Vanishing Fleece

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Oct 2019

In VANISHING FLEECE, Clara Parkes' love song to American wool, follow the journey of her "Great White Bale" project. The tale follows her 676 pound bale of Saxon Merino wool from Eugene's sheep farm in Goshen, NY. Parkes' clear and beautiful writing shows us why the domestic yarn industry deserves our support.

It's a book you'll want to linger over and savor, however you may find yourself like Parkes, jumping in and seeing where the bale takes her next. I devoured this book in one sitting on a rainy afternoon.

Do you need to be a knitter to enjoy VANISHING FLEECE? No. Parkes writing is approachable and comfortable. This is a book for those who care about what they put in their bodies, and what they put on them. It is for those skeptical that you can find good, affordable, domestically processed wool, or that one should.
Disclaimer: I was given an ARC of this book by Abrams Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have to admit that I am a huge fan on Clara Parkes work and since I am an Indie yarn dyer, I found this behind the scenes look at the processing of wool fascinating!

This book follows the entire process from the raw wool bale to the finished skein.  She sends a quarter of the bale to 4 different mill to be processed in different way and then has the yarn dyed by different methods.  By doing this Clara Parkes is able to explore a variety of different methods that are used in the wool industry.

As someone who makes their living in one aspect of the fiber industry, it is wonderful to get a glimpse into the processes that lead up to where my portion of this amazing industry comes in.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the fiber industry, as well as how things are made in general!
I received an ARC of this book to read through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. I was delighted to be chosen to review Clara Parkes new book Vanishing Fleece, Adventures in American Wool because I’ve enjoyed reading her previous books and was curious about the process of how wool goes from the sheep to the skein of wool that I purchase for my knitting.
The story began when Clara was offered a bale of wool from a sheep farmer with whom she was acquainted. This lead her to wonder what could I do do with a bale of wool and so began an exploration of the wool industry in the U.S. I found the tale of how the wool goes from sheep to skein intriguing and it’s given me a new appreciation for the lovely yarns in my stash. Learning about the process and the people involved in keeping the American wool industry alive was fascinating and I highly recommend reading this book.   Publishing date October 1, 2019. #VanishingFleece #NetGalley #ClaraParkes #AmericanWool #Bookstagram  #KnittingBooks
Goodreads Rating: 4 stars

A delightful memoir and behind-the-scenes look at the processes behind turning a bale of wool into yarn. Parkes' writing is always engaging and finely balances technical writing with recollections of her adventures into the world of wool production.

Having decided to purchase a bale of wool, Parkes decided to follow the processing of the regionally-sourced bale, from scouring to spinning to dyeing. Her "Great White Bale" project spanned the country as each of the quarters of her bale got processed at different mills into different weights of yarns and then dyed using a variety of methods. From one of the smallest mills in the country to a commercial mill (that's mainly known for spinning the yarn that wraps baseball cores) Parkes highlights the struggles of mills to stay afloat in the market and the difficulties finding parts for their ageing equipment, but also highlights the pride of these companies, continuing an American tradition as well they can in a society that doesn't value wool nearly as much as it used. Her yarns also go to different kinds of dyers (natural, hand-dying, and commercial) to highlight their processes and how the different yarn will react with different dyes.

I loved each chapter highlighting a different point in the process, and I thought it was quite kind of all these companies, large and small, to let Parkes shadow them along the way, watching her bale get turned into colorful string. While the book is obviously going to be appealing to knitters and other fiber artists, Parkes also uses language that  describes some of the processes and terms for the layperson who might just be curious into the wool processing process--it's definitely accessible to all readers!

My only issue with the book was that there were no pictures at all. I can't say if there won't be any pictures in the final copy, since I read an ARC, but it's a book that's definitely deserving of them. While I understand if Parkes/the publisher couldn't obtain permission to use them from the various companies she worked with, there at least could have been some pictures of the Great White Bale itself, Eugene's farm, and the final yarns before and after dyeing. Pictures of the plants and mills would have been even better. It's about the only thing that kept this from being a full 5 stars in my Goodreads rating.

Highly recommended, and a highly enjoyable read!
Clara Parker’s meets shepherds, dyers and Miller’s of wool. She spent time traveling the country in search of the perfect yarn. Fascinating, well written book.
Clara Parkes is the queen of yarn.  She is the ultimate authority and has been for a decade or more.  It has been a beautiful experience following along on her journey from an inkling of and idea to receiving the giant bale of fleece and having to figure out the logistics of what to do next.

How this bale became yarn along the journey was a wonder to behold. This books isn't just for fiber enthusiasts, fans of How It's Made or anyone who wonders how the everyday items around us come into being will enjoy this adventure.
I read another book roughly at the same time about the same topic and sadly this made this book so much less enjoyable. The other book hit the spot completely and made the things that are lacking in this book stand out even more. Don't get me wrong, this is a good book, but with this type of book, you always want to have your questions answered and I felt that the things I wanted to know where simply not within this book.
Vanishing Fleece by Clara Parkes is a guided tour through that American wool industry. As a handspinner and knitter, I found this book fascinating. I am accustomed to purchasing my wool in roving form, already processed and dyed by others, ready to spin on a wheel or spindle. I'd been vaguely aware that a lot of work went into moving fiber from sheep to skein, but I hadn't realized how precarious the industry is, with limited numbers of scourers and mills, seemingly all walking a tightrope to stay in business.

Following Parkes journey as she follows a bale (676 pounds!) of wool from scouring, through spinning, and dyeing, was surprisingly fascinating. Each chapter flew by as we traveled through the process, visiting mills with various types of historical and modern machines. It was an eye-opening revelation about the state of the wool industry.

I especially enjoyed the chapter on the Blackberry Ridge Woolen Mill in Mt. Horeb, WI. I feel a special affection for that mill. I've knit four shawls from their lovely yarn, including the shawl I wore at my wedding. I'd never visited the site, and reading about the mill felt very personal,

My primary criticism/wish is that I would have liked photographs. I read an advanced copy, so this may change in the published version, but Parkes mentioned taking photographs so many times in the book that I would have loved to have seen some, or had a link to a website where I could see some.

This book ends on a note of hope for the wool industry in the US. Though it's clear that the road is long and bumpy, Parkes describes the folks willing to travel that road and continue to provide avocational spinners and knitters with the wool we love.
As a spinner, knitter, dyed and Weaver I am so pleased with this book.

It’s about knitting through the British Isles, a knitting journey lasting a year. Lot’s of history, myth, and wonderful refers to the countryside and sheep breeds and their history. I discovered that worsted, a tightly spun, smooth yarn, comes from Worstead, a tiny village in Norfolk. That I didn’t know.

Basically if you love wool, knitting, sheep then read it, buy it for knitting friends. It’s a truly lovely read.

Thanks to NetGalley and publishers.
A wonderful journey in the life of a bale of newly shorn wool. Being a fibre artist who has used wool in many works, as well as having my own merino sheep (one) which, we shear and I spin the fleece, this book really intrigued me to follow the journey of  this fleece commercially.
It seems that whilst the big companies are dying out, I find here in Australia we have a growing boutique industry that specialise and are producing fabulous wools, just as in America.
A fascinating and interesting book well told.
After being raised by a veterinarian in a rural community, I was excited to learn about the fleece/sheeping industry. Unfortunately I had technical difficulties with the download and was unable to read this title.
Clara Parkes is a well-known figure in the world of knitting and crochet. Her website, Knitter's Review, was a source of online information on all things knitty long before Ravelry came into being; she wrote The Knitter's Book of Wool, The Knitter's Book of Yarn and The Knitter's Book of Socks, invaluable resources for crafters seeking to understand more about the ways that fibre content and construction influence the way a yarn will behave and what it will work well for. Her more recent books, The Yarn Whisperer, Knitlandia and A Stash of One's Own, have been collections of personal essays about yarn and her life with it; she's probably one of the few people to have become a big name in the yarn world because of something other than dyeing or designing.

Her new book, Vanishing Fleece, tells the story of what happened when a farming acquaintance offered her a 676-pound bale of superfine fleece from his small flock of Saxon Merino sheep. Parkes accepts the challenge, and embarks on a journey to learn about the stages of processing by which her bale of fleece will become yarn; scouring, carding, spinning, dyeing. It's also a look at the declining American textile industry, tenaciously clinging on despite stiff competition from overseas production, weaving the stories of the people she meets together with descriptions of the processes her fibre goes through. I found it a fascinating read, and a hugely entertaining one as well, thanks to the chatty, humorous tone of the writing. I knit a lot less these days than I used to, but this made me long to have needles and yarn in my hands. If only I could knit and read at the same time! (I sort of can with ebooks, but don't ever quite manage either as well as I'd like.)

Thanks to Netgalley for an advance review copy of this.
Vanishing Fleece takes us on a journey across the country (with 676 pounds of fleece, fresh off the sheep) and shows us the steps that turn fleece into yarn. Along the way we find out more about small farmers and niche mechanical systems and how they struggle to keep working in the face of overseas competition. This narrative gives me new appreciation for my yarn stash and the people who make it possible.
A must for anyone who uses wool. Knitting, spinning,weaving, or just wearing it. A whole education of the processes involved in yarn production. From sheep to yarn. A lesson for all those who want to buy American. We should all be trying our best to support American manufacturing in anyway we can.
A charming tale of Clara Parkes her bale of wool and the people artisans she meets on the way to have her bale changed into knitting world. As  she travels from a sheep farm where we read about the tradition of coming together to sheer the wool onto dyers of the wool a very special technique.Every stop along the path meeting all these interesting people leads her and her bail to the final product.knitting wool.A fast charming informative read a book any knitter would love or anyone interested in crafts handed down from artisan to artisan.#netgalley #abramsbooks.