Holly Banks Full of Angst

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Dec 2019

Yep- Holly has a lot on her plate and she's stressed out. The last thing she needs is the condescending and icky behavior of the other moms at her kids' school.  This is mean girls grown up and while you might recognize some of the characters as people in your own life, this goes over the top too often to make it entirely relatable. I'll admit to laughing out loud more than once but also at growing weary as the novel moved along.   Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Holly's daughter Ella is starting kindergarden.holly and her family have just recently moved to a new community. I liked the whimsical feel . I also liked Holly's trials and triumphs.
This unfortunately wasn’t the book for me. The “quirkiness” became old after a while, and while the premise sounded interesting, it just couldn’t hold my attention.
For some reason, the writing in this novel did not keep my attention. Seemed funny but I wasn’t drawn to the story.
This book is absolutely hilarious but also shows the real ness of being a parent, specifically a mom. The sacrifices that are made and the anxiety and worry a mother has regarding their kid/s. This is a must read for any mother out there who feels the pressure to be that perfect Pinterest mom. It was so hard for me to put this book down and along with the real ness and rawness of parenthood that the book displayed, it also had me laughing out loud! Overall, it’s a super sweet and light hearted and absolutely hilarious read!
Hilarious Super Mom Satire. This is one of those books that non-perfect parents will LOVE, showing just how ridiculous the Super Moms of the world are and that no one is truly perfect. Truly the only reason I dinged this a star was because I personally just could not get into it due to being a childfree male that generally prefers to avoid kids... and this is all about a mother's struggles with her daughter's first week of Kindergarten. Great tale, well written, and I absolutely look forward to seeing more from this debut author in the future. Recommended.
Holly Banks isn’t a perfect mom. But she surely isn’t a bad one. Even though she brings her daughter late to the first day of kindergarden.
And hits the bus while being there.
In Pyjamas.

This was a fun, light read. But it wasn’t a story for me. I was absolutely stressed out when I read what happened in Hollys life.
Like absolutely. Stressed. Out.
And I didn’t really warm up with the whole style of the book.
The writing was fine, but sometimes I thought it was a little bit slow.

All in all it’s an okay book.
This one took me a bit to get into but once I did I really enjoyed it! It was so funny and I had a number of laugh out loud moments. The school mums troupe is always a fun one and Holly Banks is completely imperfect and out of place in the Primm community. And the volunteering part, although exaggerated, really struck a chord and it was just so entertaining. I had expected something different with their marital issues and this was also a fun twist.
I don't know how I feel about this novel. Seriously. When I thought I was reading one thing, it turned out to be something else entirely. If anything I don't think this book really showcased whatever 'angst' Holly was feeling but more of all the issues that she was facing: Packing up and moving to a new town, being a part of the PTA team at her daughter's new school, dealing with the possibility of her husband cheating with his new boss and a whole bunch of unnecessary drama filled nonsense that happened in the course of 1 week. Yes I said that right. 1 week. Too much was happening all at the same time during the course of the storyline that it just made it so unbelievable. Perhaps if it was more space out, the turnout rate would have been better but I just didn't find myself loving this book. At all- which was disappointing to say the least because I really thought this was going to be a knockout.
Holly Banks is the newest mom in the Village of Primm, and she's feeling the pressure. With over the top... well, everything - this book didn't quite resonate with me. Primm itself feels like an excessive stereotype of Pleasantville, or Stepford, and having hailed from a so-called-Stepford-suburb myself, the trope tired me out pretty quickly.

Holly herself feels ... less angsty, and more angry. She's got issues, yes. And sometimes the surface level issues (like wearing the wrong color to the PTA meeting) can feel like mountains when you're struggling with things, but I wanted more from Holly. For someone with such a strong internal monologue, I felt like she should've stood up for herself more! Made more waves! It was hard to distinguish the core of Holly's true feelings - while she seemed to WANT all of these things, her actions didn't quite match up. The premise itself seemed like a little bit of a stretch, too. But maybe it's just because I'm not in the place in life Holly is... I'm sure many newish moms who want the best out of life fall into the pitfalls of the shiny lavish 'burbs and all the majesty they seem to promise could relate! All in all, the petty-Peyton-Place setting & narrative arc missed the mark for me, a little too in-your-face for my person preferences!
I had a hard time with this book. Basicly, I didn't finish it..after about 40% I gave up and just sort of skimmed the rest. I really was looking forward to reading and was disappointed when I couldn't get into it. Nothing wrong with the writing or characters, I guess it just not my type of book. Because of this I am giving it a 4 star because the book is ok it's me that is the problem.
I’m so excited to share this book with you!! Holly Banks Full of Angst is just the funniest book ever!! You need to go get it right now, if you haven’t read it yet. It is officially is out today!! 💜 .

Holly and her family have just moved to the Village of Primm. Little does she realize just how much the “keeping up with the joneses” this neighborhood will make her. Is there a perfect Mom? .

Right from the beginning you can see how Holly always falls right in to the drama. She is one of those characters that will make you laugh out loud but feel for her because she really does just want everything to be perfect! You will enjoy this one! .

Thanks you to @julievalerieauthor and @lakeunionauthors for this advanced copy! Congrats lady!! You did great!!
Holly Banks is ready to start her life in her new house in her new town Primm. Determined to fit in and be the best mom she can be, things quickly take an unpleasant turn when Holly realizes that she's not ready for her daughter Ella to start Kindergarten. Getting her up and out the door for the bus proves to be easier said than done, not only that, she's being hounded by the PTA president to volunteer every single second. Throw in her mom who constantly needs to be bailed out and her husband who might lose his job, Holly's not so sure this new life is working out.

I really really wanted to love this book the plot is everything that I can relate to, not being ready for your kids to start school, struggling to keep it together when all the other moms seem perfect, dealing with baggage from your parents, trying so hard not to traumatize your kids but realizing you're doing exactly that. I struggled to love it because it takes place over one week, and in that one week, three months worth of catastrophes happen. If I had been Holly I would have run away. Holly was very relatable as a character, all of her struggles as a mom are things that most if not all moms have been through, especially the realization that eventually we all turn into our moms no matter how hard we try not to. It was funny with some sweet moments in the chaos.
What an incredible book, I loved this book. The characters were appealing and the writing style this book is something which stands out and I would definitely be interested more from this author.
What can I add to +1000 ratings? Nothing of value except to say that is OK, not great. A good choice for readers seeking a light read and mild expectations.

I really appreciate the review copy!!
An excellent novel, full of believable characters and an entertaining plot. Highly recommended. Plan on reading more books by this author.
Adorable cover and catchy title... and that's all this one had going for it.  So over the top and trying too hard to be funny.  I quit around the halfway point - I just couldn't force myself to finish.
As a mom in the middle of juggling volunteering and other kid-related things, this book was more relatable in a crazy exaggerated manner. Holly was funny and so human, with a ton of flaws and insecurities.  Her vision of her move to Primm was supposed to be perfect, with the perfect house and the perfect school where her daughter would start kindergarten. Life is rarely perfect, and people are not as perfect as they seem. Holly just couldn’t catch a break, and her insecurities compounded it and extend into all parts of her life.
This was not meant to be an accurate depiction, but more of an exaggerated look at what so many may feel as they are navigating parenthood. It kept me laughing and I kept turning pages to see what antics Holly would get into next. It was gratifying to watch her evolution during the week, especially as she started to realize that she and everyone around her are only human.
I enjoyed Julie Valerie’s debut and look forward to seeing what she tackles next.
Thank you to NetGalley for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
#HollyBanksFullofAngst #LakeUnionPublishing #JulieValerie
I've been a mom for nearly six years, and in that time, I've experienced an entire spectrum of emotions. From overwhelming, all-consuming love and elation to exhaustion, frustration and the oh-so-familiar mom guilt, raising two little humans has been a wild ride so far, and no one seems to understand that more than Holly Banks.

In Julie Valerie's hilarious and heartwarming new novel, Holly Banks Full of Angst, Holly and her family has just moved to the very proper Village of Primm, which epitomizes perfection. The school is perfect, the houses and lawns are perfect, and most of all, the moms are perfect. Kept in line by the picture-perfect PTA president herself, Mary Margaret St. James, the mothers of Primm are highly involved in their children's education and don't shy away from volunteering (or being pushed into volunteering by Mary Margaret, more accurately). A newcomer with a brand-new kindergartner, Holly is focused on unpacking, organizing her new home, making sure her daughter Ella adjusts to all-day school, and finding her bearings, but when she attends her first PTA meeting and states that she isn't ready to volunteer yet, she is thrust into the PTA politics of Primm where Mary Margaret steers the ship.

I fell in love with this book on such a personal level. It spoke to my soul as a mother, whether I was cackling as Holly feared Ella had channeled The Exorcist on the first day of school, or crying as she realized how fast her daughter was growing up, how much she needed to forgive her own mother for, and how good a mom she truly is. This book is for every and any kind of mother - the working one, the stay-at-home ones; the single ones; the ones who've had to carry their child out of a store, restaurant, school, or car because they did or did not want to do something; the ones who think all the other moms are more capable or adept at momming than they are; the ones who doubt their own abilities; the ones who are doing their very, very best every single day.

There is a little Holly in all of us, and I'm so thankful that Julie Valerie wrote this book because it celebrates mothers and shows us that we're all wonderful, just the way we are. Thank you to Julie Valerie, Lake Union Publishing, and Netgalley for an eARC of this beautiful novel in exchange for an honest review.
Want a light, funny story in between heavier reads? Check out Holly Banks Full of Angst by Julie Valerie.  This is one of those books that’s silly fun but relatable too. If you are a person who is trying to do it all but feel as though you are doing miserably, you will relate to Holly.

Holly Banks could not have made a worse first impression on the seemingly perfect moms in her new affluent community, the Village of Primm. Turns out wearing pink piggy pajama bottoms while dropping off her kindergartener late to the first day of school wasn’t her best look.

Not to mention Holly’s worried her husband may be having an affair, she can’t get her daughter to stop sucking her thumb, her hard-won film degree is collecting dust, and to top it all off, the power-hungry PTA president clearly has it in for her…

To make matters even worse, Holly’s natural eye for drama lands her smack-dab in the middle of a neighborhood mystery—right as her own crazy mother shows up in Primm “to help.” Through it all, Holly begins to realize her neighbors may be just as flawed as—and even wackier than—she is, leaving her to wonder: Is there such a thing as a perfect mom?

This reminds me of the craziness of trying to grocery shop, then driving around to pick up two kids from two different schools and arriving home to open the back of the car and having my groceries spill into the street while my neighbor looked on as he washed his car. This kind of stuff happened to me all the time, Holly is the type of person who would totally understand!

Read it now by going here! Free if you have Kindle Unlimited!