The Time of Our Lives

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 27 Aug 2019

4☆ Beautifully Heart warming!

THE TIME OF OUR LIVES is a heart warming story of friendship, new beginnings and discovery.

Erin and Lydia are very different but they come together by chance and a firm bond is sealed as the two become best friends.

Lydia is dealing with the loss of her husband and finds herself struggling to make ends meet.
Erin is also down on her luck and looking to escape.
So when Lydia asks Erin to be her lodger it's a win win for them both.

Lydia is 76 and Erin 26 but they truly prove that age is just a number and your never too old or young to forge lasting friendships.

I adored Both Characters, but Lydia melted my heart.
I really appreciated the alternative chapters POV, it meant I could really get to know them both and experience their highs, lows and heartache alongside them.

I really enjoy books that feature Characters that are old and young as it's so important to remind ourselves that no matter what age we are, we all need a lil help, support, or a friend to lean on at times.
Abby really hits home with THE TIME OF OUR LIVES just how important it is! So a big thank you for this.

THE TIME OF OUR LIVES is a compelling, at times Emotional, Touching, and Heart Warming story of Second Chances, but most importantly the Power of Friendship.
It's about Loss, Grief, Lonliness, Money worries, Betrayal, Secrets, Heartache, Strength, Support, Life lessons and a Journey of Discovery, with a good dose of Humour, Emotion and the ups and downs of life.

So if you are looking for a beautifully Compelling and Poignant Read that will Touch your heart and leave you smiling then you will adore THE TIME OF OUR LIVES!

Thank you to Aria Fiction for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Twenty six year old Erin is living her dream. Great job, great fiancé and great friends. Until one day she get the surprise of her life.

Seventy six year old Lydia is still reeling over the unexpected loss of her husband. Not to mention the fact that he has left her in unexpected debt. The only answer is for Lydia to take on a lodger. Enter Erin, and here starts a most surprising friendship.

Much more than a story about friendship between women from different generations. It’s is indeed a love story about the power of female friendship and about how age shouldn’t define us.

I loved every minute of this book. And really didn’t want to stop reading about them.
Every once in awhile you find a new author that you love.  This has to be one of the better reads of my summer.  26 year old Erin and 76 year old Lydia become best friends through a very strange set of circumstances.  Lydia takes in Erin as a boarder after her husband dies. Erin just found her fiance in bed with her best friend.  The story seems to be so real, it could take place in any neighborhood and you might know someone that reminds you of either Lydia or Erin. Each of the women thinks she is helping the other and then realize they are on the receiving end of love and support.  Deals with Alzheimer's and infidelity beautifully.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I really enjoyed this book. Two women brought together. They seem an unlikely fit - but it works. I enjoyed the back stories to both of the main characters - slightly sad and both affected deeply by their partners partner's actions. The relationship between the two of them shouldn't work but they find a common ground and both help each other out. A treat of a read.
The Time of Our Lives by Abby Williams is a terrific book that I enjoyed very much.  I love the emotions and feelings that come through, but also made me laugh at times.  Erin is twenty-six-years-old, who had it made, until she didn't, and lost everything she though was important. Lydia is seventy-six-years-old who has recently lost her husband.  Friendship forms when Lydia takes in Erin as a lodger.  I will be reading more books by this author.  I highly recommend this book.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and the publisher. Thank you.
Oh my, I loved Erin and Lydia’s story. I loved the unlikelihood of these completely different yet very similar women becoming friends.

I liked Erin. I felt for her, and I really wanted her to find happiness after everything. I loved that we got to see her journey from the lowest she could be, right through to the highest. I loved her easy going attitude, and her insecurities felt real, and her friendships with Lydia, Phil and Rachel. Her chemistry with each character is instant, and you really feel their connections. I loved her ending, it was just perfect.

Lydia is such a star in this book. From her lowest, she goes even lower just to rise above it all and put her past in the past for definite. I loved that she seems to go from this frail elderly lady in cardigans to this edgy grandma in a leather jacket. We learn about her first love Jack, her relationship with Harry, and how she deals with some deep secrets. I really liked the mystery element of where Jack was, and I wish we had more on that. Her ending was an exceptionally happy one when it could have been the complete opposite.

I really liked the writing style of this book, and the alternating chapters between Erin and Lydia made it even more amazing. I liked that we got their thoughts on the same matters. I loved that we had elements of mystery, absolute devastating moments, touching moments, and moments of pure joy.

I really enjoyed this book. Chemistry between characters, the layout of the story, and the characters really made this book an absolute delight to read. I stormed through it and I really didn’t want to leave Erin and Lydia behind..
Erin and Lydia are two women in very different places in life. Erin just discovered her fiancee has been cheating on her with her best friend. He was also her boss, so now she's unemployed, single, and alone in the world at 27. Lydia is mourning the loss of her husband of almost 50 years, and she's just discovered that he mismanaged their business affairs so she's kind of in a financial pickle. She has been dependent on a man almost her entire life and now wants to start making her own decisions. So Lydia decides to put up an ad for a roommate, and Erin answers. Despite the fact that they seem to have very little in common on the surface, they hit it off immediately. They work together to get Lydia's finances in order and Erin's life back on track. As they help each other work through various setbacks, including illness, grief, betrayal, and family estrangement, each woman examines who they were and asks whether they have the courage to be who they truly are?

This is a sweet tale of friendship crossing generations. Erin helps Lydia dip her toe into social media and iPhone usage, and Lydia's wisdom and insistence on telling it like it is helps Erin process being stabbed in the back by those closest to her. Their relationship is adorable, but it seems to develop almost overnight which was a little hard to believe. The writing was very repetitive ("roared with laughter" was over-used to the point that I wanted to start keeping track) and....plain. It's not that it was boring. The plot moved along and some dramatic things happened and problems were solved. This is going to sound rude, but I feel like this was written by an older author for an older audience. I know nothing at all about Abby Williams, so maybe I'm way off base. But I found the whole thing a little too simple and without any real depth to it. It was cute but entirely forgettable.

**Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.**
With characters that you quickly fall in love with, friendships that become strong and grow throughout the book and a book that celebrates life, family and love, how could I not have absolutely loved it. The Time Of Our Lives follows two main protagonists, the first is an elder woman in her late seventies and the second is a younger woman in her late twenties. They’re thrown together almost by chance but they end up helping each other in ways they both needed but didn’t realise.
This story was full of passion and love and I just adored every single minute I was inside of it. I really enjoyed witnessing how Erin grew stronger throughout the book and how Lydia started to learn more about herself and her life as the story continued. I instantly fell for these characters and got very emotional invested in their lives. I loved how it all ended and came together and it was definitely worth it just for that.

All in all, this is a heart moving, joyous book of self-discovery, friendship, love and family. It is a book that looks both at the past and the future and how it can all change our lives and how we live them. It looks at how sometimes, the right people walk into our lives at just the right time. It is a heart-warming story that I really loved reading and would absolutely recommend to others who want a book that is full of hope – especially after the characters deal with some horrific blows.
3.5 Stars

Abby Williams is a wonderful story teller. Her writing caused a lot of emotions, sometimes it was sorrow or love and other times I wanted nothing more than shake some sense into the characters. Her portrayal of the cast of characters in this book was so compelling that the contrariness of each came into the forefront. She showed both ends of the spectrum in this story. Her writing of emotions were making me feel love, anger, tears, sadness, frustration, and resignation.

This book taught me some important things, namely you're never too old to try new things and you're never too young to share knowledge and wisdom. This beautiful parable of a story speaks to us all, about the consequences of our life decisions, and their impact on those we love. Beautifully written, at times heart wrenching. I really enjoyed getting to know the main characters in this book. Read the book, if you will, for the beautiful emotions with friendship and love galore.
I read the synopsis for 'The Time Of Our Lives' and it certainly sounded like the sort of read, I needed at this precise moment in time.  A fun, emotional, hilarious tale involving two strong women.  Oh boy this book was all of the aforementioned and then some.  I absolutely loved 'The Time Of Our Lives' but more about that in a bit.
I couldn't help but take to both Erin and Lydia from the first moment I met them.  Initially, it doesn't seem as though they have much in common.  Erin is in her twenties and Lydia is in her seventies so from totally different generations.  However, both ladies have had their worlds turned upside down and the rug pulled out from under their feet and they both need to rebuild their lives.  Erin was engaged to her boss, she shared a flat with him and she was busy planning their wedding.  Her husband-to-be lets her down in the worst way possible which isn't helped by Erin walking in to find him at it in their bed with her best friend.  It was at this point that I wanted to jump inside the pages of the book and chase after her now ex-fiancé, whilst holding a pair of blunt and rusty scissors in my hands, so I could chop off certain parts of his anatomy and I wanted to slap the best friend silly with a wet flip flop.  I know I get far too involved in books I have enjoyed.  Lydia is also let down but her let down is caused by her husband, who has plundered their savings, left her with nothing apart from a few debts and she is left wondering what on earth she is going to do.  Lydia advertises for a lodger and Erin fits the bill.  I was so pleased that both ladies had each other to help them to rebuild their lives and their self esteem which has taken a knock.  Both ladies are sassy, determined, stubborn, fun loving, practical, lovely, compassionate and sensitive.  The ladies get on really well together and I was keeping everything crossed that somewhere along the way they would both find the happiness that they deserved and that they might get their happy ever after ending.  Does that happen?  Well you are just going to have to read the book for yourselves as I am not going to tell you.
As soon as I began to read this book, I knew that I would enjoy reading it and that reading it would become seriously addictive.  I was right on both counts.  I picked the book up only intending to read a couple of chapters but I was still there over half a dozen chapters later.  I had taken to the characters, the storylines and I loved the author's writing style so much that I just couldn't put the book down.  I binge read the book over the course of a day, which is pretty good going for me.  I am usually easily distracted but not in this case because I was able to focus only on the book and to shut out all other distractions.  In fact, the world could have ended outside and I wouldn't have noticed because I was concentrating so much on the book.
'The Time Of Our Lives' is superbly written but then I wouldn't expect anything else from the hugely talented Abby Williams (aka Fiona Ford, who has written several bestselling books).  Abby/ Fiona has a writing style that is easy to take to and easy to get along with.  She draws you into the story from the first page, she grabs your attention and she keeps your attention all the way through the book.  This might sound silly but to me this book didn't read like a book, instead it felt I was reading a transcript of a chat between friends.  I found that I became far too involved in this book from wanting to jump inside the pages of the book to give Lydia and Erin a hug, to wanting to chase the loverat boyfriend down the street, whilst I brandished a pair of rusty and blunt scissors.  I know this is a work of fiction but if I enjoy a book to the extent that I enjoyed this one, I tend to 'live' the story as if it were real.  My only complaint about the book was that it had to end.  I was enjoying the story, the characters and the author's writing style so much that I just wanted the book to continue on and on.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Time Of Our Lives' and I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to other readers.  This book had a bit of everything- there was drama, humour and romance within the book's pages.  This book made me well up at certain points and five minutes later I would be chuckling away to myself at something I had read.  I can't wait to read more from Abby Williams/ Fiona Ford.  Here's hoping that we don't have too long to wait. 'The Time Of Our Lives' has to be one of my favourite books of the year and Abby Williams/ Fiona Ford is one of my favourite authors.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
Oh, I do love a story with an older protagonist in, especially one which celebrates the latter years. This book shows how, no matter what your age, life is there to be lived to the fullest.
The novel's main themes are forgiveness, letting go, and moving on, plus a rather hefty dose of love and friendship through the generations.
Truly heartwarming.
A delightful read, great characterisation, well written and engaging.
Sometimes you just need a book to loose yourself in and one that doesn't tax your brain cells and this fits the bill perfectly.
This is a touching and beautiful tale of a friendship that crosses the generations. I can't praise The Time of Our Lives enough.
Perfect chick lit!  I loved the premise and the characters were well developed!  I recommend this for anyone looking for a light and fun read!
A wonderful read about friendship crossing the generations, that family aren’t always blood. Heartbreaking at times, but uplifting with the wonderful bond that develops between these two women, well written and engaging, my first book by Abby but I will be seeking out future work now.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
What a delightful novel! A rich, thoughtful read from an obviously talented author - and one which, I think, will appeal to all ages.

Erin is a young woman whose life has come together beautifully; with a great job and a handsome fiance, what could possible go wrong? Without warning, she finds herself without either a home or a job. At the other end of the scale is Lydia who has lost her husband of many years after a wonderful lifetime together and is shocked to discover that, far from leaving her in a comfortable financial position, she is facing a future with crashing debt looming over her. So, with Lydia needing a lodger, Erin needing somewhere to stay - and a mutual friend to bring them together - so begins a tentative relationship.

This is a perfect scenario for lots to happen with both of these wonderful characters, together and separately - and it does. Beautifully written in a smooth, flowing style I found myself immersed in the world of Erin and Lydia very quickly and this novel resonated with my soul. I loved everything about it, and will definitely be looking out for more from this author. Warm and full of empathy, it's both heartwarming and entertaining and I absolutely recommend it to all lovers of women's fiction with a touch of romance. It left me with a feeling of total satisfaction at a book well read, and I'm delighted to give it a full five stars.

My thanks to publisher Aria for my copy via NetGalley, and in particular to Vicky Joss for including me in this Blog Tour. All opinions are both honest and entirely my own, as always.
A delightful multi-generational story of love, loss, friendship and new beginnings.

Erin’s life implodes, when she is betrayed by those she loves, she needs to escape, to rebuild her life. Lydia still in shock from her sudden bereavement, finds that loss isn’t the only emotion she has to contend with. Her financial security is compromised, and taking in lodger seems the only way to make ends meet. The unlikely pair, find that material security isn’t the only benefit of living together, and they forge a friendship that opens up a new lease of life for both.

A chance discovery, reveals more family secrets, and a chance to experience something special for both women.

This is a story full of emotion and poignancy, but there are plenty of humorous moments too. Lydia is a witty woman, and Erin soon realises that age is no barrier to a true friend.

A lighthearted, emotional read, with characters who you can empathise and a heartwarming ethos.

I received a copy of this book from Aria in return for an honest review.
The story is set in England and centers around two women , Erin and Lydia . Lydia is an older lady who has very recently become a widow and has found every aspect of her life turned upside down . Erin has been hurt and deceived in the most deplorable ways by those that claimed to love her the most , both these women now have to take a hard look at their lives and make huge changes that take them on the most delightful journeys.

I love how these too women interacted together each one adding something to the others life at a time it was most needed .

The story was a complete joy to read  , Erin and Lydia are very likable characters , Lydia has an air of mischievousness about her which makes her even lovelier , I could not help smirking while reading about her . My heart went out to Erin , she really did get her heart well and truly trampled on but it did not take away the goodness and kindness in her . Reading about these two inspirational women was an uplifting heartwarming experience.

I received this book in exchange for a review.
Wonderfully feel-good, uplifting and emotional, Abby Williams’ The Time of Our Lives is a warm-hearted, witty and captivating contemporary tale of friendship, loyalty and loss that will make you laugh and cry in equal measure!

Twenty-six year old Erin feels as if she is on the top of the world. Everything she has always wanted is within her reach with a fantastic job, a gorgeous fiance and a brilliant best friend who is always there for her willing to lend a helping hand, a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on. Everything seems to be going Erin’s way and the future looks bright and rosy – until it all comes crashing down around her ears leaving her heartbroken, lonely and with nobody to turn to. Unable to return home to her parents and desperate for a place to lick her wounds and hide from the rest of the world, Erin takes shelter in a room in a house nearby. Only, little does she realise that in her new digs, she is going to find not just a sanctuary, but a place where her life can start over and she can be the happiest she has ever been.

The bottom had fallen out of Lydia’s world when her husband died suddenly. At seventy-six years of age, Lydia thought that life couldn’t possibly hold any further surprises in store for her, however, she soon realises that her husband’s death was only the beginning. As her husband’s skeletons begin to tumble out the closet, she is flabbergasted when she finds out that he has left her in a multitude of crippling debts! What is Lydia going to do now? How can she possibly find all the money required to pay off all of these debts? Taking in a lodger seems to be one step in the right direction to get some money in the bank and when Erin comes into her life, Lydia soon finds a friend in her hour of need and the two bond despite the fifty year age difference between them.

When they find an old letter in the attic which brings to light long-buried secrets, Lydia and Erin decide to grab the bull by the horns and go on the trip of a lifetime. But will they find what they’ve been searching for all this time? Can the two women ever be happy again? One thing is for certain: their friendship is sure to see them through whatever obstacles come their way.

Abby Williams is a pseudonym for top saga writer Fiona Ford and having loved her historical novels, I was really looking forward to The Time of Our Lives and I was certainly not disappointed. Written with plenty of flair and charm, The Time of Our Lives is a poignant, witty, beguiling and emotional tale that proves that you are never too old to take a leap of faith. A book that tugs at the heartstrings and tickles the funny bone, The Time of Our Lives is a fabulous page-turner full of wonderfully realized characters you cannot help but care about and cheer for.

A fabulous tale that would make for a fantastic big-screen adaptation, The Time of Our Lives is a funny, thought-provoking and irresistible read from a brilliant talent in contemporary women’s fiction: Abby Williams.
This was a beautiful and touching story about friendship, emotions and discovering your true self.
Two women from very different generations, brought together by life's misfortunes not only become housemates but best friends. Helping each other through grief, heal broken hearts and tackle loneliness they prove friendship is not defined by age.

With alternating points of view, I loved how the author crossed between ages, beliefs and personalities with ease.

I thought this to be a lovely, emotional story - a lovely summer read. I liked this much more than I thought I would and I'm not ashamed to say I may even have shed a tear!

Thanks to @netgalley and @ariafiction for an advanced eARC in exchange for an honest review.
We meet the wonderful Lydia recently after her husband passes away. She realises her beloved husband had been keeping secrets leading her son to convince her that she must take in a lodger to make ends meet. With this in mind she meets with the lovely, yet sad, Erin. We’ve seen that twenty-six-year-old Erin has had a difficult time and needs a new start - her fiancé and best friend betrayed her.
Erin moves in and over the following days and weeks we see how both women bring out the better qualities in each other and provide the support each needs to move forward instead of looking back and dwelling on the past.

Honestly, I adored it from the moment these two women met. I was totally absorbed into their lives. Both characters complimented each other fantastically, although both were quite feisty and opinionated. I think they are both brilliant and loved that the emphasis of the book was their relationship and how they helped each other.
We read how each character dusts themselves off and both move on with their lives – even with an age difference they learn so much from the other. They both go on quite a journey in the short time they know each other, there are great successes, heart-warming moments that had me smiling from ear to ear but also failures and disappointments. Throughout it all they have each other; I found myself smiling, laughing but then feeling very empathetic to their situations.
This book is very nicely written, you get a good sense of the atmosphere – their excitement, disappointments, the sadness and the loves each character lives through. We are introduced to a lovely selection of additional characters, although there will be a couple you will instantly dislike.   The perspective changes between Erin and Lydia but it’s done very well and I really enjoy getting two views of events throughout.
I enjoyed how the book encompassed the realities of life, that everything isn’t always perfect, but you live through the moments, you learn, and you continue the best path for you.
Here’s to friendship and having those who support and love you always.
I would highly recommend this book.