Our Last Goodbye

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 May 2019

It’s lovely to read a good historical story and this one is superb and beautifully written.

May is such a relatable and likeable character. It’s been so difficult for her with her mother’s death, family secrets, and her father’s indifference. She’s really an admirable person though, as she follows her dreams to train as a nurse.

The account of her days working as a nurse is fascinating and insightful. She meets Richard, a hospital porter, and is instantly drawn to him. He’s a kind and gentle character and the love grows between them in spite of May’s reservations. But of course, in wartime nothing is straightforward, and there are difficult times ahead.

I really enjoyed this book and was sorry to say goodbye to the characters when it finished. I have, however, bought the prequel to it, which tells the story of her friend Etty, so I can look forward to another wonderful book.

Highly recommended for anyone who loves a story of love and life in wartime. It’s a book that will completely draw you in and not let go until the last page.
A nice, easy read. Great characters and a heartwarming story. I didn't realise it was part of a series but I didn't feel I had missed a lot by not reading the first book. Without going into too much detail, one scene will make more sense to people who have read both but overall, it can be read standalone in my option.
This was such a lovely book to read I found it so nice but also sad as I’m sure that a lot of what went on in the book actually happened in wartime! It was an easy, gentle read and I read it extremely quickly.
The characters gave you a picture of life in the Second World War, of the rationing and the queues for food and the hardships people endured. It made me actually realise how fortunate I am to have been born in the era I was and not during the fighting.
My thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for my opportunity to read this free book in return for an honest review.
Today’s featured book is Our Last Goodbye by Shirley Dickson and I would like to thank both NetGalley and Bookouture (the publisher) for providing me with this free e-book in exchange for an honest review.  This was a lovely shortish book to read whilst soaking up some winter sun.

So what is this book about?
It’s May 1943 and following her mother’s tragic death, May decides to become a nurse and do her part to help others. Over the course of the book she falls in love and has to make a choice about what is most important to her.

What I liked . . .
A war story that wasn’t focused on fighting. Yes the war impacted May’s life and some of the decisions she made, but the focus was on her and the decisions that she had to make.
The friendships. May had some of the nicest friends and I wish when I’m at that stage of life I’ll have friends just like them.

What I didn’t like . . .
Not knowing it was book two until the end. This was my fault, I hadn’t done research. And really I think it was more of a companion novel than a sequel, but there was one scene that made a whole lot more sense knowing that it was a sequel.
Romance. I’m currently over romance in novels, so this is just a pet peeve at the moment rather than anything wrong with the book. It was a sweet relationship but I’m just sick of them. And technically I didn’t properly read the blurb, so this one’s on me.

Conclusions
My Rating 💭/2engagement  💭/2enjoyment
Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️.25/5

This book was a nice winter read. It was a book about friendship and choices and the way they impact our lives. If you’re interested in World War II novels about friendships and tough choices, the book is out now, so go track down a copy for yourself.
Thanks to NetGalley for an early copy in return for an honest review
A very good read and one I can highly recommend to others.
I could not put this down.
Thoroughly enjoyable with an amazing cast of characters that you cannot help but engage with.
A fascinating WW2 saga style story. May loses her mother in a tragic accident, her father kicks her out and she has to be independent over night. May’s life is hard, but she decides to keep moving forward and trains as a nurse. Here she meets a young conscientious objector working as a porter. May likes him but the fact he is a conchie is a big problem!
If you like WW2 and the Home Front, this book is a great read!
I didn’t get a chance to read this one before it was archived but I purchased it because I loved Shirley’s first book so much. I ended up reading it in two days because I couldn’t put it down. I was thrilled to find that this book was a continuation of the lives of the characters in her first book. It was lovely to continue the story of May and see familiar characters along the way.. It felt as though I had truly been with them through the years. Definitely recommend this one and can’t wait to read more of Shirley Dicksons work!
3.5 stars. This was such an emotional story. The hardships that May had to overcome were just never ending. I loved her as a character and I feel like all of the characters were very well developed. The romances for me seemed a little rushed and I'm not sure I was really invested in them. I feel like the ending was solid and satisfying. A pet peeve of mine was the over use of the phrase "in his/her/my minds eye".
There have been a great deal of books lately about WWII and as a fan of historical fiction, I have enjoyed them all.  This book was one of my favorites....well written it "grabbed" me right from the beginning.  Certainly, I look forward to Ms. Dickson's next book!  My thanks to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
May has taken her mother out for a film to celebrate her birthday, but fog and the blackout lead to her mother falling off the curb and being hit by a trolley. . Devastated and feeling very alone, May is just moving through life, with no real firm plans, only a vague belief that she will, one day, be reunited with Billy and marry.  But with her father having moved on to another woman, and her own position in the house jeopardized, she’s decided to take a chance at being a nurse. Egged on by her best friend, she takes the exams and is accepted into a rigorous training programme, one where she finds friends and hard work make her feel a part of things.

During her time as a trainee nurse, there is one porter who always seems to be about and around: but her friendship with him is frought with difficulties. He’s a conscientious objector, and while there are sparks between them, and he’s always watching out for her – her own beliefs and quick judgments mean that she’s not always kind. Discovering more secrets from her best friend and her supposed fiancé, needing to tell her brother (evacuated to a farm up north) about the death of her mother and his own actual birth parent, and a relationship with a man who seeks more to control than love her, May is full of contradictions and confusion.

Through it all, May weathers on and tries to make the best decisions for herself and her future in a very uncertain time. From discovering her talent for nursing and her ‘blunt honesty’ a knife that cuts through most superficial interactions, her growth and determination stand out to make her a heroine of her own story. Taking on her troubles with a sense of ‘get on with it’, May seems to epitomize the ‘keep calm and carry on’ of a duck – paddling like mad where none can see – while outwardly she is simply moving forward.  A lovely story that contains great  personal tragedies and triumphs that is set against the second world war, this is a story full of hope and optimism that holds a sense of days gone by, with plenty of moments to stir the emotions.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Review first appeared at   I am, Indeed
During WWII, May loses her mum tragically, going forward with her life as well as she can. Meeting Richard while working as a nurse, she meets a porter, Richard, with secrets of his own. May's confidence grows and she evolves into a caring young woman. Well written and poignant.
What an immense emotional journey this book takes you on.
A wonderful saga of love and friendship. I shed tears of happiness and sadness. The authors writing style brought the pages to life.
An emotional and compelling read
Our Last Goodbye by Shirley Dickson is the story of May during WWII England. May seems to loose everyone she loves. When she tells her fiancé she is pregnant, he joins the Army and is killed in action. Her Mom is raising May's son as her own and sends him away during the Blitz. Then she is killed in a trolly accident one foggy night. Her Dad immediately finds another woman to live with, and they kick her out of her home. Her only constant is her dear friend Etty, and even Etty has a secret that could destroy their relationship.

May is accepted into nursing training where she meets Richard who is a conscientious objector who works in the hospital where she is training. At first she is appalled that a young man can see the human toll war takes and not join the fight. As she gets to know him, there is an attraction that cannot be denied. When she tells him she is carrying his baby, he leaves her to join the fighting as a medic. He is part of the Normandy invasion. Their journeys require courage and forgiveness. While I don't agree with their morals, it is a tender story of survival and love during a traumatic war time.
Our Last Goodbye by Shirley Dickson.  May and Richard had a wonderful romance.   Trying to be a nurse in wartime was totally different. Nurses had to live up to different rules and expectations than today.
Our Last Goodbye is another unputdownable and emotional World War II story by Shirley Dickson. I didn’t realize, at first, when I picked up this story to read that it is actually a sequel to The Orphan Sisters, which I absolutely loved. This time around we learn more about May and her life during the war that begins shortly after the ending of The Orphan Sisters.

Shirley Dickson has such a way of easily drawing you into a story with her beautifully written text that is both honest and heartfelt. I really felt as if I was transported back in time and it reminds me of certain phrasing my grandmother would say and the old black and white movies my grandmother would make me watch on the weekends when I was young. Dickson really captures the time period and her writing feels so genuine and flows so effortlessly and beautifully.

I really loved May’s story and found her to be such a sweet and innocent character that always sees the good in people even if she was a bit naive at times. Reeling from her mother’s death, May makes a journey of discovery when she decides to join the war effort and become a nurse. Here is where the story really takes off and May slowly starts to come into her own and how she learns what she is really capable of achieving. In the process, May meets a man, Richard, who she can’t seem to stay away from or stop thinking of. Will may ever find her place in this world and a love unlike one she has ever known or felt?

Our Last Goodbye will take you on a rollercoaster of emotions. Once again Shirley Dickson has captured my heart in her stories. Dickson is truly a gifted author who will pull every emotion out of you while reading her books. This one is definitely another 5 star read for me and another top book of the year. Even though this is a continuation of sorts, it can definitely be read as a standalone, but I would seriously pick up Dickson’s first book, The Orphan Sisters, and immerse yourself in these powerful moving stories.
Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy....

Oh how I love this beautiful cover! It was amazing storyline about May Robinson....I remember the characters from the ‘Orphan Sister’ book and never forget that too..

Can’t wait to read more book from this author soon...
It doesn’s say in the blurb but as soon as I started reading the book I knew that I recognised the characters from a previous book which I reviewed called The Orphan Sisters.

This novel works fine as a standalone, Shirley Dickson does a great job of bringing the reader up to speed. However, I do recommend that you read the first one because it is just too good to miss.

Devastated by the loss of her mother and abandoned by her father, May Robinson is then given some news by friend Etty, which totally rocks her to the core.

Refusing to give up she sets out to make her mother proud and enrolls to become a nurse. However, choosing a nursing career in 1940s Britain with World War Two in full swing is not an easy option. May witnesses some horrific injuries which break her heart, but under strict regulations, she is forbidden to show any emotion towards the injured soldiers.

I loved reading about the strict regimes the nurses had to adhere to. Starched uniforms and lights out at ten thirty, forbidden to be seen in public fraternising with the opposite sex and hardly any time off. It must have been a true vocation for these young girls to proceed in such a demanding career.

May’s love life isn’t any less complicated, she seems to attract the wrong sort of man. She always sees the best in people and refuses to be swayed by gossip and other people’s opinions. Perhaps May’s refusal to judge others came about because she herself hides a devastating secret, one that she promised her mother she would keep.

The book is so well researched you really get a feeling of war-torn Britain. The characters are diverse. some quite nasty, but May herself remains kind, compassionate and good-hearted. Her character grows with strength and confidence and I admired her resilience and refusal to be worn down. The story builds to an enthralling conclusion which had me reaching for the tissues and desperately wanting to know MORE!

If you love WWII sagas with a strong main female character, an entertaining plot and beautiful writing, this one is for you.
Shirley's first book was the story of Etty and her sister who were abandoned in an orphanage (The Orphan Sisters) and this book tells the story of their friend May. From the outset, we know this will be an emotional journey as may's mother is killed in a tragic accident on the way home one night. From then on, May has to deal not only with losing her mother but also her home. The secret she's been keeping from everyone also threatens any future relationships, yet it is her best friend Etty who keeps her grounded and ironically has a secret of her own that will damage their friendship. As May starts her nursing training, she is attracted to Richard yet it would seem that he also has secrets. This book takes the reader on a roller-coaster of emotions, its attention to detail and setting pulling the reader in. If you love historical sagas set during WW2, this will be just up your street.
Our Last Goodbye was a very interesting, well written book. Good job Shirley Dickson.  I felt connected to the characters especially with May and Richard. The story had something for everyone's taste.  A rollercoaster of emotions love, relationships, mistakes, sadness, joy and suspense.  I recommend this book. I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.   Thank you
This book is an absolute treasure beyond words! From page one I couldn't put it down! May's story of true sadness and loss during World War Two brought me to tears! Her journey was a difficult one. She had to put all of herself into finding hope even when there was none. She fought so hard to be the woman her mother would be proud of. And even in her most darkest of times she found a way to have her most precious dream come true. The ending was pure joy for me as I felt when all hope seemed lost, May finally found her light at the end of a never ending dark tunnel. I loved all the characters and the way the story was written. Any one that loves a great historical read will fall in love with this book immediately as I did! Thank you NetGalley ,Shirley Dickson and Bookouture for my ARC copy in exchange for my honest review! I look forward to many more from this author!