A Gift in December

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

The perfect, cosy read for a cold winter evening. Ideal for curling up with a mug of cocoa by the fire. An easy, heartwarming read to get you in the mood for Christmas. Set in London and Norway and combining threads of heartbreak, bravery and romance set against the background of WW2.
An easy read that will totally get you in the Christmas mood. The weather miserable? Then curl up with a hot drink and immerse yourself in this feel better story. Enjoyable!!
Enjoyed reading this book - the perfect cosy read for an autumn afternoon.

The story is set in London and Norway, and successfully intertwines several threads - heartbreak and romance, the glamorous world of the social media star, the story of the Christmas tree gifted to the UK by Norway each year - set against an intriguing backstory of bravery and romance in World War II.

Some great characters in here - I particularly liked Jane (our heroine) and Ben, Thomas, Natasha - and even  Philip.

All in all a very enjoyable light read - the snowy setting is the perfect appetiser for Christmas!

My thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for an ARC.
This was an excellent read.  It was very well written and the characters felt very real.  The setting in Norway sounded beautiful. This book had me gripped to the end.  Excellent.
An enjoyable christnas themed read.  It focuses on Jane a journalist who has recently broken up with her boyfriend. Jane is sent to Norway to see the big London tree collected and to do a travel report on the journey.

The journey to the tree collection is fun and varied.  There's a right mix of characters and the destinations and the hotels are described wonderfully.

Mingled into Janes journey is a could be romance and a story from WW2.

Plenty to keep you interested.

3.5 cosy read stars
Looking for a book to get you in the Christmassy mood? Well, grab a hot chocolate, a blanket, light the fire, and snuggle up with this - A Gift In December. A well written quick read, with characters you’ll actually like!
A lovely story with a bit of history and mystery that unwinds as the story goes on. Somewhat predictable but has left me smiling nonetheless with a keen desire to visit Norway in the winter!
A gentle easy to read story with a will they, won't they plot, definitely keeps you hooked to the very end
A lovely easy to read seasonal tale with a dose of mystery, romance and a good dusting of festive magic to give everything a lift and a glow! Great to cuddle up with in December .... but a little odd to read and review on the beach in August!
A modern day story with an old mystery to be solved. A bit of romance,betrayal and a lot of feel good. An easy read and a good mystery.
Thoroughly enjoyed this heart warming book. So much of it is spent with a will they, won't they thought process but which team are you backing....

Absolutely loved it!
A brilliant book . Had me gripped from the first chapter . Good Christmas story and a very good read
A lovely festive read set in Norway which starts off slow and continues to burn to the end with romance. Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley for letting me review this book.
A lovely story.  Jane is an award winning journalist, but her boyfriend Simon, a journalist with the same magazine, felt neglected while she was working so hard on her major story, and left her.  She is terribly upset and unable to settle at work, so her editor gives her an assignment to give her a break In routine, she has to go to Norway with a group of journalist from other publications, to join in with the selection of the Queen if the Forest, the giant Christmas tree that  Norway sends to England each year in grateful thanks for all their help during the war, when England provided a haven for King  Haakon and his government when Germany overran the country and demanded the puppet leader Quisling was put in place to run the country.   Jane is horrified at the assignment, but she is made to go, along with Ben, a photographer who works for the same magazine.  They don’t know each other well, Ben’s assignments take him out of the country for weeks at a time.

The journalists receive first class treatment throughout and Jane is starting to enjoy herself.  They are accompanied by a very charming, very old man, Thomas Erikson, a famous war hero.. Jane notices that he seems troubled about something, and one evening they start chatting.  He tells her a story, and asks her to do something for him.  He wants her to go to a place in the forest a few hours away, and find something g for him.,  she will be in trouble with the tour organiser for missing the day’s activities, but she wants to help, so she agrees to go. Another journalist and television personality, recently embroiled in a huge scandal, Philip, meets her as she is sneaking out of the hotel and agrees to take her.  They find what Thomas is looking for but Philip is a very unreliable bloke, and they run out of petrol on the way back, and have to be rescued.  This is not the only time that he lets Jane down!  Thomas shares the find with Jane, and Ben as he  is Norwegian and can translate.   It appears to be a very romantic and one-sided love affair, and Thomas is eager for Jane to find Marit and tell her story.

Lots of things go awry on the rest of this trip, there are moments of high drama, and some very funny moments as well.  Everything goes badly wrong for Jane, but luckily some of the others  help her sort everything out. She manages to please her editor with a very special story for the Christmas edition of the magazine, which is, of course Marit’s story; and we end with a very happy ever after which definitely has the aah! factor.  A delight to read.
I have never read this author before, but thoroughly enjoyed it. The setting was beautifully described and very festive. The story was heartwarming with humour, romance and mystery. Lovely read.
Brilliant. I didn’t quite know what to expect. An interesting story line with brilliant, believable characters. Thoroughly enjoyable.
The traditional Christmas tree gift from Norway to Britain, what's the history?
A group of journalists and bloggers are sent out to report on the story of how the tree is chosen.
How will all of the people get on will reputations get the better of people?
Broken hearts, secrets and hidden agendas come to the forefront of this book.
It had me hooked from the start and my mind was over thinking everything. A great read.
Never too early to start reading Christmas books in my opinion! I found the descriptions of Norwegian festive traditions fascinating and the two intertwined stories from the present day and during the 2nd World War were both relatable and heartwarming. The late plot twist was a surprise to me, great to read about a strong, daring female character in wartime though. Would start your December reading off with a smile.
An easy to read story, set partly in the present but with references to a past story.  What you think is just a normal Christmassy story at the end shows that there was a big reference to events of the past.  Enjoyable read.
I loved this book. The writing was so descriptive I thought it was actually the season of good hope. A lovely, romantic, light read that I'll no doubt read over the festive period.