SPANK: Odyssey

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Jun 2019

This book is nearly unreadable. I was unable to bring myself to finish it. I found the book to be poorly written and the characterizations to be awful. I wanted to like the book - with an interesting summary and the great cover... who wouldn't. Well, you shouldn't.
DNFed
The plot sounded intriguing, and I was looking forward to enjoying this book. However, it did not work well with me. I was confused with was going on. I was thrown right into a new world without introductions, and it was a bit much for me.

I am not sure if this book is part of a series or if there are other books I am supposed to have read before hand.
Average writing with a confusing story and unlikable characters just doesn't make for an enjoyable read, no matter how profane and explicit it may be. This was a case of the description being more interesting than the book itself. It was disappointing.
Yeah... I was prepared for this being explicit and profane, and I was intrigued by the description of the hero having "ethnically diverse crew", which from the blurb I assumed would be diverse in terms of sexuality and gender as well.... but I was not prepared for the very immature and confusing prose (honestly, I couldn't even work out some sentences), or the repeated use of ableist slurs (I appreciate this might be used to show us the character's prejudices, but it just didn't sit right with me).  Not for me!
Download was only available in send to Kindle format and was thus impossible for me to read on either PC or with my ereader.
It is difficult to describe what kind of story this is.  It seemed to be a weird mashup of World of Warcraft, Galavant, Priscilla Queen of the medieval desert meets S&M.  Is that speculative fantasy fiction? I'm not sure.  It definitely put the F in fantasy.

It had the potential to be an amusing parody of the hero's journey, but honestly, it was as dull as a box of hair.  Most of the plot was repetitive, made no sense and the characters were obnoxious and annoying. Their emotional responses to anything would veer from weeping to shouty to giggling in seconds.  The whole purpose of the roadtrip and confronting his arch nemesis was because his parents liked some other kid more than him?  Really?!?  And latex bodysuits in a hot, sandy environment... well that sounds extremely uncomfortable.
I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sadly, not my cup of tea. I only truly liked Ken, mostly because his reactions mirrored mine perfectly for a large portion of the book. The other characters were utterly uninteresting to me. Personally, I also did not particularly enjoy the writing style. I am aware that this is probably supposed to be a parody, but I did not find it particularly humorous, anyway.

Some wordings just seemed awkward and almost juvenile to me, and the fact that I can't tell whether it was purposefully that way or not is definitely an issue for me. I mean...

"No!" Porthos screeched with happiness[...].

...yeah.

tl;dr: This book might work for you, but it did not work for me, disappointingly.
This one I read purely for the cover because yeah ice-cream with a ball gag, so had no idea what to expect. At best a good book, at worst another painful parody. It was a good book. I enjoyed it and signed up to get the free novella straight after. It takes a couple of chapters to get into but after that it’s a journey of discovery, balancing emotions, nudity and a little romance. Plenty of character growth. I loved Dom, Subi and the rest of the gang.
I don't even really know how to rate this book - it is probably one of the weirdest books I've ever read . . . that said, I'm not mad at it.  It's completely absurd and weird and crazy but there's also a lot to Domino.  Plus its absurdity is what made it hilarious.  Sure there were moments where I had no idea what was going on, but to be perfectly honest, sometimes you need books like that in your life.  And in my life, at that moment, this book was the book that I needed.  So I'll take the ridiculous and definitely recommend it to my friends who could also use a bit of ridiculous in their lives too.
DISCLAIMER: THIS BOOK CONTAINS PROFANITY, VIOLENCE, AND EXPLICIT SEXUAL CONTENT.

This book. Is just so much and more. I don’t know what I was expecting going into this story. But it certainly wasn’t what I got out of it. This book is so cleverly written. It has absolutely everything g jam packed into it. It is one of those stories to read when you are looking for something so far removed from normal books as it will come. But that’s what makes this book so fabulous. I enjoyed this interesting book. Thank you.