The Road She Left Behind

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Jun 2019

The Road She Left Behind

5 Stars

Omg! I loved loved loved this so much!! This is so heartwarming and captivating!! It is very well written!! Characters are just great and very well developed.

Highly recommend this engaging story!
Darcy leaves home after the deaths of her father and sister.  Summoned home after contacted by her estranged mother’s housekeeper, Latrice, the reasons Darcy left become clear.  Reuniting with her nephew, Emerson, the story is told with depth and sincerity.  The characters are sympathetic and the story captivating.  Recommended.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
It is easy to see why Christine Nolfi is one of my favourite authors. Her gift of storytelling makes it a delight to pick up one of her books and become totally captivated for hours on end.
Eight years ago Darcy Goodridge fled her family estate without looking back. Drowning in guilt over the horrifying car accident that killed her father and only sister and devastated by her mother's resentment she had to find serenity elsewhere.
An emergency phonecall concerning her young nephew has her coming home to face the dark secrets of a dysfunctional family.
"The Road She Left Behind" is a heart warming story of love and forgiveness.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an arc of this novel in exchange for my honest review
The Road She Left Behind was an inspiring novel about family.  Darcy fled her home town eight years ago after her father and her sister died in an accident.  She never spoke to her mother again.  Now, her family's housekeeper Latrice has called her to tell her that her nephew Emerson is missing.  Emerson was only a few months old when his mother died and Darcy hasn't seen him since.  Darcy doesn't understand why Latrice called her to help.  She doesn't want to go home to help, because she doesn't want to face her mother who blamed her for the accident.  And she doesn't want to see Michael who she has a long history with but hasn't talked to in eight years. Darcy ends up going home.  She quickly becomes involved in some situations that she did not expect at all.  Can what happened in the past be repaired enough for the family to pull together now?
This was the first book I read like this. To be honest I tend to read romance but I am trying to branch out. This was a great read. From wandering from problems, fear over a runaway boy, drama over unknown conflict, rekindling an old but never ending love, and little comic tidbits; this book could fit the taste of many different readers. It was a little slow at the start but that did not last long.  Only part I did not like was the end. I felt it was a little abrupt. It almost seemed like someone said the book is get a bit long so wrap it up quick. I think one more chapter would have been all that was needed to give a better ending. Don't worry it did not end on a cliffhanger, just could have been better done. Overall I would recommend this book.
This book held more twists and turns than I was expecting! It was fabulous! If you are looking for a book to fill your weekend, you need to read this one!

Find a little forgiveness, some closure, and some good ole family drama - just enough to keep everything and everyone interested and turned upside down!
The Road She left behind is an emotional tale, of a dysfunctional family. The flawed characters, burdened by distance, loss and secrets, find their way to healing and love. Thank you NetGalley for the review copy. All opinions are my own.
I thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book. This author was new to me and I was not let down. It was a great story and very well written. The characters were easy to relate to and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend this to everyone!!
I think this is my favorite book by Christine Nolfi. She captured me from the beginning and kept me turning the pages. It is a fast moving story of family dynamics and the effects that grief, loss, lies and guilt can have a a family. Darcy left home eight years ago after tragedy befell her family. Now she is back to try to repair the relationship with her nephew, who needs her, and her cantankerous Mother. The characters are so realistic and I felt like I knew each and every one. Christine has a way of making you feel a part of her stories. I could feel the sadness and the guilt, but most of all, the love. Grief can tear a family apart, but love can put it back together. There is a lot of things going on in this book but Christine Nolfi writes with such clarity and has a special gift of writing about families and all the complexities that entails. I feel this is her best book to date and I have read all her books. She is one of my favorite authors. This book will make you mad, sad and feel love like no other. But you will feel every emotion. A wonderful book by a very gifted storyteller. I wouldn't want you to miss out on such an incredible, heartfelt book. Grab this one and be transported. Thank you Christine Nolfi for such an amazing read. 1000 stars!!
2 likes
This was an amazing book. The author tells the story of how an accident can tear a family apart. The love of a child can bring them back together.  This was one amazing book that will touch you till the end. The author did an outstanding job with writing this book.  I would highly recommend this book to any one who what's a good book to read.
Chrisine Nolfi is a new to me author. She delves into the dynamics of family with a skillful pen. While The Road She left Behind is a story of family secrets and past regrets, it is also a story of love and forgiveness. An unexpected call lures Darcy back to a home she had fled years ago following the tragic accident that killed her father and sister. Darcy quickly discovers that the bad decisions in the past were a symptom of the brokenness that accompanied hidden secrets that were destroying her family.

Mostly, this is also a story of love, forgiveness and hope. Nolfi weaves a heartwarming story of family and the many relationships we share in life as a lover, spouse, parent and child that the reader will ponder long after the last page was read.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book the author/publisher. I was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.
I received a complimentary copy of this title from NetGalley. All opinions are given freely and are completely my own.

Darcy left Ohio after the tragic accident that killed her sister and father and she hasn’t looked back since. That is, until her eight-year-old nephew turns up missing. Returning to Ohio, Darcy is forced to face her past—and her mother—in order to move forward, something she’s been avoid since she left Ohio.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I struggled in the beginning to relate to characters and get into the book, but once I moved past the first several chapters, I was hooked. I enjoyed watching the relationships between the characters unfold and watching them develop throughout the course of the novel. In particular, I enjoyed the dynamic between Emerson and Rosalind as well as Rosalind and Samson. Overall, this was an enjoyable novel full of family secrets.
I’m giving an honest review for a ARC copy of the book I received from the author.
I absolutely loved this book!! It was entertaining, romantic, heartfelt, humorous and moving. It did not disappoint this reader. This story begins with a young woman Darcy Goodridge, who is leaving her job to go home to Ohio. She hasn’t been home in eight years because of events that happened long ago before she left. Losing her father and sister eight years ago was more than Darcy could handle. It was what drove her away for eight long years. She spent her time moving from one job to the next, never putting down permanent roots. Darcy has been beckoned home by the family house keeper who was more of a mother and friend than Darcy’s own mom ever was. Darcy’s young nephew is in trouble, he’s run away from home. Darcy must return home to help find him, and she is in for a few more surprises upon her return. Can Darcy mend fences along with her broken heart? Can she finally hash things out with her mother before time gets away from them again...can she keep the promise to her sister she made so long ago...
What I love most about Christine Nolfi’s books is that she draws her readers in at the first chapter and weaves a beautiful heartfelt story. You don’t want to walk away or put the book down. Her books are believable and realistic. You are drawn in until the very last page. I have to say to date, this is one of my favorite novels by her and I will re-read it again and again. I highly recommend this book to her followers, and if this is your first book by this author you will be happy you chose it. Enjoy!
Thank you to Christine Nolfi for allowing me the opportunity to read and enjoy this book. Again this is my honest review for her book The Road She Left Behind.
Christine Nolfi has a writing style that made it easy to follow the stories twists, surprises and developments of this gorgeous book. The story pulled me in with its warm and inviting writing style and I was sad to see the book come to an end."
This book has it all - family, forgiveness, love, and understanding.

All families have some sort of dysfunction and Darcy's is no different.  A tragic accident tears apart her family and sets her on a path that is lonely since she has no communication with her family other than Latrice, the nanny/housekeeper that she has known all her life.  And that contact is only once per year until a call out of the blue changes Darcy's life forever.

It is hard to know who to feel sorry for in this book - there are so many characters with their own issues and I found myself rooting for various characters at different times.  While the main character is Darcy, there are those that play a part in her life in different ways.  Sampson is like an adopted son and Darcy is able to identify with him since he has been in the foster care system and bounced around from home to home until he turned 18 and is then out on his own.  Michael was Darcy's best friend and first love, but will he be her last?  A misunderstanding caused their rift, will they be able to overcome?  Rosalind is Darcy's mother but she doesn't seem to have a nurturing bone in her body.  This could be due to her career as a judge or it could be due to her issues in her marriage.  Emerson is Darcy's nephew and quite a pistol!  He is smarter than he should be and wants a family more than anyone knows.

All of these characters add depth to the book and the story is woven through time, heartache, and joy.  You will even find some light moments that will make you laugh especially Michael's grandmother, Tippi.  She is quite a hoot.

We give this story 5 paws up and suggest you pick it up next time you are looking for a story that encompasses everything!
Nolfi picks topics to write that easily resonates with the human experience. In The Road She Left Behind, the universal topics of the mother/daughter dynamic, grief, betrayal, devastated friendships, and relationships that are affected by years of rigid pride, loneliness, and secrets, shows that people everywhere suffer through the ups and downs of family dysfunction and that if we were to try to understand each other despite resentment and grief, before illness or tragic events force us to, we’d waste less time estranged from those we love most. There’s always room from multiple second chances if you’re courageous enough and this novel shows us that.
An entertaining book for summer and a family drama. While Darcy was running away from her past she is suddenly pulled back to the life that she was trying to avoid. All the lies and secrets from the past that can not be forgiven and yet she must put them in order so that she can move on with her life.
The story has great characters. Strong characters that love and support each other.

Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I really like this one! It could be heavy at times, but the character development was rich. It will definitely leave you thinking about this one.
Darcy is just a young woman who hasn’t been dealt the best hand of cards. She has spent the last several years of her life running from heartache and grief. Along the way, she meets Samson, who has just aged out of the foster care system. Just when you think that he is a minor part of her story, he becomes a large part of her journey to find herself again. Unfortunately, Darcy’s nephew, Emerson is missing and she is faced with the dilemma of returning home to help or keep running. In order for Darcy to truly free herself from her grief and guilt over tragic events that happened in her life, she must face the places and people in which the pain originates. It isn’t an easy journey. How can Darcy prove herself to her mother, who is overrun with grief herself and looking for someone to blame, and has never understood her daughter? Darcy is fortunate to have so many people in her life who love and support her and push her to be her best self. In doing so, Darcy is finally able to find the happiness she deserves.

Christine Nolfi is a fabulous writer! This might just be my favorite book from her yet! She writes with such great detail and her words have such a fabulous flow. In many books that I have read, authors tend to ruin a book just for the “shock” factor or resolve things in the story line much too soon, but not Nolfi. The timing of every single detail of this story was perfect.

The characters were amazing. Even though I have not experienced the hardships they faced in the story, I found each of them so relatable because of their character traits and beliefs. Characters that I would never expect to have a big role, turn out to be so remarkable and loved! Everyone comes together in such a beautiful and perfect way.

I couldn’t put the book down, nor did I want it to end!
I loved this book from the very beginning to the end.  Combines family issues with romance and left me wanting more.