Sink

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Jul 2019

i'm so sad, i really was hoping i was going to love this book, but i couldn't. i didn't enjoy it, i know the author is doing a reallly hard work talking about those personal topics, but i can't help it, i did not feel the book was good..
A lyrical, searing family portrait of grief, motherhood, love, abuse and mental illness, Sink is simultaneously addictive and hard to read. The poems weave in and out of moments of a deeply troubled childhood- of an abusive and later absent father, a beaten down mother, growing up in a neglectful home, an aunt found floating in the river, dead- and goes on to chart ancestry and descent. A lesson in inheritance which highlights the violence handed down by men over to men and wounds handed down by women to women; the violence mirroring itself over generations and a sadness carried out by a long line of women before the poet, inescapable like a history carved on the body. But despite it being harsh and gut-wrenching in the way it strips down Dallagiacomo's life, revealing some of its most personal and grief-stricken moments, Sink is above all a story of survival and resilience and strength. We see it in poems like My First Altar, Strength, and I Break Like a Fever. Another thing I really liked about Sink is how a lot of the poems centers the women in Dallagiacomo's life, how these women are where her strength comes from, how they made her up into who she is. The way she talks about these women is breathtaking but also devastating. It's in these poems and others when I am reading of her mother, her aunt Diana and her sisters that I feel this tenderness towards them- for these women who have endured and fought and survived and protected and lost. And though she talks about lineage and the scars it brought her, on not having a choice or say in the suffering thrust upon her, there's this conscious effort of straying from that path, of choosing something better even beneath the burden of trauma she cannot seem to escape.
There are several poems like Reno Nevada, Pine Street Taser, Knots, that read rather flat, more like a simple prose piece instead of poetry but then there are the ones like One Side of an Ongoing Dialogue with Sharon, My Therapist and Thighs Say that are so powerful in their intensity that I find myself reading them in a single breath. Just the first sentence of One Side hits you like a sucker-punch ("My father dropped out of high school I was the high school"). Thighs Say, mirroring big, wide thighs in its form, is a celebration of huge, unconventional bodies, unapologetic in its pride ("My thighs say leave the lights on. We spent
a lifetime hiding. Shake out of this shame.
We are the ruthless twins. Too strong to
not run toward everything light.").

An exploration of broken families, girlhood, feminism, growing into a woman, being a woman, of the body, of what it holds, of its several insecurities, erasing the hate for it and learning to love it for what it is, Sink provokes and moves and empowers, leaving behind the feel of coming up for air after sinking.
I truly enjoyed this book of poetry. Desiree's poetry is not a book poems for the light-hearted, its a book the repels events that some may find off and intrusive. However, on most level of her metaphorical writings of poetry, I was able to feel very connected and very pleased to have the chance to read her thoughts in an artistic view of words.
A very personal collection that deals with poverty, depression and womanhood. Being a reader felt quite intimate, as the poetry is so raw & honest. Very strong emotionally and well-written. Sometimes didn't like the rhythm, but other than that, it's an exceptional book.
A very story telling -poetry types. Not my ideal poetry kind but enjoyed the story nevertheless. I wish the writing was a bit more deep but overall it was a fine experience reading it.
Let me just say that the cover is what initially drew me into this book. Great plot and I look forward to reading more by this author.
This was such a heartbreaking and heartfelt collection of poetry. It was absolutely wonderful, I would definitely recommend it to all of my poetry loving friends!!
"Sink" is a volume that washed over me in an evening, echoing in me the transformation of broken bottles along the coast to beautiful, if not raw, sea glass. Dallagiacomo has created a collection that had me vanish into it, only to be returned to myself at the very end. I am not the same person having read it, but I am without a doubt a better person, more sensitive, more open to emotion.
I am impressed by the way the poet has portrayed her universe and made it come alive with risky poetic forms. In spite of this, I was immersed in the violence of the language that portrayed vulnerability in a new and unique light. With her spectral personification of trauma and the variety of ways it can take shape, "Sink" has become one of those books I'll take wherever I go, no matter how much luggage I'm allowed (or not). Without a doubt, this poet is one to watch; there is no one writing quite like her today.
eBook provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

I love every single Button Poetry book I've read on my own, so I was excited to pick this up on Netgalley despite not previously knowing much about Desireé Dallagiacomo -- and I'm so happy I did. This book is beautiful, gut-wrenching, and I devoured it in one sitting just to start it over again to see what else I could glean from its pages.

Sink is a collection of poetry primarily about Dallagiacomo's childhood, relationships with each other parents, and her experiences with sexual assault and rape. I found myself relating to a lot of pieces -- albeit not as many as I tend to in most Button Poetry publications, which is the reason for the four point five star rating -- but even the pieces I couldn't relate to were still well-done.
Very personal, very powerful. Dallagiacomo has talent - her words pull you in and make you feel like you're part of each moment.
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. This is now one of my favorite books of poetry. So heartfelt. I could literally feel it in my bones. A very talented lady.
One of the most moving books of poetry I've read in a very, very long time. Poems range on subjects from drug abuse, absent parents, grief, fatphobia, and misogyny. Although my life experiences have been completely different to Dallagiacomo's, every poem spoke to me on a personal level. The poems about her late Aunt Diana will stay with me for a very long time. Absolutely incredible collection.
Sink by Desireé Dallagiacomo is a raw, passionate, and adventurous exploration into the state of our world and our minds. I loved it.

This wasn’t my first introduction to Desireé Dallagiacomo, I’ve seen her perform her poetry on Button Poetry’s channel on Youtube. I loved her then and I love her even more after reading this tender and emotional addition to her work.

Sink dances between tough topics with a lack of inhibition that is rare and special in the world of Poetry. Between love, grief, addiction, the patriarchy and self image, Dallagiacomo alights on these subjects with deep empathy and a heart laid bare.

I read a lot of poetry and would recommend this to any of my poetry-loving friends and followers, as well as those who are looking to try it out. Dallagiacomo’s poems are readable and relatable, brave and uplifting, and ultimately a very enjoyable collection.
Great book a bit of everything thing that happends in the real world in here just a great read about real everyday things
This is an amazing collection of poems. That showcase a girls journey from childhood to adulthood and everything in between. It showcases every emotion a girl/woman will go through in their journey of life and it will speak to the female generation in multiple levels.
Images from this are still rippling in my mind.  The poet knows how to use words effectively, with metaphors working on evocative ways.

I would recommend Sink for those seeking a talented new poetic voice.
Dallagiacomo’s debut collection, Sink, reads as much as an autobiography and feminist anthem as it does a collection of poems. I devoured it. This is the type of work that is brave when it shouldn’t have to be, raw, beckoning, honest. The opening poem, My First Altar, started off clunky for me, but returning to it after finishing the book, I appreciated how it tied the collection together and spoke to all the things we sacrifice in order to rise up. It’s generational; it speaks to the pain (poverty, abuse, mental illness, addiction, loss, abandonment) and glory (physical bodies, resilience, love) we inherit, how we process it, and the output we pay forward. For Dallagiacomo, this output appears to be fierce love, forgiveness and empathy, for others and herself.

“I’ll tell you of the time/ she dug me out of the worst/ grave in the cemetery/ of my life. I’ll tell you of the time/ she was so high, she forgot/ I was living. And I will tell you that I love her/ still, still, and again.”

It is an homage to becoming a woman, to the process of falling in love with a body that society rejects, to overcoming shame, and to thriving against all odds. It is at times a eulogy to those she has lost to suicide, abandonment, prison, patriarchy. It is a story of a mother’s strength, a father’s ghost and a daughter who swept the shards of her childhood into effigy of beauty: her body, herself, her book.
This is an incredible book of poetry.
Desireé Dallagiacomo is a poet with plenty to say and she says it with passion and with not self-control.
This isn’t parlour room poetry to pontificate and please. This lines and verses are raw, emotion laid bare and complacency undermined.
Nothing here to just lift the spirit, as to listen is to be moved. To hear is to be disturbed. To read is to have all your senses assailed as by a lexicon of besieging soldiers. A vocabulary of invading force.
Poems has a metre but Sink rips that up with an outpouring of concepts and memories, hopes and fears, bruised bodies and broken spirit. Poetry however still formulates a pattern, a series of waves. A variation of pitch and length that initially not everyone can hear or understand on first encounter.
Never just read a poem once. This book will be a treasure possession in anyone’s collection. Those who like intensive and sushi emotive verse. One day a book like Sink will overrun our coastal defences of conservatism like a tsunami.
“I cannot remember his laugh though I thought I would by now. His face and folds into each year. I do not know any of his scars”.
“I do not know what children with fathers dream about, what they long for if not for someone with their same face to tuck them in at night.”
“My mother scratches at her skin so viciously she is a field of ripened sores.”
“My thighs are always the elephant in the dressing room.”
“nobody wants to develop my negatives in their darkroom”.
My favourite poem on first reading was:
Your Doctor Says Dementia.
A mind-blowing, opinion changing piece. When browsing and picking up this book, turn to this one.
For example “They’ve lifted the lid off of you and found your memory is evaporating rain, ....”
One to look out for. Buy or borrow. Read and read again.
This book was really hard for me to get through. It was incredibly raw and vulnerable and it had a LOT to say.
These are poems that go for the throat and don't let go. They have a lot to say about feminism, patriarchy, body image, abuse, trauma, and poverty—among other topics, and often in a self-knowing way, e.g. "Let me make this specific trauma work for a poem" ("Child Protective). Before I started the book I listened to a few of the author's readings on the Button Poetry YouTube channel and was completely undone (in a good way). E.g. her reading of "Thighs Say." (Watch it!) When I read it on the page I heard her voice reading it; it's hard/impossible for me to see/hear the poem now without her reading of it attached, which is maybe what a great reading does. I wasn't completely into all of her line breaks on the page and some of the poems were not quite enough for me, but enough of them were really strong. Two of my favorites: "Origin Story" and "Gutter" (both brutal). There's a running theme of knives and blades that's used to great (in the sense of violent/visceral) effect in a poem like "Gutter," that is then turned in quite a lovely and unexpected way by the later poem "Than Sex." Some of the lines I highlighted: "I know what it is to hate myself enough to keep a tally of the parts of me that I have disappeared," "people never really leave they just hide inside me," and "Where Did You Get that Pick-Up Line? You Should Drop It Back Off...." (poem title). Love that. :) :)
Thank you to NetGalley for sending me the ebook in exchange for an honest review.