Not Quite Dead

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jul 2019

Since I have been in the medical field since I was 15 I love reading medical related books. This one sure was interesting. Thanks NetGalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!
All round a very good read. I found this book to be very interesting from the medical aspect and sympathetic to the hours the medical staff put in.

I feel that the author could have gone further with the main characters into their private lives. I would have liked to know more about Autumn and Cassidy's backgrounds and go deeper into each character.. But saying that, the story had me reading until the early hours to find out "Who Dunnit".
I really liked this book.  It was interesting to see the other side of interns and residents.  The plot line is definitely something that could happen.  Pharmaceutical companies want to make their meds street legal asap for their continued wealth.  I liked that Dr Johnson followed her gut instinct to find out what happened to the guy she was seeing.  The characters were well written in this book and would love to read more from this author.  Thanks for the ARC, Net Galley.
Not Quite Dead was a throwback to the novels of Robin Cook.  It's a pretty standard medical thriller set in a Boston Hospital.  The star of the novel is Autumn, an intern whose boyfriend, Jay, lands in the ICU with an unexpected toxin in his blood.  She thinks that there might be something shady happening with the drug trial on which Jay has been working, and she sets out to learn the truth.

The novel was well written and the suspense was solid, but personally, I got bored by the overwhelming amount of medical minutiae.  For readers who enjoy medical thrillers, Not Quite Dead is well worth your time.  It just wasn't for me.

My thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
It has been awhile since I read a medical mystery.  Now I wonder what other gems I have missed.  This is a mystery that feels more like a caring friend that wonders why Jay ends up in ICU.  The story flows nicely with plenty of medical details on others in the hospital and the staff.  So it doesn't seem at all intrusive when the intern pokes around.  I thought the story was well done with a good ending.   enjoyed the book.
Thank you Netgalley and publisher for this ARC

I like a medical thriller so thought this would be up my street so to speak and it was.

The storyline was interesting and really well paced but there was a lot of medical jargon, some I understood and some I didn't.  The intrigue and suspense were good and kept me interested.  Overall I would recommend this book.

This was the first book I have read by Dawn Sherling so I await others.

Reviewed on Amazon
Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
I haven't read a huge amount of medical thrillers and I was so excited to get my hands on this book and dive into a genre I wasn't that familiar with. I hit a few problems, although the book was interesting and fast paced... my main issue was the fact that I didn't understand more than half of the medical jargon used. I seriously couldn't keep up with it and found it difficult to focus because I wasn't always sure what was going on.

I would recommend this book, but unless you are a medical thriller veteran, some of the language might be tough to get through.

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

Not Quite Dead is a medical thriller book.     There is a lot of medical terminology in this book which may be confusing or difficult to keep up with for some people.  I personally love medical themed books, so this was a hit for me!
Grey’s Anatomy meets CSI. This book was extremely enjoyable and delightfully different than my normal reads. It was refreshing to read something new.
Thank you for the advanced reading copy from NetGalley.

I love thrillers, medical dramas, and a good mystery with plot turns and twists. I thought I'd love this book more than I did. While I enjoyed the mystery parts of it, I got bogged down in the medical terminology, and the plethora of information that seemed to detract from the pacing of the plot itself.
I liked the multiple points of view approach, I enjoyed the characters as I got to know them, and I did enjoy the ending once it got there. It took me a lot longer than usual due to the details that slowed me down.
A decent read, with lots of detail and information, but overall a solid mystery thriller.
Thrilling read that will keep you on the edge of your seat. It was well written and flowed well and was easy to read. One you won’t want to end
This medical thriller starts fast and doesn’t let up.  The story is told from multiple points of view.  It is a page turner.  I love a good medical thriller and this is a good one.  It is an inside look at the world of the hospital intern and resident.  My one comment recommending this book is that it has a lot of medical jargon and, unless the reader is familiar with the terms and medical conditions, (which I am) they might be confused and lost at times.  I hope this is a new series and that we get to see these very likable characters again!
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley.

I did not enjoy this book as much as I expected to. I love murder mysteries and thrillers. I also love medical dramas so I figured I would enjoy a medical thriller. And do not get me wrong I did actually enjoy the mystery and thriller aspects of this book. The plot was decent but I kept getting bored due to how the story was bogged down with medical terminology that I wasn’t sure was actually required. It often felt like an information overload. Don’t get me wrong some of the information was good and gave a lot of insight into the difficulties of the medical profession and interns and how little mistakes can have big consequences. However sometimes the overflow of information took the excitement from the story and made it instead kind of drag and lose the readers interest. You just don’t need step by step accounts on how to do medical procedure or the way drugs work for the regular reader.

I did however enjoy the multiple points of view in the story and I did enjoy the characters that were introduced. I also felt satisfied by how the mystery ended and found the book well written if a bit dense due to all the medical terminology and overflow of unnecessary medical information. Overall I give this book 3.5 stars.
I love thrillers but have mostly delved into legal or regular crime thrillers. This medical thriller was equally appealing to me, just as the world of science and medicine is. It's not just the story of an intern trying to accommodate herself in the midst of life and death, but it is also about her courage and determination to keep learning from her mistakes during her residency.

I read books with a purpose to learn something new from them, and there was much to learn from the characters of Autumn Johnson and others who struggle every day to find a balance as life-saving doctors. They need to be persistent in terms of both the physical strength and the mental strength. It's a fine balance to maintain in a rushed life, especially when you're personally linked to patients who're on the verge of dying.

While this book is informative about the medical life, it also doesn't disappoint on the thrill aspect. I loved the scenes that kept me hooked all through. As a thriller lover, I knew the culprit half way through the book, but that's the art of thriller writing - to steer the reader to a wonderful climax. There is no way I'd not recommend this awesome medical thriller to readers. Go for it any day!
An interesting medical thriller with lots of medical detail and well developed characters. It held my interest and kept me guessing.
Being a medical student I usually try to stick with books in other genres instead of medicine. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this book! I like how it intertwined the realities of medicine with solving a mystery. I also appreciated that the medicines and procedures done in the hospital were realistic instead of grossly exaggerated. If you want a book that enticing and an easy read, I would recommend this book!
What an amazing thriller! Absolutely loved the storyline and the heroes.  The writer spins a beautiful tale abd draws you in slowly but surely.
This is a competent addition to the medical thriller category, but it didn't ignite much interest from me.  The details about med students and pharmaceutical research were good but I felt that this story has been told before in more exciting ways.
A superb read!  A gem!

Autumn Johnson is a struggling first year resident (intern) who dates Jay Abrams a few times. When Jay is admitted to the hospital with a life-threatening heart problem, Autumn is in the ICU with her supervisor, Cassie. Reviving Jay takes twice as long as Cassie should have attempted, yet she does manage to get a heartbeat. Autumn faints when she finds out the patient is Jay.

Jay's mother and step-father seem a bit more refined than Jay's father, Larry. They all clash when a decision has to be made as to Jay's future.

But the question is - why would a healthy 27 year old man go into cardiac arrest? Suicide? Drugs? Jay had been working on his PhD/MD and was close to the end of his research.

Cassie thinks a digoxin overload may have caused the event. Autumn thinks the plant, foxglove, had something to do with Jay's situation. Mark, an intern buddy of Autumn, plays detective with Autumn and the help of a patient who is an ex-detective. Meanwhile, Cassie is desperately looking for Xanax from a shady pharm rep, Chris.

A definite MUST READ! Suspenseful and enjoyable.

Highly recommend!!!

Many Thanks to IBPA and NetGalley for a great read!