Meetings

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Sep 2019

Sea of Bones by Debra O'Donoghue is about Juliet, Duncan, and their friends and family as they come to realize that her nieces death had a lot more to it than a suicide.

This is a very dark novel, and deals with very dark material, but is well written and engaging.

The mystery is intense and deals with a variety of very serious topics, and isn't suitable for a young audience, but for fans of Gone Girl or similar novels, this might be worth your time.

I did receive a copy in exchange for an honest review.
I found this book a little confusing and difficult to get in to. It is a well crafted thriller, but it didn't quite work for me.
Y'all this really did have me on the edge of my seat! Wooooo what a read! I will say at first I wasn't sure what to make of this book.. I honestly had to set it aside and start on another one but I hate leaving books unread!! So I came back to it and I am really glad I did! Winner!
3 for neutral.  I’m a very moody reader and it just was too hard for me to really understand what was going on, making it impossible to finish,  Will update if able to read and enjoy at a later date.
This debut novel is a slow burn psychological thriller.
The plot is complex and has lots going on so you need to concentrate when reading it.
This book has lots more depth than other books of this genre
There are twists and turns throughout the story and the author doesn’t shy away from difficult topics.
Great book
Complex and dark thriller with lots of strands which need to be connected to solve the mystery. Interesting characters who gave moral dilemmas aplenty.
A really good, well written, psychological thriller full of twists and turns, full of emotions, you feel like you are in the story.
Good from start to finish.

Thank you to NetGalley and Legend Press for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
This is the first novel by this author and I found it to be very well done.   It was a bit slow to get going but got better as it went along.  the Characters are well written and the world building good.
Janice is suffering a loss of her 22 year old niece. The family are told that she committed suicide but she just doesn't believe it so she goes back home and starts digging things up trying to find the truth.
Things progress from there with plenty of ups and downs.
Good suspense writing look forward to reading more from this author.
What an amazing novel! The character development was incredible, the story line flowed seamlessly and I was captivated the whole time. Highly recommended!
A psychological thriller that may be fantastic for some, but it simply was not for me. I tried very hard and while I found the concept intriguing I had a hard time getting into the story or connecting with the characters.  I encourage readers to give it a shot as it may be one their favorite stories
Dramatic storytelling featuring sharp characters with a fabulous plot ! I highly recommend ! Thanks to Netgalley and Legend Press for the opportunity to read and review this book ! Opinions are solely mine alone ! #Netgalley #LegendPress #SeaOfBones
I did not really care for this book. It's a slow burn for me and it was really hard for me to get into it. I know there are a lot out there that love that style of book and I would recommend it if you do!
Great read. The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
Sea of Bones, Deborah O'Donoghue's debut novel, is a slow-burn psychological thriller with a whole lot of intrigue and some great characters; for a debut, it certainly marks the beginning of the career of an author to watch. The plot is complex with lots going on and for that reason, you have to have your wits about you whilst reading, but as I enjoy a challenge this was a welcome surprise for me as opposed to off-putting. There is a lot more substance to this book than many other thrillers and the breadth and depth really kept me both interested and gripped from beginning to end. It's well written and plotted with a sophisticated subtlety rarely found in the genre today.

The differing perspectives help make the story more rounded and the short chapters make it easy to read "just one more" before bed; both are executed in an adept fashion. There are a few well-placed twists throughout and the author doesn't shy away from exploring deeper real-world issues including topical societal and political problems. More precisely she touches on mental health, suicide, child sexual exploitation, loss and grief. One of my favourite parts, though, has to be the beautiful Scottish setting. The descriptions are vivid and evocative and added a unique atmosphere which I adored.

If you appreciate thrillers that keep you on your toes then I'm willing to bet you'll find much to love here. Many thanks to Legend Press for an ARC.
I enjoyed reading this book from the first to the last page. A good premise well executed. Plenty of twists and turns to keep me interested. I would definitely recommend this novel and look forward to her next offering. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it.
This novel is set between Inverness, Elgin and along the Moray coast. The author treats us to beautifully descriptive writing allowing us to visualise the Scottish coastline. We gain insight into what life is like in Inverness and Elgin in stark contrast to the characters main home in London. During our first introductions to Juliet (the main character) we someone who is struggling to come to terms with her nieces death. She is adamant that her niece wouldn’t commit suicide , not without talking to at least one member of her family. Everyone around her thinks she has become obsessive with her reasoning and she is slowly starting to question her own mental health. She is paranoid about it already, her twin sister has bipolar disorder and is aware of the statistics of twins being especially at risk.

Juliet is a wonderfully realistic character, she has strengths, weaknesses, personal quirks and flaws. This character is so different from others I have recently read, it was very refreshing. Juliet was in her 40’s and it was wonderful to have a more mature heroine, she had lived a successful life and had the benefit of life experience in tackling the event of her niece’s death.

I think the main influences in Juliet’s life were Beth, her niece and Fiona Goldman, her boss. She definetly became a better person when Beth came along and helped bring her up while her sister was ill with bipolar. Fiona spurs her on to be the best she can be in her career and has learned everything she knows from her. She was grounded and settled with both influences but now Beth’s dead and Fiona’s career is in tatters – can Juliet hold it all together?

In this heartbreaking story of loss and a woman’s journey from grief to uncovering a well buried secret. Juliet learns to be persistent, to follow your gut instinct and never giving up. When you feel something isn’t right it usually isn’t.

There were instances that the the story was very slow – probably up to around 60%. I struggled to get through it but after that point the story seemed to unfold more. The writing was good, with excellent eye to detail in her descriptions. For me personally, i didn’t think that the story connected very well between Beth’s death and the secret that was revealed towards the end. I found it a bit unrealistic, especially considering the location of the story and the nature of Beth.

I gave this 3 stars. It’s a decent read, just for me it didn’t work to it’s full potential. It was well written, I didn’t feel shocked at the twists and turns that the book provided.

3 STARS
I liked this one a lot. It had a good plot and an atmospheric setting with enough twists and turns to keep you interested.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me review this book
Title: Sea of Bones
Author: Deborah O’Donoghue
Publisher: Legends Press
Pages: 288

Disclaimer: I received this advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. It in no way influences my rating.

Review:
In Deborah O’Donaghue’s debut novel we explore a psychologist thriller with many social and political themes tied in. This is a fast paced book that will keep you on your toes. I enjoyed the third person narrative as it helped keep track of all of the characters introduced. Some characters I felt were unnecessary and only distracted from the plot, but overall I enjoyed it. I really liked how mental health was portrayed, however some of the themes of the book were slightly disturbing and could be triggering for some. I would read this book knowing that before you go into it. Solid 3.5 star rating for this quick thriller!

You can purchase your copy of this book on Amazon on July 1st, 2019!
Thank you netgalley for sending me this book to reveiw. It was well written with a good plot to the storyline. Very enjoyable
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book!

Juliet is haunted by the death of her niece, Beth. Deep down, she feels that she didn't die by suicide, as the police report shows. So what really happened?

This book is a rollercoaster. So much happens, and yet, at the same time, the novel drags on. The first half is very dry and seems to take forever to slog through, and the second half just throws tons of information at the reader. I honestly thought that it wasn't paced well, and that too many things were going on to make it cohesive. Suicide, rock starts, politics, child sex rings, mental illness...all this and more happened in the space of one book. It was a little too much.