Cover Image: Someone Is Lying

Someone Is Lying

I found Someone is Lying an ok read however I did find any of the main characters particularly empathetic and that let the book down
Hooked from the first page, a murder mystery par excellence. I just had to know the truth. So many secrets and so many lies and a podcast that will bring them all out. This book was well written,many characters which were far from likeable. A real whodunnit which kept me guessing and constantly changing my mind. I read this book in one sitting tapping my kindle faster and faster I HAD TO KNOW THE TRUTH. A bloody good thriller which kept me reading late into the night. An easy five stars and so Highly Recommended.
I would like to thank the, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC.
Well, this was the book that kept on giving. Chock full of secrets, lies and duplicitous behaviour! If I have to be honest (and I do) maybe a little too chock full. There was so much going on in this book that I almost won house at psychological thriller bingo! It basically had it all!
One year after the death of Erica Spencer, the residents of the exclusive gated community in which she lived are all shocked when a post appears on the school's website claiming to know what really happened on that Halloween night. And threatening to expose the guilty party in a series of podcasts, naming the six suspects hinted at along the way.
There's an eclectic mix of cast in this book. Most of whom having something to hide. Some secrets are obvious from the off, others notsomuch and occasionally, not what was expected. They are all pretty horrid people when push comes to shove too. So much so that I was kind of hoping that it would be all of them and they would all get their comeuppance! Once the finger started pointing some of their true colours came out and there was quite a bit of delicious infighting to be had. The whole shenanigan was exacerbated by the early disappearance of Erica's best friend. Victim or something to hide?
The cast was baffling to me, especially as I was introduced to a bunch at the same time, so I had to resort to writing me a list. Unlike some books which I have to do this for, I found myself still referring to this list quite far into the book. Whether that speaks more to my own failings or that of the author, the jury is still out on that, but it happened, so I'm mentioning it!
What I did enjoy was the interaction between the characters, the fighting, the backstabbing, the secrets and lies and all the masks they hid behind. That side of things was handled very well indeed. Definitely not a bunch I would invite round my house for a party!
I also found the podcasts to be a great way of progressing the story yet at the same time, dragging it out to the point of intrigue and teasing. Yes that does make sense, honest! Along with the rest of the cast, I was gagging for the next episode - thrilled at the anticipation of what it might reveal.
The ending... well, although it was very well plotted - as demonstrated when the truth finally came out - it was delivered at a rate of knots and it all got a little muddled for me. Once I got my head around everything, it all worked out to my satisfaction but I did have to work at it a bit.
All in all, a solid read that kept me on my toes throughout and left me satisfied (eventually) at the end. My thanks go to the Publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an arc copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I enjoyed this book. It’s not my usual genre but it’s fast paced storyline kept me interested and intrigued right up until the end.
“Someone is lying” is a highly addictive but although confusing psychological thriller with a lot of “Big Little Lies” vibes.

Severn Oaks is a gated community where only good situated people live. Those of them who have children form the inner circle. Last year Erica fell to her death from a tree house while attending a Halloween party. It was declared as an accident by the police. But now someone is announcing a podcast about Erica’s death. And they say six people are involved and one of them killed Erica because she knew their secrets. This causes a lot of distress among the community. And on the same time someone goes missing. Erica’s best friend Mary-Anne is gone and nobody seems to know what happened to her. Then the first episode of the podcast is aired and names are dropped. All the families are shaken because every one of them has something to hide.

Oh my, so many strange people with so many dirty secrets. This is a highly unrealistic but at the same time entertaining story. I had some problems find into the story because there where so many people and I mixed them up (especially the husbands, there were all the same to me). I had problems to keep track who was married to whom. The female characters are a bit more developed but they also sometimes act out of character. That is the main problem here. To tell all those very similar characters apart and how they are connected in a tangled web of lies. But it is fun to read. It reminded me a lot of “Big Little Lies” for several reasons. But the story is different, though. It was just something about those women and their friendship. The podcast thing was a bit underused. There are other books out there who deal with this medium far better. But it is still an entertaining and easy read.
This has got to be the juiciest crime thriller I have ever read – it filled all the voids left in my heart by Pretty Little Liars and Desperate Housewives. The main characters are a small group of people living in a gated community in Cheshire, focusing mainly on the women who seem to live the in the centre of a lake of gossip.

What sets the format of this mystery apart from others is that all of the main characters are pretty much equally suspicious and that’s to say: VERY suspicious. There’s no subtle little red herring here and there to whet your appetite, it’s just a rollercoaster of clues and secrets being revealed about everybody. After the death of their friend Erica, almost a year ago, someone has released a podcast which threatens to reveal all of their secrets – this podcast gives a sense of time to the story and keeps everything on track.
The writing style is fantastic and had me hooked from page one, switching perspectives between some of the characters so we get a broad view of what’s going on. The characters are excellently written, they’re all complex and have distinctive personalities, with a range of both likable and dislikeable qualities which make them seem more real.
The grand finale is suitably sensational to keep up with the rest of the book, without being ridiculous. It really is the perfect balance of all the ingredients I look for in a crime thriller.
This story is about Erica who dies at a neighbours Halloween party the year previously. This is a gated community where everyone knows each other and their children all attend the same school. One day at a school picnic a post appears on the schools social media page saying that a new podcast will be looking into the six people who were at the party and evidence that Erica’s death was not an accident.

This was just an okay read for me. I really would have preferred it if the podcast was the main part of the book but it wasn’t. The book was mainly about secrets and lies amongst a group of rich people.
4.5/5 ⭐

Thank you NetGalley for an advanced copy of Someone Is Lying in exchange for my honest opinion.

It’s the first book that I read by Jenny Blackhurst but it won’t be the last one! I loved it!!

I loved it from the start. I loved the prologue. It was narrated by Erica, who unfortunately?? died a few months ago. There is a bit of controversy surrounding her death and soon enough we found out why and who was involved.

Erica was part of a neighbourhood called Severn Oak and her neighbours are obviously very sad for the events. However, do they know more about it than they are letting on? Is any of them involved? Erica was such a nice person, sure no one would wish her harm, right? But Someone Is Lying and everyone is going to find out the truth in the worst possible way.

What a wild ride this book was!! Literally, everyone was lying. Every character, every couple, every neighbour was holding some information. None of them were telling the whole truth and, although it made the police investigation rather difficult, I loved the process of finding out the culprit and the motive.

Like in so many other thrillers that I read, life behind close doors is usually pretty different to what we think but I never enjoyed that saying this much! I just couldn’t believe all the lies the characters were telling. I just couldn’t believe that everybody has something to hide. I loved it!!

And the podcasts!?? There is apparently this neighbour that knows everything that happened the night Erica died as he has got hold of her diary and he wants to make sure everyone else knows the truth by posting a series of podcasts with entries of Erica’s diary as well as some information that he knows.

Oh God! That drove everyone crazy!! I enjoyed it so much!! It reminded me a lot to Big Little Lies and that for me is a big YES!!

I liked the writing style, it was very easy to understand. I liked the length of the chapters, I liked the characters, I liked the storyline and I liked the end. I really liked this book!

Highly recommended!
Well oh well what a deliciously dark novel with a huge dose of acerbic humour this book sure turned out to be real winner.
 Lots of suspects with a whole heap of secrets this is a real twister of a ride and you need to keep your wits about you as we are slowly drip fed little snippets of information which just made this book a cut above many other mystery thrillers.
Teasing the reader and following a gripping storyline that keeps you guessing throughout this is so well written by the fabulous Jenny Blackhurst who sure knows how to write a page turner with characters that  are extremely well portrayed and I laughed many times at just how shallow some of them were and yet we all know people like them !!!
So a well recommended read and a definite 4+ stars from me
My thanks to NetGalley and Headline for giving me the chance to read the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
I really enjoyed reading this one!

The story had a lot of twists and turns and I really thought I know who had done it but I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was wrong.
Most of the characters aren't very likable, which is what I truly enjoy reading about
This ARC was courtesy of netgalley - all thoughts and opinions are mine and unbiased

I have not read any of the authors books before but will certainly look out for them in future

I thoroughly enjoyed this - very Big Little Lies - which I loved so if you liked that this is definitely one for you

I'm not one for going through plots - I like to discover them for myself - if you give away the plot I always think there's no point reading the book.  This is well worth making an effort for

I found this cleverly written, with some sympathetic characters and some not so much - much like life really.  Lots of plot twists here to keep things interesting - unexpected - I didn't see some of them coming !!

A great summer read - If thrillers are your genre you will love this
I did enjoy this thriller but it was a bit predictable  and I found the characters a bit annoying and had no empathy for them. #SomeoneIsLying#NetGalley
It is a nice gated community where everyone is friends and supports each other. Last halloween Erica Spencer trips and falls down the steps of a tree house and dies. Now someone is posting podcasts opening up this cosy little community for the world to see, making accusations & exposing secrets. Everyone is looking at everyone else and suddenly this gated community is not as cosy or supportive as it once seemed.

There is a core group of characters in this book which are well written and three dimensional. I had no difficulties in telling them apart – internet perfect family the Kaplans whose income depends on their books, talks and blogs about a troubled life which has been turned around. Mary Beth, Erica’s best friend and her husband Peter who seem a perfect couple but are they? Felicity with her fatherless 5 year old twin girls – just who is the Father and who does she go out to meet? Miranda who tries too hard to be liked and indispensable with her husband Alex who surely must be looking away from from home? Who has secrets and what will they prove about the “accident” last halloween.

This is a well constructed book with a good solid plot. It isn’t only the main characters who are well written but also the supporting cast – the difficult situation between the investigating police officers and Erica’s husband Jack. I found the plot moved at a good pace and kept me interested. I didn’t feel that there were any slow bits or any sections which required more editing.

There were a couple of bits towards the end which I felt were slightly contrived but nothing major and it didn’t affect my enjoyment of the book. In all, a well written thriller which I enjoyed very much.

I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley.
Loved this murder mystery book
This book captivated me from the beginning to the end.
I didn’t guess the ending even though there weren’t too many characters
An excellent read
I was pleased to read a book by this author as it was my fist and I enjoyed it greatly and will be seeking out the additional books to read ASAP. I felt the characters and story was well balanced, and I was left guessing throughout which I love. I would definitely recommend this read. Thank you!
Thanks to Netgalley and Headline for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Erica died when she fell out of a treehouse during a Halloween party a year ago. It was assumed to be an accident but now there is a podcast revealing what really happened and implicating several of Erica’s friends and neighbors in their gated community.

At the beginning of this book, many characters were introduced and I couldn’t keep straight who was who. Luckily after a bit, I was up to speed and that wasn’t an issue. This bunch had a lot of secrets that were revealed through the podcasts. Overall this was a good quick read and I look forward to this author’s next book.
The book follow the lives of the residents of Severn Oaks an exclusive gated community.

Twelve months previously a member to the community "Erica" is killed is a tragic accident at an annual Halloween party

As the story unravels it's clear to see that the people present at the party are hiding something, especially when a mystery person starts to air weekly podcasts to reveal what happened to Erica that fateful night.

A who-dun it, full of scandal, great characters that will keep you guessing till the end.
After the death of Erica from an accident, a post is put on social media saying that she was murdered. Six people are named as possibly being responsible.
These individuals are rich affluent parents of school children who all live in the same community.
What we have here is bored woman who try to keep up with their neighbours and keep hidden what goes on behind closed doors.
Thank you to NetGalley and Headline for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book gave me definite Desperate Housewives vibes - from the names of the characters (Mary-Beth going missing, Felicity Goldman...), to the mystery in a small tight knit community where everyone is on best outward-facing behavior but all have deep dark secrets.... and of course, there's that little matter of an accidental death which is now being touted as a murder by a mystery podcaster who aims to out the truth...

Compelling read for mystery lovers, I couldn't wait until the end to find out just what exactly had happened at that Halloween party - but there were so many other twists that it wasn't just about finding out if Erica Spencer really did fall, or if there's a darker secret to come...
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher Headline for the ARC.
This is a well-written and well-plotted psychological mystery/thriller - really quite enjoyed it, it was a compelling read.
Set in Severndale, Cheshire, where extremely wealthy entrepreneurs and business people live in their own gated community of Severn Oaks.
One year previously, during an extravagant Halloween party, one of the residents - Erica - fell to her death from a garden tree house.  Her death was ruled accidental.
Present-day and the community Summer picnic is being held at Severndale Primary school when, amidst the competitive remarks and constant one-upmanship exchanges between the female Severn Oaks neighbours, someone comes across a Post on the school's Facebook page - gradually everyone sees it, to their disbelief - because "Andy" has announced that he'll be releasing a weekly Podcast - The Truth About Erica - naming 6 people who he held responsible for her death.

Mary-Beth, Erica's closest friend, hasn't shown up at the picnic and is reported missing.

The recriminations begin, with neighbours whispering questions and accusations.  The wider community starts to shun the Severn Oaks 6 as they become know as the Podcasts reveal that "Andy" has access to Erica's diary in which she had recorded everything about everyone in their community. Status is everything, and secrets are being revealed.
DS Harvey was a trainee on Erica's original investigation and now finds himself investigating Mary-Beth's disappearance, in company with DC Allan - but DC Allen is determined to link all the strands together going back to Erica's death.

This story has an abundance of characters and at times I had to flick backwards to get their relationships straight.  None were particularly likeable, I didn't relate to any in any real depth.
There are quite and few twists and turns along the way, and a very nicely rounded conclusion.