The Road She Left Behind

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Jun 2019

This book has it all - family, forgiveness, love, and understanding.

All families have some sort of dysfunction and Darcy's is no different.  A tragic accident tears apart her family and sets her on a path that is lonely since she has no communication with her family other than Latrice, the nanny/housekeeper that she has known all her life.  And that contact is only once per year until a call out of the blue changes Darcy's life forever.

It is hard to know who to feel sorry for in this book - there are so many characters with their own issues and I found myself rooting for various characters at different times.  While the main character is Darcy, there are those that play a part in her life in different ways.  Sampson is like an adopted son and Darcy is able to identify with him since he has been in the foster care system and bounced around from home to home until he turned 18 and is then out on his own.  Michael was Darcy's best friend and first love, but will he be her last?  A misunderstanding caused their rift, will they be able to overcome?  Rosalind is Darcy's mother but she doesn't seem to have a nurturing bone in her body.  This could be due to her career as a judge or it could be due to her issues in her marriage.  Emerson is Darcy's nephew and quite a pistol!  He is smarter than he should be and wants a family more than anyone knows.

All of these characters add depth to the book and the story is woven through time, heartache, and joy.  You will even find some light moments that will make you laugh especially Michael's grandmother, Tippi.  She is quite a hoot.

We give this story 5 paws up and suggest you pick it up next time you are looking for a story that encompasses everything!
Nolfi picks topics to write that easily resonates with the human experience. In The Road She Left Behind, the universal topics of the mother/daughter dynamic, grief, betrayal, devastated friendships, and relationships that are affected by years of rigid pride, loneliness, and secrets, shows that people everywhere suffer through the ups and downs of family dysfunction and that if we were to try to understand each other despite resentment and grief, before illness or tragic events force us to, we’d waste less time estranged from those we love most. There’s always room from multiple second chances if you’re courageous enough and this novel shows us that.
An entertaining book for summer and a family drama. While Darcy was running away from her past she is suddenly pulled back to the life that she was trying to avoid. All the lies and secrets from the past that can not be forgiven and yet she must put them in order so that she can move on with her life.
The story has great characters. Strong characters that love and support each other.

Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I really like this one! It could be heavy at times, but the character development was rich. It will definitely leave you thinking about this one.
Darcy is just a young woman who hasn’t been dealt the best hand of cards. She has spent the last several years of her life running from heartache and grief. Along the way, she meets Samson, who has just aged out of the foster care system. Just when you think that he is a minor part of her story, he becomes a large part of her journey to find herself again. Unfortunately, Darcy’s nephew, Emerson is missing and she is faced with the dilemma of returning home to help or keep running. In order for Darcy to truly free herself from her grief and guilt over tragic events that happened in her life, she must face the places and people in which the pain originates. It isn’t an easy journey. How can Darcy prove herself to her mother, who is overrun with grief herself and looking for someone to blame, and has never understood her daughter? Darcy is fortunate to have so many people in her life who love and support her and push her to be her best self. In doing so, Darcy is finally able to find the happiness she deserves.

Christine Nolfi is a fabulous writer! This might just be my favorite book from her yet! She writes with such great detail and her words have such a fabulous flow. In many books that I have read, authors tend to ruin a book just for the “shock” factor or resolve things in the story line much too soon, but not Nolfi. The timing of every single detail of this story was perfect.

The characters were amazing. Even though I have not experienced the hardships they faced in the story, I found each of them so relatable because of their character traits and beliefs. Characters that I would never expect to have a big role, turn out to be so remarkable and loved! Everyone comes together in such a beautiful and perfect way.

I couldn’t put the book down, nor did I want it to end!
I loved this book from the very beginning to the end.  Combines family issues with romance and left me wanting more.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC for my Kindle.
A sweet and encompassing story about multi generations in a family and the love and loss they share.  A good read for every age!
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
After a tragic accident that killed both her father and sister, Darcy abruptly moves away leaving her judgemental mother, her newborn nephew, and her boyfriend behind. Eight years later, Darcy comes back when her nephew disappears. When he's found, she decides for his sake to stay and face her own guilt and her mother's anger and accusations.
I had a hard time connecting with the characters in this book. Rosalind was such a bitter and hateful character, I had a hard time believing she could change to loving mother and grandmother in the end. I loved the character of Samson, he seemed to tie all the characters together. Overall it was a good story of redemption and the love of family.
Darcy left her life and all she had know about 8 years ago after the loss of her father and sister. She has not spent more then a year in any place she has lived. She is summoned home by her mothers longtime housekeeper when her nephew Emerson has run off and been gone for more then a day at only 8 years old.

Arriving home is no celebration as her mother is not happy at her return.

Rosalind, Darcy's mother, has a little secret of her own. She has a genetic heart condition that is starting to affect her daily life. Emerson has noticed but feels that he needs others to help him find out what is wrong with his grandmother.

As the family rallies to help Rosalind battle her illness Darcy finds love back in the arms of her former boyfriend who also happens to be one of the people who has watched over Emerson all these years.

A family pulled together by something that could also tear them apart. This is brilliantly written.
The characters in this book are not likeable.  The 2 narrators are also very hard to like and do not have any redeeming qualities.
Thanks for approved the book for me..

It’s sad that I can’t read this book so it’s too late bummer! I do want this book badly it I do have a kobo which I’m looking forward to read it soon hopefully..
Wow!!!! Did I love this story!! I feel in love with these characters right from the beginning and this story was so wonderful!!!! I love the way the ending was just perfect!!!!!!
I received this book "The Road She Left Behind" from NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own.  The book was about second chances and everyone in the books seemed to get their second chance. Nice, easy read. I was expecting more details on the "secrets". I rated as okay, didn't hold my interests enough.
MAGNETIC!

Christine Nolfi’s latest novel, THE ROAD SHE LEFT BEHIND, is MAGNETIC! Magnets both attract and repel and that is exactly what happens in between the characters in THE ROAD SHE LEFT BEHIND. This is an excellent book that will keep your attention from beginning to end! This may be Nolfi’s best novel to date! Her characters are complex, her story is realistic and as a reader, you will become entangled in all of it! Three women from two different families have been friends for a lifetime. Their friendship should have continued this way instead of one person barely speaking to the one of the others, two badly broken hearts and one person hating everyone else. Attracting and Repelling - Love and Hate. All of this from deeply buried dark secrets that have changed the course of all their lives. Can they possibly restore all the broken pieces of their hearts, lives and relationships? What would it take to make them WANT to make a change? I was provided an ARC of this book by Lake Union Publishers and NetGalley. The opinions expressed here are completely my own and without influence.
Since I enjoyed Darcy Goodridge's and Michael Varano's romance so much - I really would have liked it if the book had gone a little bit further with their relationship.
This is one of those books that had me reading it instead doing all the other things I was supposed to be doing!

Darcy has been running from her guilt and sorrow for eight years, moving every year and avoiding emotional attachments. After a call from home, she decides to return home to face the past.

The author keeps peeling the layers back as the story progresses, keeping the reader engaged. Christine Nolfi’s books always manage to uplift me even while dealing with difficult subject matter. Darcy finds a way to begin moving beyond the past and deal with unresolved issues.
I fell in love with the characters.  Emerson is only 8 but he sure is a smart boy who stands up to his grandmother and somehow felt she was dying.  He ran away so the housekeeper would call his Aunt Darcy who hasn't been home in 8 years.
Through pain, mistakes and not communicating they learn from Emerson who won't let them give up on each other anymore that they can learn to love once again.  As much as I loved Emerson,  my favorite part of the story was when Darcy finally confronted her mother.  She told her mother she had figured out that her father was unfaithful to her mother and because of that they let the hatred of each other, put her and her sister in a prison.  They didn't come home, they didn't spend time with them, it was their hatred of each other that created the life her and her sister had. She was still giving Emerson that same life and it was time to end it.  Oh if this was to happen in real life, maybe life would be so much better for so many kids.  But I am reviewing the book and to get everyone's attention, Emerson ran away again.  Emerson and his Aunt Darcy ended up in the river and Michael saved them.  After that, they began to heal as a family and the friendship that had ended years ago, thanks to Darcy telling her mother it wasn't her friend's fault.  She kept her husbands secret and he was a predator and that is what a predator does, goes after women.
This was such a well-written story and I am hoping there will be another book to tell Darcy, Michael and Emerson's story.
Really enjoyed this read. Families are so complicated and sometimes dysfunctional. Darcy runs away for 8 years from her family due to a tragedy she believes was her fault. She ends up going home out of guilt and tries to make sense of all she lost by running. Ms Nolfi  writes with such feeling as if she lived the story.
Enjoyed the book! Thank goodness for Samson or Darcy would still be splitting her lunch in half every day and moving to a different town every year for the rest of her life. Rosalind was an awful mother and was simply cruel to her daughter. Actually, Rosalind was mean to pretty much everyone she met. I'm not sure how she could blame Darcy for everything. She even blamed Darcy for Elizabeth getting pregnant. I hate to say it, but I found Emerson completely annoying. I couldn't believe Darcy was going to let an eight year old dictate who she was allowed to date or fall in love with. I couldn't wait to find out what happened to Darcy's dad and sister. I thought there was going to be some huge mystery behind their deaths, especially since Darcy was to blame according to her mom. What happened to them was awful and it wasn't what I was expecting. Thankfully Darcy, Elizabeth and eventually Emerson had Latrice when they were growing up. She pretty much raised them and let them know that they were loved. Tippi was quite the character. She always dressed in black, played poker and had many boyfriends.

Definitely recommend the book. I enjoyed the story and the writing style. I loved the cover of the book. I look forward to reading more books by the author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Lake Union Publishing through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
The book was so wonderful for so many reason. This was my first book read by Christina and was very grateful to have had the opportunity to to be introduced to her work. I’m definitely looking forward to her other books. I’m not sure if this book was intended to begin a series but I hope another book can be made to continue.

I love books like this because it reminds you of how short life is and no matter what’s going on, you have time to mend relationships before it’s too late. You just know when you start reading that you will love it once you forget time and just keep going. This book was everything that I need right now. Christine truly blesses the reader with a beautifully written story, characters that leave an imprint on your heart and a reminder of the gift of time in life that some forget to cherish.

The Road Left Behind introduces us to the Goodridge family. From the outside, it would appear the ideal family. Prominent, well established with a reputation that was known to all. Behind the scenes told a different narrative. One night changed their family forever. Darcy, plagued with guilt and burdened the weight of resentment from her mother, left home with no intentions to ever come back. Out of the blue one day she received a call, pleading for her return, she made the choice to face her past and return to the place she’d tried so hard to put past her.

Secrets are revealed, truths are are told and the road to healing gives Darcy a path she’d thought would never happen. Redemption, love, forgiveness paves the way that all roads lead to home is where the heart is.

Overall, I thought this was a wonderful book that gives the reader beautiful story that leaves you feeling good. Everything characters brings something to the book that fits like a puzzle. No one is perfect. Those imperfections bring substance and depth that allow the characters to grow and embrace their journey. I think you will enjoy this one and recommend you adding to your tbr.