Cover Image: The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen

The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen

I absolutely loved this rollercoaster of emotions book. Difficult in parts but written so well you are so involved in the characters that you can’t stop reading. I was sad when this book ended
Thank you Simon & Schuster UK and Net Galley I loved this book.
I have read Juliet Ashton's other books and for me this was by far the best., great storyline, excellent characters
and highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.  Bring on the next one .
This was a good read; well-written although slightly predictable at times. It dragged a little at points. Would recommend.
I've read many the glowing review of this book, but unfortunately I can't ard one to the pile.

I found the book dragged quite a lot, so maybe the writing style isn't for me. There were also a couple of triggers that popped up throughout this book and made it quite difficult reading for me - it depicts cheating (of which I am not a fan) and domestic violence. They're well written, but touchy subjects for me.
I always love reading Juliet’s books and I am a little late to the party with this one. But .... better late than never as this is truly lovely.

About the book:

Sadie McQueen has leased a double fronted space in this small cul de sac in a culturally diverse corner of central London. The cobbles muffle the noise of double-deckers roaring past the arched gates. Turn right and you are in a futuristic maze of corporate glass monoliths. Turn left and you see a wide street with many different houses. Towering above the mews are the degenerating tower blocks of an infamous estate. The old folks home and the nearby school are both in need of TLC; the private members' club that set up shop in a listed Georgian building has been discreetly refurbished at huge expense.

Into this confusion comes Sadie. She fell in love with the street the moment she first twisted her ankle on its cobbles. Her double-fronted unit is now a spa. She has sunk all her money into the lease and refurbishment. She's sunk all her hope into the carefully designed treatment rooms, the calm white reception space, the bijou flat carved out of the floor above.

Sadie has a mission to connect. To heal herself from tragedy. Sadie has wrapped the mews around her like a warm blanket, after unimaginable loss and unimaginable guilt. Her hard-won peace is threatened, not only by the prospect of the mews going under but by a man aptly named Hero who wakes up her comatose heart.
Sadie has a lot to give, and a lot to learn, not least that some ghosts aren't ghosts at all.

Brilliant, fantastic, poignant story which was extremely heart warming and moving that I loved every moment of reading this. This story flows like a fine wine and uplifts you along the way. You will cry, laugh and feel full of joy.

Well done Juliet. 5 out of 5.
I love Juliet Ashton and have read several of her books. They’re great books with a real human heart. The author draws you in, and handles weighty subjects lightly. Love her.
I loved this book, just wish I had it to read now during lockdown as I happily didn’t want to put the book down!!!! Not just a mystery but a romance with unique twists and turns that you don’t see coming. Not your ordinary formulaic chick-lit, but a story of multiple lives with heart and community at the heart of it.

I am hoping the author follows up as I would love to read what happens next as you become invested in these characters.
Thank you Netgalley and Simon & Schuster UK for this book. I really loved it; it reminded me of Ruth Hogan's books which I also thoroughly enjoyed - fabulous characters, somewhat predictable but cosy storylines and a satisfying ending. All in all, a great read.
I’d like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy for review.

The Fall and Rise if Sadie MqQueen is a heart warming tale about family, forgiveness and putting the past behind you. It follows Sadie a beautician and how she deals with her past after Hero, moves into the area. Hero runs a clinic helping people that have issue with addiction.

This story was beautifully written and the attention to detail was astounding. It represents real people overcoming real problems and I just fell in love with the whole thing. The characters were all well developed and I may be a little in love with Hero.

A brilliant, poignant and heartwarming story that made me smile and moved at the same time.
It's the first book I read by this author and won't surely be the last as Ms Ashton is a talented storyteller.
The cast of characters is well thought and interesting, the story flows and keeps you hooked, the setting was vividly described.
It was an excellent read, highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Juliet Ashton is one of my favourite authors so I couldn’t wait for her latest book and this certainly doesn’t disappoint!

The book is set around Cherry Blossom Mews and told through the eyes of Sadie, who is recovering from a tragedy. Sadie is surrounded by the other residents of the mews who have formed a family of sorts, all of whom are on a journey of their own. A surprising twist changes Sadie’s life forever. Warm and uplifting, it’s a great case study of relationships.

This story is full of laughter and joy but some tearful moments as well. Easy to read, the writing just flows naturally, it’s a true escape from real life that is definitely worth a read!
If your favoured reading material is a compelling tale with a good sprinkling of relationships, imperfection, hope, secrets and humour then The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen by Juliet Ashton is a must-read for you!

Sadie McQueen lives on Cherry Blossom Mews, an unassuming street in a corner of London. She attends weekly Residents’ Association meetings for support, to share news and a natter, and through Sadie, the reader gets to know more about Sadie herself and the other characters in the story.

From the outset there was so much happening in this wonderful tale of friendship, guilt, grief, happiness and life! At times, this was a very empowering and hopeful read that was full of strength and a keen sense of humanity. On the flip side, it was quite a difficult book regarding the deep rooted discussions and serious topics it contained, as well as the way in which many of the characters had been deceived. The story-line was a perfect cocktail of different courses and characters that blended naturally to create a heartwarming, powerful story.

I was totally smitten with this book. Juliet Ashton instantly drew me in with her thoughtful and exceptional writing. The story-line and plot were both highly intriguing and extremely emotional. There was a whole raft of characters that Sadie encountered who helped to support her as she as she gradually came to accept herself, her experiences and traumas. The story was witty and amusing in parts and the serious issues were tackled with empathy and compassion.

Although one or two of the scenarios necessitated the suspension of disbelief, the characters were all wonderfully solid and and I felt like I had met them all personally. The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen is my first by Juliet Ashton and there was no room for repetitiveness or boredom here!

I recommend this novel without a flicker of hesitation, so don’t miss out!

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my request, from Simon and Schuster UK via NetGalley and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
A really lovely story about a small community of individuals who regularly meet for the residents meetings . They are a mixed assortment of individuals and there are some heartbreaking and humorous stories of them all . This is such a lovely read and you will be left feeling satisfied once you have finished
This was a lovely read. Uplifting, warm and full of human kindness. This is a novel about community and is structured around the monthly resident’s meeting. Our main character, Sadie, lives on Cherry Tree Mews. It’s not the best area, but it’s a safe space that Sadie really values and we begin to understand why when we learn more about her past. She seems to carry a sense of loss and a terrible weight of guilt.

It’s when Hero comes into her world that we start to see more of why Sadie feels this way. One of the major issues the community faces is the possible siting of an addiction recovery centre in the area. Residents are largely against the scheme, but when Hero comes along and talks about its benefits, their opinion starts to change. It’s clear that Hero and Sadie have a connection, but she tries to avoid it at first. Maybe, because she realises it might force her to open up. Hero confides in her about his marriage to Zizzi and their twelve year old boy, Hero has always wanted to make a difference, but Zizzi was a social media star who wanted fame and money. They became incompatible. Slowly, Sadie starts to open up about her past and finds she feels lighter.

This book isn’t just about romance though, it’s about how very diverse people can come together and form a community, even friendships that can be just as strong as family. In a time where people seem increasingly polarised, it was refreshing to read about people finding common bonds and supporting one another.
Well Juliet Ashton really likes to put her characters through it in her novels, she throws everything she has at them and this book is no exception.

Sadie is such a complex main character. She has a troubled past and a positive present and she is such a solid part of her community. I loved what she tried to make happen in her little corner of the world and I also really respected where she had come from. There really is so much that has gone on in Sadie's past in so many ways that it is a surprise to us all she is living the life she is living. I love the storyline that this author wrote for Sadie and I really feel like I knew her as a real person by the end of this book.

This book has a whole host of side characters too, this is a really big cast and they really do each get their own slice of the pie when it comes to plot points. Each of them is well-developed and has their own drama going on either in their present or in their past. The trouble was, I was so invested in finding out about Sadie's past and her life that I didn't love the side plot as much as I should have done. I saw it a bit more as a distraction than as an enhancement to her world. I liked the little bit of romance that we had going on and the friendship but I didn't feel as invested in these other characters the same way as I felt invested in the main storyline.

This book tackles some big issues and there are definitely some care warnings for domestic abuse, substance abuse and death that come with this book. This is not an issues based book though and I really feel like the substance abuse is dealt with really well over the course of the novel. If you love reading very character driven novels then this book is for you.
The Fall And Rise Of Sadie McQueen is a book from a genre I don’t really read a lot from, preferring a good thriller but this book snared me in with its quirky characters and the ups and downs of the main character, Sadie’s life.
I liked the layout of this book, at the start of each chapter is an email stating the weekly agenda for the Cherry Blossom Mews Residents Meeting, this was a good way of getting to know the residents and ensuring you didn’t forget them. All the residents are great characters in their own rights and that made this a better read because the characters were all different and were very well developed.
Although this was a predictable read it was a great read getting there and at times it’s not quite the light hearted read I had it down for.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Simon and Schuster UK for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
Sadie McQueen lives on Cherry Blossom Mews, in a community that – you quickly start to learn – is made up of people that are in troubles, have problems, tragic pasts, feel no hope, and even if they don’t realise this, the landlord of the mews has realised it and amassed all those lost souls together. The residents meet regularly at their association meetings where they are supposed to have an “agenda” but the meetings always end with gossip and exchanging news. They support each other incredibly, even if they do this without knowing this.
The little community means everything to Sadie. It is a place where she can heal her heart and start her life again after a tragic event in the past. She sets up Sakura, a spa, where she employs the incredibly honest and mouthy Fi and, even if she isn’t sure if it’s a good move, Cher, a sister to the local mafia – twins. And then U – Turn, a therapy centre for addicted moves to the mews, even with some opposition from the neighbours, and there is Hero, and Sadie has a chance to move with him, to come out of her shell, maybe even find love, but can she forgive herself for what has happened in the past?

It is really, really hard to write review for this book, I actually put it off for the last moment, a day or two before my stop on the blog tour, and the reason for this is very obvious – this book is so wonderful, this book is everything, this book is a gem of a read – what more can I say? I loved it from the beginning to the end, lived and breathed with the characters and yes, it left me in pieces but also feeling so positive.

Juliet Ashton can for sure write her characters, giving them incredibly huge personalities. The banter and interactions between them feel so real, raw and genuine. There is a whole eclectic bunch of them, all so different and with different personalities but all with strong, distinctive voices and you can’t help but immediately fell in love with all of them. Amber and her Yummy Mummy Cafe and Party Emporium, serving all things vegan and showing her perfect live on Instagram. Bob and Mrs. Bob with their cafe, Mary with the dogs, slowly learning about her family betrayal and regaining hope, running officially MOBuk charity shop and, unofficially, another charity that you’re going to learn about when you read the book, Hero with his broken marriage and privileged background, Cher and her notorious criminal twins, Michael with Qwerty bookshop, Fi, feisty, quirky and strong on the outside but so vulnerable inside. And there are some other characters, that I won’t mention but that are so important and significant to the plot – all of them were endearing, all of them broken, all of them needing each other and , deliberately or not, healing each other through their acceptance, friendship and compassion.
And Sadie, who is at the heart of this book, so brave and strong. The more I read, the more I loved this woman, my heart went to her. There were things in the past she’d rather forget, and honestly, if I were Sadie, I’m not sure I’d have enough strength and determination to get back up and try again. She, on the other hand, lost herself to find herself afresh, went where nobody knew her to build a new life for herself. I wished all the best for her, and seeing her coming across every new obstacle that life has been throwing her way, I wanted to give her a standing ovation. Learning about the horrors of her past and her losses helped to understand her wanting to be anonymous, not being able to open to new love, her terrible guilt but also it made me wish desperately that she’s going to find the highly deserved peace.

Each chapter starts with the invitation to the weekly Cherry Blossom Mews Residents Association meeting, and the more you read, the more you start to appreciate them, as they brilliantly capture the nature of the hosts. The meetings themselves are incredibly entertaining, fabulous parts of the book, where more gossip was shared than actual work done but there was so much heart in those meetings! And they actually tell the real stories of the characters, sharing their illnesses, betrayal, deaths, addictions and hopes, while dealt with empathy and understanding from the other residents, showing that also a community of generally strangers can be closer to you than your family. But of course, there are also things happening between the meetings, things that will make you smile, laugh, cry and start to believe that there is hope.

The book is full of poignant moments that are brilliantly written with humour added to them. It’s not too saccharine, not all sugar, and there isn’t always a happy end, and the balance between sad and funny, happy and heartbreak is absolutely perfectly measured. Sure, there were things that were too coincidental, and some that didn’t ring so true to me – though I don’t want to tell you what exactly it was, as I’m immediately going to spoil one of the biggest turns in the story – but really, everything happens for a reason, right, and it did work in this story perfectly well, as the plot was solid, thoughtful, well concocted and believable, even with the little hiccups.

“The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen” was a heart – breaking and heart – mending beautiful story about small community, about friendship, hope, love, loss and grief, filled with secrets, lies and misunderstandings, about finding support and friendship that is stronger than any other bonds. The author, as usual, touches upon many serious issues, she writes about alcoholism, abuse, addictions, social media but she writes with tons of understanding, without judging, giving us a wider spectrum. It’s a gorgeously written book and the characters were full of life, feelings and sentiments, being able to speak about emotions in a way I wasn’t even sure is possible. It shows life how it is, raw and brutal, full of surprises and twists that don’t always lead to happy ends. The book, the characters are going to stay with me for a long time, I will be recommending this book left and right – it’s a MUST read that deserves to be shouted about from the rooftops.
I feel so sorry for any books I read after this one as Sadie McQueen is going to be a tough act to follow! This was incredible!!!!! Emotional, humourous, romantic, dynamic, relatable....honestly, it had everything I could have wanted from a book and more. I was gutted when it finished.

Everyone who lives in Cherry Blossom Mews has a unique story to tell. If you sat down with any one of the residents, you'll end up finding out much more than you bargained for. However, despite all of the individual heartache, despair, uncertainty and what not, every single resident has one thing in common; they want to belong.

Sadie McQueen is the main character of the book, and her story had my jaw hitting the floor in shock. How one person can pull themselves through what she did is just incredible. She doesnt see how strong she is, but, given the truth of her past, can you really blame her?

Family (both blood and self picked) is at the heart of this storyline. Juliet Ashton doesnt say that every family is perfect and without problems, nor does she suggest that every family can rival the ones on Eastenders, instead the author has made her characters relatable. She has made them endure things that one of us could relate, empathise with, acknowledge, or even learn from. You never know the full truth of what someone else is dealing with unless they come out and tell you themselves, and this book highlights that fact, and the way that people are so quick to come to their own conclusions, absolutely beautifully.

At times, #SadieMcQueen was quite a difficult book to read in terms of the deep rooted discussions, serious topics, and the way in which many of the characters had been deceived. On the other side of the coin, Sadie McQueen was also empowering, hopeful, full of strength. In other words, the storyline had the right mix of paths, and it all came together to create such a powerful story that warmed my heart.

I could sit here and say what all of the characters had gone through, but I won't because, even if I did drop hints, it would take the shine away from the authors hard work. I'm basically saying to you that spoilers suck!

I absolutely adored finding out about all the different walks of life in the Mews, and I just loved the strength of the community spirit and the way spirit everyone came together to help one of their own. It didn't seem to matter whether Fi was going through hard times herself, she would still be there for her best friend, Sadie, should she need her and visa versa.

The best part of the book for me, was the way in which Juliet Ashton came alive in her storytelling. I could feel the emotion behind the words when it was needed, yet I could also feel the elation and hope fulness too.

I truly couldn't have asked for anything more from 'The Rise and Fall of Sadie McQueen' - it's a story that has truly captured my heart and soul and, if I may say so, is probably the best book that Juliet Ashton has written so far.

What an empowering, insightful, emotional and spellbinding way to start the New Year. Juliet Ashton, you have done Sadie and co, proud. This was magnificent!

Ps. Is it too early to read it again?!
Sadie intrigued me from the beginning. I wanted to know more about her guilt from three years ago and what motivated her. The clues are really well timed and by the time we know the whole story, I had so much love for her (I must admit I made some assumptions in the beginning which were way out). Although she’s vulnerable I thought she had so much strength.

The characters’ idiosyncrasies come into play at the weekly Residents’ Association meetings and through Sadie, we get to know more about them throughout the week. The timing of new characters is perfect and add even more colour to their lives.

I really enjoyed Juliet Ashton’s writing style. For instance:

“  the family ties so slack they trailed on the floor.”

“You must be super fit by now, all the jumping to conclusions you do.”

I enjoyed the dry wit and humour which balances out the heartbreak of the theme.

When I found myself getting comfortable with the story and thinking I had it sussed, WHAM, another shock is thrown into their lives. I didn’t see any of these things coming and loved the new path the story followed. It certainly kept me alert and engaged. 🙂

The Cherry Blossom Mews community drew me into their everyday lives, so much so, I continued to think about the characters long after the story ended.

The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen is a must read. I urge you to add to your wishlist.