The Paper & Hearts Society

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Jun 2019

One of the best debut books I've read. I really enjoyed every second of it and it is perfect for book lovers. Lucy has written such a gem here and I really enjoyed every second off it!
I thought this book was great. I loved the book club and wish I’d had a book like this around when I was younger! The friendships were great and it was just a really fun read.
The Paper & Hearts Society is a highly anticipated young adult book. The main focus is on teenage adoration of books and the healing powers of friendship and trust.
I really liked the references of classic books in this novel and how booklove can bring together a variety of people.
THIS IS THE BOOK THAT HAS BEEN MISSING FROM EVERY BOOK LOVERS SHELF! Especially for contemporary fans. Lucy Powrie has written a book lovers dream, filled with references to so many of my favourite books! Every time a title of a book I loved was name dropped, I felt a rush of excitement!! It especially feature a lot of UKYA books, which Powrie has always been a big supporter of, which I found so great because it's always nice to get some good British culture in books that I can relate too!

As a former resident of Bath, I loved the bits where they were in Bath. It's just always so fun to see familiar places in books. And though there were some very important places missed out (Sally Lunn's Buns? THE JANE AUSTEN CENTRE!!!) it was written so well that I can definitely forgive Powrie for her oversights. I very much loved the scene set in Topping's Bookshop as that is a lovely place to shop for books!

The issues tackled in the book were so important and well written as well. Obviously, I want to spend this whole post fangirling about books, but it was so good to see Powrie tackle the break down of a friendship and the after effects of that kind of life event and how it can haunt you and follow you as you try to make new friends.

This book has so many things going for it. I can't sing it's praises enough.
An utterly joy-filled book about books - and friendships! Heartwarming and uplifting but never shying away from being honest about living with anxiety and dealing with bullying. The perfect comforting book for any young teen looking to find their place in the world and find out who their friends are.
The Paper And Hearts Society was written in quite a young voice (at times it felt more like MG with YA themes), but I LOVED it and can’t wait to read the sequel!
The Paper & Hearts Society

I was SO excited to read this book! Not only because Lucy was one of my first blogging friends and I’m super proud of her for publishing a book, but also because it sounds like the perfect book for book lovers - and it is! The Paper & Hearts Society is an ode to all things literary: books, book clubs, and book lovers. I loved it!

TP&HS is about 15-year-old Tabitha (Tabby) Brown who loves reading. She’s spending the summer with her gran in Dorset and plans to spend it reading in the garden. When she goes to the library, however, she finds a leaflet for a book club hidden next to one of her favourite books and decides to join. There she meets Olivia, Cassie, Henry, and Ed, a bunch of bookish best friends. Tabby finally feels like she’s found her people, but with an ex-friend harassing her on social media and threatening to take away Tabby’s newfound happiness, Tabby's worried it will all come crumbling down.

I loved this book. Anyone who has been reading my blog for awhile will know I adore YA contemporary novels - especially light-hearted ones. The YA genre is sparse when it comes to feel-good reads. Although TP&HS has a darker theme running as an undercurrent, it remains mostly a light - hearted read about friendship, love, and books (of course!)

The first thing I noticed about TP&HS was Tabby's love of books, and indeed, this is the main theme of the book. I absolutely love reading books about books or characters who love books as much as I do. Anyone who is in love with the written word will feel a deep admiration for this book. From Tabby's thrill at joining the library to pop culture references and bookish themed dance parties, I could relate to the enthusiasm and excitement Tabby felt when it came to all things literary. I loved the bookstagram references, the shelfies, the bookish banter, but most of all, I loved how books was what bound this group of friends together. And isn't that true for us book bloggers? Didn't we feel as if we found our people among our little areas of the internet?

The second thing I noticed was how gripping TP&HS was. I read this book in one sitting. I was quite disgruntled when I had to be torn from this book by tedious chores and other responsibilities, as I was completely sucked into the story. I loved the setting; it was warm and deliciously summery. Lucy perfectly balanced a warm, jubilant atmosphere with an air of tension, as we watched Tabby's new friends and her past toxic friendships draw closer to collision. TP&HS was quite simply unputdownable. There also also DEFINITELY moments you'll be covering your eyes because TENSION and also squealing because Tabby and Henry are adorable!

I also loved the characters. I saw a vast amount of potential in Tabby that she wasn't tapping into because of the harassment she'd received. When Tabitha found her voice and her confidence returning, I was overjoyed. Tabby had wonderful character development and really found herself as a person. She made some silly mistakes that were rooted in her fear and insecurity, but by the end of the book, her development was evident. I didn't adore Tabby as much as Ed and Henry, but she's a solid character that learns from her mistakes.

I freaking adored Ed – he's exactly the type of best friend I need! He's supportive, funny, and loves food – what's not to love? I really hope Lucy writes a book from his perspective because I ADORE Ed!

And Henry – wow! I don't blame Tabby for being in love with him. I might be a little bit in love with him myself! He's got that mysterious, quiet charm about him. He loves reading and poetry. He's calm, has quality banter, and is a supportive friend. I loved Henry!

Olivia was adorably enthusiastic. Her excitement and energy made her a lovely character to read about. Cassie was a complicated character and at first I wasn't sure how I felt towards her, but I soon saw the reasons for her actions. Lucy wrote her with depth and sensitivity, and by the time the book was over, I liked her character a lot more.

The friendship dynamics were brilliant! There was a little bit of drama but there was mostly love, support, and banter. I love Henry's quiet support for Tabby, Ed's constant requests for food, Olivia's enthusiasm, and Cassie's dry sense of humour (even though I thought she could be a bit harsh sometimes!). They had found a family among themselves that they knew they could always rely on – I absolutely adored the sense of unity between them.

I also really appreciated the anxiety representation. As someone who has struggled with severe panic attacks in the past, I thought Tabby's panic attacks were written with raw authenticity – the randomness of them, the dizziness, and not being able to breathe, among other things. Tabby also shows signs of social anxiety. There were thoughts that echoed in her head that I think a lot of people with anxiety will be able to relate to!

I think the only thing that prevents me from giving TP&HS a full five cupcakes is that I sometimes felt as if the dialogue had excessive wit, and at times the humour was too scathing (I'm not great with sarcasm and dry sense of humour, so this is a more a me thing).

The Paper & Hearts Society was a wonderfully uplifting start to a new bookish series. It's light-hearted but at the same time deals with issues such as mental health, bullying, sexuality, and family troubles with sensitivity. With a lovable group of book-loving characters, literary road trips, a bountiful amount of doughnuts, and excellent friendship and family dynamics, The Paper & Hearts Society is a great summer read!
THE PLOT
We join Tabby as she starts a new chapter in her life, moving to a different town to be with her grandma. Whilst she’s trying to start afresh, the girl who bullied her at her old school continues to find ways to torment her. Being the book lover that she is, one of the first things Tabby does in town is head to the library. It's there that she comes across the advert for a book club. Hoping to get her grandma off her case about finding something to do over the summer, Tabby decides to give it a try.

THE CHARACTERS
Tabby is the perfect lead for a YA story. She's exactly the type of character that teen readers will be able to relate to, and she's experiencing things that countless people her age will have to deal with or may be faced with in the future. In a time when we can never really shut ourselves off from the online world, it's so important for authors to explore how bullies can target victims through social media. It also helps to show them that there is always a way forward, even when it feels hopeless.

Though she's having a hard time, Tabby gets to meet such wonderful characters through the book club that eventually becomes The Paper & Hearts Society. What I love most about these characters is how different they are, and yet they still manage to form a perfect team. Their readings tastes are also different, but it doesn’t matter in the slightest because they still love sharing stories and bonding through their love of words.

REASONS TO LOVE
 - BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS! I could quite literally scream for hours on end about how much I love the concept of this story being based around a book club. It gives us so much fantastic and relatable content. But the absolute best part is that thanks to the characters all being major bookworms, and the fact that Lucy Powrie is of course a book blogging Queen, we get SO MANY MENTIONS OF BOOKS!!! The YA recommendations that are effortlessly slipped in here are truly iconic. I’m going to be hunting a few of them down in my local library, that’s for sure.

- PERFECTLY YA. I’ve said this before many times, but it’s so important that a YA book is actually YA. As someone who is now closer to 30 than I am 20 (hahahahahahahaha *cries*), I believe anyone should be able to read whatever books they want, no matter the target age range. But it’s so important that YA still remains aimed at the actual target audience. This is a book that teenagers will definitely be able to find parts of themselves in. Whilst I’m still able to enjoy it, I’m so grateful that this book wasn’t written with me in mind.

- THE BEST BOOKISH ROADTRIP. This has to be one of my favourite roadtrips I’ve read in a story, simply because it’s any book lover’s dream. The gang visit so many places of note when it comes to literature. I may be extra jealous of the visit to Shakespeare’s house because I did actually have to opportunity to visit it when I was in high school but couldn’t afford the fee at the time. DAMN YOU, BILLY.

- Also throwing this out there: MAIN CHARACTER WITH GLASSES!!! As someone who has been in glasses since the age of three and will be for the rest of my life, I always seek out characters with glasses, especially ladies. There are always more male leads with glasses than there are female…

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Genuinely, I could write out a list of 100 things I loved about this book, but we’d be here all day. The only tiny issue I had was that I rooted for the side pairing more than the main pairing, but I know that the sequel follows them a little more, so I am ridiculously excited. These characters are all super adorable and I cannot wait to see what they get up to next. Bring on the next bookish adventure!
Don't normally read this type of book, however found myself wanting to know more about Tabby. Can't wait f o r the next one.... It does show how much society has changed with the internet and social media and how it can affect lives so much. It does make you think it was hard enough being a teenager and getting bullied but now you can also be got at through your social media accounts. I have a daughter who is 12 and hope she never has to go through this.
Thank you net galley for letting me read this in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed this! It’s a lot of fun, I loved all of the bookish references. The characters were great and I always enjoy a good road trip story, especially if it’s bookish!
It’s always immensely rewarding to follow someone (on Twitter!) from a distance as a champion of YA and books in general gets to have their moment as a published author, and so we have the YA debut of Lucy Powrie. She has established herself as one of the most influential booktubers in the UK and it makes sense that her debut is a book about books!

Tabby is an excellent lead character, finding her way in a new town with her Gran, mainly hoping to avoid people and drama by reading her way through the summer and forget about her “friend” Jess for a while. The book club she joins shows her that people may not, after all, be the worst and her faith in humanity begins to be restored. Until her worlds collide.

The strongest features of The Paper and Hearts Society revolve around the epronymous book club. Olivia, Cassie, Ed and Henry are all brilliantly drawn and are given time to develop as characters. Though in third-person perspective, we dip into Tabby’s rampant insecurities and imposter syndrome regarding her new group of friends. Once the five get together and Tabby is in their world, the narrative flies along at an enjoyable pace. The early main scenes centre around the book club’s themed gatherings, from a Harry Potter movie marathon to a Hunger Games style game of tag. It’s all really fun and innocent and the dialogue between the five sparkles. There is some tension in the air, some coming from Cassie as she is wary of a new member and some from Henry as he takes a liking to Tabby. There’s also a myriad of contemporary YA title-dropping, as well as classic titles, perfect for any book obsessive reading this.

The spectre of Tabby’s past looms in the background as social media rears its ugly head, showing the worst of Instagram et al. Reflective of real life, social media threatens to pull the group together as Tabby becomes consumed by it all.

The latter third of the book takes in a literary roadtrip for the book club to the homes of Shakespeare, the Bronte sisters and more. Lucy Powrie then seeks to champion the positive side to finding that group of friends, finding your tribe, and leaning on them for support through thick and thin.

The Paper and Hearts Society is a really nice story, with so much for book-lovers to enjoy, along with a fizzing contemporary YA tackling so many of the issues which are prevalent in modern society.

Lucy Powrie is @LucytheReader on Twitter
Such a wonderful debut, you really wouldn’t know it ! It’s an addictive and enjoyable book, entertaining you from the first page. I loved the fact this is so raw and real, it shows how everyone has issues, we all struggle and no one has an easy ride, no matter how it may appear. The characters are wonderfully written, relatable and such brilliant representation. A great book that will connect with readers ya and older.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
The Paper & Hearts Society is an easy to read, addictive YA contemporary debut. It has everything a true bookworm could ask for; realism, great characters, a bookish adventure and even some recommendations for your TBR! The book is true to its intended audience with a young and fresh narrative voice, which adds a refreshing authenticity to the story. I was immediately absorbed into the world of the protagonist, Tabby, who has just moved to a new town and is struggling with low self-esteem and anxiety issues. With some persuasion from her gran she attends a book club meeting in the hope that she may find somewhere she feels like she belongs.

I love how true Lucy is to her teenage characters. Being a teenager is hard and each of her characters has very genuine struggles ranging from identity issues and anxiety to problems at home. It is extremely easy to identify with Tabby. Having to make new friends is scary for people of any age but when you are a teenager, still trying to discover who you are, what your peers think about you can mean everything. So when Tammy goes to meet a new group of people, all of whom are already friends, it is easy to understand how she is feeling. Tabby is a down to earth, likeable character who experiences a lot of ups and downs throughout the novel.

There is a wonderful dynamic between all of the characters in the Paper & Hearts Society and they all have very different personalities. There was a real danger for the novel to be about stereotypes, however, Lucy has created characters with real depth and thought behind them. I couldn’t help but fall in love with Olivia’s bubbliness and enthusiasm; she is the best friend I would love to have. Cassie can be hard work but you know that when you have her loyalty, you will have a fierce friend who will always have your back. I instantly warmed to Henry, who is kind and has a quiet confidence about him. Ed is hilarious and definitely kept me smiling.

There is romance in the novel and, although some is rather predictable, it makes for enjoyable reading as it feels very natural. I love that Lucy has very normalised LGBTQIAP+ representation in the novel, including having a demi-sexual character. It is easy to see that the sexual identity is simply part of the character rather than added as an afterthought.

Throughout The Paper & Hearts Society there are a number of issues raised including mental health, anxiety and bullying. Lucy clearly embraces the challenge of writing about difficult topics, demonstrating a deep understanding of the issues involved. There are moments which are really heart-breaking. It was particularly poignant to me as I have recently watched a family member compete with some of these issues whilst trying to complete their GCSEs. I reiterate, being a teenager is hard. Books can be a  safe space and I am sure that The Paper & Hearts Society will be that for the young bookworms who pick it up.

My favourite part of the book is the literary road trip, having been to some of the places mentioned myself. Lucy does an excellent job of capturing the spirit of the places she describes. The real essence of a road trip though is not just about the places but the people you are with. Above all else The Paper & Hearts Society is about true friendship, where you can be who you really are. To be your best bookish self.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Paper & Hearts Society, being hooked from the first page right through until the end. It is a feel-good, well-written story with excellent characters and I cannot wait for their adventures in book two.
Overall opinion of the book:

The Paper and Hearts Society was such a lovely, refreshing read. Tabby recently moves to a new town and is living with her grandmother, it's the Summer holidays so she's yet to make any friends her age. When she comes across a leaflet in her local library advertising a book club, reluctantly she goes along to it. That's where she meets Olivia, Cassie, Henry and Ed, who equally share her passion and love for books. The story then follows their blossoming friendship and bookish trips. It's the type of book I wish was published when I was still a teenager. Tabby was such a relatable character and I connected with her introverted and often anxious personality. If I had to describe what I was like as a teenager, it would be very similar to Tabby. I'd overthink all the time and I don't think this was represented heavily in books 10 years ago.

It was lovely to read a YA book that's deeply rooted in friendships and a love of books, rather than solely on romantic interests. The references to other YA books was great and I loved all of the Harry Potter chats, it reminded me of the many Harry Potter marathons I'd have. There's also a part in the book where the characters talk about their top five Harry Potter characters, it was interesting to compare them to mine (Lupin, Hagrid, Molly, Ron and Sirius). The Paper and Hearts Society definitely deep rooted me in nostalgia and I liked that the society discusses classic writers, such as Jane Austen as well as current authors, like Becky Albertalli.

The characterisation was brilliant and each member of the society were completely different from one another. It was easy to tell them apart and in the sections where group messages were shown, their personalities were so distinctive and I could tell the characters apart just through the language they used and how they spoke. Sometimes in books, personalities can be lost when displaying text or social media messages, but this was not the case in The Paper and Hearts Society. I loved each member of the society and their own individual quirks. They're all so different and this book emphasises most people have something in common that can bring them close together. I like that it emphasises it's okay to not want to fit in with the stereotypes of society. It encourages readers to break away from this and be proud of their individuality. Though, I do disagree with the trope if you'd rather stay in and read you're weird, as it's quite a common thing.

In regards to the writing style, it was easy to read and follow. Lucy's writing style is relaxed and engaging. She's fantastic at creating setting, and her descriptions of Bath were accurate and takes the reader straight to the intended place. The spelling, punctuation and grammar was great and I enjoyed the descriptive language Lucy uses. Her use of text and Social Media messages were fantastic and it was interesting to see the characters interact through messages as well as in person. This is the reality of friendships nowadays and it was great to see a book reflect this.

One of my favourite things about The Paper and Hearts Society was how inclusive it is. There is a diverse range of characters, POC and LGBTQIA+ rep - this was so refreshing. One of the characters (won't mention a name as I don't want to spoil the book) is demisexual. This is one of the first books I've read that discusses the ace spectrum. Not only is this representation great for those who relate to this, it also educates other teenagers on sexualities they may not be completely familiar with. While there are romances and relationships mentioned in the book, they're not the integral part of the plot, but rather smaller sub plots. I personally loved the fact that the book focuses on a love for books and friendships over relationships. While it's great for YA books to show relationships, it's so important for healthy friendships to be portrayed too.

Although The Paper and Hearts Society is mainly a light hearted read, it does discuss some upsetting and equally important topics - such as divorce, family illness and bullying. Bullying and cyber bullying in particular are prevalent in the book and it reflects on how toxic some friendships can be, and how bullying can affect a person's mental health and future friendships. Lucy tackles this subject well, in an eye opening and often heartbreaking way.

The only niggle I had with this book was the age of the intended audience. For me personally, I'd likely class The Paper and Hearts Society as a teen book or young YA, rather than a late YA book. This isn't a negative thing at all, I just think readers perhaps 13-16 would relate to this book more than those who are 17-20, but that's only my personal opinion. I'm 24, and still loved it!

Overall I absolutely loved The Paper and Hearts Society, it's was deeply rooted in my teenage nostalgia and I loved all of the characters. It's an honest representation of what it's like being a teenager, discussing the awkward and embarrassing encounters alongside making life long friends. The topics discussed in the book were important and overall it was an absolute pleasure to read!

Final thoughts:

If you love all things books and cats, I would definitely recommend reading The Paper and Hearts Society. It was such a lovely read and a fantastic debut novel. It's the first book in the series and I can't wait to read more about the society in the future.

Lucy is an absolutely talented writer and is also part of the book community too - woo! I love seeing someone from the community achieve their dreams! Lucy's 19. Can we all just take a minute to appreciate her success and how brilliant of a writer she is please?!
5 Words: Family, friendship, books, self-discovery, bullying.

This. Book.

I first read The Paper & Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie back in April when BKMRK kindly sent me a review copy. Then pretty much as soon as it was first spotted in the wild in June I read it again, this time armed with a pencil for underlining and annotations.

As much as I loved Tabby, the main character, I related so much with Olivia that she is definitely my favourite. It was astounding to see myself so clearly in a book, in a side character so fleshed out that they came to life. I saw me - I was represented. It was a shock to me how much I felt seen.

I think one of my favourite things about The Paper & Hearts Society was how it was packed with a huge love for books. I loved spotting books that I'd read, bumping books up my existing TBR, and adding books I hadn't heard of. Check back on Saturday for my own Paper & Hearts Society summer reading list, inspired by the books that the characters discuss.

I really liked the conflict in this book - it was so natural and so real. The friendship group came to life to such an extent that I almost forgot they were characters in a book, and every interaction between them was natural.

I loved the road trip, how it was another factor in the changing dynamics of the group. And all of the destinations were already on my literary travel bucket list, so it was great to see them come alive. It made me wonder how the Paper & Hearts Society would react to Barter Books and Alnwick Castle - they should definitely head up North and do a flying lesson at Hogwarts.

The Paper & Hearts Society is one of those books that lifts you up, and it's fast becoming a self-care reread book for me. Read it, pre-order the next one, reread it.
I loved this book right from the first page because this is such a wonderful love letter to books. If you are a reader, you are definitely going to identify with the Paper and Hearts Society because they love books and book shelves and this whole thing kicks of with a visit to the library! How awesome is that? Classics are represented here as well as young adult contemporary and fantasy, graphic novels and even some childhood favourites. I want to be a member of this society and I defy you not to want to as well after you read this book.

Tabby is a book lover and so I could identify with her right away. But she is also a teenager having to deal with everything a teenager has to deal with and so teens picking up this book will definitely have something in common with her right away. Tabby is also a great character to read about because she has some anxiety issues and also some self-esteem issues which are also very easy to relate to. These do build over the course of the novel and we see her trying to hide these aspects of her life from those around her, and we all know how that is going to go!

The other members of the society are great and wonderful and diverse and I can't wait to spend more time with them. I love the fact that they are brought together through their love of reading but that they are all dealing with other issues in their lives that they can support each other with. Henry is a fun character in the group and I loved how thoughtful he was. It is not often you find someone who is as kind and caring as he was. Olivia is bright and bubbly but she is not as confident as she may seem and she is hiding something fairly major about herself that we do get to find out a way into the book. Cassie is guarded and finds trust difficult but we also get to find out the root of that issue and Ed is just the best. He is welcoming and kind and I really hope we get to dig a little deeper into this character in future books in the series.

This is a great debut novel. It really does have something for everyone. I flew through it in two sittings and it definitely motivated me to get on with the rest of my TBR because of all the books and authors these characters talked about. Lucy has explored so many issues that are prevalent for teens today and there is so much relevant technology in the book right down to them texting to let each other know they're outside rather than ringing the bell-I loved that. I highly recommend this book, pop it on your summer TBR now!
If you're a big fan of YA in the UK you might join in on UKYA chat hosted by none other than Lucy Powrie so when we found out she was publishing a book of course I preordered it. THEN I got super lucky and was granted an advance reader copy through Netgalley (thank you to Lucy, the publisher and Netgalley) and I'm so glad I did. Welcome to the Paper and Hearts Society.

Since Tabby moved in with her Grandma making friends hasn't been at the top of her priority list. Who needs friends when you have books, right? It's only after going to the library she finds a leaflet for a new book club and decides to take the plunge. While fighting with her anxiety and past experiences. Lucy writes about anxiety so well, there are few books that have such good representation.

This is truly a book about friendship and finding your way. Overall it is a sweet read and has a very diverse group of characters, although I have to say it doesn't seem forced. It simply represents young people today and the lives they may have.I will say that at first I wasn't sure if I was the ideal reader at the old age of 24. I could take a guess at some of what was going to happen and I felt a little too old but the more I read the more I fell in love with the book and characters. It didn't matter I'd work some things out ahead of time I just wanted more.

Also a huge shout out, which I sent Lucy a DM about, to the love for Sylvia Plath throughout the book. I am a HUGE Plath fan, The Bell Jar is one of my top books of all time, her poetry was incredible and it is so rare to see Plath mentioned in YA. So, on a personal note I really enjoyed seeing that and I feel it gave great insight into Tabby and her character.

I gave this 4 out of 5 stars a solid first novel and I'm really looking forward to reading the next books in the series. A huge congratulations to Lucy! Thanks again to Lucy, the publisher and Netgalley for this opportunity.
If you're stuck on what book to read, there are two great reasons to pick this one up. The first is because it's such an engaging read. You'll find yourself wondering why Jess and Tabby fell out, cheering Tabby on as she makes new friends, and it's overall a wonderfully warm read.

The second reason is there are so many books mentioned here, you'll be spoiled for choice on what to read next. I took a list of every book mentioned and there are a lot. There's also far more I haven't read than I have. I've now got a teaming TBR, more full to the brim than it was before, all thanks to Lucy.

The representation in this book is fantastic. There's asexual and anxiety rep, and they're both done really well. I can't commend Lucy more for it. It also features five main characters with five very different personalities and interests, something a lot of teenagers may worry about when they look to their own friendship groups. Olivia gave me some serious Kristy Thomas vibes so she must be related to the BSC president in some way.
This book is so cute and happy and feel good!

It’s perfect for fans of Alice Oseman and Chloe Coles, this is the ultimate love letter to book fans.

I loved the friendships, and the book club was great. I  was never in a Bookclub, but my best friend and I used to raid our local library for all the latest sweet valley books and spend our pocket money buying them all, so I know the sheer joy of spending your time doing nothing but talking about books as a teenager. (I still do that now but knowing I could go into school to talk about the latest book was ace!)

Tabby was such a believable character, she feels like someone I would really want to be friends with. I love the idea of a literary road trip so much!
My favourite bookish place is Barter Books in Alnwick, I can imagine Tabby and her friends going there and loving it just as much as I do. Or Hay on Wye.
I can’t wait to find out what they get up to next.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this.
The Paper & Hearts Society is a cute, adorable, unequivocally delightful novel that made me miss being a teenager, and it’s not often that I say that! When I was sixteen I stopped reading for a long time, and a book club and the group of friends Tabby has would have been the perfect solution for me. In fact, joining the book blogging community feels a lot like joining a club like the Paper & Hearts Society, and, like Tabby, I am so glad that I have found my people!

I didn’t love Tabby, and I often found her a little annoying, but after talking to a friend I came to realise that the representation of her anxiety was extremely relatable and I can see in the reaction of readers with anxiety that Lucy has done a great job in writing this part of her character.

The friendship this group of friends has is definitely my favourite part of this novel. Everyone’s relationship is super cute, even Cassie and Tabby’s! Ed is the softest person in the whole world and I love him with all my heart, Olivia is so cute she’s like a puppy and I relate a lot. Cassie is definitely the grumpy cat of the group who thinks she’s too cool for everything but secretly loves it and Henry is the perfect, swoon-worthy love interest! They all have something that they’re dealing with privately and makes them feel super realistic and leaves plenty of room for development in upcoming novels in this series.

I don’t think that the writing was the most exquisite prose to ever exist, but it was light and easy to read which only served to further my enjoyment of this novel. Sometimes, I found that the dialogue wasn’t wholly natural, and the way all of the characters communicated was definitely far too healthy to feel entirely realistic. Additionally, it seems that The Paper & Hearts Society being marketed as a YA novel, but feels far too young, and instead reads as a novel for young teens, perhaps aged 13 to 15. Even still, the writing, at least at first, feels a little patronising and I know that it would have put me off reading this book as a young teen. The book feels like it was written by a teenager but instead of using a voice that would be targeted at Lucy’s age group, it seems as though she felt the need to make the voice younger, so doesn’t feel natural in places.

Overall, The Paper & Hearts Society is just as sweet and delicious as the hot chocolates from Woolf & Wilde, the infamous bookshop that I wish I could visit with Tabby and her friends!