worn out after reading this; my brain has been in utter turmoil!

Natalie lives in one of four flats in St Ives, Cornwall where the neighbours have become friends. For the first time in her life, she feels safe in her home and life is good. The further into the story we get, the more aware we become that secrets are definitely in the air and Natalie isn't the only one with doubts about her past . When each of the them are on the receiving end of anonymous notes, their fears begin to rise to the surface. But who can possibly the doing this .. and can they each live with the terror these notes are instigating?

This is a very different novel from Sarah Simpson, and I feel her psychological experience coming to bear throughout. Easing the reader in gently, this is a slow burning novel with the tension mounting slowly but surely. I had plenty of empathy with Natalie's tremulous  reaction to the notes she received; there is nothing worse than letting your head have free rein over a personal problem. Haven't we all been guilty of fretting? Each resident has something to be afraid of and their nerves become more shredded each day. As the tension mounts - and unable to see where it was heading - I found myself turning the page almost before I have reached the end of each one, such was my sense of urgency to get to the bottom of things. And when it came, I was breathless with expectation and completely taken aback with the twist. Completely floored! But, finally, it all made sense and I'll sleep much better tonight for knowing that it's all sorted out. This author has certainly produced a stunning and completely different book from her others, and it raises her profile considerably. Absolutely a five star read!
My thanks to publisher Aria for my copy via NetGalley and especially to Victoria Joss for including me on this Blog Tour. All opinions stated here are entirely my own.
Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy...

It was okay but good book to read and learning all about Daniel’s life..

Looking forward to read more book from this author soon....
Sooo this book and I hadn't worked well together. The blurb was intriguing and that's why I decided to read a book. Yet execution wasn't that gold as I was often confused and couldn't get the style of narration.
I finished reading doing so in a quick manner and I gave 3 stars as I hadn't expected that kind of ending.
Natalie has a devastating past, that she has tried to leave buried deep, except it is always there playing on her thoughts. She has done her best to walk away from those that have hurt her. Except every day she is worried that she come face to face with those she fears the most. Is her past about to reemerge and haunt her? This book was a slow build in tension throughout the entire book. As myself and Natalie tried to figure out what the hell was going on in her life. I truly had no idea what was reality and what may have been Natalie's state of mind. I don't think Natalie knew either! It was so craftily written that I was forced to guess the entire book.

As Natalie is truly rebuilding a life for herself, I thought it was fantastic that she found a pseudo family in her neighbors. They seemed to be a supportive tight knit group even if they were a bit dysfunctional. Slowly though I began to question each of their motives. They seemed supportive and yet they all had secrets...so many secrets...

Then things start getting creepy...things start disappearing from Natalie's flat, strange smells lingering in her home, things are rearranged- or are they? I found myself wondering if Natalie had gotten herself into such a frenzy that this was pure paranoia as she admits to such. Or has someone in fact been in her home? Is someone following her every move?

Wow! Sarah Simpson managed to keep me guessing all the way until the end. I truly was not able to determine what was in fact reality or just our characters secrets, lies and paranoia. A major twist at the end left me shocked as everything fell into place.
This was a great read!  The author took the time for the first part of the book to introduce the characters and lay groundwork for their relationships with each other.  This really helped with getting me invested when the twists came, as I cared about the characters.  I am definitely going to be reading more from this author!
This is the story of 4 housemates, Natalie, Morwena, Nigel and Daniel. all very different personalities, all keeping secrets. After an abusive childhood Natalie finds it hard to trust, but somehow trusts all her housemates explicitly.  When her father is released from prison, weird things start happening around the apartment, and someone can't be trusted.

I felt like this book was never ending.
I generally read these 'thriller' books as my 'fluff' books. they don't require a lot of thought and they are fast and easy reads. This book, went on and on and on and it lost me.

The story line was not gripping enough to hold my attention, by the end I didn't even care what was going on, I just wanted it to be over. I was reading it to finish it and not because I cared about the story. I found the author would throw in a lot of decoy mysteries. Like she would want you to think one thing, and you wonder "whats that about?" and then it is nothing, it goes no where... just a silly misunderstanding.

Unfortunately this book was not for me, I didn't care for any of the characters, and could not get emotionally invested in them.
Natalie lives in an apartment in a house shared with three other people. After an abusive childhood she finds it hard to trust others but she finds she can trust her neighbours and has managed to built a friendship with some of them. The something happens that changes her world – her father is being released from prison and at the same time she and her friends start to receive mysterious postcards from someone who seems to know a lot personal information about them all. Are they all in danger?

The story introduces us to relatively many characters but the author takes her time to give us a chance to get to know them all, dedicating alternative chapters to each one. Because of this the pace was rather slow and it wasn’t easy to engage with all the subplots, to be honest, the not knowing what is significant and what is not has provided for a rather confused feelings. But – the characters were well developed, each of them had their own story and really, the author has managed to play with my mind, making me change my mind and my suspicions were jumping all over the place. Natalie comes across as paranoid and anxious but honestly, after her abusive childhood you can understand her. She’s dating her landlord and is full of secrets. Mowenna, Natalie’s friend, is the motherly one but also with past that she’s afraid to be exposed one day. Serious, quiet Nigel, and Daniel, young and naive and also with a past that’s haunting him, even though he tries to escape it. Each of them has their own issues and secrets but they are all believable and complex characters. They all have flaws, you might not agree with their decisions, you’re going to have doubts about them but they’re all going to get under your skin.

This story was full of tension and this creepy feeling that something bad is going to happen, and it was great. I could feel Natalie’s fear, anxiety and uncertainty, as the chilling sense of fear and insecurity was truly strong. Moreover, almost each chapter ends with a cliff-hanger, so in the end you’ll find telling yourself only one chapter more and than totally forgetting the time. There were twists and turns, and they for sure turned out well, as some of them managed to shock me and gasp in disbelief, and well, as usual, yours truly had no idea how it’s going to end, the book kept me guessing till the very end.

It was captivating, character driven thriller written in a great way, Sarah Simpson has for sure a way with words. It was complex, unpredictable and gripping, a slow – burner but I think this laying down the foundations at the beginning was really necessary. Full of secrets, lies and grim atmosphere it still makes for a brilliant, captivating and clever read. Recommended!
This was a very slow burn for me.

The story is split between 4 characters (though it focuses on two of them primarily) and this draws the story out. Each characters has issues and secrets.  Each is also rather unlikable to a degree.

The story goes beyond the halfway point before things start to happen, so this one requires some patience.  The conclusion is quite good and unexpected so hang in there.

This was a quick entertaining read with some pros and cons. I will try more by this author. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Aria for a copy in exchange for a review.
The four inmates of the four flats seem like a very nice bunch of people. Differing ages, differing personalities but they all get on well. There are no hidden tensions or agendas. It seems so.

Natalie  permanently afraid of her bullying and father who is now in prison, sent there by her complaint. Morwenna motherly but with a past addiction and a fear that she killed her husband whom she was devoted to, Nigel serious and just right and then there is Daniel the young boy who is fearful and has everyone looking out for him. We have Mark their landlord who is also now in a relationship with Natalie.

Under the blithe surface all of them have secrets and when a series of anonymous postcards keep appearing in their flats and when Natalie always fears that there has been someone in her flat in her absence though she cannot pinpoint exactly why and how the house of cards begins to tumble. It is an exercise in living on the edge, fearful of shadows, fearful of the dark and now fearful and suspicious of your neighbour.

Fairly tense, living on the edge thriller. Nice characterization. Nice setting.
I Know You're There is Sarah Simpson's third book. It is a book about how well you really know others. It's also about secrets.

Natalie, Daniel, Nigel, and Morwenna all live in a house that has been turned into four flats. They are neighbors and have become friends. Everyone has secrets but some secrets are more dangerous others. When they each start receiving typed notes they start to worry about their secrets because someone seems to know their secrets. How well do you know your neighbors?  How well do your neighbors know you?

I found this book interesting.  I would definitely read another book by Sarah Simpson.

Thank you Netgalley and Aria for the opportunity to read and review this book.

General Fiction (Adult)
Mystery & Thrillers
Release Date: June 6, 2019
Huh...

True to most psychological thrillers, the author led me off in a merry chase to figure out who was causing the trouble. I like when that happens!

This story had a slow, carefully plotted beginning with a gradual introduction to the behaviors of the characters and plenty of information that made me suspicious of each and every one. Going back and forth and all around with each  person I thought I was guilty, I wasn't really able to only come up with one. There were a few good clues, that were pointed out in the end, but then again, there were other clues!

This is a nice edition to the latest psychological thriller mysteries.
A creepy spine-tingler that will make you jump out of your skin, Sarah Simpson’s latest novel I Know You’re There is a dark, twisted and terrifying thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.

Fear had been Natalie’s constant companion all throughout her childhood. While other people have fond memories of their infancy, Natalie’s childhood was full of terror, pain and anguish. Now an adult, safety is absolutely paramount for her. With an aversion to risk and a dislike of danger, Natalie has spent most of her adult life searching for somewhere where she can feel safe and protected. Her search for a place she can call home is not one which she takes lightly and when she moves into a cosy little flat in St Ives, it looks like her objective to find somewhere where she isn’t constantly looking over her shoulder has been a success. Natalie feels like she has finally found the home which she has been searching for for so long and when she is made to feel so welcome by her three neighbours, Natalie thinks that she has hit the jackpot. However, should Natalie be so quick to trust these people whom she’s only just met? Are her neighbours truly as harmless as they seem? Or should she be wary about letting them into her life?

Initially, Natalie’s three neighbours become just like the family she has never had. Motherly Morwenna is always available for a cup of tea and a chat and nothing is too much trouble for reliable Nigel. David, on the other hand, is sweet, kind-hearted and an absolute angel. Natalie feels like she has known her three new neighbours for years. They are always there to lend a helping hand and a listening ear. However, does Natalie know what truly goes on beneath the surface? When evil threatens to jeopardise her new life, Natalie soon realizes that maybe this house isn’t as safe as she initially thought…

With the enemy closer than she first thought, Natalie realizes that she must uncover the identity of whoever wishes her harm – before she ends up paying the ultimate price…

I Know You’re There is an absolute belter of a novel that is wonderfully plotted, brilliantly written and so shocking all the hairs on the back of your neck will stand on end. Sarah Simpson deftly and assuredly explores the fears and vulnerabilities of the human condition in a first class thriller that would have made the late, great Barbara Vine proud!

A sinister tale of deception and obsession full of menace, danger and suspense, if you’re looking for the very best in psychological crime thrillers this summer, then look no further than Sarah Simpson’s I Know You’re There.
I enjoyed this book and the suspense that builds as you read the chapters. You know there is a shoe to drop but you don’t know when and I loved that aspect of the book. Natalie doesn’t trust just anyone and with good reason. She has a troubled past. But she feels safe with her neighbours and trusts them but should she? Her world as she knows it could crumble down at any given moment.

I enjoyed reading about Natalie as the main character and her relationship and interaction with all of her neighbours. They were like a close little family and did things for one another. But is everyone who they say they are or are they hiding something?

I enjoyed how the chapters alternated between each characters point of view. Some chapters were told from Natalie’s perspective then would switch to another chapter from another perspective. A unique way of writing which I found added to the enjoyment and thrill of the novel. It also allowed you to get to know each character in the story a bit more which I enjoyed.

Overall a great book that was a joy to read.
4 stars!  This story had me on edge from start to finish!

Natalie lives in an apartment in a house shared with three others.   She has good relationships with the other tenants, considering a couple of them close friends.  Having escaped a violent and abusive childhood, Natalie has always lived in fear of facing her past.   She can’t seem to shake the feeling of being watched and having her past catch up with her.  Mysterious notes begin to appear causing everyone to question how well they really know one another.

I applaud the author, Sarah Simpson, for creating such an intense feeling of tension throughout this entire novel.   I truly felt Natalie’s fear and anxiety, feeling as though I was worried about what I would find out on the next page.   This chilling sense of dread built a very strong and palpable atmosphere.

The characters were intriguing, each carrying a sense of secrecy that had my suspicions jumping all over the place.  The novel changes perspectives between the house tenants, each chapter ending with a small cliffhanger which left me eager to read further.   The pace did waver slightly as there were times I felt the plot dragged a bit, however, my curiosity and interest was piqued throughout.

This was a Traveling Sister read with Brenda and Norma.

Thank you to Aria for providing me with an ARC to read and review!
I Know You’re There starts off slow as we get to know our main characters who live in different flats in the same building. It seems like a good set up her for Natalie and she thinks she has found her people here however not everything is as it appears with her new friends. Each character has their own personal conflicts and secrets and they are slowly revealed as we get to know the characters.

I know You’re There delves into the mental health of the characters and a few conditions are explored here with our characters. Sarah Simpson does a great job here delving into each character and their personalities as we learn each of the characters' conflicts and secrets from their past and how that has affected their dynamics here in the story. The characters and dynamics are complexed and at times I did become a bit confused with the dynamics.

The pace picks up around the middle of the story and the tension rises as the mystery starts to unfold right to that very satisfying ending that wrapped up so well.
I really thought I would love that book based on the summary.
But I found the story to be SO SLOW!  It didn't really keep my interest, I was always expecting something to happen...

It is well written though and still interesting.

ARC received through NetGalley
Love the title of the book, it makes you want to know more and I have enjoyed the authors previous work so we were off to a good start...
This novel novel ( 😃 ) is set in a beautifully described Cornwall and follows the lives of 4 neighbours who live in a 4 flat house, plus the landlord and one of the residents ‘minder/carers, it was billed by the main character Natalie as ‘almost family like’ with shared suppers, popping in and out of each others flats and the area being so safe they leave the communal front door ooen for the postman to pop in daily, all so genial and comforting, I quite fancied us moving there....
But of course, every single one of them has a secret, in fact some more than one and they want those secrets to remain as such.....but someone knows all about them ( surprise!! ) and via notes in their post pigeon holes gives warnings and coded messages to them all...the book then guides you through as Natalie tries to work it all out and with Mo ( my fav charcater ) as her sidekick they start to discover the truth....on top of this Natalie has to contend with her Dad being released from jail and stalking her, she has a lot to contend with, in the fact they all do and the book does become very ‘busy’ with all the goings on.....I loved it and found it all interesting as more and more became clear about each resident
There is a bit of repetition but in a story like this I found that helpful and not an annoyance
I enjoyed ( not loved ) all the characters and found the writing easy, reader friendly and welcoming
I did guess the culprit and why they were doing what they were doing at about 75% through but that was fine
A very  good read that kept me reader alert all the way through
9/10 5 Stars