The Poison Garden

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Jul 2019

Not for me i'm afraid. I found it very slow and writing style just wasn't for me. I have read Alex Marwood and enjoyed previous books but i found this one was just not for me.
I love Alex Marwood’s books, I’ve been a fan since reading The Wicked Girls and with each book she offers an insight into some kind of dark and twisted world.
Within The Poison Garden we are forced to confront the controversial issue of cults, communes, and how they treat each other and how they view the outside world.
Differing time lines allow us to see the story from varying perspectives and I loved that. I really liked Sarah and Romy but wasn’t too fussed about the others.
It’s difficult to say much about this without giving away any spoilers, but suffice to say it’s sometimes uncomfortable reading because it’s so plausible that this kind of brainwashing/radicalising behaviour is happening... but that just makes it even more believable and unputdownable.
Yet another hit!
Thank you to Netgalley for the chance to read this.
As soon as I read the overview of this book and it mentions a cult that was me hooked !! I have always had a big fascination for reading about cults and this book was brilliant, told in two timelines and from different points of view it draws you in with its descriptions of life in the cult and to life after and the horrific consequences of being brainwashed by fear. In a lot of ways this is a sad read but at the same time very compelling and difficult to say more as I think this is a book that should just be read without knowing too much.
It’s wonderfully written with a well crafted storyline and the characters very believable and a 4 star read for me and also well recommended, my thanks to Alex Marwood for a superb story.
My thanks also to NetGalley and Little,Brown book group UK for giving me the chance to read the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
When Alex Marwood writes I don't feel as though I'm reading a book. I feel as though I'm living it. “The Poison Garden” is no exception. This is my most eagerly anticipated novel of the year and wow! It's even better than I expected. Marwood manages to create characters who evoke empathy as much as they are deeply unlikeable, and the weaving  together of their stories leaves the reader with a sense of dark fascination. “The Poison Garden” shines a spotlight on a world alien to most of us and stays with you long after the final page has been turned. Brilliant stuff!
I really wanted to love this but the writing style is strange, the character names are hard to follow, I found the storyline slow and while I was reading I was just looking for an escape to do something else. Anything else!