Beyond the Horizon

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Oct 2019

A very good book based on the WASP women pilots of WWII. I really did not know much about the WASPs and it was interesting to learn more about how they trained and the fact they were not recognized as military until many years later. A good book for those that enjoy war genre and historical fiction.
Beyond the Horizon is a very well written story about the woman who served in the WASP during WWII. It shows the hardships and discrimination that these women had to put up with on a daily basis and still manage to keep going. Years later Eva is telling her side of things for an investigation of events that occured trying to get the recognition her fellow flyers deserved when secrets come out and change her whole perspective. the story is very interesting and keeps you focused reading to find out what really happended and why. great world building and strong characters. well worth reading.
A well researched and well written book, this is the perfect read for any historical fiction or WWII fan. An interesting story with insight into the WASPs, this fictional story feels as though it could be a true account of the women in the time period. 4/5 stars, highly recommend!
Beyond the Horizon by Ella Carey is the first book I have read by her.  It definitely will not be the last.  Ms. Carey wrote a wonderful story which drew me right in, making me forget everything else and did not let me go until I turned the last page. This story was very well researched and well written, with well-defined believable characters. This book was full of vivid descriptions that made you feel everything.  I really had a hard time putting this book down.  I actually read it in two days.  The ending was a little surprising to me but nice.  I highly recommend this book to historical fiction readers you will not be disappointed.
Thank you to NetGalley for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.  I enjoyed reading this book concerning the WASP pilots.  It was a very thorough and detailed account of the WASP program from the perspective of the women who participated in the program.  I enjoyed the characters and like how the story revolved around a select few.  I also enjoyed the plot twists within the book.
Ella Carey, Author of "Behind the Horizon" writes a captivating, intriguing, intense, and page-turning novel. Genres are both Historical Fiction and Fiction. The timelines for this story are both at the height of World War Two, and 1977. The location for this story takes place in both Texas and North Carolina. The author vividly discusses and describes the "Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) and the discrimination, treatment, and lack of respect shown between men and women. The themes for this story are friendship, second chances, looking for the truth, fighting for what is equal, right, and sisterhood. Ella Carey describes the characters as brave, courageous, and bold. There is loyalty and betrayal.

Eva Scott has always loved flying planes and is given lessons by a good friend. Eva and her friend Nina apply and join the WASP during the war.  The two best friends meet other women and form a special bond and sisterhood. The women are not treated equally to the men in the training, and some of the equipment seems to be faulty.

After a devasting accident, where Eva loses her memory, she returns home and gets married. For thirty years, Eva hasn't discussed the war, flying, or her friends. Eva's eighteen-year-old son convinces her to help recognize the WASPS.  In doing this, Eva has no idea how her life and others will change.

I highly recommend this thought-provoking novel for readers who appreciate historical fiction.
At the height of WWII, Eva Scott dreams of flying. When herself and best friend Nina are accepted in the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP), they leave California for training at Avengers Field in Texas, and eventually stationed to the formidable Camp Davis in North Carolina.

Vastly outnumbered by men and often facing contempt, discrimination and even sabotage, Eva and her friends manage to stay true to their mission and each other. Until a fatal assignment sees Eva’s dreams crashing to earth.
Decades later, Eva finds herself embroiled in the fight to gain military recognition for the WASP. But will she discover a truth that will change her life forever?

As a lover of history, and therefore historical fiction, I didn’t hesitate to request an ARC of this book. WWII happens to be a particular interest of mine, however, I find most novels are told from the British side of events. This story is based in America, and their participation in the war, especially the involvement of the female pilots that aided the airforce. Something I knew little about before reading this title.

I found the friendships Eva had with the other girls to be very realistic and likely representative of the time. Women from all forms of class and culture were thrown together, often forging unbreakable bonds in the face of wartime.

Each chapter started with a paragraph from 1977, with Eva being questioned by Congress as part of the fight for militarisation for the WASP. This was then followed by a flashback scene to Eva’s time as a pilot. Whilst, the story was fiction it was clear to see that the author had done a great deal of research into events that really happened. There are a few sad moments that serve to prove no one came through the war without some kind of loss.

There was a small twist towards the end, one I had begun to piece together throughout reading and therefore I didn’t feel the shock factor that others perhaps did. The conclusion for me was a little too neat, but I enjoyed this book and feel I learnt a great deal from it.
Thanks to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing, Ella Carey for giving me the chance to read and review her new book: Beyond The Horizon.

Beyond the Horizon is a historical story about Eva Scott and a special group of brave women who during WW II joined the Women's Air Force Service Pilots Scheme. Male pilots are busy defending the skies and fighting in the Pacific. Female pilots are desperately needed in America during WW II to transfer and test planes.
Eva and her fellow pilots, Nina, Helena, Rita, Nancy and Beatrice start five months of intense training in Avenger Field in Sweetwater Texas, it's extremely demanding both physically and mentally.
On a daily basis they have to deal with hot weather, very basic living conditions, and use or wear flying equipment designed for men.
The girls are very focused, determined to pass and they soon become best friends.

After they graduate, Eva, Nina and Helena are sent to Camp Davis in Carolina, here they deal with more shocking discrimination, sabotage, its a dangerous place to live and work.
During one mission tragedy strikes, Eva's plane crashes and will she ever fly again?

Years later, Eva goes to Washington and gives evidence in an investigation into how badly the members of the WASP's were treated during and after WW II. Eva finally discovers what really happened after her plane crashed all those years ago and how she was betrayed by two people.

I loved Beyond The Horizon, it's a story about WW II, friendship, secrets, justice, Eva confronting her past, discovering the truth and understanding the accident wasn't her fault. I received a complimentary copy of this book, opinions expressed in this review are completely my own and I gave the book four stars.
Readers of historical fiction who are not familiar with the WASPS will find this novel interesting both for the detail and the story.  Eva desperately wanted to join the new team of female pilots and was lucky - and talented enough- to make the cut but she didn't know what she was in for.  Told in flash backs from a ceremony in 1977, this is her story, as well as that of her brave colleagues, especially her girlhood friend Nina and her special friend Helene.  These women were undervalued- and it lead to disastrous results.  There's a romantic element here as well, although I think the bigger romance was with the airplanes.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  Fans of Carey will appreciate this latest addition to her shelf.
It is easy to tell that this is an extremely well researched tale of the women who learned to fly as part of the war effort but who also dealt with so many obstacles to their being accepted as equal to their male counterparts.   The story is well told and the characters are interesting and likely representative of the many types of ladies who did decide to become pilots.   What I had a little trouble with was the amount of detail in the technical parts of the book.   I felt as though I was reading both a fictional story and a non-fiction description of what it was like to fly back then.   It was enjoyable but I think I might have personally liked a bit less of the technical stuff about flying since this is fiction.  And yet with all that said, the story is captivating and worth reading.    There was a twist to the end and I both liked the way things were tied together and yet also felt that it was a little too neat.
Wonderful historical fiction!   This is a well researched book about the WASP (Women Airforce Service Pilots) during WWII.    It tells how the women bonded, under difficult circumstances, and at times outright discrimination, then, decades after their service, had to fight Congress to be recognized as military.  The characters are well developed, and there’s a good little twist toward the end that I did not see coming.   A very enjoyable read!
Beyond the Horizon hooked me from the very beginning! I tore through this book, completely captivated by the story. I loved that it went back and forth in time, providing details that fleshed out the story. I have to admit that I did not see the ending coming. It was unexpected, but perfect. This book sent me to the internet to find out more - always the sign of a good read.
Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the digital ARC of this book. All my opinions are my own.

"Beyond The Horizons" stars WASP Eva Scott in two timelines: briefly in 1977, where she is speaking in Washington to help get the WASP acknowledged as military in World War II, and in 1943 & 1944, where Eva applies to become a WASP, following her journey through training at Avenger Field in Texas, the strong friendships she forms with her sister pilots, and her times at Camp Davis in North Carolina following graduation. As a middle-aged woman, Eva does not remember the accident that happened during her time at Camp Davis that got her released, and has not received contact from her sister pilots in the thirty years since, and after having a flashback, Eva is determined to figure out what happened, and how.

This book was phenomenal! The highlight of this book in my opinion is definitely the strong female friendships Eva makes with her sister pilots in training at Avenger field: Helena, Bea, Rita, Nancy, along with training with her childhood best friend, Nina Rogers. These young women were constantly looking out for each other, supporting one another, having little adventures together between long training days in Sweetwater, Texas. Each of Eva's friends had distinctive personalities and traits that made them stick out from one another. The nearly-lifelong friendship between Eva and Nina was unbreakable and sister-like, and reading about these woman constantly having one another's backs, from heartbreak to dealing with the tough aspects of training. The friendships Eva forms, as well as the ones we see between characters through Eva, are admirable and heartwarming, and pull her through nearly everything that she endures throughout the book.

"Beyond the Horizons" was also clearly well-researched. the descriptions of Eva and a few of the other characters working the ins and outs of their planes, such as buttons, flight routines, as well as Ava's in-depth knowledge on several types of planes used in the war was detailed and felt authentic. Prior to becoming a WASP, Ava worked at a factory in California for planes. Not only was the detail of being a pilot in-depth and realistic, the sexism Eva and her sister pilots face both in the 1940s as well as the 1970s is accurate to their times as well. Ella Carey mentions in the Afterword of the novel that this book was initially inspired by both of her parents' work in the air force during World War II, as well as the original WASP stories, including the real-life pilot that speaks in Washington as Eva does in the novel. The author's work making the story as realistic as possible, while still making an incredible fictional story based off of her research shows throughout the novel, transporting the reader to wartime as well as brief moments in 1977.

Eva was an amazing main character to follow as well. She is caring and brave, equal parts relatable like a real-life friend but still a role model, not allowing sexism and tough conditions to get in her way of becoming a pilot and serving her country. She has an unrequited crush but can make even an incredibly sexist Camp Davis Officer impressed with her skills as a pilot. She faces grief after grief, but continues on with her life and her goals to honour the people she loses. Eva is a quieter young woman, going out late and almost breaking curfew not for herself, but to accompany a friend for the other girl's sake. She is a quiet trailblazer making history before the reader's eyes alongside her other sister pilots, and I was rooting for Eva and the other characters the entire time, feeling happy for her when things were going well, and sad for her when her heart was breaking.

The way the plot unfolds was another highlight of this book. In the brief scenes set in 1977, mentions of characters in the "past" leave the reader wondering what happens, and how the story went from point A to point B. I thought I had most of the ending figured out until the plot twist, which was brilliant and heartbreaking. Having this extra timeline gave the book more mystery to it, making me care more for the characters and made me especially interested in where they were and why they disappeared from Eva's life as a middle-aged woman. Loose ends are tied together perfectly, one by one, and my awe for the ending of this novel grew bigger as each question was answered. I loved Ella Carey's writing style, and the ending of "Beyond The Horizon" was probably one of my favourite endings ever.

Overall, this book was so moving and unfolded so well. I certainly learned a lot about the WASP from this novel. The reader cares for characters instantly, and their relationships with each other are the highlight of this novel. It was a satisfying and beautiful book, and I would recommend "Beyond The Horizons" to anybody.
At the height of World War II, Eva Scott’s dream comes true. Accepted into the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP), she leaves balmy California and the man she loves for grueling training in Texas, ultimately landing at formidable Camp Davis in North Carolina. Vastly outnumbered by men and amid contempt, discrimination, and sabotage, Eva and her closest friends, the unconventional Nina and straight-laced Helena, remain loyal to their mission and to each other. They stay focused on the horizon, determined to prove themselves capable women pilots. Until a fatal mission sends Eva’s dream crashing to earth . . .

Now, decades later, is it possible to discover the truth about the night that changed her life? Is there any hope she’ll recover all that she’s lost? When Eva finds herself embroiled in the fight to get military recognition for the WASP, she’s forced to confront the past, and to make a decision that could forever change her future.

This was a good solid 4 star read.  💫💫💫💫
Such a wonderful story and one that i will stay in my mind for a while to come.  I knew about the brave women fighter pilots and how courageous they were, but i now know so much more.  Well worth a read.  Hope to read more books by this author.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers.  This is my honest review, which i have voluntarily given.
Beyond the Horizon is an inspiring and heartbreaking story of the Women's Airforce Service Pilots(WASP) program during WWII. A must read for historical fiction fans!
BOOK REVIEW:

Release Date - October 15, 2019

Beyond the Horizon by Ella Carey

A truly wonderful read! I thank author, Ella Carey for sharing this stunning narrative, one of heart and heroism.

Beyond the Horizon is a wonderful and informative look into the lives, families and friends of the women who became the WASP division of the military during the 1940's at the height of WWII.

Each and every character is written as real and believable and ones you'll enjoy in getting to know. The research is nothing short of very well done and the storyline- inspiring, intriguing, heart-breaking and entertaining.

If you're a fan of Historical Fiction, and even if this is not your go-to genre, please consider reading Beyond the Horizon-a story of dreams, bravery and strength. The fighting against discrimination, sabotage and contempt with harsh loyalty and focus, and the fight for recognition.

A beautifully moving story...full of emotion.

I thank author Ella Carey for my ARC of Beyond the Horizon, not only for my reading enjoyment but in order for me to review yet another stellar read from this author.

5 Stars

#EllaCarey
#BeyondtheHorizon
#LakeUnionPublishing
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this amazing book

trained pilots in the war only they are women...they were the wasps pilots and they went unrecognised doing their jobs

they are laughed at and reviled by most of the men in the forces but they are needed for the jobs so that the men could go to the front...

they worked hard and were trained hard and had to be held accountable for their actions in work and out, higher standards to be kept at all times even if the men were better fed and housed and even clothed but these wasps were fighting for their own place in history...to be acknowledged

this is their story and its brilliant
this author captured their story and i was gripped right to the very end
I love historical fiction, and this did not disappoint. Written by talented novelist, Ella Carey, whose own mother flew in WWII in Australia, it was well researched with strong charismatic characters.
Eva Scott has been hooked on flying from a young age and hates her riveting job at Lockheed in Burbank California. When she learns that a pioneering female pilot has been recruiting women to test repaired airplanes for the Air Force, she and her friend Nina form a pact to join them. So begins their story, that is told during 1944 and Eva’s own story in 1977, as part of a group, fighting for official recognition of the WASP’s history and accomplishments.
This is a riveting tale of these woman’s strength and courage under deplorable and dangerous conditions, as they fought for equality in a male dominated military, then and 30 years later. I loved the sisterhood and camaraderie of their group. I received this ARC for my honest review and thank #LakeUnionPublishers  #NetGalley #Ella Carey for the opportunity! Five stars all the way.
This is a fictional account of the real-life stories of the Women’s Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs) in WWII.  Many of the events are real, but the characters are all fictional.  The story if from the point of view of Eva Forrest, née Scott.  She is testifying at the 1977 congressional hearings on giving the WASPs military recognition.  The book opens with Nina and her husband Jack and son Alex at a market. Her son has met women organizing for the WASPs to testify in front of congress, and it triggers a flashback for Eva.  She was in a horrible crash, that killed her co-pilot Helena.  It is after this that she defies her husband and decides to testify, unless the records are militarized she cannot access them to find out what happened the day of the crash, and she fears she is to blame for her friend’s death.  The remaining chapters start out with a question from congress and Eva’s response, then it moves into a flashback to 1943/1944.  We follow Eva from her choice to join the WASPs with her best friend Nina up until the fateful accident.

I really enjoyed this book.  It was full of very strong women characters overcoming discrimination.  I felt that at times the timeline jumps were jarring. Sometimes Carey forgets to give lead ins that 3 months have passed, or that someone has entered the room.  This happened more at the beginning then the middle and in, but it caused me pause.  I also felt like a good portion of the book was spent on Eva and Nina getting into the WASP program, and training in Sweetwater.  The parts once they were assigned to Camp David and aftermath of the crash seemed really short, but maybe it was because the storyline had really picked up by then.  I admit I spent the last part of the book crying, from the moment  the hearing needed until the end of the book.  It was so heart wrenching in a good way.  Needless to say this was a book "Couldn't Put Down" as I finished it in two days.