100 Days of Sunlight

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Nov 2019

This book was such a joy that I devoured it in one sitting. I was rooting for Tessa and Weston from the beginning and just had to see what happened when Tessa regained her sight. Great story!
100 Days of Sunlight (100DOS) is a YA Contemporary novel that takes through the journey of Tessa, a teenage poetry blogger, temporary blindness. On this reluctant journey Tessa meets Weston, a boy without legs. Tessa, however, is unaware of Weston’s condition.

100DOS was an incredible read for me for several reasons. It depicted the struggles of the disabled and less fortunate in an uplifting and inspiring light. The characterisation was strong and consistent which made for some complex and memorable protagonists. The protagonists’ opposing personalities, also made for some interesting conflicts and engaging interactions. The flash backs weren’t distractions from the main story, but instead were carefully place so that they added a layer to the story by having two non-linear story lines running concurrently.

The plot for 100DOS was a unique concept, very well written. It is the perfect summer read because of it’s sunny disposition.
such a warm and lovely story. the writing is lovely and the plot is interesting enough to get you to want to finish the book in one sitting
Such a sweet and easy read. Every now and then I like to settle down with a YA read and this is one of those.  The only negative I have is the amount of cursing.  I am not a prude, and use colorful language on occasion, but the amount of it used within this text seems almost pushed, like it was a goal to use so many words. I just skimmed by most of those.  It may be a seller to some but may also put some off. I still recommend this book.  If cursing is offensive to you, pass...otherwise, enjoy!
Lovely book. I'm so thankful to have this book in my life. There were tears, laughter and a desire to know these characters in person. This book definitely has a place on my shelf.
This was such a hard-hitting story. It was so beautifully and well-written, though the story didn’t give me that 5-star feeling. There were parts in the story that genuinely made me tear up. This could’ve been a very sad book, but it was just the undertone and I’m glad. The subjects that were predominant were going on with life and perseverance, and I loved it. The fact that the story was told from two different perspectives and the fact that it touched upon Weston’s history gave the story some extra depth. I think the characters were exactly the way that they were supposed to be for such a story.
Abbie’s writing is light and summery, so this is the perfect summer contemporary. I read it quickly and easily, and it’s a GREAT debut.

I loved a lot of the small aspects, the descriptions and poetic writing, and the breezy way the story moved along. Sometimes, I’m nervous about countdowns in stories, but it felt really natural and right for 100 Days of Sunlight.

also loved the friendships! Weston and Rudy were the best best friends I’ve read in a long time. I was cheering their friendship on!

The theming around senses. I loved feeling through the five senses, and felt like that was a lovely way to tie the different parts of the story together.

And the romance was sweet (even if it had cheesy moments) It was a sweet summer romance kind of read – which is what I expected! So, yay!

On the other hand, I didn’t really like some parts of the storytelling. As a survivor of PTSD, I felt like the main characters’ diagnosis was treated too flippantly.

And Tessa, the main character, could be really, really annoying. Like, super annoying. She complained a lot and was super demanding. I LOVED Weston so I wasn’t expecting to really dislike Tessa. But I definitely didn’t enjoy reading her perspective that much. And Tessa borders on a self-insert main character and if you’ve heard me chat about Again but Better, you KNOW I don’t like that AT ALL.

I also know the author worked REALLY hard to not be preachy in her writing, but sometimes the message seemed to override some parts of the storytelling. Since this is Abbie Emmon’s first book, I can imagine she’ll only get better as a writer. And I definitely plan to read her future books!
Thank you to Abbie Emmons and NetGalley for providing me an advanced copy of this book.

I was immediately drawn to this book by the description. I found the plot to be unique while still working in the same vein as books like Five Feet Apart and The Fault in Our Stars. It certainly had a lot of weight to it in terms of plot but it still read much lighter than I anticipated, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed the characters very much, particularly Weston. Overall, it was a very sweet and touching read. Probably one of my favorite quick reads this year. Just enough sweetness that packs just enough of a punch; a great balance.
Thanks Net Galley for the preview!

I loved this book! Weston is everything Tessa needed and the perfect balance of dreamy and wounded. I loved their subtle getting to know you scenes where he really learned what makes her tick. Their kiss was romantic and complicated but written beautifully. I’d love to see more from these characters.
I had very different expectations for the book. I did not expect most of the book to be about Weston and his backstory maybe that is why I felt the book was rushed especially the ending. The two characters also got along and fell in love quicker than I thought they would. I also found the reason Weston helped and how he knew about Tessa really weird. The book has a cute concept but I just did not connect with Tessa's character.
This books was the perfect YA romance to get me out of a reading slump. This is a heart warming story with like able characters. Weston who has no legs helps Tessa who is temporarily blind see the good in life without actually seeing. This is a book of optimism, healing, and love. It was a quick read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to more books by Abbie Emmons!
This is a beautiful YA read. A sweet, emotional and uplifting story about two 16-year-olds who are dealing with significant life challenges and who find strength in their family and friends to hope and heal, and just keep on going. With characters that will own your heart and a gorgeous story of first love, this little book completely captivated me and I loved it.

Tessa Dickinson’s world is upended when she is involved in a car accident, and head trauma causes her to temporarily lose her vision. Told that her blindness will mostly likely last 11-14 weeks, she wallows in darkness, unable to use her beloved poetry blog as an outlet, and terrified that her condition will become permanent.

When her grandparents place an ad in the local newspaper for somebody to help her with her blog, Weston Ludovico answers the call. As a double-amputee, he knows the challenges that come with having a disability, he understands how Tessa must be feeling, and he thinks that he can help her. His first meeting with Tessa doesn’t go well, but when she takes her anger out on him, he loves the fact that she doesn’t treat him like an invalid.

For a moment, I’m speechless.
It’s the first time in three years anyone has ever met me without that look of pity on their face. The first time anyone has ever looked at me and not seen me. The first time anyone has stood before me – with perfectly normal legs – and complained about their own problem.
The feeling is exhilarating.

It’s a match made in heaven, and though Tessa doesn’t make it easy, Weston is stubborn and keeps coming back with his eternal optimism, determined to get her out and living life again. And as he teachers her new ways to experience the world, it’s a beautiful journey for them as they become friends and Tessa comes to count on him in ways she never expected.

This stubborn, kind, impertinent, obnoxiously optimistic boy is doing something to me.
And it feels good.

Weston is an amazing character. His own story is told in flashback throughout the book, and I was amazed again and again at his strength, courage and incredible attitude. His love for his family and his passion for life kept him moving forward, and you can’t help but admire him and the way he handled his situation. And the way he is there for Tessa is absolutely beautiful!

But he has kept his condition a secret from Tessa, terrified that once her sight returns she will see him differently. When the time comes, they will both have to figure out their friendship and what they have come to mean to each other.

This is a beautifully emotional and heartfelt story that brings all the feels. I ached for these characters, and I celebrated their successes as they fought to overcome their obstacles. The friendship that they form is just gorgeous and the romance is a natural and honest extension of that, and I loved watching them find their way through it all.

This book left me with a big grin on my face, feeling awed and inspired by the journey of these two teenagers. It’s such a beautiful read.
4.5 stars

This book put a smile on my face. I love Tessa and Weston's character arcs, and they showed me how to view the world in a different perspective. I love Abbie's writing style and the poetry she adds in between the lines. Thank you for this amazing ARC, and I am looking forward to reading Abbie's future books!
Was unable to open this document unfortunately. I was really looking forward to reading this book :(
A nice enough story about a boy and a girl dealing with different disabilities. Slightly more of Weston's POV than I was expecting and his constant optimism was grating at times.
This book did a number to my heart. I loved the story of Tessa and Weston. I especially enjoyed the poetry created by Tessa and the theme of sunlight throughout the novel. It was a very cute and fast read.
True to the premise, 100 Days of Sunlight is a poignant story about healing and getting back up when life goes sideways. The characters felt realistic and we get to know them personally as the story felt really reflective. However, it also made the story filled with monologues and felt deeply intimate. For a debut though, I think this is great and I would surely read the author’s subsequent releases!
This was such a heart touching story. A truly beautiful story with characters that soeak to your heart. Be prepared to shed a tear or two. I loved it.
Sadly, I DNF'd this one. Just wasn't for me. It was boring and was just unable to grab my attention...

But that is just MY opinion. I can see why people may gravitate towards this, so definitely would recommend to still try it out and see if it is right for you.
Thanks to Abby Emmons for the ARC of 100 Days of Sunlight. I started reading and didn’t stop until I was done. What a wonderful story! Congratulations on a great book! I loved Weston, a young, handicapped teen, who has the courage to not let his handicap rule his life. He is brave, considerate, and kind to everyone. When his newspaper father receives an ad for a secretary for a blind female teen, Weston answers the ad, despite the fact that the ad was pulled before anyone could answer. He knows what it is like to be different and feels he can help Tessa work through her fears of being temporarily blind and live her best life, even though she wants nothing to do with him. Weston is the perfect guy for her in so many ways. I loved this book. I can already see a movie in the near future!