The Woman in the White Kimono

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Oct 2019

I really enjoyed this book, to the point where I was fighting sleep as I didn't want to put it down.

This was a wonderful read of a daughter discovering her father's past after his passing.  The story is believable,  enjoyable and heartbreaking all at once.

It follows a young couple falling in love in Japan, particularly focusing on the shame that is cast on the female and her family for loving an American and the consequences for such love.

I have added this to my "re-read" pile and may be reading it it again soon!
Wow!!  The Woman in the White Kimono is a breathtaking poignant book that I was honoured to read.  Thank. You Net Galley, Ana Johns and Legend Press for allowing me to read this beautiful book.  To say that this is a love story between a Japanese girl and an American Sailor in 1957 does not do it justice. The story is told in flashbacks to 1957 and then to present day. Naoko lived such a sad and devastating life in 1957-58. As her story unfolds I wanted to step into the book and take care of her.  What she went through was horrible and while it is fiction it was very much the true story of thousands of Japanese woman during that time.  The book begins with Tori sitting at her father’s side as he slowly dies. He regales her with stories that she has always understood to be tall tales but after his death she find out there was a lot of truth to these stories. The book finds her traveling to Japan to find the truth. It had me quickly reading as I wanted to find the truth. The author has such a magical way of writing that you will feel you are there.  The description paints the picture with a few words that will enable you to feel the rain or smell the flowers.   I absolutely adored this book and it is one that I will read again.  My hart hurt as the story progressed and it will leave you in tears.  A story of a love lost bit of a love that never ended.
This is one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. The story is full of love, heartache. tears....it will stick with you for a long time. Love of family, loss of family and lifelong dreams..I really don't have the words to adequately describe the beauty of this Chinese/American tale. I admire the Asian culture and read quite a few historical fictions in that field...this one left me breathless. A must read!! I will be watching for Ana Johns in the future!
I went to Netgalley as soon as I saw the e-mail I was approved for this title (within an hour of it being sent), but it was already archived. :-( It would be great if there is a way for me to read and review it anyway.
This is a heartbreaking and incredible story. There is so much love and loss in this riveting read. I was totally caught up in this story and the facts it is based on. It is a book that will stay with me for a long time.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Riveting and harrowing. This book is so well written, giving insights into Japanese life and culture. I was interested in  the Japanese language and explanations. The story of an upper class girl falling in love with an American Marine, their struggle to be together and the birth of their child, this is Interwoven with an American journalists trying to find out about her Fathers past life. Little known facts about the mixed race children born to Japanese women.
This book is different from those I normally read but I can’t recommend it highly enough. The storyline weaves between present day USA and 1950’s Japan and with each chapter the threads of the story are pulled a little closer together. It introduced me to an area of history which I was largely ignorant of, and which I now want to explore further. If you read this book I feel it will stay with you for a long time.
I love historical fiction written in deal timeline format. It's even better if there's another country involved, so it's richer. And I absolutely adored this book. It's set in present day America, post-war Japan 1957 and present day Japan.
It's beautifully written talking about many issues like arranged marriage, family traditions, loss in Post-war Japan. It's hopeful at times, and heartbreaking at others. It's very well written & poignant. It will definitely reach to your heart.
Thanks a lot to Netgalley and the publisher for this copy in exchange for an honest review.
Fantastic historical fiction book with a dual timeline. The first timeline is set in Japan in 1957 and the second is set in America in the present day. The writing is great and I found it easy to settle into the flow of the story. If you enjoy historical fiction books, then you need to check this one out.
This is a beautifully  written first novel by Ana Johns. It is set in present day America and post-war Japan 1957 and present day Japan.
It covers love,arranged marriage, pregnancy , family traditions, hope, heartbreak and loss in Post-war Japan. A very poignant book which brought tears to my eyes at the end.
Thank you to Netgalley for an A.r.c. Also to the author for writing such an excellent book about Japanese post-war history and the notes at the end of the book.
The woman in The White Kimono is not my usual 'go for it book'. O no. It's going more into historical fiction side that mostly wasn't my cup of tea.
Yet here I am giving this one five stars and having my emotions all over the place.
This story is told in two spans of time:
1. 1957 - a story of a young girl that fell for an American man and her family is against their marriage. This part of the story was devastating as it was from Naoko's perspective that just wanted to have her loved ones and be true to herself.
2. Present time - a woman learns something about her fathers past. Nothing is what it seemed. One thing makes her decide that it's time to discover the past of her father.
How are those two women connected? Will it be what everyone was expecting in the end?
Read this beautiful and cry worthy book to find out.
The Woman in the White Kimono is a heartwrenching novel, yet it does contain hope an persistance. I loved the writing style of the author and the book contains several nuggets of wisdom, such as “Worrying gives small things big shadows.”.

In general, it's a beautifully written book about a dark chapter of Japan's history.
The Woman in the White Kimono is a dual timeline story of a woman, Tori, whose father is dying in present day America, and a Japanese woman who wants to marry a gaijin post-WW2 Japan (1957).

There are some good lines in this novel—like, if you’re going to eat poison, you may as well clean your plate—credited to the grandmother of the Japanese woman, Naoko. That’s the love story portion of the book. The other storyline is about a daughter losing her father, a very personal plot for me.

Without giving too much away, after Tori’s father passes, she reads a letter with a shocking revelation she can no longer discuss with her dad. Luckily, she’s an investigative journalist so this is kind of her jam. She chases down a personal story across the world.

Meanwhile, in the Japan timeline, Naoko is a pregnant newlywed and her husband is away frequently. During a two-week solo, she tries to ignore what her grandmother taught her long ago—bad omens that seem to keep piling up in her life. It wouldn’t be an interesting novel if everything went smoothly now would it?

This novel had many moving quotes. Below are just a few that spoke to me.

“In life, the wise make their own heaven while the fool complains of hell, but I think both are inevitable, and both are temporary.”

“Worrying gives small things big shadows.”

“Sorrow and happiness do not pass. They burrow in deep and become our bones. We stand on their uneven legs, trying to keep balance when there is none. There is only love.”

This is a moving, remarkable story about the love between a parent and a child.
The woman in the white kimino is a heart wrenching story for historical fiction fans. The book switches between the present and past  with Tori's and Naoko's perspective.

1959's Japan shows us Naoko who is in love with an American soldier. This is shameful to her family, who do not support the match . Finding herself pregnant she is torn from her family and must make decisions which will follow her for a lifetime.

The present day is set in the US with Tori the daughter of an American solider, who is terminally ill. She recieves a letter that will take her on a journey to Japan to discover her father's lifelong secret.

I found myself unable to stop reading for wanting to find out how Naokos story ended and  how it entwined with Tori's. The ending was  heartbreaking and hit me on quite a personal level for several reasons.

The author explains the elements of truth to the story which makes it all the more harrowing for me. A brilliant debut novel from Ana John's.
I have just devoured this stunning piece of literature and wish I could re-read it for the first time.  It's the kind of book I feel the need to hug close to me after.  It moved me to tears and made my heart soar.  Though told in two different times, the story flowed beautifully.  I wholeheartedly recommend this book, enjoy.
An exceptionally told story.

The story is told in two timelines- 1950s and present day.
The writing style is both poetic and beautiful.
This book has a powerful and poignant story. I would recommend this book for fans of historical fiction
The Woman in the White Kimono is predominantly set in Japan during the late 1950s, as well as present day, and is told from two different perspectives; Tori, a young journalist who journeys to Japan after her father's death to unravel the secrets of his past and to find the family he may have left behind, and Naoko, a young Japanese girl whose forbidden love for an American soldier will change her life forever.

The prose is vivid and expressive. The characters are multi-layered, vulnerable, and resilient. And the plot is a profoundly moving tale about life, love, familial relationships, heartbreak, loss, guilt, grief, desperation, courage, hope, and regret.
A brilliant debut novel which is a love story but also a history lesson into the post war liaison of America servicemen and Japanese women and the consequences of their actions.
It tells how the different values of both societies dealt with these relationships with devastating consequences
Ana Johns' novel exposes a bitter consequence of the war and subsequent occupation of Japan by Americans. I do not want to give away the story, but young Japanese girls who carried the fetuses of American soldiers, were shunned by both the soldiers and their own families, half breeds were impure and would only bring curses to them. It was considered preferable to sacrifice the babies, to spare themselves and the babies a lifetime of misery. The Woman in the White Kimono, is the story of Naoko, and Hajime, a young Marine,in 1957 Japan,  and Tori and her dad Jimmy (Hajime) in present day America. In telling Jimmy's  story, Ana Johns tells the story that belongs to the marines, the Japanese young women, and all the babies who may, or may not, have survived. I appreciate all the research that went into creating this fictional interpretation of actual events. This is definitely a 5 star read. Thank you #netgalley for the digital copy of #thwomaninthewhitekimono. In stores now.
A remarkable and well written story.  The weaving of past (Japan of 1957) and present bring about a wonderful and emotional story of forbidden love, pregnancy, a secret family.