Cover Image: The Things We Left Unsaid

The Things We Left Unsaid

I love books with dual narratives, especially those whether the narratives are in different times. However, I would have loved if this book had the narratives in first person, as I find it connects the reader much closer to the story.

I loved Eleanor's narrative set in the 1960s. It was great to see Eleanor head to university and make a life for herself. I much rathered Eleanor's narrative to Rachel's. as I felt there was a lot more action in this time.

I alos enjoy reading stories of tricky mother/daughter relationships, which was portrayed really well here.
What a beautiful story about families, parents and children. This was an easy but lovely read that I devoured over a few days.

This book is told in the then and now about a lady who is jilted at the altar.

Recommended.
This is an unusual story about families.
Rachel has been left at the altar by her husband to be, Claude who disappears without an explanation. She returns to her childhood home to live with her mother Eleanor, a successful artist. Rachel and Eleanor seem to rub each other the wrong way.
Then Eleanor wants to tell Rachel something important but before she can, she dies.
The story alternates with Eleanor's younger life and Rachel in the present day as she tries to work out what Eleanor was trying to tell her.
A gentle tale that manages to capture the arty set around Soho in the sixties.
Thanks Netgalley for ARC for an honest review.
A light hearted easy read about love and friendship. It wasn’t what I would usually read but I enjoyed it. A good book for a holiday read
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was lucky enough to live in London during the 60s and this brought back memories of walking through Soho on a Saturday evening or browsing in Biba. The characters were believable and I felt sad at the missed opportunities between Rachel and Eleanor.  I could empathise with how easily it can happen and how we think we have time to put things right - and then we don’t!
I loved this book so thank you Emma Kennedy for writing it and thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to give my unbiased opinion.
This is a gentle, unassuming story of family and friendship.

Rachel is jilted and find herself living back with her mother, Eleanor, in the family home. One half of this dual timeline story tells of Rachel’s journey forwards.

The second half of the split is all about Eleanor and her life in 60s London. She makes exciting friends and makes interesting choices!

I enjoyed all of the characters except for Claude. Somehow he felt entirely superfluous to the entire novel. We didn’t need a villain, really!

Well paced and enjoyable, this is an easy read with lots of lovely moments. Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for my copy of this book.
3.5 ★

This book delivered what it promised—a story of love and family.

We find Eleanor and Rachel grieving the loss of their husband / father and through a dual timeline NOW and THEN, we discover Eleanor's past and Rachel's present. There is a huge grief and loss component to this, letters and secrets, with a dark tone throughout. There is romance and heartbreak in this, and while there are moments and couplings I really enjoyed, many, most really, are skipped over or things just fade away.

Furthermore, Eleanor and Rachel's characters are private and aloof. You could definitely tell they are mother and daughter. Things between them never, truly feel resolved. I felt I never quite got to the bottom of them as people and in their relationship as we saw it. Even though the truth came out and things were mostly resolved. it still felt unfinished somehow. The supporting cast (almost all) were more open and brought life to the page.

I did enjoy this book, it wasn't a page turner, but it kept drawing me back in. I found the writing style impactful and impressive, I just feel underwhelmed by it on reflection. The third person POV was a was a bit clunky at times, especially in the beginning.

(ARC KINDLY PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW)
A wonderful story. When Rachel is jilted she goes back home to live with her mother Eleanor who is a famous painter, and having recently just lost her father she is grieving for him as well as for herself. While she is there a tragedy occurs that leaves Rachel searching into her mother's past to find answers about her life. The story flows effortlessly from past to the present and eventually uncovers many secrets, and finally comes to terms with the past so she can finally find happiness in her own future. A fabulous read
A really heart warming book. Thanks Emma Kennedy and NetGalley. It was easy to fall in love with various characters and the scenes set were excellent. Following the lives of Eleanor and her sister Agnes during the 60’s through to modern day the story moves about but each chapter is either Then or Now so it’s easy to follow. Eleanor is at art college in London and meets some crazy artistic people along the way. In the Now chapters it’s Eleanor’s daughter Rachel who takes centre stage. Easy to read and follow. Loved this book.
A fairly predictable and light story, which never really seems convincing.  It's pleasant enough, but I found it a bit dull and would only really recommend it as a beach-read.
This is gentle and sweet. It's very well written and the dialogue is excellent.. Not a pacey/exciting plot but very readable.
Rachel and Eleanor are a mismatched mother and daughter, but - when a crisis happens - Rachel starts to delve into her mother’s past and it’s secrets.
The story flits backwards and forwards between Eleanor’s life as an aspiring artist in the 1960s, and Rachel’s in the current day.
I found it a teeny bit of a slow burn at the start, but I was soon engrossed and the plot deviated from my expectations in a pleasing way.
There are some familiar plot devices - hidden diaries, a gardener with romantic leanings - but they’re well played.
I’d really recommend it. It’s an easy read but with some hidden depths, and the characters are well-drawn and believable too.
With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the arc, which I have enjoyed reading.
The Things We Left Unsaid by Emma Kennedy  is a wonderful trip down memory lane, to a time no longer, when the swinging sixties were happening and life seem very vivid. The storyline is of a family saga but one lovingly portrayed and written by the author.
 We read of the lives of Eleanor, Agnes, Jake, John, Hen and Charlie and then of Eleanor’s daughter, Rachel and the deaths of her beloved father, Charlie and then the death of Eleanor, her mother. Both the past and present are very vividly portrayed by Emma Kennedy and all of the characters with the exception of Claude are all fondly portrayed.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Highly recommended.
Emily Kennedy's family drama focuses on a mother and daughter relationship and secrets that turn out to have tumultuous effects. Rachel gets hit by events that leave her reeling and griefstricken, six weeks ago her father Charlie died and to compound this emotional stress, her fiance, Claude, jilts her at the altar, and she cannot get in touch with him. Having no other options, Rachel returns to the family home, and her famous artist mother, Eleanor, despite the fact the two have had a tense and troubled relationship that has never been addressed. Both women are in such pain and grief, that they are unable to offer any sense of comfort to each other. When Eleanor tries to tell her some critical information, Rachel is not in any frame of mind to want to listen to her.

Tragedy strikes, and Rachel is at long last left curious about Eleanor and wondering what it was that her mother needed to tell her. In a narrative set in two different eras, we learn of Eleanor's time in the 1960s at a London Art College, her relationship with Jake and the life he introduces her, its the swinging 60s and she finds herself amidst the bohemian artistic circles that is to have a life long impact on her future. Eleanor and Charlie struggle to conceive a child, and when Rachel is born, they pour out all their love and care on her. Rachel has always got on better with her Aunt Agnes, and is shocked at what her mother had kept from her.

Kennedy's storytelling is compassionate and human, exploring the nature of family dynamics, grief, loss, love, and a mother and daughter relationship that had Rachel feeling that her artistic talent is overshadowed by Eleanor's, with little understanding of the challenges that Eleanor had faced in her life. Many thanks to Random House Cornerstone.
This is a wonderful read. I couldn’t put it down and got pulled in to Eleanor and Rachel’s worlds,  through time. It tells of the folk of Soho in the sixties and the Chelsea Art school. The author then flits back to the present to deal with Rachel’s sadness following her relationship breakdown,
I especially liked the character of her aunt to, Agnes, who was such a believable and fun element to the book.
It’s a very satisfying read although the end seems a bit hurried and I could have read on much longer as the story concludes.
I would recommend the novel very highly and absolutely loved it.
I would buy it for all of my friends.
Rachel and her famous artist mother are grieving following the death of Rachel's father. Just when she thinks life can't get any worse 6 weeks later she is jilted at the altar. The situation forces Rachel to move back into her family home.The dual timeline story tells an emotional story of their tricky relationship. A very emotional read.
The strength of this novel is its pacing, with a dual timeline of a young woman in 1960s London and then her daughter in modern day Oxfordshire. It moved between the two timelines well, never spending too long following either. I was, however, rather unconvinced by Rachel, the daughter. Kennedy never quite gets to the bottom of how she managed to ever love the awful Claude, and she appears to have absolutely no friends (only her cousin and her aunt are ever mentioned) who could have helped her through the terrible events around her wedding. I also wasn’t convinced by her eventual romance, as it felt like a whole chunk of how they get together is missed out.
Written as part flashback and part set in the present, this is an emotional and sweet story showing relationships, families and secrets. It took me a little longer that usual for me to get into the book but I’m so glad I persevered as in the end I really enjoyed it
Vivid and vibrant story surrounded by love, art, family secrets, grief and Soho.  Completely beautiful.
A lifetime of secrets unravel in a summer of new beginnings... Will the truth set her free? You decide but whatever happens you MUST read this book!