Whisper in the Night (Detectives Kane and Alton Book 6)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Jun 2019

Really like these characters and a pretty good story to go with it. Lots of twists and turns but fast moving.
I enjoyed reading this sixth instalment of the Kane and Alton books. The pair of them are well matched and they have an amazing team around them.

This book was pretty incredible actually, in a "oh wow, this is so scary!" kind of way, and I think it is wonderful that we are on book six in the series already. There certainly don't seem to be no shortage of baddies in Black Rock Falls to do nasty things to their fellow citizens.

As usual, I like to see the personalities of the characters shine through, and I felt like it was akin to reading about a relative you know quite well, reading this book.

4.5 stars from me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture.
My first time reading that author and it won't be the last!

"She opens her eyes and struggles to make out the dark room around her. One thing she knows instantly – her wrists are bound and she’s tied to a chair, unable to move. As she screams for help, she hears footsteps outside. He’s coming…. "

I knew I was going to enjoy this book!

Well written and developed story with strong characters.
It grabs your interest from page one and is good until the end. I felt my heart racing while reading.  This was scary, scary good!
Good fast paced thriller.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
This book opens with the abduction of 14 year old Lindy. I’ll be honest I had a certain amount of dread based on my reading of DK Hood’s other books (The Crying Season and Where Angels Fear), and knew that her chances of survival were zero.
Whisper in the NIght sets a mass killer against Sheriff Jenna Alton and her team but the killer has the intent to make Jenna herself suffer. Can she find him in time to save the girls and herself…?
This is the 6th book in the series but works as a standalone novel.
The killer is wickedly clever in thinking of ways to make his games more fun for himself and more terrible for the victims and the police. Some chapters are seen from his point of view, giving us an insight into his twisted logic.
I had no idea who the killer was so the suspense was maintained until the very end. The interviews with suspects were just as frustrating for us as readers as they were for Alton and her colleagues. The police procedure was focussed on in this book and they rely on routine to keep them on task when matters get personal as one of their own is abducted.
To be perfectly honest, I didn’t enjoy this book quite as much as the previous two but they had set the standard VERY high. The drama and chase were definitely there in abundance but it was less graphic with the killer always being detached from his victims, and there was also less focus on Alton and Kane’s relationship which had been developed over the last books. Overall a very good read though!
I can’t believe this Is the sixth book in the series featuring Deputy David Kane and Sheriff Jenna Alton, and they just keep getting better and better.  Jenna is faced with a case of young girls going missing.  Teenager Lindy is certain that she has seen a man in her bedroom.  Her father says she has been dreaming but then one morning they find that she has disappeared.  Has she run away or has she been abducted.  Jenna and David investigate the case and Jenna receives a video from a man saying that he will kill Lindy in six hours.  After intensive investigation the six hours are up and Lindy’s  body is found.  Another girl goes missing and so the clock is ticking.  Jenna soon realises that the ‘Shadow Man’s’  ultimate goal is abducting and killing her.  This is a fast paced book, with plenty of twists and turns keeping you guessing.  I love this series and look forward to book number seven of the series.
Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
Should have avoided this one when I saw book 6 in the title as I certainly haven’t read the first 5  yet - although that’s inevitable now that I have discovered a great new detective for me - one I’m sure many readers are welcoming back.  It’s a tough read, as is any, with a missing kidnapped child with a self imposed deadline by the abductors.  And that’s just in the first few pages - and we are off on a chilling,, twisting and intriguing journey into a depraved mind.  The investigative team is full of well  written characters and I imagine the 5 previous titles arriving soon from Amazon as number 6 was thoroughly enjoyable and I fully expect number 7 for this crew.
Thanks so much for requesting me but it’s way past the dates so, I will read the book from the kobo site to catch up soon.

Take care and enjoy your summer!
Book 6 in the series and the best one yet. It grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go til the very last page. Lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing. Can highly recommend this series.
D.K. Hood never disappoints and this new installment is a brilliant addition to an already awesome series.

Like all previous books the plot and characters are engaging and spot on.
The pace is perfect with an abundance of twists and turns and multiple suspects so it is difficult to guess the culprit until the big reveal.

I highly recommend this book and the entire series to fellow thriller fans, and already looking forward to the next one.

Thanks Netgalley, Bookouture, and author D.K. Hood for an ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.
Whispers in the Night.   D.K Hood

As a child what can be more scary than waking up in the middle of the night and seeing a stranger in your room

As a parent what can be more scary than your child coming into your room saying there’s a stranger in her room

What could be more scary than checking the room and finding nothing, only for the child to go missing

Or you could be the Detective that’s sent a video of the missing child and are told you only have a few hours to find her before she dies.

Detective Jenna Alton is the detective who receives the video, and assembles her team the start the search

Too soon another message arrives from the kidnapper, and it’s not what Jenna wants to hear

That is just the start to a book which had me engrossed from start to finish.

The stories in this series are set in Black Rock Falls, a large sleepy town that is growing in size by the month

The small Police Department runs well with the main Detectives Jenna Alton and her Deputy David Kane investigating some serious crimes involving serial killers

The series is like Midsummer Murders on steroids, and as well as the main characters there are some great bit-part-players, the best of which is the local Medical Examiner who doubles up as the Police Departments CSI, he’s even recruited his daughters to help him

I’ve read all of this series, and I’m always richly anticipating the next. Whispers in the Night didn’t disappoint. It’s is fast paced, without being frantic. It’s gritty, without being gory. It is far from a cosy Crime drama, but illicit a cosy read

I really can’t wait till the next one comes out

Pages: 355
Publisher: Bookouture
Available now
This is book 6 in the series. Detectives Alton and Kane are back with their team in Black Rock Falls.
Teenage girls are being kidnapped and Detective Alton is being contacted telling her how long she has to find them before their time runs out and they die! The race is on, and what an exciting and fast paced race it is!!
D.K. Hood absolutely never disappoints! I would more than highly recommend not just this book but all of her books!
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for allowing me to read this Arc.
I can't believe we have reached Book 6 in this series featuring Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy David Kane. Whisper In The Night is just as gripping and chilling as its predecessors and I loved every minute. It’s great to be back with these wonderful characters and I enjoyed, as always, their brilliant relationship. They know each other so well and always play to their strengths. It was also interesting to get to know the team (including Duke!) a little better as the case becomes very personal.

In Black Rock Falls, Hood has found the perfect setting. The isolating but breathtaking landscape makes Whisper In The Night incredibly atmospheric, which really highlights the horror of the crimes that Alton and Kane are investigating.

In Whisper In The Night, Alton and Kane are hunting a very clever but twisted killer. The reader can see this from the chapters written from the killer’s perspective, which I loved as they were so chilling. I had every faith in Alton and Kane and the team to bring the killer to justice, but in doing so, they often put their lives on the line, which makes the novel full of tension.
This is #6 in the Kane and Alton series by DK Hood, but can easily be read as a stand-alone.

In Black Rock Falls, young Lindy has nightmares and she sees a man in her room, the Grim Reaper. Her father reassures her it’s just a dream, but by morning she has disappeared…..

Sheriff Jenna Alton puts the search protocol in place, but she receives a text message and a video, telling her they have 6 hours to find Lindy or she will die….

They do their very best, calling in everyone to help search, including Atohi a Native American to help with tracking…..but they are too late and find her body and a booby trap….

Then another girl goes missing……..the Shadow Man has a plan and Jenna is the ultimate prize….

I love the relationship between Kane and Alton, it’s gradually growing and they clearly have a lot of respect for each other. Both are completely driven in their determination to catch the Shadow Man…..and prevent anymore deaths…..and Duke is a darling character….

This is a stunning thriller, with enough creepy suspects to keep you guessing right to the nerve wracking end…

Thank you to Bookouture, the author and NetGalley  for  a free copy of the ebook. This is my honest, unbiased review.
Bookouture have rightly said above that the ‘Kane and Alton’ books can be read as a standalone or as a series. I do agree, however if you aren’t binge reading this series at every opportunity, what the hell is wrong with you!!! I say that with love and affection, obviously, because you are totally missing out on one stinking reads if you’re only dabbling in just one or two of the books.

So yes, Kane and Alton, and Black Rock Falls are back with yet another chillingly fabulous read. Honestly, D.K.Hood does not disappoint where this series is concerned, although remind me to never, EVER visit Black Rock Falls. The little place doesn’t have much luck when it comes to people being murdered, that’s for sure!!

Just when things were starting to quieten down for Jenna and her team, some idiot decided to steal a person or two because they were excited by it. Selfish much?! Surely if they were bored they could have found a nicer hobby to take up instead of murder? Just a thought…

With a murderer on the loose, Kane and Alton are struggling to stop them before they kill anyone else, especially when the problem of not being able to hunt them down is incredibly evident. I’ll give the numpty their due, they were very clever!!

I tried to workout who the culprit was and, despite being right there in front of me, I still managed to get it well and truly wrong. I discounted the character originally because i thought they were too obvious, instead choosing a character who seemed a bit more secretive than others. I can see that that worked very well for me!!!

I don’t know how many times I can say it, but this was such a fast paced, high energy read which was full of spine tingling, cover the mouth type scenarios. I loved everything about it, and the anticipation for the next book in the series is uber high already.

One thing is for certain, you won’t be whispering whilst reading ‘Whisper in the Night’, not a chance! If anything you’ll be forgetting how to breathe as you devour the shockingly addictive storytelling from the brilliant, D.K.Hood. Did I tell you I loved it?!
Where do I start? How much I love Alton and Kane? How this is one intense journey into darkness? That no matter what there are shocks galore? Why is Black Rock Falls attracting all the crazies?!

I can not believe I am on the 6th book in this series and it has not failed me ever! Each book is so intense, and I do fill sorry for the residents of Black Rock Falls. As much as I want to go there nothing ever good comes out of it!! If you have not read the previous five books, STOP ✋🏼 what you are doing and please for the love of god go and read them.

So what is happening now? This time we are a few short weeks after the events from the last book and a girl has been kidnapped. Alton receives a video giving her six hours to find the missing girl or else……

From the opening chapters, you know this will be a difficult read, made even harder when you know its young teenage girls being targeted. Makes me want to give my mini-me an extra squish

I was on tenterhooks throughout Whispers in the dark as I could not figure out how these girls were being taken…I mean I know how but how were they being manipulated. And then to live their somewhat final moments in some cases broke my heart. The fear that the characters felt was palpable and always there is the race against time element, more so in this case because they have been given a time frame to solve the case literally!

How Ms Hood can write so much darkness just blows me away. She just does it so well and then she flips it over with the wealth of love that the team have for each other. How they are a unit and none of it is cheesy. She tries to balance the good vs the bad. Plus I was so happy to see developments with Alton and Kane. What developments…well read it yourself!

Whispers in the dark is a breakneck speed of a journey and overall it is such an addictive and thrilling series that I am so glad I discovered. I do not think I will ever get bored of this series (please don’t stop writing them!) as each book both Alton and Kane are finding their ground a bit more. Fighting back against their past more and learning to deal with the present. I do hope soon, somehow the past meets the present.
I love my trips to Black Rock Falls. I always know I’m in for a dark and twisted case with the team and Whisper In The Night is no different!
I felt there was a serious pace to this book. The killer’s MO escalating with each kill, this culprit is one sick individual! There are some serious mind games at play with our lovely sheriff and the killer is loving toying with Jenna.
The team really have to pull together in the investigation – I love the way the team work together like a well oiled machine, each with their own expertise which interlink with the rest of the team’s skills. They are the dream team of Montana!!
I devoured this whilst away with the family, my attention transported from North Yorkshire to Montana unable to escape. My eyes could not leave my kindle for long as I sped through this latest investigation. I was desperate to find out who the killer was!!
D K Hood has yet again pulled off another brilliant addition to the Kane and Alton series. This series just keeps getting better!
Frightening in its evil. The characters are strong and intelligent in their work and personal lives. No silliness here
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for the arc in return for an honest review
After 25 kills the killer needs more. Lindy Rosen, 15, has had nghtmares for some nights, but her parents tell her there is no-one there. What if they are wrong. One morning her parents find her gone. Sheriff Alton leads her team in the search for her. But it seems the killer has decided to taunt Alton. Will Lindy be the only victim.
Another well-written story in this series. A fast-paced thriller with enough suspects to keep you guessing.
I’m a big fan of this series, and although the books can be read as standalone books I think that the reader really would get more out of this book if they had read as least some of the previous books. And frankly, if you haven’t read them then you are missing out!

I really like Jenna Alton, Sheriff for a small town in America. The setting is great, it is isolated but big enough to keep the Sheriff busy and the scenery and weather become characters themselves.

Poor Jenna regularly attracts attention from people would wouldn’t want, her job means that her life is often at risk and she has to use all of her skills to keep herself safe. She is lucky to have two deputy’s that will fight to keep her safe.

Which is lucky when the latest killer comes to town, picking on teenagers from the town the Sheriff department think they have a serial killer on the loose, but they have no idea at the lengths the killer will go to as they begin to suspect that Jenna herself might just be the target.

Jenna and her team race to find the killer, desperate to save the missing girls who are being killed off and some pretty gruesome ways. Once again as I read this book I wondered about the author and just how she comes up with these twisted storylines, because they really are twisted!

If you’ve read previous books in this series you will know how this book will go, but the middle bit is a thrilling ride that will keep you guessing and desperate to read more. And if you haven’t read any of this series, then why on earth not?
4.5 Stars

Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy Dave Kane ... along with the team of Shane Wolfe, Deputies Walters and Webber and Maggie .... return for a sixth installment of this gripping crime fiction. Although sixth in line, it reads easily as a stand alone, but I highly recommend starting at the very beginning. The characters are well worth following.

A teenage girl sees a man in her room. Her parents come running when she screams ..but there is no one there. Five nights in a row she has this 'dream' .. until the parents take a 2-second look and tell her to go back to sleep. But then she disappears from her room ....

Jenna gets a call that a girl has gone missing. Within hours, Jenna gets a text from the killer giving her 6 hours to find the girl. A video is attached proving that he has her. The killer has made good on his promise. He’s playing a dangerous game. And no one knows what his next move will be.

And then another teenager disappears under the same circumstances, followed by another text and video.

But its when the killer turns eyes on Jenna and takes someone close to her that it becomes very personal ... and it becomes a cat and mouse game.

Completely addictive from the very start, this is a series ... and author ... worth following. I really enjoy how the characters relate to each other... they're loyal, trustworthy, and have each others' backs. The story premise is a very good one, riveting from the very first page. The suspense holds until the final word in the final chapter.

Many thanks to the author / Bookouture / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.