Honeymoon with Death

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jul 2019

A very disappointing read.
It felt like the storyline was so far fetched and very confusing in places
The writing style lacked both depth and content.
A honeymoon, a dazzling and sun soaked Greek island, a luxurious hotel and ...a murder. Holidaymaker and Scotland Yard Inspector, Jasper ( first met in 'A Testament To Murder'- book one in the 'Murder Will Follow' series) is soon on the case. Very enjoyable murder mystery with engaging characters and storyline as well as a beautiful backdrop. Recommended.
This was certainly an interesting read, especially because of the plot twists. Fair enough, one knew who some of the culprits were pretty early on, but not what was going to happen and why.
Honeymooning on a Greek Island, sounds idyllic doesn't it, but what if you have a disturbing sense of 'deja vu'? Damaris still can't' believe she's married after a whirlwind courtship, to such a lovely man. On her honeymoon, she looks forward to her life with Teddy, but then things start to go wrong. How much does she really know about her husband? Why doesn't she like his friends?

The characters are flawed, and secretive, but is one of them hiding something deadly? The plot is written in the 'Agatha Christie'whodunnit style, set in the 1920s. Ex-Inspector Jasper a delightful fusion of a Poirot and Chief Inspector Japp,  less eccentric, but with an enigmatic presence.

Damaris, is vulnerable and doesn't know who to trust, an unreliable protagonist,  is she hiding something? The clues are plentiful but these are obscured by the many twists, and suspects, making the true antagonist hard to uncover.

If you enjoy retro murder mystery in a vividly described setting, this is one for you to escape with.

I received a copy of this book from Canel0 via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
A decent read with some twists and lots of queries over who did it! All twisted in the idyllic Greek island. Lots of characters to pay attention to as well
This was a brilliant cosy mystery set on a Greek Island in the 1920s that tied me up in knots trying to work out whodunnit!
Inspector Jasper was a great character and I loved his Labrador Red, so friendly and very well behaved.
Damaris was the perfect main character in this murder mystery, never knowing if she was completely innocent or if she was playing some dangerous game.
There were so many suspicious characters, mostly unlikeable that I couldn’t decide who was guilty and who was a red herring.
If historical cosy mysteries are your thing, then I definitely recommend this book. I’ve discovered a new favourite author and look forward to meeting up with Inspector Jasper again in A Testament to Murder, the first book in the series.
I really enjoyed Jasper as a character and would be interested in reading more books featuring him.  The other character's didn't do it for me.  I also had trouble following the plot of this book.
I really enjoyed this book. I had not read the first in the series but have now bought this and will read soon. The book put me in mind of a old fashioned golden age crime, Death in Paradise book. The characters were true to the time period the book is based. The characters although not entirely likeable and the red herrings thrown in helped to keep the reveal unmissable until it was exposed. A really good read and I look forward to the next instalment.
Cozy Murder Mystery on a Greek Isle
This wonderful mystery is reminiscent of an Alfred Hitchcock film. The 1920's Greek Isle setting is excellent fantasy material. There are many twists and turns that the reader will not be able to guess the ending. The big reveal is wonderful as is the entire book. I enjoyed this book so much that I bought the first book in the series. I hope this author continues this series for many more enjoyable episodes. I received this ARC book for free from Net Galley and this is my honest review.
If you like Agatha Christie you will love this. Personally, I am not a fan, so, although the novel was perfectly readable, it was not for me. An interesting setting and reflection of an earlier age. Light and easy to read. Good holiday reading.
What a delightful mystery this was! It reminded me of an Agatha Christie novel but written in today’s language, which made it easier to follow the story. But the plot itself was very Christie-esque. A woman on her honeymoon on a Greek island has flashbacks that indicate she has visited the island before, but she has no actual memory. There is a whirlwind romance that led to the honeymoon, a suspicious business partner, enigmatic painter, oh, and a dead body. Add in a retired Scotland Yard inspector on holiday who has to put it all together, and you get a cracking mystery in a beautiful setting. I was excited to see that this is part of a series, so I look forward to reading others involving Inspector Jasper. Thank you to NetGalley, Canelo, and the author for a complimentary pre-release digital ARC of this book.
In “Honeymoon with Death” there wasn't one puzzle to figure out, but several, all intertwined and difficult to unravel in this delightful and engrossing murderous mystery. Masterfully written, the novel was reminiscent of an Agatha Christie mystery.

This was a really solid thriller with a great holiday vibe and the setting was the fictional, small Greek island of Kalos. I liked that the story was told from different perspectives allowing me to see the points of view of all of the characters. I had enjoyed retired Scotland Yard inspector Jasper’s previous outing earlier in the year in ‘A Testament to Murder’ and was pleased to see him involved in this mystery. Once again the inspector couldn't enjoy his holiday break because a murder had been committed and he had to find the culprit.

I loved Vivian Conroy's portrayal of Damaris Ramsforth so I was really rooting for her and hoping that nothing untoward would strike her. The finale of this second instalment involved an intricate finale. As with 'A Testament to Murder', "Honeymoon with Death" was an entertaining, fun read, perfect for when I wanted a dose of mystery/murder, but nothing overtaxing, dark or too long-winded. Highly recommended!

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel at my own request from Canelo via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This novel made me think of Mary Stewart, maybe due to deja vue part or the setting.
I enjoyed this entertaining and engrossing novel.
I liked the cast of characters, the plot and the setting.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Recommended!
Many thanks to Canelo and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
After a whirlwind courtship, Damaris and her new husband, Teddy, travel to the Greek island of Kalos for their honeymoon.  At first it promises to be everything Damaris has always dreamed of.  But, almost from the moment they disembark from the boat, things begin to unravel.  They unexpectedly (?) find friends of Teddy’s on the island, there are mysterious occurrences in their suite that only Damaris witnesses, and, finally a woman is murdered on a secluded beach and Damaris is found with the body.  Enter former Scotland Yard inspector Jasper, who happens to be vacationing on the same island and takes an interest in the case.

Honeymoon with Death is more complex than some cozy mysteries I have read and, therefore, I put it a notch above those books.  It is a twisty story with great characters that reminds me of the writings of Agatha Christie.  The plot is carefully and cleverly written, with many different avenues for the reader to consider.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.  I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for review.
A delightful cozy murder mystery perfect for a rainy afternoon by the fire. I loved the previous book so was thrilled to have the opportunity to read the next installment. If you’re an Agatha Christie fan, this is a series for you. The setting for this book is the fictional Greek island of Kalos and the author certainly conjours up the image of an idilyic place... until of course murder strikes. Overall, the start of a great series with more to come hopefully.
I so enjoyed the first book in this series, and was very excited to get the chance to read and review the second - and, if anything, it is even better!

New bride Damaris Ramsforth is terribly in love with her new husband and is tremendously excited when he takes her on honeymoon to the Greek island of Kalos. Although Teddy comes from a wealthy family, Damaris has never had the means to travel before; why does their hotel seem familiar? With some strange goings-on, the new Mrs Ramsforth begins to doubt herself and struggles with her inner turmoil. Fortunately, former Scotland Yard Inspector Jasper arrives on holiday and sets his sights on working out what's going on. Can he get to the bottom of things and save her sanity?

It is no surprise that author Vivian Conroy is an admirer of Agatha Christie; this novel, in particular, is worthy of the great Dame herself. This isn't one puzzle but several, all entwined and very difficult to unravel - but never underestimate Jasper, the man with the logical mind. I couldn't have worked out things in my wildest dreams! A cracking read and one which played around with my head for the whole time. An amazing book which all mystery lovers are going to love! I'm looking forward to more in this series - this one fully earns every one of it's five stars!

My grateful thanks to publisher Canelo for my copy via NetGalley. As always, all stated opinions are entirely my own.
“The sky was a wonderful blue and it was a perfect day for boating or swimming. But he was knee-deep in murder and it all got more mysterious with each revelation.”

My thanks to Canelo for an eARC via NetGalley of Vivian Conroy’s ‘Honeymoon With Death’ in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second in Conroy’s  A Murder Will Follow series of 1920s cosy mysteries in the tradition of Agatha Christie as retired Scotland Yard Inspector Jasper is once more caught up in a complex mystery.

After a whirlwind romance and wedding Damaris Ramsford has been whisked away to a tiny idyllic Greek island by her husband Teddy. Yet almost from the moment she steps from the boat she feels unsettled. First, by a strong feeling of familiarity and then by a series of bizarre events that leave her fearful for her sanity. When she is discovered standing over a dead body, she becomes the natural suspect even though she claims no memory of what happened. Luckily former inspector Jasper is on hand!

I had enjoyed Jasper’s previous outing earlier in the year in ‘A Testament to Murder’ and was pleased to see him involved in another mystery even while feeling a bit sorry for him not having the peaceful Greek holiday that he was hoping for.

Conroy is open about her deep admiration of Agatha Christie and this shines through her writing and confident use of the tropes of the Golden Age of Detective Fiction. Here she has Jasper engage in the classic summation gathering so beloved of Hercule Poirot.

I am not a big fan of cosy mysteries as I am more drawn to darker crime fiction yet this proved a fun summer read with an intriguing mystery that kept me guessing. I will certainly be recommending it to my cosy mystery addicted friends.
This story is very reminiscent of Agatha Christie's "Sleeping Murder." A newlywed comes to a faraway land and starts to recover memories of a long ago murder. And by reminiscent, this is very much a variation on the theme.
Damaris Ramsworth received a free play ticket in the mail which led to her meeting her handsome and connected husband. Hers is very much a Cinderella story and she is living it to the fullest. But then her husband chooses their honeymoon as a surprise and the more she's on this Greek island, the more she wonders what, exactly, is going on.
First are the things that she sees (skull in her room, beetles all over) that no one else seems to. Then, there's the sense that she's been to this place before. But how? And it doesn't help that her husband's friends have "accidentally" run into them in this remote place. Waking up to find herself standing over a dead body is the last straw.
At any other time, Damaris would probably immediately be indicted for murder. But, lucky for her, Inspector Jasper is vacationing on the same island and is willing to take up her cause...
This book starts with a LOT of frenetic energy. It is hard to follow the story and then becomes even worse when trying to follow the logic Jasper uses to solve the crime. An okay story but I probably won't follow the series.

Three stars
This book comes out July 1st
ARC kindly provided by Canelo and NetGalley
Opinions are my own
Honeymoon with Death
(Murder Will Follow Book 2)
by Vivian Conroy

Kindle Edition, 245 pages
Published June 24th 2019 by Canelo

Goodreads synopsis:
Suspenseful to the last page, HONEYMOON WITH DEATH is perfect for fans of Agatha Christie’s Sleeping Murder and Evil Under The Sun

After a whirlwind romance and dream wedding, the new Mrs Ramsforth is whisked away to an idyllic Greek island by her adoring husband. But as soon as they arrive at their luxurious hotel overlooking the azure sea, Damaris is struck by the feeling she’s been here before...
Puzzling over the familiarity, Damaris’ honeymoon goes from unsettling to a complete nightmare when she finds herself standing over a dead body, unable to explain how she got there.

Now only one man can save her - fellow holidaymaker and former Scotland Yard inspector Jasper. But even he starts to doubt Damaris' innocence when he discovers that it's not her first time embroiled in a murder case...

***

3.5 Stars

This is the second book in the Murder Will Follow series.

To me this book is an Inspector Jasper mystery because it was all about him. In the beginning it seemed like Mrs Ramsforth would be the main character but quickly we realize that although she is in the forefront of the story, Jasper is the one who holds our attention.

The mystery and all the elements of the mystery in this were top notch. It is probably the most complex mystery I have seen in a long time… worthy of Columbo and Hercule Poirot. And every thread was figured out in the end and revealed. You don’t always see that with a cozy mystery.

The main problem I had with this book were all the jumps in logic that kept happening. We weren’t following along as Jasper figured it all out. Jasper would come upon clues and just suddenly seem to know and figure out how it was all connected. I would have liked to see his process more. I needed less internal dialogue from all the secondary character and more sleuthing and discovering clues so we could enjoy figuring it out along with Jasper.

Good mystery but not great follow through. I will definitely pick up another Inspector Jasper mystery. He was my favorite part of this.

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.
A very solid thriller with a fun vacation vibe! I liked that the perspectives jumped around so that we could get points of view from all of the characters involved in this complicated thriller/mystery taking place on a very smal island - and staying in third person throughout helped me not get confused who we were reading about. The mystery and the reveal(s) all seemed very well-developed. Overall a quick and satisfying read. Thank you to NetGalley and Canelo Digital Publishing for providing me with the eARC in return for an honest review!