The Unlucky Ones (Detective Jessica Daniel thriller series Book 14)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 9 Jul 2019

Another solid entry in the Jessica Daniel's series. This is the 14th book and its still going strong. Jessica finds herself in charge of an estate that has an incredibly low crime rate. However, just the year before it was one of the highest. Jessica trusts her gut that's telling her that something is wrong. Although, some tell her to leave things alone, but if you know Jessica, you know she can't. There's also murders happening that are raising some questions of their own. When certain people that have cheated death once, start dying by the exact same thing that happened to them before, Jessica begins another investigation. If you enjoy mysteries surrounding the D. I's & their investigations, then I highly recommend these books. They have just the right amount of everything--humor, mystery, action, & twists.

*Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Yet another book in the Jessica series.  I have read most of them and loved every one.  Kerry never disappoints and although a series, it could well be read as a stand-alone.
This is already the 14th Jessica Daniel book in the series, and bloody hell, I just love this woman! Her no nonsense attitude just makes the story thrilling!
Highly and I mean it, highly recommended!
I’m a long-time fan of Kerry Wilkinson’s DCI Jessica Daniels series and the latest installment did not disappoint. Wilkinson is great at creating fresh and intriguing criminal plot lines for Jessica to investigate. This time around there were two great plot threads; a crime-less estate in a crime ridden area and a spate of deaths where by bizarre coincidence people seem to be dying in circumstances similar to a previously experienced near miss.

DCI Daniels investigations make for an engrossing and thrilling read, with some great humour. Stand out moments include a hardened criminal explaining to Jessica that correlation does not equal causation, whilst she perplexed by the crimeless estate, explains that the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Several people die in what seem like unrelated individual accidents, but then DI Daniels learns that they had each previously survived a very similar near-miss. So is it a coincidence or are darker forces at work? As always there is some progress with significant events in Jessica’s personal life too.

An original and compelling plot with DCI Daniels on form to solve some challenging criminal cases. Whilst regular readers will I’m sure enjoy this it also works as a stand alone read.
#14 is lucky, lucky for us anyway!  Book 14 in the Jessica Daniels series is just as good as the first 13 books.  Kerry Wilkinson has developed Jessica's background and character so well that you feel like you know her.  The communities she lives and works in are realistic and populated by everyday people...except for the serial killer.  This author is well know for his ability to catch and keep the reader's attention, keeping the action and tension maxed.  The crimes this time are tied together in a very unique manner.  In an attempt to identify the killer, Jessica must disregard orders and place herself in danger again.  This book does end with a twist, setting us up for #15.
As always, Wilkinson knocks it out of the park with this Jessica Daniels thriller. I can’t get enough of this series!
14th book in the series
This book took a while to get going and it also lacked the humour of previous books
This book was not one of my favourites in the series.
I liked this book the beginning really gripped me and the whole idea of the murders/deaths intrigued me and made me keep reading
Kerry wilkinson ia a new author for me so i will be looking for other books of hers and i will definately buy this one when it comes out though i liked the ending i was a little dissapointed and would have liked at least a few chapters on the guy who stole the money and what he did next.. and what happened to the undercover guy.
I recently re-read the entire series (for the third time) then this next installment finally came out - the timing was spookily perfect!  I. am. obsessed. with. Jessica. Daniel.

I will never tire of this series.  Fast, twisty, predictably unpredictable...

Book 15 cannot come quickly enough

Thanks to Bookouture for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review
A fantastic serial killer thriller.  Great plot with many twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.  Thriller fans will not be disappointed.  Thanks to the publisher for my advance ebook.  This is my unbiased review..
This is the 14th book in the Jessica Daniel series by author Kerry Wilkinson. This book can be read as a stand-alone.
Henry Taylor hit by a car, Mark Stanley drowned, Lucy fell, and Tiffany McDonnell died in a fire. All incidents appear to be unconnected and accidental. But when Jessica Daniels investigates she discovers that all of the victims had previously survived near death experiences.
This book is well written, an intriguing plot that is well paced throughout and some interesting characters. All the ingredients of a good crime novel.
I would like to thank Net Galley and Bookouture for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you net Galley. I am a fan of the Daniels series and look forward to reading the books. This one was very interesting. I recommend it strongly.
The Unlucky Ones (Detective Jessica Daniels #14) – Kerry Wilkinson

Oh my god I’ve so missed Detective Jessica Daniels, it feels too long between instalments. There is not been one single book in this series that I haven’t been totally hooked by and that’s unheard of for me. I’ve definitely got everything crossed that we’ve more than a few books to come from this series so I’m afraid you’re going to have to work your little fingers to the bone Mr Wilkinson.  In my humble opinion I think that these are best read in order, as there’s such a wealth of personal and professional information about the team inside the pages.  It’s where we learn all the key players vital places within the team as well as their foibles and habits.

Although there isn’t as much action this time there is a new kind of depth and vulnerability that we haven’t seen before involving Jessica making her seem somehow more human to us. We didn’t get to see as much of the rest of the team as I would have liked but I did enjoy meeting DC Archie Davey and spending time with Rowland again.

I really don’t want to give away too much of the plot as there are plenty of reviews covering that so I’ll try to be brief, try being the operative word.

We initially have two victims one almost knocked over, then pushed in front of a car driven by DC Davey with Jessica as a passenger, the other almost drowned, then was found in the canal, spooky or what?   Imagine having to figure out how two unlucky individual deaths turn into a serial killer.  This is just the kind of puzzle that Jessica a workaholic needs to keep her brain ticking (although ‘needs’ may be the wrong word).  After all we know that her mind works in a slightly different way to rest of her colleagues.  Once she’s spotted the anomaly that others have either dismisses or overlook there’s no stopping her.

Recently assigned to a zero crime estate (is there even such a thing?) that previously was much higher tingles her spidey senses and off she goes trying to find out exactly just how a modern day Fagin moved into the estate without the police knowing.  It is on the estate that we meet the wonderful Roly who I pictured as quite a dapper chap it’s a shame that the same can’t be said about the gang of kids hanging about on bikes

I have to say that the Detective Jessica Daniels is up there in my top five officers to read.  I admire her commitment, drive and pedanticness (Is that a real word?) to both her team and the job; her sense of humour often manages to appear at just the right moment.  I often wonder if people’s attitudes towards the police would be different if they were able to like her and others of her ilk?  I’m sure there are and I’m aware that there are budgets, protocols and procedures in place that wouldn’t allow officers to go off a tangent in the way that they do in novels.

If you like/love a British police procedural I can guarantee that these are the series for you.  Treat yourself to one of these bad boys and buckle up buttercup and enjoy the ride.  Highly recommended 10/10

Read for an honest review.  Thank you Kerry Wilkinson, Netgalley and Bookouture.
I cannot believe we are at #14, this is just a great series. While this book starts off a bit slow, the story then takes off and doesn't let up. Always great to catch up with Inspector Jessica Daniel and I look forward to the next book in this series.
This is the 14th book in the series featuring Detective Inspector Jessica Daniels.  Jessica and DI Archie Davey are driving back from the Lees Estate, totally baffled as to why the estate has such a low crime rate as the crime rates on the surrounding estates have increased.  The action starts when a man appears in front of their car and is killed.  His girlfriend insists that he was pushed but no evidence can be found of that.  Jessica then discovers that he had nearly been killed before when an ex girlfriend drove her car at him.  Another body turns up in the canal and it transpires that this man too has nearly been drowned in a previous accident.  Is thi# the work of a serial killer?  As Jessica and her team investigate, more bodies turn up.  The book then flips between the investigation of the estate and the numerous killings.  We are introduced to a number of interesting characters and also into Jessica’s private life.  The plots work well together with plenty of twists and turns along the way.   It can easily be read as a standalone but is much more enjoyable when you read the series. I look forward to book number fifteen.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
The Unlucky Ones by Kerry Wilkinson is the twelfth book in the Detective Jessica Daniel thriller series and I have just loved these books. Kerry knows how to keep his audience! There's a lot of twists and turns throughout this book that will keep you hooked and guessing right till the end! I am finding Kerry's books in this series just getting better and better.

A man jumps out in front of a car which was driven by DC Archie Davey and Detective Jessica  Daniel is in the passengers seat
What starts out with this accident leads Jessica into more "accidents".

Are they accidents?

What do they all have in common?

Will Detective Jessica Daniel be able to piece it all together?

This is full of twists and turns that will have you hooked!

Highly recommend all Kerry's books especially Detective Jessica Daniel thriller series.

I'm look forward to reading more from Kerry Wilkinson, and can't wait for his next book

Big Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the e-book ARC to read and review.
EXCERPT: It was only a fraction of a second, barely a blink, when she lifted her head. There'd been a flicker of a shadow, something that shouldn't be there...

It was already too late.

BANG!

The dark silhouette of a man bounced onto the bonnet of the car and then slammed into the windscreen with a squelch and then a crunch of glass. Somebody screamed, perhaps it was Jessica herself, and then there was a squeal of rubber on tarmac. At the same time, her ears popped as the airbag exploded into her face.

There was a thump from behind, a blurring of everything and then, momentarily, silence.

Jessica touched her cheek, wiping at the dusty powder that came with the airbag.

More silence.

Her heart was charging, breathing short and sharp. She was alive.

Then the screaming started.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: A man who survived being drowned ends up in Manchester’s canal. Someone who was hit by a car is shoved in front of DC Archie Davey’s patrol vehicle.

Killers generally aren’t a happy bunch but this particular one seems to have a problem with second chances.

Luckily for DI Jessica Daniel, things are looking up. She’s been assigned to work on the most crime-free estate in the city and she’s back living with her best friend.

Things could not be hunky-dorier.

That is unless there’s a sinister reason why the estate is so free of trouble...

MY THOUGHTS: Lordy, lordy, lordy Mr Kerry, you sure can write a book! The 14th in the series and probably only the second that I have read. I think I have been missing out.

And just what, you might ask, does a car accident have to do with a serial killer? That is why you have to read this book. It is clever, very clever, and riveting, and a diabolically great plot!

Jessica doesn't have a life outside work, perhaps that is why I can relate to her. She has a mind that makes great leaps of faith, sees patterns, connections, and the tenacity to follow them up even when everyone else is moving in the opposite direction.

I think that this is a series which I need to read from the beginning, because I have a FOMO. But really? This is a great story that is easily read as a stand-alone. But I bet that, like me, by the time you're finished you'll want to go back and start the series from the beginning.

😍🤩😍🤩.5

THE AUTHOR: Kerry Wilkinson has had No.1 crime bestsellers in the UK, Australia, Canada, South Africa and Singapore. He has also written two top-20 thrillers in the United States. His book, Ten Birthdays, won the RNA award for Young Adult Novel of the Year in 2018.

As well as his million-selling Jessica Daniel series, Kerry has written the Silver Blackthorn trilogy - a fantasy-adventure serial for young adults - a second crime series featuring private investigator Andrew Hunter, plus numerous standalone novels. He has been published around the world in more than a dozen languages.

Originally from the county of Somerset, Kerry has spent far too long living in the north of England, picking up words like 'barm' and 'ginnel'.

When he's short of ideas, he rides his bike or bakes cakes. When he's not, he writes it all down.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Bookouture via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of The Unlucky Ones by Kerry Wilkinson for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

Please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the 'about'
page on Sandysbookaday.wordpress.com for an explanation of my rating system.

This review and others are also published on Twitter and my webpage sandysbookaday.wordpress.com
As Easter approaches in Manchester, DI Jessica Daniel and her fellow detectives are busy investigating a series of deaths. At first glance, these don't appear to be murders, but Jessica finds an unexpected angle -- all of the victims had previously survived life-threatening situations. Henry Taylor was hit by a car, Mark Stanley drowned, Lucy fell, and Tiffany McDonnell died in a fire. The deaths don't seem to be connected until Jessica finds out about a woman, Francine, who hands out flyers talking about "God's will." Is Francine somehow responsible for seeing that these men and women aren't allowed a second chance? It seems a far reach, but the investigation proceeds. Although Jessica is focused on Francine, she's also busy trying to figure out why the formerly crime-ridden Lees Estate has suddenly become a model community.  NO SPOILERS

Another complicated case with Jessica following her instincts and getting the job done with the help of her colleagues and friends. Jessica still has some issues in her personal life that are ongoing and Caroline makes an appearance along with a surprising reveal. The whole "team" thing wasn't as strong as usual in this book, but it's the 14th in series, so the reader is familiar with each member though I enjoy a lot more detail about them than was present here. The writing is good as always and I'm looking forward to the next installment. I firmly believe that these books should be read from the beginning, in order.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the e-book ARC to read and review.
This is the 14th in the Jessica Daniels series and is as brilliant as the rest! It completely took over my life for a couple of days as it was intriguing and a compelling read.
The Unlucky Ones is the fourteenth book in the Manchester-based Detective Inspector Jessica Daniel series and is undoubtedly the most entertaining instalment to date. Usually series' begin to lose steam before now but somehow this remains as compelling as ever. Each instalment can be read independently of one another without issue although you will miss out on the development of the recurring characters. I wasn't as keen on some of the recent episodes but this is a welcome return to form. There is something for both new and old Kerry Wilkinson fans to enjoy here in this easy to follow summer suspense fest.

When a blanket of calm descends on an estate known for its high crime rate DI Daniel and colleague DC Archie Davey are baffled and decide to investigate. But whilst driving through the council estate in question the worst comes to pass: they hit a pedestrian. They are dumbfounded and wonder what has hit them or...more precisely what THEY have hit. For all intents and purposes, it looks like a simple accident initially but the victim's other half insists that he was pushed into the path of the traffic. Jess then recalls another crime with a near-identical MO... Could it be that there's an evil serial killer at work in the local area?

This is a thoroughly entertaining and absorbing read with twists and turns aplenty and lots of danger and excitement. There is something happening in every chapter and as the book moves at a swift pace the story progresses quickly making it difficult to place down. As it's told solely from Jessica's perspective it allows you to become so much more immersed in the story than those told from multiple POVs. It also allows us to really get to know her; her personality, what makes her tick and details about her private life all add interest to the overall book; you feel invested in her story and she often feels like a friend. Superb! Many thanks to Bookouture for an ARC.