A Map of the Sky

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Thank you to Lion Fiction and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

An enjoyable read that opened my eyes to the way children can perceive and understand (and also misunderstand) adult behavior and situations. The author does a wonderful job of describing Kit's thoughts and his emotions, although I did find his characterization a bit young for being 11 years old.
A lovely book that tells the story of a just-turned 11-year-old boy as he tries to understand situations that are just too much part of the adult world for him to grasp.
The author has really tried to get inside young Kit’s mind and tell the story through his eyes and his experiences. Understanding of the wider world, the bigger situations, are revealed to us as Kit learns them - not always as we expect.
The characters were believable and likeable, and the descriptions of the places were fantastic – you could almost see/smell them. Seeing them through Kit’s London-child eyes made them so much more vivid - I would like to have seen more of these descriptions, especially during the walk to Whitby where you just know that Kit would have been bouncing with excitement and Bert would have been eager to point out what he was seeing ...
My only criticism is that Kit seems to be just a little younger than just-turned-11 - if he’d been a year or so younger,, I would have believed his character just a tiny bit more! On the  other hand, the mix of “trying to be grown up” with “still a child” does work ...

Disclosure: I received an advance reader copy of this book free via NetGalley. All opinions on my own.
Sadly, this was not what I expected. :( I wanted there to be much more of a focus on Beth's chronic illness since that is what drew me to the book in the first place. Still enjoyable, but just disappointing in my opinion.
Lovely feel good story. It was well written and flowed well. Easy to read and hard to put down. Perfect on these summer nights
A good story line with interesting characters. I found it somewhat slow paced but loved the lush descriptions of the settings.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Claire Wong is a totally new author to me, but I was intrigued by the description of the book when I saw it on Netgalley.*

The premise is charming - Kit, an 11 year old boy, decides to take on a 'quest' to help the owner of the B&B he is staying in with a map of her childhood haunts - all the secret and special places she wishes to share with her own family but is having trouble remembering herself. Along the way he must figure out what is going on with his own family, and the other adults around them in the B&B.

I generally really enjoy stories like this, where the narrator is a younger person and we are seeing the world through their eyes and thoughts; there are some wonderful moments of observation by Kit and we really do learn what is going on just as he does, but I can't help but wish the 'quest' itself was more detailed. While overall I did enjoy the story, the idea which drew me in - him exploring in the way that only a child really can - doesn't go on for long enough for me. I waited for more of the lovely descriptions of the wilds of the area, of the natural world through his eyes. A relatively minor complaint but what is there is lovely, so it isn't a bad thing that I wanted more of it!

I will definitely check out any further releases to see if they also pique my interest like this title did.

* I received this novel as an ARC from NetGalley.co.uk and the publishers Lion Fiction.
An interesting read seeing the world through the eyes of 11 year old Kit.
Assume a sequel is planned as lots of scope left for a follow up.
Such a heart-warming, satisfying read. Beautifully written and totally captivating. Outstanding. Will certainly look out for this author's next offering.
This book is really beautiful. It tells the story through the eyes of an eleven year old boy trying to understand some very adult situations, circumstances and reasonings. This book is so well written with such care love and attention to detail. I’m sure everyone will be talking about this book this year.