Cover Image: Keto: A Woman's Guide

Keto: A Woman's Guide

I am not doing the keto diet at present but I have thought a lot about it and have read several books.  My friend is doing it and losing weight.  Another friend also had great success until she got breast cancer and now that she is in remission she is doing a modified keto diet.
I found this book fascinating and enjoyed learning more about cyclical metabolic rates and women’s bodies in general.  I think if I were going to indulge the keto lifestyle this book would be my number one book to ramp up into a keto diet.  I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would!
Easy to follow book. Fantastic explanation on each section so you know what your doing and why. Many thanks to both NetGalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this in exchange for my honest unbiased review.
Highly recommended book..
I am very fascinated with all things health and nutrition so I found this to be a very interesting read. I enjoy the scientific side of this field so the more details, the more I enjoy it. This book seems to very well researched and includes a plethora of details on the diet and how to integrate it into your life. I enjoyed that the author doesn't seem to be crazy anti-carbs like some keto authors our. I have found benefits of the past when I cut out sugar and carb heavy food, however, I am not a fan of excluding fruit, vegetables, and healthy grains and find that when I do my health suffers and I have noticed this in everyone around me who has attempted it as well. So my low carb is more liberal than keto. Metcalf adds the importance of exercise or burning more calories than you are consuming and how women are different hormonally as well, which means every one can react different to a diet.  Overall, I feel like the book was pretty well written and was an enjoyable read.
Keto is a new things to me. But as a woman who struggles with hormone balance I can’t wait to give this book a try. I am hoping that it will prove very useful.
This book was chock full of info on women and the keto diet,hormones and metabolism.  It was great and being on a keto type diet, a big help for me as well.  It was a tad technical for me but the information was excellent and extremely useful!!! Great suggestions!
Finally a book that is written for females, because of course there is such huge difference between the female and male bodies and if you are Keto inspired, this one is written by a female, for females.

This book concentrates on the "Fundamentals of the Female Body" and therefore the "Implementation of the Keto Diet".

It is, as the author says,  a nutritional guidebook for keto explicitly written with the female body in mind.  Metabolism is talked about in the first part of the book, as we all know, metabolism works very differently for females than it does for males.  Hormones also is a talked about subject, as they play such an important role when starting any kind of diet change.

This book is a wonderful guide when contemplating starting on the Keto journey.  As the title says, it is a Woman's Guide for Keto,  a wealth of information for not just starting out but keeping very well informed.  This is not a recipe book but more a reference book.

Thanks to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group - Fair Winds Press for the opportunity to read and review this book.
An excellent book on the Ketogenic diet for women.  It’s very comprehensive and has tons of information from explaining the Keto diet right through to hormones, macronutrients etc.  The book feels really complete as though the author has covered all bases and given the reader a lot to think about and practices to put in place.  I found this book extremely informative, in fact I am going to read it again to make sure I didn’t miss anything.  This is a really useful book to have in your Keto arsenal and I definitely recommend it, well worth of 5 stars.
Great book, good recipes for a woman who is just embarking on her keto journey. Thanks so much, very helpful and good guidance.
This book is for you if you want the maximum information on how your body and hormones work while on keto.
I personally prefer to have a lot of technical information especially if the subject is nutrition and diet.
I personally found this book combined with Dr. Berg's YouTube channel a fantastic well of wisdom.

Thank you Netgalley for granting my wish! ✨
This book gives a detailed breakdown of the Keto diet and how to make it work for the female body. There are no recipes, but it does tell you how and what you should eat. It also has supplement section (which is key) and what you can expect while doing keto (even how to avoid the "keto flu."  While this book was super informative, I found it a little too clinical for my taste. For those who want to get deep into the science behind keto, this is your book.

*I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher for an honest review."
Firstly, This book is not a recipe book, for those wanting recipes if they are or are considering doing the metro diet!
Secondly I dipped in and out of the book rather than reading it cover to cover, I personally found it to be something that a sports and exercise uni student would have on the module spec reading list.  The book is full of very scientific information about the Keto diet and how it affects the body etc, a good book but not something I would buy myself, that said I am sure nutritious and those who study/teach sports and exercise would get a lot from it.
We women are different than men in so many ways, and our diet is just one of them.  We deal with hormones from puberty, pregnancy and menopause that present challenges beyond merely aging.  In this book, the author provides a view into some of these differences and how we can deal with them on Keto.

The reason I wanted to read this book is because of the section on Thyroid health.  I’ve read that you can do keto with hypothyroidism, but mostly I’ve heard that you shouldn’t.  It was good to read more about doing keto in menopause as well.  Lots of different issues for women and it’s good to read up on them.

If you’re new to the ketogenic diet, the book also has a primer to help you understand keto, macronutrients and so on.  All in all, it’s a good resource for both women who are new to keto and those of us that are a bit more seasoned and looking to understand some of the unique challenges we face.
A great guide for anyone who wants to go much more in-depth regarding the keto diet and how it works for women and our specific needs. This is definitely for someone who already has all the basic information and the recipe books and wants to learn more. I wouldn't recommend it for someone just starting out, because it may be overwhelming.
Keto: A Woman's Guide gives a lot of fantastic information about how this diet and women's hormones work. Great suggestions and basic information on the diet.
Finally a book that takes in to account that women’s bodies are different and that we diet and burn fat differently.  The section on Hormone imbalance is very informative. This is everything a woman needs to know to begin the Keto diet.
I've only read a couple of keto cook books so far which have the basics on the keto diet within them and then lots of recipes so I was interested in this for going deeper and also for focusing on how it affects females (as I am one) however for me it went a little too deep and I got very lost in places. I think this is probably an excellent book and very informative but for me I needed something a lot simpler to read to start with before tackling this one.

When you go on vacation in Atlantic City and for days it rains, flash floods and there is even a tornado, you read a lot of books and write the reviews to upload when you are home.  LOL.  Here we go again -

One size does not fit all when it comes to the ketogenic diet. Keto: A Woman's Guide offers a balanced approach to using the keto diet to optimize hormonal balance and body composition, customizable to your specific dieting goals.

Women need to do keto better and smarter to get the health and fat-burning benefits they are seeking. Men and women have different energy requirements, different levels of hormones, and metabolize nutrients differently. With the soaring popularity of low-carb diets in recent years there has also come a lot of confusing and misleading information—and very few resources that consider the unique physiology of women on a ketogenic diet. Keto: A Woman's Guide addresses the misconceptions and discrepancies to give you a clear path to keto success.

Ketogasm website and blog creator, Tasha Metcalf, outlines the fundamental differences between male and female keto dieters, how to correctly determine your calorie and nutrient needs, and how to adapt the appropriate approach for your particular keto dieting strategy, whether for fat-burning and weight loss, reversing insulin resistance and PCOS, athletic performance, thyroid health, and/or balancing your hormonal cycle. She also explains the ketogenic diet phases, their particular lengths and objectives, and actionable steps for getting the most out of each phase of the diet.

With Keto: A Woman's Guide as your trusted source, meet your individual keto goals with a diet plan custom fit for your body.

This is a very technical book - a very technical book -  I cannot stress that enough.  If you are on Keto and it is not working, this very detailed book might help you to figure out what you are doing wrong (I did! it was my hormones that needed to be worked with) but if you are looking in to keto for the first time, I would recommend another "basic keto" book (there are thousands, and many of them are free at Amazon's Kindle store and I can assure you that your local library has them as well ) to get the gist of the diet and then this to refine it. You will thank me as the first few days' "Keto Flu" will make you question your sanity, for sure!

Miss Metcalf's book is very well written and meticulously researched, it is just "too much" for the average curious reader and library patron. It deserves 3.5 stars (hey, 70% is beyond a passing grade) but I am going to round it down to 3 as $27 CAD/$20USD is a lot to spend if it only confuses the average reader. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millennials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 	🥓🥓🥓

NOTE: I cannot link this review to LinkedIn - there is something wrong with the linking/programming and it will not happen.
This book is flooded with information with a few diagrams. A lot of key points on Keto for Women I will be sure to check out.

This book is perfect for anyone wanting the science and biology behind the Keto lifestyle. It’s a fascinating read that really shows how complex it really is. It’s something I know a number of friends would enjoy reading and the book itself would benefit from a companion recipe book.