What's Killing My Chickens?

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Nov 2019

This is a "how-to" detective manual for identifying chicken-killer predators.  Now that I've read it, I'm ready to help my friends who keep chickens the next time a chicken is eaten.  And I recommended this book to them, too;  we will figure it out instead of just guessing like in the past.
An interesting book on the different predators that attack and kill chickens. The book helps give clues to read, including the appearance of the feathers, to reflect which predator it is. It also gives ways to determine by what is killed (adult, chick, egg) and also ways to protect the poultry. It is interesting to see that the focus is on how to make it safer, but not necessarily killing the predators. A good reference book for anyone who is considering raising a few chickens, turkeys, ducks or geese, and ways to keep them safe from predators. The book is easy to read and it is one I highly recommend.
I have had raptors take my chickens, one horrible week, when five were eaten day by day by a red tailed hawk.

We still have the hawks in our neighborhood, but fortunately the crows and the roosters keep them at bay.

Living in a rural area means that there are foxes and mountain lions, and hawks, to name a few, that want to feast on my chickens. For the most part I know who is hunting them. But I once lost three banton chickens to an unknown predator, who I always assumed as an owl, as they got out after dark, but I never found any remains.

So, I thought this book would be helpful, and it is, very much so. It is probably too much information, if anything. There are stories of how to trace the predator by what it leaves behind, what the footprints might be like, and what to do about it all

If anything, it is all a little overwhelming, as there are things that you might never run into such as alligators or bears.

But the advice is good, and will probably help someone who has lost any amount of chickens to the great outdoors.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.