Someone Is Lying

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Jun 2019

Great teaser, easily pulled me into the story making me ask questions wondering which way the story will go next. Interesting characters some who are flawed which always makes things more interesting!
One year ago Erica Spencer died in what appeared to be a tragic accidental fall down a flight of stairs at a Halloween party in the privileged gated community she lived in called Severn Oaks. But someone doesn't believe that it was an accident and shares on Facebook their plans to share a podcast on Erica's death which will prove it was no accident and identify 6 possible suspects.
Everyone in this gated community seems to have secrets and the podcasts' creator certainly seems to be privy to many of them.
Lots of twists and turn and petty bitchiness which I loved and great character-driven writing!
4 stars and thanks to Netgalley for the arc.
This was the taster and covered the first few chapters.  I was lucky enough to have the full novel as an ARC as well.

Please see my full review.  Awesome read
Such a good opening! I loved the way we met all the characters and personalities, and the set up for the rest of the story is gripping. Thanks for the taster, can't wait to read the book!
Thanks to Netgalley for the teaser to Someone is Lying fo an honest review.
I must admit I didn’t realise at the time I started reading this that it was a teaser.
A good start to a story but quite a few characters, which sometimes gets a bit confusing I’m guessing that this isn’t as much of an issue once you get further into the book .
Hard to say whether I’d recommend this from such a small sample.I would however, continue reading should I get the chance.
What a start for great story for sure. I need to read the whole book because the first chapters have really got me hooked. Definitely a gripping thriller.
Absolutely gripping taster of the first five chapters of ‘Someone is Lying’. To leave on such a cliffhanger!
I must now read the rest of the book- off to buy this one straightaway. 😁
Thanks to NetGalley for introducing me to this excellent new book  in exchange for an honest reviewer
Really enjoyed this teaser, looks like it a great story so am now going to purchase the book in order to find out what happens next!
After reading a teaser for this book I am very much intrigued as to who the 6! And what happens next.  Waiting on tenterhooks
A great teaser of what is set to be a very twisty, turny thriller. You can already see the dynamic between the main characters, and it definitely made me eager to read on.
Didn't realise this was a teaser when I requested it.  Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed those first few chapters and would certainly look forward to reading the whole book.
I am going to admit that it is hard to write a review for a sampler of the first five chapters. I think most of us have be stung by an amazing first few chapters, only for the rest of the book to go downhill.

But these first five chapters hugely intrigues me. I love a good murder mystery and with the idea of using our recent love for social media and True Crime podcasts (such as Serial and My Favourite Murder), it will be interesting to see how the truth slowly comes out.

I think my only concern is that people might compare this to Big Little Lies. But as I have read another book with similar Big Little Lies vibes via NetGalley recently - Sanctuary by VV James - and it added something new to the "Mums at the Schoolgate" thrillers so I'm very intrigued to see what this does...
This is sadly only a teaser, but I can see it has the potential to be a huge hit this summer. There is, however, a large cast of characters, so I am unsure of whether that will work or not as it is impossible to really tell through such a small excerpt.
Someone Is Lying is a standalone psychological thriller.  Set in an exclusive gated community called Severn Oaks the story revolves around Erica Spencer, a resident of Severn Oaks who tragically died in an accident the previous year which has affected all the neighbours deeply.  When an anonymous post appears on the local Facebook Page claiming Erica's death was no accident and announcing a podcast which will prove who killed Erica over the next few weeks the residents start to panic, especially as each and every one of them have secrets and lies which they will do anything to keep hidden.

With a large cast of characters it is easy to get slightly confused at the beginning of the story, but it didn't take me long to get totally and utterly gripped by the story line.  There were several twists which I really didn't see coming and once again Jenny Blackhurst proves she really can write a superb, psychological thriller.
I am a huge fan of this author. If this is a taste of things to come I can't wait to read more. Definitely another page turner. You have left me hanging by a thread. Please don't make me wait too long. I think it will be another five star read.
I would like to thank the author, Headline and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review
Someone is lying is a book full of suspense, thrills, chills, twists and turns a plenty. Like physiological thrillers you will love this.
i'm a huge fan of Jenny Blackhurst and I was so excited to read the sampler for her new book. The prologue is intriguing and the chapters included in the sampler are an introduction to presumably the main players ... one of whom is definitely lying. I'm so looking forward to reading the full book!!
Ok, I hadn’t realised this was only five chapters. I thought when it said TEASER in the title that it meant we were getting the first look in with an ARC. I’ve never come across this before, and it was very frustrating.
The prologue is really gripping, written in the voice of someone who is already dead, and it is her murder that we are going to be investigating throughout the book.
It’s very hard to leave a review on only five chapters, as I have read books in the past that were good to start off with but then went downhill fast and vice versa. This starts off good, but I can’t endorse it without reading the whole thing.
Interesting premise and a good start but that’s all I can say! The stars given don't really mean anything as can't really rate it.
HOOKED from start to finish! This teaser is wanting me to read more and I cannot wait for the book to be released.  Definitely going to be a future purchase!
 The school mom mentality was relatable to many who had been at the school gates of any school and the hook at the end of chapter five was one leading me to want more.
 The use of social media is another element which I loved, social media (may we love it or hate it) is now a part of society and can come with it's own limitations and problems.  I do not know of many authors who can include social media without it feeling just added to bring the story into the modern day, however, I applaud Jenny Blackhurst as this has truly excited me to see how it is developed further in this story and felt more like a necessity to the story rather than an "add-on" side thought.
  For anyone who enjoys a good crime/thriller/mystery genre this will be right up your alley. Cannot wait for the release of this book.
From what I've read (prologue and the first five chapters), it seems to be a psychological with great potential.  I can't wait to read the full book, hopefully it'll be as gripping as this teaser.