Cover Image: The Women

The Women

What appeared to be a little light reading turned into a psychological turn twister. Following the story of a young, impressionable girl lured into the web of a serial womaniser. A well spun tale that started off with a flash forward, which left me wondering where it had begun. You will soon find out.
I am a fan of this author and this book didn’t disappoint. Look forward to reading more.
I had heard so much about this book and I can completely understand why. It was a wonderfully gripping read that I found difficult to out down but also a read that stayed with me long after
This book was gripping from the start. There are so many twists and turns  that I had no idea how it could possibly  end. I loved it. Highly recommended
This had me hooked from the beginning.

Thoroughly enjoyed this psychological thriller, complete with plenty of twists to keep the reader guessing.

Looking forward to the next book by SE Lynes.
I liked how the book began. It really grabbed you from the beginning and sometimes that's the worst part to get through. This was definitely a great thriller that was easy to read and had you wondering what was going to happen when you were forced to put it down to go to work. I must say this is absolutely in my top 5 for this yea. Also, love the cover work on this. Beautiful, delicate flower against a dark background, very fore-brooding. Genius.
Thank you to the publisher and to Netgalley for allowing me to read this novel in exchange for an honest review.
What a great psychological thriller. The characters were believable, the storyline was compelling. You will be asking yourself a lot of questions. The characters are very realistic . This is a book full of lies , revenge, secrets your essential thriller requirements. A little bit of manipulation thrown in too!!
Superb!!! Dark, creepy and uncomfortable... with thrills and spills and reveals along the way. I worked out most of it but absolutely loved the atmospheric writing. Another fine specimen from this talented author!!! #fivestarread
This is a brilliantly tense, slow-burn of a psychological thriller.
With the opening showing us a future moment, we then go back to the start and follow Sam and Peter from the beginning of their relationship to find out how they got to that point. From the moment young, naive Sam meets charasmatic, older man Peter, she is swept off her feet into what she thinks is a whirlwind romance. But she slowly realises that the relationship is not as it seems and Peter is certainly not the person she believed he was.
As well as being a very good read, The Women is also a worryingly believable insight into how sometimes what you are led to believe, is nowhere near the truth.
Another Susie Lynes book which I could NOT put down. Exciting, scary, moments of unease and “Can’t you see what he’d doing to you?” A thoroughly recommended read.
very good psychological thriller!!!

Very easy to read, which is always an advantage for me as i can read books quicker! :)

the characters were very well developed and believable!!

For those of you who are a fan of psychological thrillers, this is your perfect summer beach read!
Ok, second book by this author and a good ride...

Samantha, the narrator, is so young and naive. At times it was a bit frustrating and painful to read. Peter, her partner, what a character!

This book keeps you on edge, it’s prickly. There is a decent suspect pool. I thought one thing and I was wrong (and somewhat right?!?).

The writing is very good. The characters are well plotted and decently layered. This makes you want to grab your daughters and talk to them...

I liked this story. It did take  a while to get going but it was worth the wait. The conclusion - perfect. I will look forward to the next by this author.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author, and Bookouture for a copy in exchange for a review.
I have to say – I was stunned by the opening – a real cracker and a ‘killer’ opening. I supposed - not guessed as the author didn’t give it away - that something fishy was going on and all was not as innocent as it seemed. This unnerving feeling just made the opening prologue all the better – How was the author going to make this all make sense? Reading on, I loved the writing and the style, it really is excellent and the author has true talent.
Having read and enjoyed Mother and Valentina I was looking forward to this one. I enjoyed the plot and I think the author has a real flair for articulating the manipulative and destructive methods some individuals can adopt in order to control others. Some reviewers have commented that the main character, Samantha, is weak. I just think she was very young, immature and naive and it’s easy to see how someone like Peter would dominate her.
I’m afraid though, that I found this one a little slow compared to the others I’ve read and I also guessed how it would end. I understand why it has high but it’s 3.5 stars for me.

My thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher for this copy.
I actually think it's impossible for SE Lynes to write a bad book, or even a mediocre one. Everything that pours from her pen is impeccably plotted, beautiful written and completely original - a feat not to be underestimated in the somewhat oversaturated genre of her choice. That said, it's unfair to simply label her work as 'thrillers' - because while her books are just that, thrilling and suspenseful to the max, they're also intricately drawn observations with shimmering prose and wonderful characterisation thrown in, too. In other words, they're a cut above - and The Women doesn't let the side down one bit.

A timely tale in the #metoo era, this is a book about control and abuse and what happens when the women on the receiving end are pushed too far. This is a slow burn, darkly clever, often disturbing thing, with many strands spun deftly together, and it's all the better for being so. And the ending, well. I was blown away.

Another winner from SE - now to start counting down the months until her next book!

My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.
S.E. Lynes always spins a good tale & The Women is no exception. Samantha Frayn is just finishing her English degree at UCL. Whilst at a get together for new students she meets the charming Peter. He is the charismatic History of Art professor. Suave, worldly, charming, he sweeps Samantha off her feet' She can't believe that this man could possibly be interested in her, but who could resist the classic sports car, the luxury flat, the compliments, the affection- certainly not Samantha! Before long they have a baby & Peter is suggesting she does some teaching. It is whilst marking her poetry class's homework that she finds an extra poem, one that is a warning that her world may not be as good as she'd thought!

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who longed to tell Samantha from the start that this would not end well! By the time she really looks at her life Peter has exerted a huge control over her. The scene at the very beginning of the book about their trip to Rome when Samantha seems to be more in control -but how & why? S E Lynes tantalises the reader & as always I couldn't put the book down until I'd answered those questions.

Thanks to Netgalley & the publishers for letting me read this terrific five star book.
This book was interesting. Not what I’d call a page turner but still a brisk read. The characters were well developed and likeable. There were certain components of the storyline that were hard to fathom initially, however the author always remedied those situations in the end tying everything up into a neat, little package. Another aspect of this book that I liked was the “girl power” camaraderie. #thewomen #netgalley
Oh I love S.E. Lynes's writing.  Bit of a fangirl moment for you! I've read nearly every book she's written (bar one which is on my #15BooksofSummer list) and you can always guarantee it's going to be brilliant and hard to put down.  The Women is Susie's latest book and was published by Bookouture on 22nd May.  I received a free eARC of The Women but that has in no way influenced my review.

First thing I want to say about this book is I love the cover! If I weren't already a huge S.E. Lynes fan then there's a good chance I would be picking up The Women based purely on that brilliant blurb and the stunning cover.  The book opens with Samantha and Peter (plus their baby, Emily) on their honeymoon in Rome.  The opening is wonderfully tense and sets the scene perfectly.  I was intrigued by what had gone before and I couldn't wait to discover this couple's story.  And what a story it is.

The reader is then flung back in time to when Peter and Samantha first met.  Professor Peter Bridges makes Samantha feel as though she's the only woman in the world at a boring University party.  He treats her with respect, listens intently to every word she says and makes her the centre of his universe.  Samantha rapidly falls head over heels in love with Peter.  He's a class above the men (boys!) she usually meets with his expensive red wine, limitless supplies of cash, his elegant and sophisticated home and his sporty vintage midnight-blue Porsche.  Before long Peter has suggested Samantha moves in with him, which she does leaving BBF and housemate, Marcia, on her own.  Life is good for Samantha.  Or is it?

What a great story this is with possibly one of the most unpleasant characters I have ever met in a novel.  Peter is such a cliche and so utterly repulsive.  Lynes has done an excellent job in making him so abhorrent - gah!  He made my skin crawl, I was frequently cringing with how revolting he was.  I was so desperate for sweet, trusting Samantha to see the light. To realise she was better than the life she was settling for, that not everything was how it seemed - not even to her - and for her to remove baby Emily from her obnoxious father's influence.

It's very difficult to say anything about this book without spoiling it for new readers.  I will say, however, that the ending of this book was perfect.  Had it ended any differently then I think I would have been disappointed.  But Lynes has told her story with sensitivity (maybe not when it comes to Peter) and with wonderful little surprises along the way which made me despise 'Peter the idiot' even more.

Would I recommend this book? I would, yes.  S.E. Lynes is a great writer and I urge you to read absolutely everything she has written (particularly Valentina).  This is a beautifully written book with bucketloads of emotion.  S.E. Lynes is a skilled and accomplished writer whose books I will return to again and again and again.  Recommended.

I chose to read and review an eARC of The Women.  The above review is my own unbiased opinion.
This novel totally blew me away!

I love finding a new author who has an exceptional storytelling gift.

One where you start the first book you’ve read by them and you are enthralled immediately and can’t wait until you can pick it back up again and throw yourself into a different world full off deceit, psychological manipulation and eventual revenge.

The Women was packed with punches throughout and turning the page your gasping at the next reveal.

This book was astounding! It was a mix of pleasure, shock and humour  while feeling the characters pain and sufferance in excusal measure. It has so many layers that become apparent and twists that makes you feel your on the waltzer at the fair!
Fabulous storyline!
Another new favourite author!

Thank you Bookouture and NetGalley for allowing me to read this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Thrilling read that will keep you on the edge of your seat. It was well written and flowed well and was easy to read. One you won’t want to end
OOO y'all this was such a good one! My first book from S.E. Lynes and I am so excited to read more! It was an excellent read, with suspense all the way through. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters as well, they were so complex!